The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shamynatress

Do You Think The Actors And Producers/writers Read Fanfiction?

Hi All,

I was wondering if the actors sometimes might check out fanfics written about there characters......    Especially the Shamy and Shenny stuff.

And if they do, what do they think or feel about it?

This is a question I would really like to ask them!

So what do you guys think?

Sonja

• Like 1

I only know that Wil Wheaton thinks that fanfictions are really good.

But I don`t know about the others. I´m sure they know that they exist. (the fanfictions)

Maybe they did for a while (but of course can never own up to it), but it would be very strange to read stories about your character, and some of them are very rude   :)

I know on the show Sherlock Ben Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman certainly do know about them and have read a few.

Edited by Convict13

I believe that it is very irritating reading about the own character when they are described as very OOC. Or very sexual (especially Shamy stories). Although I love these.......

I agree. My general impression is that fan fiction is more or less a form of shipping. Its a fans thing really. The only one I can see reading it out of curiousity might be Kaley, but I don't see her being that interested.

Kunal said he no longer even reads his own press. He made the mistake of breaking this rule once and regretted it. Jim is a theatre and sports buff. He probably spends online time reading about that and getting away from work.

Maybe they did for a while (but of course can never own up to it), but it would be very strange to read stories about your character, and some of them are very rude   :)

I know on the show Sherlock Ben Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman certainly do know about them and have read a few.

Yeah they know of it. Not sure they are avid readers of their gay fan fiction though. :icon_wink: But I like that he was flattered by it.

i have a feeling bill prady made a comment about fanfiction, but i cant remember

Think harder! I want to know that comment! :-)

I already asked me this during my geeky Harry Potter shipping of Hermiony/Snape, Harry/Draco and Harry/Snape. But by then I really wished they would NOT read it, as they still were almost kids.....   :icon_eek:

Legally, I think they're not supposed to--it could lead to people trying to claim that the writers stole a story idea from their fanfiction or whatever (though it would be kind of a funny thing, since the characters and the show belong to WB/CBS or whoever, not the fanfic writers... :p )

They're certainly aware of it, but it's not like they're reading fanfic in order to find story ideas.

I think that for the actors it would probably make them self-conscious to read such things, which can be a bad thing for an actor.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't think they do. If anyone would be aware of it, it would be Mayim, since she seems to be pretty aware of what goes on the fandom (basing myself on interviews), but she's never mentioned it, so I don't think so.

Is it really illegal in the US? I didn't know that.

I know about Martin Freeman & Benedic Cumberbatch reading fanfictions and checking out Tumblrs on the Sherlock fandom, and in the Doctor Who fandom, Matt Smith has said that he writers fanfiction himself, but they're british, so maybe it's different.

(But, I remember that a couple of years ago, Jason Priestley linked a Brandon/Andrea fanfiction on his twitter, and that Gabrielle Carteris tweeted a Brandon/Andrea shipper vid, that Jason then retweeted -funny thing is, that couple was never canon :icon_lol:, but the actors seemed to ship them), but since BH90210 went off the air more than 11 yrs ago, it's probably different?

Edited by Sursonica

I don't think they do. If anyone would be aware of it, it would be Mayim, since she seems to be pretty aware of what goes on the fandom (basing myself on interviews), but she's never mentioned it, so I don't think so.

Is it really illegal in the US? I didn't know that.

I know about Martin Freeman & Benedic Cumberbatch reading fanfictions and checking out Tumblrs on the Sherlock fandom, and in the Doctor Who fandom, Matt Smith has said that he writers fanfiction himself, but they're british, so maybe it's different.

(But, I remember that a couple of years ago, Jason Priestley linked a Brandon/Andrea fanfiction on his twitter, and that Gabrielle Carteris tweeted a Brandon/Andrea shipper vid, that Jason then retweeted -funny thing is, that couple was never canon :icon_lol:, but the actors seemed to ship them), but since BH90210 went off the air more than 11 yrs ago, it's probably different?

Writing fanfiction isn't illegal, though theoretically it's something of a gray area in terms of copyright/ownership issues.  That's why there's a tradtion of posting a disclaimer at the beginning of one's story ("I don't own these characters..." etc.)

Theoretically, whoever owns the property--the creators/studio/network--could issue a cease-and-desist order if they wanted to.  I think that most people, especially where TV shows are concerned, see it as a form of flattery, if you will.  People are interested enough in the show and the characters to invest time and energy in writing "the further adventures of...", so to speak.

But the legal issue is about story ideas--Joe Schmoe writes a fanfic where the guys play Giant Jenga, then it shows up in an episode.  If anyone associated with the show was known to read fanfic, then Joe Schmoe could say that the writers stole his story idea.  If everyone from the show refuses to read fanfiction, then they can't be accused of stealing story ideas.  Then an episode about Giant Jenga is just a coincidence.

