The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

Kaley's Habit Of Looking At The Camera

Shes done it a few times during season 6 and its made me go back through the seasons and look to see how often she does it

You would think an actress like her who has done many years would know not to keep looking, maybe she not sure about direction??

If they didn't want her to do it,, they'd direct her to stop, no? I think it's intentional.Lucy did that, as did John Ritter on Three`s Company.

Shes done it a few times during season 6 and its made me go back through the seasons and look to see how often she does it

You would think an actress like her who has done many years would know not to keep looking, maybe she not sure about direction??

Another Kaley basher?

• Like 1

I hadn't noticed.....don't tell me I'm going to have to go through all 123 episodes !

:o Awww..! Not me too?! :o

Can you point out some scenes? is not that I don't belive you but I haven't notice and I don't want to go through 123 epis.:D

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I only noticed it in Re-Entry Minimization tbh

I've only noticed it twice. Once in season 3 when she got up in Sheldon's face and told him Leonard can drop dead and then she walked off almost smiling and looked at the camera. The second time was season 6 before the pie eating contest when her eyes said that she DIDN'T want to shove her face in the pie. LOL.

Monique

The other times in s6 were the opening scenes where penny was talking about going back to school and when sheldon got drunk at the bar she rolled her eyes at the camera, maybe its something she does without realising it but I like to look out for out of character like things!

I mentioned this in the Egg Salad thread, but I think that sometimes she's supposed to be facing the camera so that you see Penny's reaction--it's supposed to be letting the audience see what her character is thinking while she is hiding it from the other characters.

I'd have to go back and re-watch the scene mentioned above where she rolls her eyes as she's walking away, but just from reading it, it strikes me as a character thing--she's fed up with Leonard (and Sheldon, too, probably), so she rolls her eyes as she's walking away.

There's a similar moment in the first season when she is reacting to Leonard and Leslie Winkle.  In the restaurant when Leonard assures her that he and Leslie are not a couple, she walks away smiling to herself, which, IMO, is an indicator that despite what she says about Leonard and Leslie making a cute couple, she's actually happy that they're not a couple.  Similarly, she seems a bit upset later on, though she downplays it, when she finds out that Leonard had Leslie in his room.

I think that these are "asides" to the audience, if you will.  Reactions that are meant for the audience to see, not for the other characters to see, so they're played to the camera.  It's not quite a "break down the fourth wall" kind of thing, but more like letting the audience in on her inner feelings.

I mentioned this in the Egg Salad thread, but I think that sometimes she's supposed to be facing the camera so that you see Penny's reaction--it's supposed to be letting the audience see what her character is thinking while she is hiding it from the other characters.

I'd have to go back and re-watch the scene mentioned above where she rolls her eyes as she's walking away, but just from reading it, it strikes me as a character thing--she's fed up with Leonard (and Sheldon, too, probably), so she rolls her eyes as she's walking away.

There's a similar moment in the first season when she is reacting to Leonard and Leslie Winkle.  In the restaurant when Leonard assures her that he and Leslie are not a couple, she walks away smiling to herself, which, IMO, is an indicator that despite what she says about Leonard and Leslie making a cute couple, she's actually happy that they're not a couple.  Similarly, she seems a bit upset later on, though she downplays it, when she finds out that Leonard had Leslie in his room.

I think that these are "asides" to the audience, if you will.  Reactions that are meant for the audience to see, not for the other characters to see, so they're played to the camera.  It's not quite a "break down the fourth wall" kind of thing, but more like letting the audience in on her inner feelings.

i agree... that episode with Leslie is actually the only time I've ever noticed anything like this in the show and i came to the same conclusions that it was merely for the audiences benefit to see how the penny character reacts first to Leonard sleeping with Leslie and then when she learns that it isn't going to work out between the two of them.  Its simply a way of seeing into a characters thoughts, something easily done when reading but not so much when watching TV

Add the episode where Sheldon learns to drive (she looks up and giggles after hitting Sheldon in the face with a pillow). And 2x in the episode where Sheldon has to give a speech, drinks & takes of his pants...she does it sitting at the table and when Sheldon watches the YouTube video. Sometimes, I think she does it intentionally as part of the script or to play to the audience, but othertimes may be just her natural reaction accidentally caught on tape. The pie eating contest one may have been accidental, but they left it in cause it kinda cute and funny. I've noticed, Kaley (and Johnny) have a habit of picking on their fingernails, tugging on her shirt tails, and brushing her hair back.

