Ten Things You Hate About Christmas?!?

Ten things you hate about Christmas?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. So, what are the things you hate about christmas???

• The fake cheer and fake smiles
    • Soft presents (not another pair of socks!!!)
    • Santa Claus nonsense
    • The infernal christmas music and songs
    • The church going
    • Seeing annoying relatives (and having to listen to their yarns!)
    • Overdone christmas decorations
    • Strangers wishing you merry christmas on streets (are they drunk?)
    • The christmas shopping for presents
    • Greasy christmas foods

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

None of the ones on the list. I really really hate though that EVERY YEAR my mom cries at the strike of midnight and starts rambling about all of our relatives who died, specially her parents. I know

Failed to produce biblical evidence?? I never tried that!! I know there is nothing related to Christmas there. I know Christmas was an invention for making this new religion grow more up. I know they

Oh yes, now I can see I read wrong :icon_lol: :icon_lol: My apologies. Regarding Santa, I know he is a fantasy, specialy our modern Santa, fat man wearing red winter clothes (invented in USA I thin

The question is... Do you love Christmas knowing it as a false doctrine?  Are you unaware of it's pre-christian pagan roots? Most lovers of Christmas are.

If you read my yesterday post here then you will see I know very well what Christmas is: pre-christian pagan root, symbolic day of Jesus Birthdays and symbol of repression too.

Still I love it :p

If you read my yesterday post here then you will see I know very well what Christmas is: pre-christian pagan root, symbolic day of Jesus Birthdays and symbol of repression too.

Still I love it :p

It is only symbolic to those that don't know any better, or to those that don't care. The symbolism is based upon an unbiblical practice. Many today cry, "Lets put Christ back into Christmas".  But the truth is Christ was never in Christmas. Still millions of people like yourself love fantasy.

Personally I do not understand why people argue about when Jesus was born exaclty. Or where exactly.

-It does not matter!! IT's not relevant to Jesuses teachings!!

-What is important is to realize that Jesus in THE only path to salvation.

Praying to saints and stuff and doing good things is no help there. Only Jesus can save you!

And I mean it!

Although it leads me to question the authenticity of the person himself, you're right. People don't know whether Socrates existed either, but his teachings have been hugely important. I don't suscribe to Jesus' teachings, and probably never will, but I do adhere to the Socratic method of debate, inquiry, critical thinking and scepticism. Ergo, it doesn't make a difference to me whether or not Socrates did exist, and I see that you adopt a similar stance on Jesus. ^

It is only symbolic to those that don't know any better, or to those that don't care. The symbolism is based upon an unbiblical practice. Many today cry, "Lets put Christ back into Christmas".  But the truth is Christ was never in Christmas. Still millions of people like yourself love fantasy.

Of course I love fantasy!! And you too as per your signature :D BTW, I like a lot your signature :p

Something else: do you know the EXACTLY day of Jesus birthday?

Of course I love fantasy!! And you too as per your signature :D BTW, I like a lot your signature :p

Something else: do you know the EXACTLY day of Jesus birthday?

That depends on whether Jesus actually existed or not, so it's doubtful that anybody will ever uncover Jesus' actual birthday. However, from the information given, most scholars have extrapolated that his birthday would be around the spring or the summer - also in line with what Sheldon said in one episode.

That depends on whether Jesus actually existed or not, so it's doubtful that anybody will ever uncover Jesus' actual birthday. However, from the information given, most scholars have extrapolated that his birthday would be around the spring or the summer - also in line with what Sheldon said in one episode.

Yes, I know this, that is why I accept Christmas as a symbolic day of his birthdays.

