The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.14 The Cooper/kripke Inversion (Jan. 31)

Your Episode Rating  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Unless they do go down the burnout route later on, I personally think it was just Sheldon exaggerating as usual. He always wants to be top dog at everything but maybe Kripke's area of expertise is more directly related to nuclear fusion than Sheldon's (again, I'm not a physicist but I always thought Sheldon's main area was String Theory and I'm not sure how nuclear fusion plays into that). I think being best among top scientists is a tough call, one outsmarts the other on one topic, and then viceversa the other might outsmart the one on another topic. I honestly don't think you can rank scientists so easily at a certain level, but Sheldon having a big ego cannot accept that. He wants to be the best, at everything, all the time. I do think Kripke is probably very good at what he does, but Sheldon's always on a pedestal and since we often look at things through his eyes we perceived Kripke to be just a nobody.

That's the other reason why I really really liked this ep, like I said before. In science it's so easy to get stuck and not be able to see the forest for the trees or viceversa, that I really liked the fact that they tackled that with Sheldon and showed that even a genius can hit a roadblock and question his intelligence. 

• Like 4

That's Jim's choice for Sheldon crying. It's the same kind of comical crying that he used in the Electric Can Opener episode and in the Thespian Catalyst(?) .

I'm sure Jim could cry for real if he wanted or needed to, but this is a comedy and he chooses to do it this way (to be funny.)

Yes, that's Jim and author's choice because Sheldon' crying is childish ( Not the reasons for crying, the way he cries) Have you seen the way he exults when he manages to do something? He jumps up and down, smiles and says that he made it exactly like a little kid would do. The same is true for when he is sad, like when back from the arctic he went to his bed making himself little and crying. When certain emotions overtake him, he lets them out in a childish way. Remember that Sheldon's inner child is very strong! :)

i actually thought sheldon's crying scene was brilliant.  Sheldon has always had child-like moments and it was very in character for sheldon -- making it both funny and meaningful at the same time.

• Like 1

Is it Mayim's right hand that's injured? I've just noticed in the hug scene she can't move her thumb. Hope she gets fully functional again soon, I miss her playing the harp!

Actually she posted yesterday that she is having problems with her hand again.  I'm pretty sure she said she's wearing something on her hand again and having to get help typing again.

Sheldon's, Leonard's and Howard's actions in this episode all seemed to be choreographed to make statements about the status of their relationships.

Sheldon wants to overcome his touch phobia and have a more physical interaction with Amy and admitted that he knew perfectly well what he was doing when he was taking care of the sick Amy. The Vaborub, the bathing and the spanking were all his ideas and now we know why. I still don't buy that Sheldon would use such a smoke screen to Kripke about why his work was sub par.

Leonard is "whipped" by Penny. So what else is new? They have been using that since the 3rd season when Howard asked Leonard, "Oh, is the missus speaking for the couple now?" when Penny said no to going to the Goth club. What is new is that Penny uses the silent communication of facial expression to show her disapproval while saying the opposite to Leonard. Leonard picked up on that right away, like a good husband. As all good husbands know,  when there is a conflict between the eyes and the ears, go with the eyes. They are in "Old married couple" mode, at least for this episode.

Howard and Bernie's fight could have been straight from any sitcom from the last 35 years. What is so bothersome is that silly assertion that Howard makes far less money than Bernie, who now treats him like she is his mother. Looks like Howie is on an allowance.

Edited by BangerMain

Sorry if these points were made before ....but I have just seen this episode..and these are my opinions on it

It was an OK episode for me.

I thought the discussion of Sheldon's sexuality was pretty neatly handled.....The call back of him rubbing vapo on Amy and him allowing Amy to hug him shows us that he is slowly becoming more comfortable with physical contact.. Penny's reaction was brilliant...I also liked the touch that she then thanks Sheldon for opening up.....

I also liked all the roommate moments between Sheldon and Leonard....Leonard knowledge of what beverages Sheldon wants....later scolding him like a parent while sheldon was moping about not coming to the university...

.and his "I gotta remember how I did that"... "Oh Teacher me me" were very funny.....

But all the jokes surrounding Kripke was meeehhhhh to me.... 

Sheldon's crying looked very fake.......I did'nt like it at all...it just removes any kind of emotional resonance in that scene...,.....Leonard's crying in the season 3 pants episode was probably the best crying in the show I have seen cause it felt real and poignant...

And I hope the writers stop taking a dig at Sheldon's career.. I feel that there have been more cases where he has failed than he has succeeded.....

The H/B/R plot seemed like an excuse to bring up the 3D printer...the directors seem to like bringing new machines in the show(the howard-raj kissing machine stuff back in season 5 was brilliant) ....but the surrounding plot in this episode became pretty dull as soon as it reached Bernadette....

