6.14 The Cooper/kripke Inversion (Jan. 31)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Sorry to be the skunk at the slumber party but there were only two LOL moments for me - when Howard and Raj first got their action figures and when Sheldon goofed up another fist bump. I can understand all the Shamygasms over the episode but what most others out here  consider to be the "growth" and "humanizing" of Sheldon, I see as the continuing dismantling of a once brilliantly unique character and his transformation into Ross from "Friends". It may be "touching" but he's just not as funny as original Sheldon. I guess it depends on what we expect from the show. LOL moments have taken a back seat to "awwwwww" moments. And the skunk leaves the room. Fire away.

Sorry to be the skunk at the slumber party but there were only two LOL moments for me - when Howard and Raj first got their action figures and when Sheldon goofed up another fist bump. I can understand all the Shamygasms over the episode but what most others out here  consider to be the "growth" and "humanizing" of Sheldon, I see as the continuing dismantling of a once brilliantly unique character and his transformation into Ross from "Friends". It may be "touching" but he's just not as funny as original Sheldon. I guess it depends on what we expect from the show. LOL moments have taken a back seat to "awwwwww" moments. And the skunk leaves the room. Fire away.

Same song.  Turn the record over already.

ETA: For you kids out there, we used to have these things called "records" that were made of vinyl.  There were songs on one side and songs on the other and when you got tired of the song or songs on Side A, you had to turn the record over and listen to Side B.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

About the Howard/Raj/Bernie story--I did think that Bernie was a little rough on Howard.  Though it's very true that he shouldn't just assume that because she makes a good salary that he can just make pretty big expenditures without talking to her.

However, she acted as if he makes minimum wage at McDonald's or something.  While he wasn't paying rent (or was he?) at his mother's house, and only had a Vespa, not a car payment, it's not as if they're paying a big mortgage or have any larger expenses than they had before.  They're still in Bernie's apartment, which she had before she got her big $$ job and they have a new car payment, but that shouldn't take up Howard's whole salary, so what is the money issue?

I know they kind of glossed over all of that to make the funny point--that Howard kind of wasted a lot of money on a toy, and made a big expenditure without talking to her, which he should have done.  You just can't look too closely at the details or you lose the comedy in this one.  But, yeah, she kind of treated him like a child.

Someone made a remark about Howard buying Pokeman cards--I'm assuming he bought them like an old collectible, not that the writers think they're still a fad.  But I guess he must have a really tight food allowance from Bernie if he can't buy lunch and Pokeman cards on the same day. :p

;)

I didn't like when she said that she makes money while he makes peanuts. 1) It's not true. He makes money too; 2) Even if it were true, you shouldn't saying something like that to a person you love...it's just mean.

• Like 1

About the Howard/Raj/Bernie story--I did think that Bernie was a little rough on Howard.  Though it's very true that he shouldn't just assume that because she makes a good salary that he can just make pretty big expenditures without talking to her.

However, she acted as if he makes minimum wage at McDonald's or something.  While he wasn't paying rent (or was he?) at his mother's house, and only had a Vespa, not a car payment, it's not as if they're paying a big mortgage or have any larger expenses than they had before.  They're still in Bernie's apartment, which she had before she got her big $$ job and they have a new car payment, but that shouldn't take up Howard's whole salary, so what is the money issue?

I know they kind of glossed over all of that to make the funny point--that Howard kind of wasted a lot of money on a toy, and made a big expenditure without talking to her, which he should have done.  You just can't look too closely at the details or you lose the comedy in this one.  But, yeah, she kind of treated him like a child.

Someone made a remark about Howard buying Pokeman cards--I'm assuming he bought them like an old collectible, not that the writers think they're still a fad.  But I guess he must have a really tight food allowance from Bernie if he can't buy lunch and Pokeman cards on the same day. :p

I agree. Bernadette came across very badly.

It wasn't bad. It reminded me of the episode when Dennis Kim came to the university and Sheldon felt insecure because Dennis was smarter than him. Only this season the agenda is to move Sheldon towards a physical relationship with Amy. I wish they'd get it over with already, this growth path is a little too obvious for me. Sheldon used to be a god. Now he's full of false pride and lying to cover up that he's not doing as well. The lack of his usual super hero t-shirt seems very fitting in this episode.

When I saw the promo I was sure he was going to say 'yes' or 'we already have' when Penny asked him about sleeping with Amy. But the words 'it's a possibility' are not worthy of that much Leonard belting, even though it was funny and Penny's straight talking manner saved the day.

The action figure stuff was okay, I'd like one of those toys if it was created on a 3D printer. I laughed at Howard's nose and Sheldon's language about sex was funny. But this felt like a filler episode to me. A preparation for whats to come.

I liked Amy in this. Sheldon's predictable crying was not my fave part of that scene though. It was Amy's monkey story and the disturbed look she had when Sheldon described her hugging as being like a boa constrictor. I like this relaxed, kind side of Amy, it made the scene better.

You could direct the same comment to the giddy Shamy lovers. Right? Once again, sauce for the goose.

No, I don't think so because at least we have new things to enjoy every week--and we still love the "science-y stuff" as well, rather than simply sitting in a cranky chair wheezing about "the good ol' days".

Sheldon used to be a god. Now he's full of false pride and lying to cover up that he's not doing as well.