So, if we, as Christians are to observe Christ's birth, why doesn't the Bible bother to mention the date? Why is no mention ever made of Christ celebrating his own birth? Why is no mention made of his disciples celebrating it either? Why didn't Christ tell his followers to observe it? It's because we're not supposed to. The date of December 25th was chosen to coincide with a pagan sun festival. Everything about Christmas is false. The three wise men weren't three wise men, they were spies sent by the King to flush out Jesus, so he could be killed. While they did have a change of heart, they did not find Jesus as a baby in a manger. When they finally arrived, the Bible states that Jesus was playing in another room of the house. This was probably a couple of years after his actual birth. Also, the "wise men" were astrologers, something the Bible strictly forbids. Besides, these "wise men" gave gifts to Christ, not to each other, as is now done. The Bible also says that the day of death is far more important than the day of birth. This is because at the day of birth, no deeds have yet been accomplished. This is probably why the only thing Christ told his followers to continue doing in his name as far as a ritual or celebration was to honor what is now called the last supper. There is no Biblical basis for celebrating Christ's birth, but there is a lot of evidence to not celebrate it. If we were supposed to celebrate Christ's birth, the Bible would have told us to. Instead, it doesn't even bother mentioning when it was.

Then there's the whole Santa Clause thing currently going on. What does that have to do with anything regarding Christ? A magical elf that brings toys to good children... Really? This is a complete lie. Do you think God and Jesus condone flat out lies? People always say, How can you tell a child there is no Santa? My question is, how can anyone claiming to be a Christian that lives by Christ's teachings, tell a child there is a magical elf who rides a sleigh powered by eight reindeer, and hands out presents all over the entire planet in the course of one night? That is a lie. If you REALLY look at it, Christmas is much more likely offensive to God & Jesus than anything else. Celebrating this false Christian holiday is living in denial and in opposition to Biblical principle. Again, Christmas has NOTHING to do with Christ. It is for Pagans, the truly ignorant and those who have no desire to accept Biblical truth or follow it. I don't shun Christmas because I don't believe in Christ... I don't celebrate it because I don't want to offend him (and because it's silly). Maybe the fact that the way Christmas is celebrated is so off the wall is God's doing... Maybe it's his way of telling us it's B.S.and to stay away from it?

On a lighter note, do you think it's a coincidence that Santa & Satan is an anagram?

• Like 1

So, if we, as Christians are to observe Christ's birth, why doesn't the Bible bother to mention the date? Why is no mention ever made of Christ celebrating his own birth? Why is no mention made of his disciples celebrating it either? Why didn't Christ tell his followers to observe it? It's because we're not supposed to. The date of December 25th was chosen to coincide with a pagan sun festival. Everything about Christmas is false. The three wise men weren't three wise men, they were spies sent by the King to flush out Jesus, so he could be killed. While they did have a change of heart, they did not find Jesus as a baby in a manger. When they finally arrived, the Bible states that Jesus was playing in another room of the house. This was probably a couple of years after his actual birth. Also, the "wise men" were astrologers, something the Bible strictly forbids. Besides, these "wise men" gave gifts to Christ, not to each other, as is now done. The Bible also says that the day of death is far more important than the day of birth. This is because at the day of birth, no deeds have yet been accomplished. This is probably why the only thing Christ told his followers to continue doing in his name as far as a ritual or celebration was to honor what is now called the last supper. There is no Biblical basis for celebrating Christ's birth, but there is a lot of evidence to not celebrate it. If we were supposed to celebrate Christ's birth, the Bible would have told us to. Instead, it doesn't even bother mentioning when it was.

Then there's the whole Santa Clause thing currently going on. What does that have to do with anything regarding Christ? A magical elf that brings toys to good children... Really? This is a complete lie. Do you think God and Jesus condone flat out lies? People always say, How can you tell a child there is no Santa? My question is, how can anyone claiming to be a Christian that lives by Christ's teachings, tell a child there is a magical elf who rides a sleigh powered by eight reindeer, and hands out presents all over the entire planet in the course of one night? That is a lie. If you REALLY look at it, Christmas is much more likely offensive to God & Jesus than anything else. Celebrating this false Christian holiday is living in denial and in opposition to Biblical principle. Again, Christmas has NOTHING to do with Christ. It is for Pagans, the truly ignorant and those who have no desire to accept Biblical truth or follow it. I don't shun Christmas because I don't believe in Christ... I don't celebrate it because I don't want to offend him (and because it's silly). Maybe the fact that the way Christmas is celebrated is so off the wall is God's doing... Maybe it's his way of telling us it's B.S.and to stay away from it?

On a lighter note, do you think it's a coincidence that Santa & Satan is an anagram?