Edited by vasu

Ar, maybe you should get in contact with tptb, because you tend to think you know everything and on how to make a SITCOM.  Why dont you tweet Bill Prady right now at how he and his crew did such a bad job on every scene.  

Better yet, next time I talk to BP, I will be sure to relay your message. :)

Hmmm... I  seem to remember that the original pilot was scrapped because of the audience but go ahead and believe they are perfect.

Hmmm... I  seem to remember that the original pilot was scrapped because of the audience but go ahead and believe they are perfect.

While they may or may not have had some kind of test group watch the original pilot, it was never aired for the general public--and it was much more worldly and Sheldon was more sexual (he'd even had sex with the one girl scientist friend of theirs.)

But it was the CBS people who rejected the original pilot--they wouldn't buy it--but they asked Prady and Lorre to try it again.

It didn't rejected by any wide audience.

And apparently the show isn't being rejected by the audience these days, either.

I think the problem with the crying is that I feel the writers are very uncomfortable having the characters actually properly cry. I know they can do serious moments every once in a while, but they are very rare, and crying is something that they have never ever done in a serious way except for that quick sniff when Leonard cried after Penny told him she loves him. So more often than not the crying comes off weird. I thought Jim did a great job, it was childish enough to be in character and unnatural enough not to be taken too seriously but at the same time made the audience go "awww". 

I personally wouldn't have any problem with a proper crying scene on the show, but I know some might be annoyed because a sitcom shouldn't have proper sad, poignant moments, and I think the writers know that.

As for H/B. I'm not too bothered by their fight, and yes, in the real world they would be making a lot of money but this is fiction. And Bernadette would be making a lot more money even in the real world, working in the private sector in pharma with a doctorate, as compared to working in academia with a Masters. Of course, Howard wouldn't be making "peanuts", but it's all relative. He might be making peanuts compared to her. I think the argument was mostly about the fact that he never talked to her before going off to spend all that money and that he was pretty much saying that that's how marriage works. Howard is still very much a momma's boy, even if he has changed in other aspects, and the immaturity is just part of his character. They made it pretty clear from the beginning, when Bernadette first met Mrs Wolowitz, that there are parallels between the two women, and the "Yes mo..my Bernadette" jokes. I'm not surprised she sometimes does treat him like a child sometimes. 

Kripe obviously is more talented in a wider area than Sheldon. Both are physicists but Kripe also has engineering skills as he built an awesome robot while Sheldon did not know how to open a tool box as he looks down on Engineering and does not bother to learn.

Bernadette would make more than Howard but he is not making peanuts compared to her. Unless according to Bernie someone making 200 K can call someone making 125 K as making peanuts.It is not realistic.

The other problem I have with the money part is Leonard making a big deal of Raj and Howard spening 500 dollars each asking if they can afford it? Seriously? 500 dolalrs is really peanuts to them.

Bernadette would make more than Howard but he is not making peanuts compared to her. Unless according to Bernie someone making 200 K can call someone making 125 K as making peanuts.It is not realistic.

The other problem I have with the money part is Leonard making a big deal of Raj and Howard spening 500 dollars each asking if they can afford it? Seriously? 500 dolalrs is really peanuts to them.

Well, affordability also depends on how much of your income is used for your regular cost-of-living expenses. With the area they live being a fairly expensive lace to live, their salaries might not go as far as they would in other cities, so that could be a factor.

But primarily I think that it's all part of the construct of the world of TBBT--where Sheldon and Leonard live together for financial reasons, etc.

Well, affordability also depends on how much of your income is used for your regular cost-of-living expenses. With the area they live being a fairly expensive lace to live, their salaries might not go as far as they would in other cities, so that could be a factor.

But primarily I think that it's all part of the construct of the world of TBBT--where Sheldon and Leonard live together for financial reasons, etc.

They live in a apt which Bernadette rented when she was a waiteress.Howard never paid rent living with is mother for years.What living expense? They must be seriously loaded.

I watched the episode again and even though I do not like the immature husband cliche, I still laughed out loud and thought it was funny especially Howard thinking about creating lady parts. It is very much in his character. The rest of the episode I enjoyed real well though Kripke is kind creepy. I know he is suppose to be. Also there was science and high tech that I know a lot of people enjoy.

Edited by Engrprince
  • Like 1

I agree with your thoughts.

Maybe theres a history here I have no clue about, but arent we all allowed to have our own opinions even when they differ?

You can have you own opinion but be prepared to be attacked if you criticize the show in any way, especially Shamy. The majority of posters here have an extremely emotional attachment to it.