Well, even in the case of Dennis, the kid pointed out Sheldon's mistake. So did Leslie Winkle. So did Raj. So did Stephen Hawking. Sheldon's clearly not intellectually infallible, and has always thought more highly of himself than is realistic (though even the reality is reasonably good).

I just saw the episode. I'm blissfully happy, but it's 4 a.m. and I'm too sleepy to comment in detail. I'll be back tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

Well, even in the case of Dennis, the kid pointed out Sheldon's mistake. So did Leslie Winkle. So did Raj. So did Stephen Hawking. Sheldon's clearly not intellectually infallible, and has always thought more highly of himself than is realistic (though even the reality is reasonably good).

I just saw the episode. I'm blissfully happy, but it's 4 a.m. and I'm too sleepy to comment in detail. I'll be back tomorrow. :)

I hate how our hrs are so off we can barely chat anymore. :(

I started thinking about this..I dont think Bernie puts Howie down necessarily just when he's being stupid in spending she may throw some zingers to get her point across.  I mean sure she realizes he too makes good money but maybe he has his own account, she has her own account and they have a joint account.  Maybe the money going into the joint is more hers, hints the phrase 'peanuts' and he used that joint account to purchase that printer.  That is why she was angry. 

Howard repeatedly said that it was alright for him to buy all sorts of crazy crap because of how much money Bernadette made.  HE didn't say anything about how much THEY made together when he was talking to Raj and Leonard.  Just how much Bernadetted made.   She was well within her rights to dump on him when he is throwing away money that she mostly made.   The one who really screwed up is Howard, by spending that much money on some action figures without even talking it over with his wife.  Just maybe it's time for Howard to grow up, act like a married adult, and stop throwing away money mostly earned by his wife.

• Like 2

I got a real kick out of Kripke at the end when he ask Sheldon if he used any TOYS.  Sheldon of course didn't see anything sexual when he said a Rocket. I know a guy who is as horny as Kripke and is always asking everyone about their sex life. I enjoy telling him wild untrue stories that he believes. Kripke's character is the same type.  

• Like 1

Howard working as an engineer who collaborates on NASA projects will not be making anything less than 125 K. Not sure why he would want to take Bernadette's money to pay 2500 for a printer? In fact I found it weird that Leonard would be asking Howard and Raj if they have 500 dollars each for action figures.All of them are rich except of course for Penny.

1.) Howard is married now, by his own choice, he can't be spending $500 on an action figure on a whim that doesn't even look like him.

2.) Howard can't compound his mistake by spending $2,500 on a 3D printer to make a "better" action figure.

3.) How can anyone who has watched this show since season 1 not see why Penny was so excited when Sheldon stated intercourse with AFF was a possibility. Really? A self proclaimed germaphobe! Some one who said to Penny he could consider having a baby with AFF when they first were going together in a test tube!

4.) Kutra, what's with the shot against Penny? She like Bernie were both monetarily sensible. Perhaps she realizes the worth of a dollar because she isn't "rich" like the others.

IMHO this was an excellent, but short, episode! :)

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 1

I didn't like it.  I might have chuckled a couple of times and laughed maybe once.

I was just saying that the individual relationships and friendships were really being starved for attention so we get a show that barrels through all of them.  I hate this feast or famine approach to writing the show.

Kripke's research was leaps ahead of Sheldon's?  That is not Sheldon making a mistake that is Sheldon being Leonardized.

Even though he made a joke the hugging scene with Amy showed he was comforted by her.  I just wish they had made the conversation about him having sex with Amy a little bit warmer.  Also, maybe in the mean time he could work on complimenting her on something other than intelligence and actually discussing their relationship with Amy.  These are things that would make their "romance" be more believable.

The Howard/Bernadette fight scene was too predictable and I think it fell flat.  They sacrificed the joke for believability.  Instead of saying he was going to use it for printing more action figures and whistles which was incredibly stupid all he had to say was it would help him with his work.  I guess we are supposed to believe he makes far less in his field than a real life counterpart would make.  It would have also made more sense if they had painted Bernie as more of a penny pincher than saying they couldn't afford it.  

I guess 2 really smart guys would buy something online with no satisfaction guarantee?  I know I am supposed to suspend belief but I came out the show when they seemed to have no option to get better results or at least their money back.

Penny being passive aggressive about how Leonard spends his money made total sense too. :icon_rolleyes:   I would not have taken that from her.

• Like 2

1.) Howard is married now, by his own choice, he can't be spending $500 on an action figure on a whim that doesn't even look like him.

2.) Howard can't compound his mistake by spending $2,500 on a 3D printer to make a "better" action figure.

3.) How can anyone who has watched this show since season 1 not see why Penny was so excited when Sheldon stated intercourse with AFF was a possibility. Really? A self proclaimed germaphobe! Some one who said to Penny he could consider having a baby with AFF when they first were going together in a test tube!

4.) Kutra, what's with the shot against Penny? She like Bernie were both monetarily sensible. Perhaps she realizes the worth of a dollar because she isn't "rich" like the others.

IMHO this was an excellent, but short, episode! :)

How is saying that Penny is poor compared to every other character on the show a crack? It is the truth.

Combined Bernie and Howard would not be making less the 325 K annually together. That is in the very rich category.They can afford to blow 2500 for a printer.Now Bernie may not want to waste money but saying that they cannot afford it is ridiculous.