Hmm, is very strange your speech.... You say you don´t believe in Jesus but you don´t celebrate Christmas because you don´t want to offend him??  :icon_eek:  And you don´t believe in Jesus but you believe in the Bible and you concern about what is written there?

Regarding the anagram Santa& Satan, it doesn´t have any importance because Santa Claus is the English name only (and maybe few other countries will use it too) but in Spanish we say "Papá Noel", means father Noel, so there is not anagram at all. Santa Claus is not an universal name for him. It is called different in lot of countries, like Saint Nicholas, Papá Noel, Father Christmas, etc.

Hmm, is very strange your speech.... You say you don´t believe in Jesus but you don´t celebrate Christmas because you don´t want to offend him??  :icon_eek:  And you don´t believe in Jesus but you believe in the Bible and you concern about what is written there?

Regarding the anagram Santa& Satan, it doesn´t have any importance because Santa Claus is the English name only (and maybe few other countries will use it too) but in Spanish we say "Papá Noel", means father Noel, so there is not anagram at all. Santa Claus is not an universal name for him. It is called different in lot of countries, like Saint Nicholas, Papá Noel, Father Christmas, etc.

Where did I say I don't believe in Jesus?... I never said that.  If you're talking about my saying I don't shun Christmas because I don't believe in Jesus... You're simply reading it wrong. What I meant by that statement is that the reason I shun Christmas ISN'T because I don't believe I Jesus, because I do. The problem with written word (as opposed to spoken) is that you can't decipher how something is being said.

As for the Santa/Satan thing... That was not meant to be taken seriously. No matter, he's a lie by whatever name you call him.

Edited by Anomaly
  • Like 1

Where did I say I don't believe in Jesus?... I never said that.  If you're talking about my saying I don't shun Christmas because I don't believe in Jesus... You're simply reading it wrong. What I meant by that statement is that the reason I shun Christmas ISN'T because I don't believe I Jesus, because I do. The problem with written word (as opposed to spoken) is that you can't decipher how something is being said.

As for the Santa/Satan thing... That was not meant to be taken seriously. No matter, he's a lie by whatever name you call him.

Oh yes, now I can see I read wrong :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: My apologies.

Regarding Santa, I know he is a fantasy, specialy our modern Santa, fat man wearing red winter clothes (invented in USA I think). I suppose you mean he is not related to Jesus birth and that is why he is a lie. I think Christmas has two celebrations or you can say two points of view: one is the people going to church and believing this is Jesus birthday. Second is the people using this celebration as a meeting with the family and friends, exchanging presents, eating together, etc. Even these people too know Christmas is "Jesus birthday" but they are more concern with a party with their Children and relatives, they don´t go to church usually. In this second case Santa Claus is a good part of the celebration.

But in both of the cases you can see this celebration is good, with love, that is why I like Christmas :)

• Like 2

One of the things I love about TBBT is it's maticulous dedication to using facts. All the science in the scripts are real science. Even the equations on the whiteboards are real.

In the episode, "The Bath Gift Hypothesis" which is centred at Christmas, Leonard quotes the line... "It's a Saturnalia miracle".

Satunalia was a pagan pre-Christian Roman fesitval. The worship of the sun god.

Saturnalia is the root of Christmas. The Romans in an attempt make Chritianity acceptable to their pagan population simply changed the name of Satunlia to Christmas. Then instead of worshipping the sun god, they began worsipping the god son, calling him Jesus.

Today's professing Christian Churches claim that was a clever move in order to adopt pagans into Christianity. However, that is false...Today's professing churches are the ones who have adopted and practice pagan doctines.

• Like 1

Oh yes, now I can see I read wrong :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: My apologies.

Regarding Santa, I know he is a fantasy, specialy our modern Santa, fat man wearing red winter clothes (invented in USA I think). I suppose you mean he is not related to Jesus birth and that is why he is a lie. I think Christmas has two celebrations or you can say two points of view: one is the people going to church and believing this is Jesus birthday. Second is the people using this celebration as a meeting with the family and friends, exchanging presents, eating together, etc. Even these people too know Christmas is "Jesus birthday" but they are more concern with a party with their Children and relatives, they don´t go to church usually. In this second case Santa Claus is a good part of the celebration.

