Ten Things You Hate About Christmas?!?

Ten things you hate about Christmas?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. So, what are the things you hate about christmas???

• The fake cheer and fake smiles
    • Soft presents (not another pair of socks!!!)
    • Santa Claus nonsense
    • The infernal christmas music and songs
    • The church going
    • Seeing annoying relatives (and having to listen to their yarns!)
    • Overdone christmas decorations
    • Strangers wishing you merry christmas on streets (are they drunk?)
    • The christmas shopping for presents
    • Greasy christmas foods

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

None of the ones on the list. I really really hate though that EVERY YEAR my mom cries at the strike of midnight and starts rambling about all of our relatives who died, specially her parents. I know

Failed to produce biblical evidence?? I never tried that!! I know there is nothing related to Christmas there. I know Christmas was an invention for making this new religion grow more up. I know they

Oh yes, now I can see I read wrong :icon_lol: :icon_lol: My apologies. Regarding Santa, I know he is a fantasy, specialy our modern Santa, fat man wearing red winter clothes (invented in USA I thin

And maybe you should stop shoving your religion down other people's throats. Sent from my Asus Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Where did I do that? I have quoted scripture only.

Just in case you didn't notice the thread subject, it's about points of hating Christmas. Do you have anything construtive to offer on the subject?

Edited by Catweazle

With regard to God's word (The Bible) your personal belief is Irrelevant.

Obviously, you also have little knowledge of scripture. Relying on your own thoughts and imagination you walk in error.

And that is your opinion. I actually have a fair knowledge of scripture, but I prefer not to lose sight of the forest for the trees.

This direction this discussion has taken reminds me of one of the things I do not like about Christmas, that is, increased exposure to religious zealots who believe their interpretations - or that of their church, or their particular pastor - is the only correct one, and talk to others with a mixture of condescension and contempt that masquerades as some supposed concern for the souls of others, when really it's just an attempt to feel superior and secure in their own beliefs.

Edited by Europa
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern.

I think this is going over the top of biblical proportion.

Should I remind the thread was about ten things you hate about Christmas?

Imposition on other people is not democratic.

Who are you to dictate what other people should believe or not believe?

(*Considering that in this forum maybe are people of different religious doctrines, such as Muslim. Hebrew, and so forth)

So, in effect, you're saying Christmas has nothing to do with the Bible.

The main thing I dislike about Christmas is that it has no Biblical basis, even though it is touted as a Christian holiday. 

• Like 1

And that is your opinion. I actually have a fair knowledge of scripture, but I prefer not to lose sight of the forest for the trees.

This direction this discussion has taken reminds me of one of the things I do not like about Christmas, that is, increased exposure to religious zealots who believe their interpretations - or that of their church, or their particular pastor - is the only correct one, and talk to others with a mixture of condescension and contempt that masquerades as some supposed concern for the souls of others, when really it's just an attempt to feel superior and secure in their own beliefs.

I can see that you have failed to notice that I have not posted any personal opinion on the subject of Christmas. Is it my opinion that the sky is blue?... No, personal opinion will not change the fact the sky is blue. 

What I have posted is clear scripture, as clear as the blue sky. However, those that claim to know scripture and yet not follow it's example are wearing rose tinted glasses which distorts their vision.

You claim that you have a fair knowledge of scripture. I doubt that. If you have conviction in your claim, and faith in your beliefs, then you should feel at ease discussing and reasoning.

Do you? Can you?

So, in effect, you're saying Christmas has nothing to do with the Bible.

The main thing I dislike about Christmas is that it has no Biblical basis, even though it is touted as a Christian holiday. 

You seems to be a reasonable person and intelligent enough to read between the lines so I dignify you with an answer.

Yes you are right Xmas has nothing to do With the old Testament.

Xmas most of all is a family affair and as such can be interpreted and celebrated according to one's belief.

(You seem to know a fair share of facts maybe you heard or are familiar with The Leonardo da Vinci code book (D.Brown) and movie)

(Why do I mention it? Because in that case Jesus also had a family and a daughter from Mary Magdalene)

Muslims, Jews and other faiths don't believe in Christmas, so his thread will not concern them. Why would they become upset or botherd  with details of doctrines they don't believe in.

You're right on fundamentalist :ph34r:Mulisms who would not be interested to visit this forum.

And the Jews have their annual Hanukkah celebration.as the Festival of Lights and Feast of Dedication,

However didn't I tell you? I myself have close Muslims relatives and assure you they don't hate Xmas, actually  we celebrate Xmas with gifts,cards and decorations and invitations.