OK, did anyone see the big science error in this episode? If I heard the first part right, Sheldon was suppose to be working on a proposal for a fusion reactor. Sheldon has always been portrayed as a theoretical physicist who specializes in string theory, so this would be completely out of his expertise. If anything, Leonard is more qualified for this kind of project because using lasers to start the fusion reaction has been used before, and Leonard is a laser expert.

OK, did anyone see the big science error in this episode? If I heard the first part right, Sheldon was suppose to be working on a proposal for a fusion reactor. Sheldon has always been portrayed as a theoretical physicist who specializes in string theory, so this would be completely out of his expertise. If anything, Leonard is more qualified for this kind of project because using lasers to start the fusion reaction has been used before, and Leonard is a laser expert.

Yup, I was mentioning it earlier than I'm not sure how the two combine. However, Sheldon is a particle theory guy, so there might be some degree of overlap with nuclear fusion, since it involves colliding atoms. I'm just not sure what/how, I was waiting on someone to enlighten me. 

Alternate scene from this episode(pun intended)-- Sheldon is crying and Amy notices this...

Amy : Why are you crying?

Sheldon : Because I am stupid

Amy : That is not a reason to cry....One cries when one is sad, for example I cry because others are stupid and that makes me sad..  :p :D

• Like 4

Yup, I was mentioning it earlier than I'm not sure how the two combine. However, Sheldon is a particle theory guy, so there might be some degree of overlap with nuclear fusion, since it involves colliding atoms. I'm just not sure what/how, I was waiting on someone to enlighten me. 

Yeah, fusion is its own field. If he was was into fusion, he would be studying the mechanics of making a fusion reactor work, the actual way fusion occurs is a well know fact and man already has produced fusion reactions, man has not been able to sustain them to support the production of something like electrical power. This is all more up Leonard's line of work. Also the cost to build a experimental conceptual fusion reactor would be huge and would something that would have to be approved at the state level.

Does it really matter about the science in the show? people watch for the comedy and the stereotypes that belong with being a scientist but not for actual science itself.

So do we assume then that Kripke is the better Physicist?  

I dont believe so.  He was so worried about being perfect and working directly with Kripke he was too busy worrying than thinking about his work like he normally does.  But I liked this episode because it showed a imperfection of Mr. Cooper for maybe the first time.

i actually thought sheldon's crying scene was brilliant.  Sheldon has always had child-like moments and it was very in character for sheldon -- making it both funny and meaningful at the same time.

I did too.  I cant see Sheldon actually crying with tears and I really dont want to see that.

Ar, you point out what you dont like, yet you cant include what YOU would change.  I'd love to see you do a sitcom from scratch and see how you can improve it.  You are condescending in some of your posts.  You share your opinion of what doesn't work but never come out with a solution. I do NOT think this show is perfect but I know how hard it is to put a movie, tv show or commercial together so I allow those to pass.

You can come up with ideas and solutions AFTER it airs but you've had time to think about it.  I doubt BP, Lorre and company are 100% happy with every single episode but if it filmed and 'in the can' they certainly arent gonna ask the cast/crew to do it again.  Too much waste of time and production.

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

Yeah, fusion is its own field. If he was was into fusion, he would be studying the mechanics of making a fusion reactor work, the actual way fusion occurs is a well know fact and man already has produced fusion reactions, man has not been able to sustain them to support the production of something like electrical power. This is all more up Leonard's line of work. Also the cost to build a experimental conceptual fusion reactor would be huge and would something that would have to be approved at the state level.

But is there no way for a particle theorist to be involved in a fusion project at all at this stage of progress in the research? I'm just trying to figure out if it's a massive mistake to have Sheldon work on this or there could be something there that could explain why he wants to be involved but isn't very good at it. The other thing that I was confused about in the past, and it's similar to this, is why Sheldon would work with Raj, who's an astrophysicist. To me that's even more irrelevant than fusion. 

But is there no way for a particle theorist to be involved in a fusion project at all at this stage of progress in the research? I'm just trying to figure out if it's a massive mistake to have Sheldon work on this or there could be something there that could explain why he wants to be involved but isn't very good at it. The other thing that I was confused about in the past, and it's similar to this, is why Sheldon would work with Raj, who's an astrophysicist. To me that's even more irrelevant than fusion. 

In this ep they're working on grant proposals, right? So I'm assuming that they need to make an argument as to why the school should get a grant for this type of research. Perhaps there's some kind of overlap in that regard.

As for Sheldon and Raj, I know that Sheldon explains something about how or why he can use Raj in his work. I just can't remember...

I dont believe so.  He was so worried about being perfect and working directly with Kripke he was too busy worrying than thinking about his work like he normally does.  But I liked this episode because it showed a imperfection of Mr. Cooper for maybe the first time.

IT'S DR. COOPER, ACTUALLY XXOXXXXX