But in both of the cases you can see this celebration is good, with love, that is why I like Christmas :)

The celebration of Christmas is not good. How can it be when it is a lie.

The ninth commandment of God is.... Thou Shall Not Lie.

These debates are one of the things I hate about Christmas. :)  I figure if you believe Jesus was the literal son of God, then it's not unreasonable to want to celebrate his bizarre miraculous birth to a virgin, whether or not there's anything in the Bible that suggests such a celebration is appropriate.  I personally feel most of what we know about Jesus' life, origins, and family is myth, and that it's his teachings that should be the focus of Christianity.  

It's a shame that it's become so grossly commercialized, but what I love about Christmas is what it's supposed to be (outside of the religious celebration) - a time where family and generosity are celebrated. 

These debates are one of the things I hate about Christmas. :)  I figure if you believe Jesus was the literal son of God, then it's not unreasonable to want to celebrate his bizarre miraculous birth to a virgin, whether or not there's anything in the Bible that suggests such a celebration is appropriate.  I personally feel most of what we know about Jesus' life, origins, and family is myth, and that it's his teachings that should be the focus of Christianity.  

It's a shame that it's become so grossly commercialized, but what I love about Christmas is what it's supposed to be (outside of the religious celebration) - a time where family and generosity are celebrated. 

And with your words this debate got the end! It is exactly as you are saying here. nothing more to add :)

And with your words this debate got the end! It is exactly as you are saying here. nothing more to add :)

I didn't realise you had the power to call an end to the debate just because you have nothing more to add. I still have something to add.....

Those like youself, that have professed their love for Christmas, have failed to produce any biblical evidence supporting God's approval of the festival.

I didn't realise you had the power to call an end to the debate just because you have nothing more to add. I still have something to add.....

Those like youself, that have professed their love for Christmas, have failed to produce any biblical evidence supporting God's approval of the festival.

Failed to produce biblical evidence?? I never tried that!! I know there is nothing related to Christmas there. I know Christmas was an invention for making this new religion grow more up. I know they chose a Pagan celebration date for making people accept this celebration in their hearts easier. It is not me who you should argue about this but the people who goes to Church in this date and pray thinking this is Jesus birthdays, and to the priest who tell this to people. I don´t go to church. I only think this date REPRESENT something good. Jesus birth was something very special for humanity and all Christians are happy for this. So, why should I feel angry or upset if people celebrate it even it is fake date? It is a moment for being with family and friends and to exchange presents and nothing more. I feel there is something "magic" in Christmas :)

And regarding my power for finishing a topic...dear, that was only an expression. I think that wannamaker resumed what I think about this topic with very good words so I felt there is nothing more to add (from my side) ok, I should write next time the words "from my side". I thought it is something implicit but I can see it is not. Next time I write it.

• Like 2

That's because my position is that Biblical evidence supporting approval is unnecessary. Therefore I am not going to seek any such evidence.

Here's my thought. If one believes that Jesus is the actual, literal son of God, born of a virgin and all like it says in the bible, then why WOULDN'T one celebrate his birthday? Regardless of when it may have actually occurred in the calendar, if you accept that Jesus was real, that he was born in the manner described, then his birth is indeed a fair damn miracle that should probably be observed, yes? So a date was chosen, a symbolic date that for centuries was a celebration of the rebirth of the god out of the depth of darkness. Makes sense to me. 

My personal belief is that Jesus was real and said a lot of important things about the value of tolerance, compassion, and loving your neighbor as the way to lead a virtuous life. All the rest of it, I think, is open to interpretation. Christmas has traditionally been the time where those values of compassion and love for others - setting yourself aside for a while to think about others, basically - is celebrated. So, I enjoy Christmas for what it means, rather than what it literally "is."

Edited by Europa
  • Like 1

It's not just a fake date. Other than Christ being born, everything, I repeat EVERYTHING about Christmas is a complete & utter LIE. We, as Christians are commanded not to lie. Thus, we should not tale part in a lie. Especially one that (judging by the evidence) is personally offensive to Christ. It is that simple.

