The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
twodrinkminimum

Thursday's Episode: What Is The Big Bloody Deal?

I like the fact that the show is politically "incorrect". The thought police have all but destroyed humour in my country - but the big bang has a go at everything in a humerous and enlightened way without becoming nast or crass.

• Like 1

There was an emmy roundtable last year I believe with Johnny, Don Cheadle, Ed Helms and a couple of others.  Don Cheadle made a comment that TBBT was very racist and that he had to explain some things to his kids(basically concerning comments made about Raj I presumed).  Johnny seemed genuinely concerned that anyone would take offense.  He even asked Don if it was okay...

There was an emmy roundtable last year I believe with Johnny, Don Cheadle, Ed Helms and a couple of others.  Don Cheadle made a comment that TBBT was very racist and that he had to explain some things to his kids(basically concerning comments made about Raj I presumed).  Johnny seemed genuinely concerned that anyone would take offense.  He even asked Don if it was okay...

I thought he was talking about the sex jokes and about explaining them to his kids.

Does TBBT step on any sensitivities? I thought it might have been colour blind but I don't know the culture that well.

They speak a similar language in the US but I don't "get" many implicit things.

I like the fact that the show is politically "incorrect". The thought police have all but destroyed humour in my country - but the big bang has a go at everything in a humerous and enlightened way without becoming nast or crass.

Mate, I ve seen The Mighty Boosh - you're maybe gammin a little bit about thought police. :)

Those dialogs don't work that well for me because he was raised in Texas in a conservative home with a mother and a sister.  On top of which, he has been friends with Penny for many years now and he is some form of a relationship with Amy.  It doesn't make sense for all of those rough edges to still be there.  I don't like it when they sell-out for a joke.

I am a big believer in not giving insignificant people the power to offend me.  It only empowers their hate.  I guess because they are celebrities some people think they are significant.  I think the way Alex handled it in the show was an appropriate response considering she works for him and he would be significant in her life.

Those dialogs don't work that well for me because he was raised in Texas in a conservative home with a mother and a sister.  On top of which, he has been friends with Penny for many years now and he is some form of a relationship with Amy.  It doesn't make sense for all of those rough edges to still be there.  I don't like it when they sell-out for a joke.

I am a big believer in not giving insignificant people the power to offend me.  It only empowers their hate.  I guess because they are celebrities some people think they are significant.  I think the way Alex handled it in the show was an appropriate response considering she works for him and he would be significant in her life.

I totally agree. This has nothing to do with the PC argument. Sheldon is always overly polite in his dialogue, even if he is arrogant in his manner. He uses words like cockamamy instead of swearing. The quote 'bitches be crazy' gets chucked around as if these are Sheldon's own words. But they are not, he was quoting the mailman. Its funny because it's odd hearing him repeat it. I like Sheldon's old fashioned way of speaking. I hope they are not looking to change it.

Edited by Moonbase

I thought he was talking about the sex jokes and about explaining them to his kids.

Does TBBT step on any sensitivities? I thought it might have been colour blind but I don't know the culture that well.

They speak a similar language in the US but I don't "get" many implicit things.

Mate, I ve seen The Mighty Boosh - you're maybe gammin a little bit about thought police. :)

Yes but the big bang is funny, the Mighty Boosh is beyond awful.....right up there with the horrible "Little Britain"

Yes but the big bang is funny, the Mighty Boosh is beyond awful.....right up there with the horrible "Little Britain"

I agree about LB - but they had the BEST narrator.

You might be right because I think I saw they were redacting Fawlty Towers - desecration. Though  I cant remember seeing any hoovering on that show. Maybe they can edit that back in at the same time.

And I agree about TBBT. (staying on topic I hope :) 

Still I not sure if it displays any "isms" except maybe liberalism (which funnily means Tory here when written with a capital L). They do seem to have "uppity" women.  ;)

I agree about LB - but they had the BEST narrator.

You might be right because I think I saw they were redacting Fawlty Towers - desecration. Though  I cant remember seeing any hoovering on that show. Maybe they can edit that back in at the same time.

And I agree about TBBT. (staying on topic I hope :)

Still I not sure if it displays any "isms" except maybe liberalism (which funnily means Tory here when written with a capital L). They do seem to have "uppity" women.  ;)

Elitism.