6.14 The Cooper/kripke Inversion (Jan. 31)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

In this ep they're working on grant proposals, right? So I'm assuming that they need to make an argument as to why the school should get a grant for this type of research. Perhaps there's some kind of overlap in that regard.

As for Sheldon and Raj, I know that Sheldon explains something about how or why he can use Raj in his work. I just can't remember...

Yes, but Kripke says they're both putting in a grant application for the same project, which means Sheldon was applying for it on his own. If there's no overlap between particle theory and fusion at all at this stage in the research, than that's a massive mistake.

Yes, but Kripke says they're both putting in a grant application for the same project, which means Sheldon was applying for it on his own. If there's no overlap between particle theory and fusion at all at this stage in the research, than that's a massive mistake.

I may be wrong but I think one of the things Sheldon is working on is make up of the universe because if you understand that then things like other dimensions, travel through space and stuff like that become the next research. Fusion is more a practical thing because we know a lot about it, it is how the stars operate, man uses for nuclear weapons (only practical man made use) and we would like to be able to produce electricity with it, but there are a few problems to solve. So while physicists work on both, they are really two completely separate fields, it would be like a eye surgeon and a heart surgeon, who would you want to do your heart bypass and who would you want to fix your eye, they both are surgeons.

While they may or may not have had some kind of test group watch the original pilot, it was never aired for the general public--and it was much more worldly and Sheldon was more sexual (he'd even had sex with the one girl scientist friend of theirs.)

But it was the CBS people who rejected the original pilot--they wouldn't buy it--but they asked Prady and Lorre to try it again.

It didn't rejected by any wide audience.

And apparently the show isn't being rejected by the audience these days, either.

:icon_rolleyes:   I kinda doubt they went without a focus group which was the audience I was referring to.  It is still true that not every episode is a masterpiece of the sitcom genre.

I dont believe so.  He was so worried about being perfect and working directly with Kripke he was too busy worrying than thinking about his work like he normally does.  But I liked this episode because it showed a imperfection of Mr. Cooper for maybe the first time.

I did too.  I cant see Sheldon actually crying with tears and I really dont want to see that.

Ar, you point out what you dont like, yet you cant include what YOU would change.  I'd love to see you do a sitcom from scratch and see how you can improve it.  You are condescending in some of your posts.  You share your opinion of what doesn't work but never come out with a solution. I do NOT think this show is perfect but I know how hard it is to put a movie, tv show or commercial together so I allow those to pass.

You can come up with ideas and solutions AFTER it airs but you've had time to think about it.  I doubt BP, Lorre and company are 100% happy with every single episode but if it filmed and 'in the can' they certainly arent gonna ask the cast/crew to do it again.  Too much waste of time and production.

Why does it matter if I am condescending about a TV show and when did it become the audience's job to fix the show on a message board?  Also, I don't have to care how easy or hard it is to put a show together.  These are things you may want to do but they are not a requirement for the standard audience members.  You watch and critique the show you way but stop telling me how to be a fan.  There is no right or wrong way.

It is kind of like you need to protect the cast and crew from me.  They don't know who I am and they don't care as long as I keep watching and depending on the percentage of people who agree with me and might also stop they probably don't even care if I stopped.

I hold them to a high standard.  That is my way.   You are very forgiving and accepting.  That is your way. 

But is there no way for a particle theorist to be involved in a fusion project at all at this stage of progress in the research? I'm just trying to figure out if it's a massive mistake to have Sheldon work on this or there could be something there that could explain why he wants to be involved but isn't very good at it. The other thing that I was confused about in the past, and it's similar to this, is why Sheldon would work with Raj, who's an astrophysicist. To me that's even more irrelevant than fusion. 

It isn't about scientific accuracy, but about getting the characters into a funny story line. It was funny to have Raj work with Sheldon so they did it. Same with Kripke, plus they got to advance the Shamy. 

:icon_rolleyes:   I kinda doubt they went without a focus group which was the audience I was referring to.  It is still true that not every episode is a masterpiece of the sitcom genre.

From what I read there was a test audience and they liked Leonard and Sheldon but didn't like the 'Mean Girl'. 

It isn't about scientific accuracy, but about getting the characters into a funny story line. It was funny to have Raj work with Sheldon so they did it. Same with Kripke, plus they got to advance the Shamy. 

Yes, I know that. But what I'm saying is that we don't know what Kripke's field of expertise is so they could have made him something closely related to Sheldon's field to make it more believable. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. Since this show prides itself so much on getting the science right I just find if a bit weird when they make rather obvious mistakes. 

Yes, I know that. But what I'm saying is that we don't know what Kripke's field of expertise is so they could have made him something closely related to Sheldon's field to make it more believable. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. Since this show prides itself so much on getting the science right I just find if a bit weird when they make rather obvious mistakes. 

Since most people are rather vague on what Sheldon, Leonard, Raj or Kripke do they are considered interchangeable. BTW the BBT wiki lists Kripke as a experimental/plasma physicist. So I agree Leonard would be a better choice to work with him, but not nearly as funny. What I find unlikely is that it took Howard that long to figure out another use for the mechanical hand (season 4, episode 1).

Well, Ar, let me ask you something, you say you hold this show at higher standards. I'm curious what is your favorite show?  You make it obvious that it sure as hell ain't Big Bang. 

You need to stop already.  How about we discuss the episode and not me?  Sound like a plan?

You need to stop already.  How about we discuss the episode and not me?  Sound like a plan?

No, I am really curious about your favorite show. :)  I may have first asked in a smartass way but I'd like to know. 

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

OK, did anyone see the big science error in this episode? If I heard the first part right, Sheldon was suppose to be working on a proposal for a fusion reactor. Sheldon has always been portrayed as a theoretical physicist who specializes in string theory, so this would be completely out of his expertise. If anything, Leonard is more qualified for this kind of project because using lasers to start the fusion reaction has been used before, and Leonard is a laser expert.

I caught that but I figured this was simply a way to get Sheldon to work with Kripke on a project. Kripke building killer robots and running computer simulations and the like, does sound more like an experimental Physicist who would be working with Leonard.

You can have you own opinion but be prepared to be attacked if you criticize the show in any way, especially Shamy. The majority of posters here have an extremely emotional attachment to it.

Most people on this board watch TBBT theory for the ships, a minority of us watch it as it was a show celebrating a bunch of uber geeky guys & nerd culture & the normal girl who hangs out with them and gets sucked into their geeky world. I loved it, I thought it was funny, witty, different.

It really has changed now. The Wil Wheaton episode, the Bakersfield episode and tonight's all make fun of nerd culture & Sheldon is massively no longer the Homo Novus of 5 seasons. The series is now about normalizing geeky guys into mainstream culture & the women are used to do it. Ugh....

The money situation was also unbelievable, just stupid. The guys have plenty to throw away on toys and if they want to buy a 3D printer,why not? You can just see that Bernadette is moving towards saving for baby shoes and a SUV. This kind of thing sends me to cable...

You're making a lot of assumptions about "most people on this board".  I don't watch it for the ships, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy what I'm seeing.  I watch it because it's funny in pretty much every aspect, both in experiencing nerd culture and seeing these "extraordinary people in ordinary circumstances" as Jim Parsons puts it.  Since the show has ALWAYS been about the changes that the guys exert on Penny and that she exerts on them, the changes they've all experiences have been going on since the beginning, even in the "hallowed" first 3 seasons.

I think the minority group are the ones who want to keep TBBT in some kind of preconceived box, which would have long ago been the death of the show.

THANK YOU! 

Most people on this board watch TBBT theory for the ships, a minority of us watch it as it was a show celebrating a bunch of uber geeky guys & nerd culture & the normal girl who hangs out with them and gets sucked into their geeky world. I loved it, I thought it was funny, witty, different.

I saw the science first, then the ships. It's a combination of the two that makes the show.

It really has changed now. The Wil Wheaton episode, the Bakersfield episode and tonight's all make fun of nerd culture & Sheldon is massively no longer the Homo Novus of 5 seasons. The series is now about normalizing geeky guys into mainstream culture & the women are used to do it. Ugh....

Press releases before the first show talked about how the guys bring the pretty girl into their world, and how the pretty girl opens the mainstream culture up to the guys. That all seems to still be going on.

The money situation was also unbelievable, just stupid. The guys have plenty to throw away on toys and if they want to buy a 3D printer,why not? You can just see that Bernadette is moving towards saving for baby shoes and a SUV. This kind of thing sends me to cable...

The actual amount that Bernadette and Howard make is unrealistic. The situation where Bernadette was angry Howard spent $5,000 without at least talking to his wife about the expenditure is quite realistic.
  • Like 5

The way I see it, if you're not happy with the direction in which the writers have chosen to take the show, don't watch. Television is entertainment, so if you're not being sufficiently entertained, what's the point?

• Like 1

You're making a lot of assumptions about "most people on this board".  I don't watch it for the ships.

Hmmm, it's not that big of an assumption. I think the traffic on this forum backs this up quite nicely. The relationship threads get way more hits than any other discussions here. Some of the other topics get some action but most don't last very long. I would agree that most, not all, but most people here are very interested in the ships.

• Like 3

The way I see it, if you're not happy with the direction in which the writers have chosen to take the show, don't watch. Television is entertainment, so if you're not being sufficiently entertained, what's the point?

Absolutely.  Also, I don't understand why some people come to this site just to be negative.  It's one thing to analyze the good and the bad, quite another just to complain constantly.  If you don't like the show, why rain on the parade of those of us who do?  Yes, everyone is entitled to express an opinion, but if you're coming here just to aggravate people with your negativity, you need to evaluate why you're willing to put forth that kind of effort in such an endeavor.

• Like 2

We never said we weren't interested in the ships, but we just don't agree with the fact that she pretty much assumed that was the only thing we are interested in. Yes the ships have become an important part of the show for us but that doesn't make us the so-called "dumb" audience that the show is apparently catering for now. If that were the case then we'd be killing ourselves over every ship that the thousands of sitcoms out there have to offer. Some of these romances are unlike any I've ever seen, which I find very intruiging and that implies to me that they are well thought-out, not just thrown in there for the sake of mindless fangirls.

So yes, we do spend time in the ship boards because we like to discuss and speculate with people who share similar interests. I still enjoy the throwbacks to the old seasons, in fact, 43 Peculiarity was my favourite episode so far this season and that was pretty much ship-free. It's not like we moan and complain every time a non-romantic episode airs, which, oddly, is what many 'critics' on here seem to be doing every time a romantic episode airs.

• Like 7

Did anyone else notice that Sheldon lied in this episode to Kripke's face and he didn't suffer from his trademark facial ticks? Another quirk bites the dust...

560a415d0c8d97e58ba8f37318213823.jpg

Sheldon has lied before without twitching. It's just another one of those quirks that get turned on and off at will. He lied about Leonard meeting the barmaid when he slept with Priya, he lied to Amy's mother about them having sex, just to mention a couple. He is just a terrible liar, and can't keep a secret, but if he can premeditate it he tries.