The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
twodrinkminimum

Thursday's Episode: What Is The Big Bloody Deal?

i've visted other blogs and all i have to ask is why is everyone making such a big deal over thursdays episode? Sheldon didn't say anything remotely wrong and when it looked like he was making  a racial slur against the head of the human resources he immediately tried to correct it. plus Sheldon is Sheldon so what do you expect? if he did not attend sexual harrassment courses or classes on senseitviy what you've got is a loose cannon!

that said, love Sheldon and loved the episode.

• Like 1

Don't let people get you down. Everyone is gonna have a different opinion and that's fine. I'm black and let me tell you, my mom and I laughed our asses off at that moment because only Sheldon would say something like that and then it turns out he means something else. I wouldn't expect everyone to think that is funny at all. In fact, I thought, "geee, I hope not too many people get offended by it and try to cause a scene...."

I really enjoyed the episode.

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 2

I'm not black but it didn't make me laugh. I thought Sheldon was too annoying and unfunny in that scene. Just my opinion.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I enjoyed it. But then again, I enjoy when things get a bit Politically Incorrect from time to time. 

People can be hyper-sensitive.  Today Simon Helberg tweeted a joke about being glad tattoos aren't hereditary.  He had seen a man with a lot of tattoos pushing his baby daughter in a stroller.  Apparently it created an uproar.

I enjoyed it. But then again, I enjoy when things get a bit Politically Incorrect from time to time. 

Yeah, that's how I feel too. LOL.

Monique

I think that the beauty of Sheldon's character, from the beginning, is that he can be unintentionally rude, unintentionally crass, or unintentionally socially inappropriate (including politically incorrect), and he gets away with it through his cluelessness. This episode depicted the same thing; it was very much classic Sheldon. Obviously people who don't know him well are going to be offended or shell-shocked, but we do know him, so I don't see any reason for fans of the show to be shocked. It wasn't really that different, in its degree of inappropriateness, from his commenting on Mrs.Latham's husband's ill-gotten gains or calling Dr.Gablehouser an idiot to his face. Or his notorious comments about menses to any female around.

It strikes me that my first line was partly quoted from something Jim said, years back. I seem to have internalized his comments. :p

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 4

I think that the beauty of Sheldon's character, from the beginning, is that he can be unintentionally rude, unintentionally crass, or unintentionally socially inappropriate (including politically incorrect), and he gets away with it through his cluelessness. This episode depicted the same thing; it was very much classic Sheldon. Obviously people who don't know him well are going to be offended or shell-shocked, but we do know him, so I don't see any reason for fans of the show to be shocked. It wasn't really that different, in its degree of inappropriateness, from his commenting on Mrs.Latham's husband's ill-gotten gains or calling Dr.Gablehouser an idiot to his face. Or his notorious comments about menses to any female around.

It strikes me that my first line was partly quoted from something Jim said, years back. I seem to have internalized his comments. :p

many of us have internalized Jim :)

that sounded dirty.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 2

LOL! I like dirty.

Monique

You've been a bad girl... I think a spanking is in order :p

• Like 3

Oh, dear.  You guys need to adjourn and go get your Gerards.

• Like 2

I agree--I think this goes back to something else Jim has said.  When Sheldon says and does these things, he usually isn't doing it with the intention of being hateful.  He just doesn't get it.

When he tried to explain himself with the HR lady, he said that he hadn't intended to single Alex out or pick on her.  It's just that he sees all women as having to struggle against their biological "handicap", as he sees it.

And while he may seem sexist for seeing women as being hindered by their biological urges, he doesn't seem to consider it impossible for women to be smart or accomplished in the sciences--they just have to overcome their biology in order to do it.

He didn't tell Alex that she was stupid or incapable of comprehending his work or anything like that.  He was simply trying to "help" her overcome the "distraction" of her biological urges.  That it would be inappropriate to do so, or to do it in the way he did, would never occur to him.

• Like 1

Exactly. And as you pointed out elsewhere, his condescension for 'biological weaknesses' isn't restricted to women. He's berated his friends for the same, on more than one occasion ('ever since you started having regular intercourse, your mind has lost its keen edge'). He just seems to have this fixed belief that romantic/sexual emotions are incompatible with success in scientific work, and hence need to be suppressed. Which is why he genuinely thought he was doing Alex a favor by trying to persuade her away from her biological impulses and onto the path of pure intellect (note that he considers this a desirable path for Alex or Amy, as for himself and his male friends. No sexism there).