:rolleyes:

The Gnostic Gospels...but I gather (from all your talks you done here) you would not open your mind to that theory :D

My mind is open to truth. My mind is open to discerning facts from fiction. Theories and uncanonised documents are not God inspired. I believe 39 documents contained withiin the Bible as God's word.

I take my lead from the Bible, and the Bible does not support Christmas.

You're right on fundamentalist :ph34r:Mulisms who would not be interested to visit this forum.

And the Jews have their annual Hanukkah celebration.as the Festival of Lights and Feast of Dedication,

However didn't I tell you? I myself have close Muslims relatives and assure you they don't hate Xmas, actually  we celebrate Xmas with gifts,cards and decorations and invitations.

:rolleyes:

I fail to see your point.

It's like I've already stated. Muslims and other faiths will have no interest with a doctine that they consider false.

Maybe you should go back and read you original post (#49) in which you implied a negative with regard to other faiths reading this thread.

I can see that you have failed to notice that I have not posted any personal opinion on the subject of Christmas. Is it my opinion that the sky is blue?... No, personal opinion will not change the fact the sky is blue. 

What I have posted is clear scripture, as clear as the blue sky. However, those that claim to know scripture and yet not follow it's example are wearing rose tinted glasses which distorts their vision.

You claim that you have a fair knowledge of scripture. I doubt that. If you have conviction in your claim, and faith in your beliefs, then you should feel at ease discussing and reasoning.

Do you? Can you?

Actually I think your personal opinion - that Christmas is not sanctioned by the bible and shouldn't be followed- has been made fairly clear, if not explicitly stated. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I was raised Catholic and have read the Bible through a couple of times, actually, but I have never been one to memorize verses and I no longer consider myself a Christian. I celebrate Christmas for the reasons I have stated previously, and have zero desire to hunt through the scriptures for chapters and verses supporting the celebration of this holiday. As I said before, if one believes that Jesus is the literal son of God, a miracle birth, God living on the earth, then it seems reasonable to me to want to celebrate the advent of his birth. I'd also suggest that the fact that all the gospels each make a point to tell the story of his birth implies that it's a special occasion and, again, perhaps worthy of celebration.

But all this is neither here nor there with me personally because I do not attend church and do not believe that the Bible is anything other than the inspired works of men. I don't view the scriptures through rose tinted glasses seeing only what I want to see; I view the Bible as a book of history and philosophy. Which has been grossly misused over the centuries, incidentally. This is just my opinion, maybe I'll burn in hell for it, who knows.

I also have no desire to start a debate or argument with you; I was just trying to point out that it's a tricky thing to call one's own interpretation the "right" one when in fact it is still pretty much just one's own interpretation.

(Incidentally I also discovered that one can be beaten up for referring to oneself as "one."  :D) 

I fail to see your point.

It's like I've already stated. Muslims and other faiths will have no interest with a doctine that they consider false.

Dear Catweazie, It doesn't matter to me if you don't see my point, really I can live with that. :D

However I can see yours now

That you and the Jews and Muslims have a common ground in NO HAVING INTEREST IN CHRISTMAS FESTIVITY.

And that's it!

Actually I think your personal opinion - that Christmas is not sanctioned by the bible and shouldn't be followed- has been made fairly clear, if not explicitly stated. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I was raised Catholic and have read the Bible through a couple of times, actually, but I have never been one to memorize verses and I no longer consider myself a Christian. I celebrate Christmas for the reasons I have stated previously, and have zero desire to hunt through the scriptures for chapters and verses supporting the celebration of this holiday. As I said before, if one believes that Jesus is the literal son of God, a miracle birth, God living on the earth, then it seems reasonable to me to want to celebrate the advent of his birth. I'd also suggest that the fact that all the gospels each make a point to tell the story of his birth implies that it's a special occasion and, again, perhaps worthy of celebration.

But all this is neither here nor there with me personally because I do not attend church and do not believe that the Bible is anything other than the inspired works of men. I don't view the scriptures through rose tinted glasses seeing only what I want to see; I view the Bible as a book of history and philosophy. Which has been grossly misused over the centuries, incidentally. This is just my opinion, maybe I'll burn in hell for it, who knows.

I also have no desire to start a debate or argument with you; I was just trying to point out that it's a tricky thing to call one's own interpretation the "right" one when in fact it is still pretty much just one's own interpretation.

(Incidentally I also discovered that one can be beaten up for referring to oneself as "one."  :D) 

It's a shame that you don't have the desire to debate the issue, clearly you are capable. However, as you were raised a Catholic you would face a problem, as the RCC places their church doctrine above the Holy Bible. Did you know that?

I quote from the Bible only, using scripture to make my point. I don't use opinion as you have stated. Can you show me where I have quoted an opinion?

As for referring to use of the word "One" most regular forum debaters use it so not to seem to be making accusations. The word "one" is mostly used for the third person, or for oneself. Using the word "you" in text could be taken wrongly.

In live speech I never use the word "one", so I've never been beaten up.

Dear Catweazie, It doesn't matter to me if you don't see my point, really I can live with that. :D

However I can see yours now

That you and the Jews and Muslims have a common ground in NO HAVING INTEREST IN CHRISTMAS FESTIVITY.

And that's it!

If you can see my point, all is well. That' all I intended. :icon_mrgreen:

It's a shame that you don't have the desire to debate the issue, clearly you are capable. However, as you were raised a Catholic you would face a problem, as the RCC places their church doctrine above the Holy Bible. Did you know that?

I quote from the Bible only, using scripture to make my point. I don't use opinion as you have stated. Can you show me where I have quoted an opinion?

As for referring to use of the word "One" most regular forum debaters use it so not to seem to be making accusations. The word "one" is mostly used for the third person, or for oneself. Using the word "you" in text could be taken wrongly.

In live speech I never use the word "one", so I've never been beaten up.

Of course I'm aware of that, I was raised a Catholic. But the doctrine all comes from Biblical writings, you know. Their interpretations. And there it is again - whose interpretation is judged to be the correct one? If 'correct' can even be accurately judged.  This is one of the reasons I drifted away.

Pray tell us what IS your opinion, then, since you are determined not to express one in favor of quoting scripture? My impression is that you disapprove of Christmas as unnecessary at best and an evil at worst. Am I incorrect?  

I do love debate but I don't really want to get into one here because for one, it is derailing the point of the thread, which was not a philosophical question about the veracity of Christmas, and two, debate is generally useless, as it merely entrenches one in the view they had in the first place. :)

You didn't get that my remark about referring to oneself as 'one' was a Sheldon quote?  :)

Of course I'm aware of that, I was raised a Catholic. But the doctrine all comes from Biblical writings, you know. Their interpretations. And there it is again - whose interpretation is judged to be the correct one? If 'correct' can even be accurately judged.  This is one of the reasons I drifted away.

Pray tell us what IS your opinion, then, since you are determined not to express one in favor of quoting scripture? My impression is that you disapprove of Christmas as unnecessary at best and an evil at worst. Am I incorrect?  

I do love debate but I don't really want to get into one here because for one, it is derailing the point of the thread, which was not a philosophical question about the veracity of Christmas, and two, debate is generally useless, as it merely entrenches one in the view they had in the first place. :)

You didn't get that my remark about referring to oneself as 'one' was a Sheldon quote?   :)

This is a good post, and I look forward to addressing it in detail.

I'm a Sabbath keeper, so I'll be tied up until Sunday. Please look for my reply Sunday afternoon.

With regard to "one" now that you mention it, it does come to mind it's a Sheldon quote. Kudos. :icon_wink:

You didn't get that my remark about referring to oneself as 'one' was a Sheldon quote?   :)

The reason I asked if you knew that the RCC places their doctrines over scripture is because most pew fillers are unaware of it. The vast majority of pew fillers simply accept without question the false doctrines the RCC preaches without any personal study or even any passing consideration.

You claim that all their doctrines are biblically based. That is false, nearly all RCC doctrines are in opposition to scripure. And that is the reason the RCC places itself above the Bible, because they know they cannot defend their false doctrines by scripture.

You persist in asking for my opinion. Try to grap this.... In matters of scripture I have no opinion.... I simply accept God's word, and it is God's word I quote.... Not my opinion.

You ask why I disapprove of the false doctrine of Christmas. Because it is false!!

If you read all the posts in this thread you will discover that even those that profess love for Christmas cannot defend it on biblical reasoning.

You say you'd love to debate but don't want to derail the thread. Well, fear not, as the RCC invented the false doctrine of Christmas the thread is on track.

So, lets debate and put Christmas and it's founder to the test. After all scripture itself tells us to test everything and hold fast to that what is good. Thessalonians 5:21

Edited by Catweazle

Last night I watched The Maternal Congruence (Series 3)

As leonard and Penny decorated the Christmas tree, Sheldon insisted that a bust of Sir Isaac Newton take pride of place at the top of the tree.

In reply to Leonard's disapproval, Sheldon explained that unlike Jesus, Isaac Newton really was born on December 25th. He when on to explain that Jesus was really born in the Summer, and how the pagan worship of the winter solstice is the root of the Christmas season.

I just love the way the show's scripts sticks to facts.

• 2 weeks later...