Watch Mayim when she is sitting and has her hands on her knees. Her fingers move around.

Add the episode where Sheldon learns to drive (she looks up and giggles after hitting Sheldon in the face with a pillow). And 2x in the episode where Sheldon has to give a speech, drinks & takes of his pants...she does it sitting at the table and when Sheldon watches the YouTube video. Sometimes, I think she does it intentionally as part of the script or to play to the audience, but othertimes may be just her natural reaction accidentally caught on tape. The pie eating contest one may have been accidental, but they left it in cause it kinda cute and funny. I've noticed, Kaley (and Johnny) have a habit of picking on their fingernails, tugging on her shirt tails, and brushing her hair back.

In the Pants Alternative, when she does that bug-eyed reaction to something Drunk!Sheldon says, that's not looking at the camera, that's a character reaction that's supposed to be seen by the camera, which is why she's facing the camera when she does it.

That's completely different from her little break in the blueberry pie scene.  That glance at the camera was not part of the intended character reaction.

If she had done that big a character-breaking reaction that was not intended (like when the actors smile or laugh in a scene when they're not supposed to), the director would have cut and done the scene again.

Almost nothing gets on film accidentally when it comes to facial expressions, etc.

I think the pie thing got on tape because they weren't going to do that scene again. :p

In the Pants Alternative, when she does that bug-eyed reaction to something Drunk!Sheldon says, that's not looking at the camera, that's a character reaction that's supposed to be seen by the camera, which is why she's facing the camera when she does it. That's completely different from her little break in the blueberry pie scene.  That glance at the camera was not part of the intended character reaction.   If she had done that big a character-breaking reaction that was not intended (like when the actors smile or laugh in a scene when they're not supposed to), the director would have cut and done the scene again. Almost nothing gets on film accidentally when it comes to facial expressions, etc. I think the pie thing got on tape because they weren't going to do that scene again. :p
Yeah, the bug eye reaction, while sitting at the table in the Pants Alternative was deliberate, but later one same episode...while they're watching the YouTube video, she appears to glances up just for moment. Like when someone drops something or enters a room.

I'm not bashing her, just pointing out something I have noticed

I've noticed it a few times too.  It could be a trait of hers and they just allow it as a character demeanor.  Its like Johnny always rubbing his hands together in the earlier seasons but I think that was a character trait though.

In the Pants Alternative, when she does that bug-eyed reaction to something Drunk!Sheldon says, that's not looking at the camera, that's a character reaction that's supposed to be seen by the camera, which is why she's facing the camera when she does it.

That's completely different from her little break in the blueberry pie scene.  That glance at the camera was not part of the intended character reaction.

If she had done that big a character-breaking reaction that was not intended (like when the actors smile or laugh in a scene when they're not supposed to), the director would have cut and done the scene again.

Almost nothing gets on film accidentally when it comes to facial expressions, etc.

I think the pie thing got on tape because they weren't going to do that scene again. :p

To put the face in those pies was creepy :( I can understand her.

Can you point out some scenes? is not that I don't believe you but I haven't notice and I don't want to go through 123 epis. :D

The big "Camera Peeks" this season were in 6.04 when she was about to start the pie-eating contest. She had a sweet look of doom just before she plunged her face in the pie. Another big one was in 6.06 when  Leonard served  her breakfast in bed and she was about to read the paper he wrote.

I just find it endearing that she does this now but I'm a Kaley fan. :icon_wink:

Edited by BangerMain

Thanx

The big "Camera Peeks" this season were in 6.04 when she was about to start the pie-eating contest. She had a sweet look of doom just before she plunged her face in the pie. Another big one was in 6.06 when  Leonard served  her breakfast in bed and she was about to read the paper he wrote.

I just find it endearing that she does this now but I'm a Kaley fan. :icon_wink:

I remember the one at the pie eating contest!

Yeah, I feel like is Kaley's way to make Penny comunicate with the viewers. :icon_wink: