The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.14 The Cooper/kripke Inversion (Jan. 31)

Your Episode Rating  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Guest DroneInTheSun

Lol because they never censor Hollyoaks and that thing is vile and worse than TBBT.

The Hollyoaks theme tune is like the opposite of Pavlov's bell to me. As soon as I hear the first notes I start screaming and run to change the channel.

Guest DroneInTheSun

I swear this thing is awful. I recorded The Cooper/Kripke Inversion on the Skybox and was five minutes in when the daughter comes in and says "Mind if I watch Hollyoaks now?" and like I always mind it when it's Hollyoaks time but it's even worse when it's eating my Shamy Feels time.

[/OT]

Edited by LostInTheSun
  • Like 2

I am really sorry I brought this science error up and I want to apologize to anyone who got affended by resulting emails resulting from it. It is just that when they said that they were working on a proposal for a fusion reactor it got my attention because I am a Nuclear Engineer. The college would not want a fusion reactor unless they had a nuclear engineering and physics department and those departments would do the proposal, not a person(s) who's speciality is particle physics. The article referenced is meaningless, I'm sorry. I got a little excited when they talked about something in my field, so I just thought I'd make the comment, but it has seemed to have caused some hard feelings, so I am truly sorry. BTW I watch the show for the humor and the character development, not the science.

Sheldon working on a proposal for a fusion reactor did seem odd to me as well but I am not a physicist and I don't work in fusion so I am interested in what you and others have to say about this. As far as I am aware TBBT has done quite well on the science most of the time.

I agree I don't turn to science for humor and I think the show has always been about human interactions and the physics is used as  a prop. On the other hand how often does one see physicists and engineers portrayed on TV at all? How often do we see people on the TV actually say anything intelligent about science on TV beyond the grade school level? These things definitely add to my enjoyment of this show. TBBT is absolutely unique because of the physics-engineering connection.

One thing about forums is a person can just skim over posts that they are not interested in.

I have been watching this show for years. I don't always like everything I see but enjoy the show overall.

The reason I looked up this episode now:

My department is currently looking at getting some 3d printers. I trust we will find a better use for it than just making toys.

I think while the show usually gets the science right, they seem to do a pretty terrible job with the bureaucracy behind the science. The tenure episode was another example. That's just not how tenure works. And they seem to find pretty random ways of getting different characters working together (Raj and Sheldon, Sheldon and Kripke). I think they do bend a lot in order to create comedy through character interaction.

They've also mucked up the neuroscience a couple of times, I'm still outraged over the hemisphere dialogue they gave Amy. While I understand they were trying to make the point of Penny and Bernadette being opposites of each other, it only continues perpetuating that stupid myth of the left-brain and right-brain, which drives me up the wall!!! It also seems that Amy has about 394 different projects she works on some days. Same as Sheldon. 

I think Howard has been the most consistent, career-wise. 

So I think they are generally pretty accurate but humor always comes first, so they will ignore stuff that doesn't fit.

I think while the show usually gets the science right, they seem to do a pretty terrible job with the bureaucracy behind the science. The tenure episode was another example. That's just not how tenure works. And they seem to find pretty random ways of getting different characters working together (Raj and Sheldon, Sheldon and Kripke). I think they do bend a lot in order to create comedy through character interaction.

They've also mucked up the neuroscience a couple of times, I'm still outraged over the hemisphere dialogue they gave Amy. While I understand they were trying to make the point of Penny and Bernadette being opposites of each other, it only continues perpetuating that stupid myth of the left-brain and right-brain, which drives me up the wall!!! It also seems that Amy has about 394 different projects she works on some days. Same as Sheldon. 

I think Howard has been the most consistent, career-wise. 

So I think they are generally pretty accurate but humor always comes first, so they will ignore stuff that doesn't fit.

TBBT's view of academia is a comedians viewpoint and I agree it is likely not realistic. This would put me off if TBBT was sold as a drama. The first thing one has to get past watching this show is that anyone would actually hire Sheldon. I doubt he could get past the first interview.with a selection committee.

Dr. Saltzberg has said they don't listen to any story ideas from him.

I don't actually remember the hemisphere dialogue from Amy.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

Edited by djsurrey

Oh, there's plenty of Sheldon-types in academia (of course, he is exaggerated for comedy, like everything else), so I don't find that all that unrealistic. Especially if he's considered a genius. I also think Sheldon isn't as inept at the workings of academia as they make him out to be, in 6x18 he was the most on-the-ball of them all. 

The Right/Left hemisphere thing was in 5x08, when Penny and Bernadette come to apologize to Amy in her lab. It's pretty much established as a myth in neuroscience by now, it's an old theory that, like many that tried to segregate the brain into neat, little, hardwired modules, is slowly unravelling.

http://www.brainfacts.org/Brain-Basics/Neuroanatomy/Articles/2012/Left-Brained-or-Right-Brained

Did Saltzberg really say they don't listen to stories by him? I missed that. That really sucks, to be honest. I know the show is primary a comedy, but they could be a bit more open-minded to suggestions by their collaborators, especially considering they seem to be constantly Mary-Sueing themselves into episodes with different storylines. 

Edited by koops

The Right/Left hemisphere thing was in 5x08, when Penny and Bernadette come to apologize to Amy in her lab. It's pretty much established as a myth in neuroscience by now, it's an old theory that, like many that tried to segregate the brain into neat, little, hardwired modules, is slowly unravelling.

Oh yes, I remember. Even with the very limited knowledge I have in neuroscience, I was suprised that they used such a cliché. Well, It must be the same with Physics mentionned throughout episodes. :icon_rolleyes:  I hope they won't try to simplify everything now that the show becomes more and more popular. That was a particularity of the BBT that I really enjoy : Science based jokes for scientists ( maybe not scientists but with a minimum nerd level ^^ )

They have a physicist checking the script and I think he catches most of the issues regarding physics.

It might be harder to get something fixed if it is part of a joke and not just part of the "giber-jaber".

Yes, that's what I think they do. If the joke falls apart without it, they ignore it. That's why the whole hemisphere joke would have never worked in that set up had they been more accurate. They also get a lot of grief for the lines they give Penny sometimes about girls never playing D&D etc. 

The line that penny said though was her perception of d&d and not anybody's else's

I saw on Facebook a lot of people complaining about that

Yeah, Bill Prady said that what Penny believes is only what she believes, not what's necessarily true. :)

Yeah, Bill Prady said that what Penny believes is only what she believes, not what's necessarily true. :)

Yes and I think that a good percentage of women watching the show would have been thinking about the same thing Penny said.

I often find it amusing to see which lines my wife will laugh at.

Edited by djsurrey

Yes and I think that a good percentage of women watching the show would have been thinking about the same thing Penny said.

I often find it amusing to see which lines my wife will laugh at.

When I played D&D in college, we had a group of 6, 4 of us, including our Dungeon Master, were girls.  And among the friends that played with us on occasion, there were 2 or 3 girls, as well as 2 or 3 guys. :)

When I played D&D in college, we had a group of 6, 4 of us, including our Dungeon Master, were girls.  And among the friends that played with us on occasion, there were 2 or 3 girls, as well as 2 or 3 guys. :)

Fair enough. This is no big surprise to me. It may be a surprise to girls who never played D&D.

When I played D&D in high school there was only one girl in the group as far as I recall. I had no time for games when I was in University although I recall attempting to interest my girlfriend in it. It was not long before I gave up on that.

I guess one of the things I find hard to believe is that these guys still have any time for this stuff. I'd think their Postdoc research plus one significant relationship would more or less take up all their time. D&D and Comic Con are not going to help one get ahead in research.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy (or Sheldon, as we saw in the Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem). One needs hobbies to give the brain a rest. Not only that, a rested brain can be more productive too, so many random insights just pop up at random times during the day. It's not a job where you can work 9-5 and that's it. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 1

Fair enough. This is no big surprise to me. It may be a surprise to girls who never played D&D.

When I played D&D in high school there was only one girl in the group as far as I recall. I had no time for games when I was in University although I recall attempting to interest my girlfriend in it. It was not long before I gave up on that.

I guess one of the things I find hard to believe is that these guys still have any time for this stuff. I'd think their Postdoc research plus one significant relationship would more or less take up all their time. D&D and Comic Con are not going to help one get ahead in research.

Well, we were kind of a diverse group--I was a music major, my friend who was our dungeon master and another girl were theater majors, my sister was an ed major.  One of the guys majored in Engineering and the other changed his major once or twice.  I think he started out in Engineering, then changed to something else, then I don't know what.

Anyway, except for our one friend, the other theater major, we were all in Marching Band and we would usually play after the football games, and then at least once a month, if not more often.

But we were all good students, too.

Well, we were kind of a diverse group--I was a music major, my friend who was our dungeon master and another girl were theater majors, my sister was an ed major.  One of the guys majored in Engineering and the other changed his major once or twice.  I think he started out in Engineering, then changed to something else, then I don't know what.

Anyway, except for our one friend, the other theater major, we were all in Marching Band and we would usually play after the football games, and then at least once a month, if not more often.

But we were all good students, too.

When I was an engineering student 30 years I was either studying or out with my girlfriend. No more time for chess, D&D or reading "just for fun".

Times were different. Home computers were just becoming available. If I had purchased a home computer I doubt I would have had time for a girlfriend.  Those were the days when the terminal room in the Electrical Engineering building was open 24/7 and the only time I could reliably get on the computer to work on my term project was in the middle of the night. In hindsight I kind of wish I had purchased a computer and skipped the girlfriend as some of my classmates did (that relationship failed eventually anyway).

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy (or Sheldon, as we saw in the Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem). One needs hobbies to give the brain a rest. Not only that, a rested brain can be more productive too, so many random insights just pop up at random times during the day. It's not a job where you can work 9-5 and that's it. 

I have got to agree that students need breaks from studying. When one is doing work that is more self-directed it can be harder to differentiate between work and play. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons FOSS is coming along so well. People can find the stuff they do for work also recreational.

The problem with some of the recreational stuff these guys do is that they can become way too absorbing. Think of Penny in S2E3 The Barbarian Sublimation in which she gets a video game addiction. Also, comic books seem to me to be too juvenile for a bunch of geniuses with PhD's.  Postdocs need to produce papers or they will be looking for other jobs. These guys act more like undergrads than postdocs.

Any hobby can become absorbing, be it "juvenile" or not, it all depends on how good you are at time management. And research can become equally absorbing, to the point of obsession. So it's all about finding a balance.

I don't think any of these guys are having issues with their careers anyway, and Leonard and Sheldon in particular have been in their job for over 10 years now. If they weren't publishing papers they'd already be kicked out. We see them work at home just as much as we see them hang out and play games (most of the Sheldon/Leonard conversation at the apartment happen when they're working at their laptops), often over dinner too, like in this episode. I would hardly say they act like slacking undergraduates! And, as you say, times were different. Nowadays, unless you need to run experiments, you can work from pretty much anywhere. Even running simulations you can remotely connect to servers. It's also a job where you can have months of relatively empty time and then bursts of having to work 24/7 for weeks on end.

• Like 1