As for taking a Pagan festival and turning it into Christmas, the Bible forbids that... Read Exodus 32. The Israelites adapted an Egyptian religious practice and renamed it the Festival of God. They were punished for doing so. Some of you may not need a Biblical "okay" to celebrate a fake holiday, but I've just given you a Biblical reason not to (I've actually given you many). Sadly, most people aren't interested in opening their eyes to truth... They just want to feel comfortable about the things they already do, with right or wrong having no importance.

Failed to produce biblical evidence?? I never tried that!! I know there is nothing related to Christmas there. I know Christmas was an invention for making this new religion grow more up. I know they chose a Pagan celebration date for making people accept this celebration in their hearts easier. It is not me who you should argue about this but the people who goes to Church in this date and pray thinking this is Jesus birthdays, and to the priest who tell this to people. I don´t go to church. I only think this date REPRESENT something good. Jesus birth was something very special for humanity and all Christians are happy for this. So, why should I feel angry or upset if people celebrate it even it is fake date? It is a moment for being with family and friends and to exchange presents and nothing more. I feel there is something "magic" in Christmas :)

And regarding my power for finishing a topic...dear, that was only an expression. I think that wannamaker resumed what I think about this topic with very good words so I felt there is nothing more to add (from my side) ok, I should write next time the words "from my side". I thought it is something implicit but I can see it is not. Next time I write it.

It's a pity that you didn't try to provide biblical evidence as you might have learned something in the attempt. You state you are aware that Christmas is of pagan roots yet continue to profess love for it. Obviously, you are ignorant that throughout scripture God forbids any form of pagan worship. Let me give you an example....

Jeremiah 10:2-5

....learn not the ways of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven, for the heathen are dismayed at them. (That is referring to the pagan practice of astrology)

For the customs of the people are vain: for one cuts a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.They deck it with silver and gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

The above pagan practice continues today by all who do the same, calling it a Christmas tree. God said, do not do it. Yet in ignorance millions do, because they have failed to grasp God's clear scripture.

You claim you are doing good. Is disobeying God doing good?

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe in the existence of Satan?

Edited by Catweazle

That's because my position is that Biblical evidence supporting approval is unnecessary. Therefore I am not going to seek any such evidence.

Here's my thought. If one believes that Jesus is the actual, literal son of God, born of a virgin and all like it says in the bible, then why WOULDN'T one celebrate his birthday? Regardless of when it may have actually occurred in the calendar, if you accept that Jesus was real, that he was born in the manner described, then his birth is indeed a fair damn miracle that should probably be observed, yes? So a date was chosen, a symbolic date that for centuries was a celebration of the rebirth of the god out of the depth of darkness. Makes sense to me. 

My personal belief is that Jesus was real and said a lot of important things about the value of tolerance, compassion, and loving your neighbor as the way to lead a virtuous life. All the rest of it, I think, is open to interpretation. Christmas has traditionally been the time where those values of compassion and love for others - setting yourself aside for a while to think about others, basically - is celebrated. So, I enjoy Christmas for what it means, rather than what it literally "is."

With regard to God's word (The Bible) your personal belief is Irrelevant.

Obviously, you also have little knowledge of scripture. Relying on your own thoughts and imagination you walk in error.

You claim that God's word is open to interpretation.... What does God say.....

2 Peter 1:20-21

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Edited by Catweazle

To whom it may concern.

I think this is going over the top of biblical proportion.

Should I remind the thread was about ten things you hate about Christmas?
Imposition on other people is not democratic.
Who are you to dictate what other people should believe or not believe?
(*Considering that in this forum maybe are people of different religious doctrines, such as Muslim. Hebrew, and so forth)

Edited by wannamaker
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern.

I think this is going over the top of biblical proportion.

Should I remind the thread was about ten things you hate about Christmas?

Imposition on other people is not democratic.

Who are you to dictate what other people should believe or not believe?

(*Considering that in this forum maybe are people of different religious doctrines, such as Muslim. Hebrew, and so forth)

As the thread's subject is Christmas, it will have little or no effect upon  Muslims, Hebrews and so forth.

You claim the thread is over the top. Maybe it is just over your head.