There's probably always going to be some overlap in story ideas just because the show writers and fanfic writers may be interested in exploring the same ideas--some funny situation, some aspects of the relationships, etc.

Its just shipping stories! Why would the actors read shipping stories about their own characters? They just wouldn't.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
Its just shipping stories! Why would the actors read shipping stories about their own characters? They just wouldn't.

not all of them are, and even if they are some of them are really really good and interesting. I am reading one now that is about Sheldon and Amy having a kid, Amy loses it since Sheldon ignores it and runs away, and Sheldon runs away after her leaving their kid for Howard & Bernadette to raise, and the story is abou the kid. It's really very very AU and angsty but very intersting and well written.

After all, characters are characters, regardless of who play them. As I said above, I've heard of actors reading and writing fanfictions about their characters, and one of them even linking them on Twitter. So it does happen sometimes.

But as I said before I don't think anyone on TBBT does that.

Edited by Sursonica

not all of them are, and even if they are some of them are really really good and interesting. I am reading one now that is about Sheldon and Amy having a kid, Amy loses it since Sheldon ignores it and runs away, and Sheldon runs away after her leaving their kid for Howard & Bernadette to raise, and the story is abou the kid. It's really very very AU and angsty but very intersting and well written.

After all, characters are characters, regardless of who play them. As I said above, I've heard of actors reading and writing fanfictions about their characters, and one of them even linking them on Twitter. So it does happen sometimes.

But as I said before I don't think anyone on TBBT does that.

I mean no offence to the readers or writers of fan fiction but I would never want to read that. It just doesn't appeal. It seems wrong somehow. I like these characters as they are, funny and entertaining. There's already more than enough ship for me.

The fans know more about Leonard, Penny, and Sheldon than we do Johnny, Kaley, and Jim.  The fictional characters become sort of "real" to many fans, resulting in boards like this where we talk about their lives as if they were real people.  For the actors, they are a job.  After playing these characters every day for months on end, I'd think the last thing they'd want to do is read fan fic.  I don't know that they'd find it uncomfortable because they have an easier time separating themselves from their characters than the fans do.

I don't think they read them, no-one's ever mentioned anything. Though if I was in there place, I would probably have a look-see sometimes, just out of curiosity to see what the viewers are making of the characters. But I would occasionally lurk at forums like these, too, and I don't think they do that either. They're probably not internet geeks. :p

I vaguely recall Jim once saying in an interview that if he ever wrote fan-fiction, it would probably be tragic or dramatic, because comedic writing doesn't come to him. I'm trying to remember if he said that about fan-fiction or fiction in general.

It's not necessarily illegal as against the law. But when talking to a lot of showrunners on twitter that is the term they use. They don't want to open up the oppourtunity to get sued. If they say they don't or can't read it, if someone says they stole an idea all the creator has to say is i don't read fan fiction.

The Kim Possible Creator (Bob Schooley), The Bones Creator (Hart Hanson) are just a few who won't.

Now, one show runner does read a few occasionally, but he keeps it on the down low.

I don't think they read them, no-one's ever mentioned anything. Though if I was in there place, I would probably have a look-see sometimes, just out of curiosity to see what the viewers are making of the characters. But I would occasionally lurk at forums like these, too, and I don't think they do that either. They're probably not internet geeks. :p

I vaguely recall Jim once saying in an interview that if he ever wrote fan-fiction, it would probably be tragic or dramatic, because comedic writing doesn't come to him. I'm trying to remember if he said that about fan-fiction or fiction in general.

It is interesting to read all of your point of views. I think that if the actors checked out the forums and fandoms it might rather have been in the earlier seasons of the show. Just to know what is going on with the fans and how they respond. But maybe the check out the fansites these days too. Just to know what's going on. Would'nt that be like reading criticism? Or checking out feedback on performance or new episodes? It is really hard to tell.

I agree that they may not read fanfic's because this might really be a bit to awkward. But I can really imagine they catch up on the forums from time to time. Maybe not all of them, but Mayim, Kunal or Kaley might really do. Maybe even Jim. In the beginning he was very proud about all the exitement about his person, Sheldon and the show.

I wish I could ask them......       

Back in the day when TXF was on the air, TPTB for that show used to go online to see what the fan reaction was to the episodes, etc.  But back then, internet fandom was pretty new.  They still wouldn't read fanfiction--or would never admit to it, if they ever did.

I know that they saw some of the slash stuff online, but I think it was mostly just photo manips, and that was mostly because that was the most sensational aspect of the online fandom.

However, nowadays, internet fandom is pretty much a given and the desire to monitor the online reactions isn't as novel or necessary.

I do think that it's possible that TPTB for BBT have some lackey monitoring the online reaction to things because they seem to know what goes on in the fandom--and several of the cast/crew are on twitter.

But I don't think that means that any of them are going to bother reading fanfic, lurk around here to read our discussions, etc., and I certainly don't think they're going to be using online fandom reactions to determine what's going to happen onscreen. :p