Now, we're just waiting for that fixed belief to be challenged, as it inevitably will. ;)

Exactly. And as you pointed out elsewhere, his condescension for 'biological weaknesses' isn't restricted to women. He's berated his friends for the same, on more than one occasion ('ever since you started having regular intercourse, your mind has lost its keen edge'). He just seems to have this fixed belief that romantic/sexual emotions are incompatible with success in scientific work, and hence need to be suppressed. Which is why he genuinely thought he was doing Alex a favor by trying to persuade her away from her biological impulses and onto the path of pure intellect (note that he considers this a desirable path for Alex or Amy, as for himself and his male friends. No sexism there).

Now, we're just waiting for that fixed belief to be challenged, as it inevitably will. ;)

Yes, Sheldon believes sex is the enemy of scientific advancement. He doesn't just pick on women. Even Einstein took his lumps because of his famed overactive libido:

Sheldon:  I must say, ever since you started having regular intercourse, your mind has lost its keen edge. You should reflect on that.

Leonard: Excuse me, but Einstein had a pretty busy sex life.

Sheldon: Yes, and he never unified gravity with the other forces. If he hadn’t been such a hound dog, we’d all have time machines.

Oh, I can't wait for AFF to challenge that belief.

I did'nt have a many issues with Sheldon's attitude in this episode but the jokes surrounding women went up to a point where I felt it was not Sheldon's character anymore but more of the writers trying to hit their punch lines.

The egg salad dialogue was an example....I get that Sheldon picks up some ideas from his family........but it was such a dismissive comment about women and their desirability to men....so it did not feel natural that he would base his argument on this idea... I would have assumed he would base his idea on more a biological(knowledge) front....And again in the HR office he was cut off before talking about his knowledge of menstrual cycle which is more what I would imagine him basing his opinions on........

Edited by vasu

I did'nt have a many issues with Sheldon's attitude in this episode but the jokes surrounding women went up to a point where I felt it was not Sheldon's character anymore but more of the writers trying to hit their punch lines.

The egg salad dialogue was an example....I get that Sheldon picks up some ideas from his family........but that was it was such a dismissive comment about women and their desirability to men....so it did not feel natural that he would base his argument on this idea... I would have assumed he would base his idea on more a biological(knowledge) front....And again in the HR office he was cut off before talking about his knowledge of menstrual cycle which is more what I would imagine him be basing his opinions on........

Totally agree. It was not clever enough, just run of the mill misogyny. I liked it when he implied Penny was driven by her baser instincts. Her past backed this up to some extent, so it was in context and funny. His remarks about hearing Leonard and Penny through the bedroom wall, were always classic. But since when did he have any respect for his father? He used to talk about him like he was a different species from himself.

Totally agree. It was not clever enough, just run of the mill misogyny. I liked it when he implied Penny was driven by her baser instincts. Her past backed this up to some extent, so it was in context and funny. His remarks about hearing Leonard and Penny through the bedroom wall, were always classic. But since when did he have any respect for his father? He used to talk about him like he was a different species from himself.

I don't find that odd. After all, it is his father, and he must have loved him a lot anyway. Not only that, but being surrounded mostly by women, his father was the only male figure he had growing up.

He never stated he hated his father, and his comments about him have not been worse than the ones he has directed about his mother. And yet, I don't think anyone could say Sheldon doesn't love his mother, despite her being a religious fanatical.

I don't find that odd. After all, it is his father, and he must have loved him a lot anyway. Not only that, but being surrounded mostly by women, his father was the only male figure he had growing up.

He never stated he hated his father, and his comments about him have not been worse than the ones he has directed about his mother. And yet, I don't think anyone could say Sheldon doesn't love his mother, despite her being a religious fanatical.

I do. Sheldon only ever spoke about his father as someone who totally misunderstood him on every level. There was never the affection he had for his mother until sometime in season 5 when he started quoting his father out of the blue. Sure we can make up an explanation to support the logic if we like, but this is something new they are trying.

Sheldon's father didn't completely misunderstand him.  He told Mary she had to take her time with him (Luminous Fish).

Some sites get a little "excited" about certain things more than others, TC.

Just remember Dirty Harry's immortal quote: "Opinions are like a$$holes... everybody has one" :D

Edited by netmouse

Sheldon's father didn't completely misunderstand him.  He told Mary she had to take her time with him (Luminous Fish).

He never said a nice thing about his father until seaosn 5. This is new. I didn't like the episode, I thought the humour was predictable and clumsy. Just my opinion.

Edited by Moonbase

He doesn't need to respect his father to mindlessly quote him at times. It's like 'thank you, Jesus - as my mother would say'; he definitely doesn't agree with his mother's religious views, but some things that we often get to see or hear while growing up get ingrained into our unconscious. Also, as someone said, his father was the only male role model he had, for a long time, in the context of women and relationships (admittedly not a good one). Not having spared a lot of thought himself on those issues, it's natural that he mentally refers back to him sometimes when faced with them. 

• Like 1