The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ar Diem

Will There Be Babies In Tbbt?

An interesting chat session tonight debated the possibility of Lenny or Shamy offspring.  I think it is possible if the show goes on for 10 seasons.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie gets pregnant at the very end of the series, whenever that might come, but not before that.

I think they know that it would never work in a show like this.

To close the circle started by Leonard's "Smart and Beautiful" babies statement in the Pilot, The finale should have the obvious conclusion.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

To close the circle started by Leonard's "Smart and Beautiful" babies statement in the Pilot, The finale should have the obvious conclusion.

I can see the series finale being about whether or not Penny is pregnant. The tag at the end of the episode (and series) has Penny telling Leonard she is pregnant. And the final words of the series are from Leonard telling Penny: "Our babies will be smart and beautiful". Blackout.

• Like 4

I hope not,  well Penny can find out she is pregnant in the last episode, but I never want to see children on the show.  I think Jim would leave, he made that quite clear that he doesn't want to work with children on the show.

Nope, I don't think this show has the premises to include any kids. There is no way I can see them being incorporated in a storyline at all. I can see pregnancies being confirmed in the very last ep maybe but I don't think there will be any babies. Bernie made it clear she's not keen and I think that was the writers way of saying "Just because we're marrying them doesn't mean there'll be babies on this show". 

• Like 2

Nope, I don't think this show has the premises to include any kids. There is no way I can see them being incorporated in a storyline at all. I can see pregnancies being confirmed in the very last ep maybe but I don't think there will be any babies. Bernie made it clear she's not keen and I think that was the writers way of saying "Just because we're marrying them doesn't mean there'll be babies on this show". 

I 100% agree with your comment regarding B/H. 

I can see the series finale being about whether or not Penny is pregnant. The tag at the end of the episode (and series) has Penny telling Leonard she is pregnant. And the final words of the series are from Leonard telling Penny: "Our babies will be smart and beautiful". Blackout.

Wow, that could be a beautifull for thier relationship,but that could be at he end of last season. And something big for  Leonard , something about what he was sought for. 

And Sheldon saying "and real". Blackout.

I personally would love to see the Shamy in parenting roles. I think it has the potential to be quite hilarious and sweet. That being said, I don't think they'll actually introduce offspring into the show for any of the couples. It's possible, but I don't know how probable.

lol.  Lots of opposition.  Maybe it won't happen.  Most sitcom marriages produce offsprings though.  I think if Lenny gets married sometime next year and the show lasts for 10 we might see something before the finale.  This show is wildly popular so whatever the mainstream wants they will probably get.

I personally wouldn't be against children, but probably only for one of the couples. I don't mind which couple they choose as long as they can come up with some funny and interesting storylines for such an event. I think that would be quite tricky for them though, which is why I don't think it will happen any time soon.

I personally would love to see the Shamy in parenting roles. I think it has the potential to be quite hilarious and sweet. That being said, I don't think they'll actually introduce offspring into the show for any of the couples. It's possible, but I don't know how probable.

The Shamy are the last ones I can see with kids. They are essentially kids themselves still, I just cannot picture them with a baby at all. If TPTB get Amy pregnant just for laughs it'd be a disaster, imo. They have SO MUCH growing up to do themselves that by the time they are grown-up enough to procreate they won't be interesting to watch anymore, so I really hope if there's an overlord coming it won't happen until the very last episode. I wouldn't mind a flash-forward in the series finale to Big Bang: The Next Generation, when all their kids all grown up. That'd be cute and sweet. 

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

I can see how any of the characters might be funny if for some reason they had to take care of a kid--like babysitting or somehow getting stuck in such a situation.

HOWEVER, I think it would be a real stretch to put any of them in such a situation.  I think it would take a lot of convoluted manipulation to make that happen.

I think that Amy and Sheldon would be hilariously clueless, except that Amy might know something in terms of primate care (put it in a cage!) or theoretical biological rules.  However, she does seem to have a lot of cousins that she's always mentioning, so it's possible that she might have been around little kids at some point.

Bernadette supposedly has experience taking care of kids, no matter which version of her backstory you go with--either the "illegal daycare" or having to take care of her siblings--but she might not be the nicest person with kids.  Howard would also be clueless, but if the kid was old enough, at least he could do magic tricks for entertainment--or teach a kid how to play video games.

Leonard would probably try to do well, but would probably panic.  Although, he might have nieces or nephews since both his siblings are married.

Penny would probably do okay, in terms of basic care, but she probably wouldn't want to have to deal with a child for more than a couple of hours.

Raj would probably do best, but I can also see him getting bored with it pretty quickly.

But I still don't think it's a good fit for the show.

HOWEVER, I think it would be a real stretch to put any of them in such a situation.  I think it would take a lot of convoluted manipulation to make that happen.

But I still don't think it's a good fit for the show.

Shamy has required a lot of convoluted manipulation.   It has been a big stretch getting from their original versions to now.   If that can happen, kids can happen.

I am not for, or against.  But of the show lasts for another 3.5 seasons I wouldn't count anything out.

I really don't see the convoluted manipulation in the Shamy. It's been a very very slow progress with baby steps here and there and they're still a long way away from even resembling a "normal" couple, let alone one that has kids. 

I just don't see how kids can fit in a show that's centered around the premise of nerds who are still somewhat kids themselves. Even Penny, although not a nerd, is still very immature. I just don't think this show is about the kind of grown-up stuff that more family-oriented sitcoms are. Girlfriends are one thing, babies are a totally different universe. I think the only way I can see kids being introduced is if the show goes on WELL beyond season 10 to the point that the characters are getting so old and have been together for so long that it'd be unrealistic not to have at least one couple have a baby. But I'm not sure they'll milk the show for all that's worth, plenty of shows end when they think it's time to stop, and I think, again, given the premise of the young nerds who are still childish, once they get to an age where that's not realistic anymore there's no point in having this show any longer.

I really don't see the convoluted manipulation in the Shamy.

Right.  Amy is so much like the character we were originally introduced to. 

I don't know why people keep focusing on Shamy offspring when Lenny is far more plausible.  Their relationship is further along and they are emotionally available.  If her character is 27ish it is a good time for her to start thinking about a family.  Leonard is the most mature of the group so him being a father is not much of a stretch.

It may not happen but it is sitcom 101.  The pregnancy and the delivery writes itself.  Even though he will be jealous of the attention the baby gets you have those Uncle Sheldon moments that the mainstream will find so endearing.

• Like 1

I certainly hope not, and I think it's very unlikely, except as some you said as a series finale event.

I do find Tensor's idea of a 'smart and beautiful and real' moment in the series finale to be exceptionally sweet and poignant, I would certainly stand for that.