Will There Be Babies In Tbbt?

Ar Diem

I'm not saying she hasn't changed, I'm saying that it wasn't convoluted. The writers set off to write the story of the girl that missed out on stuff and desperately wants it when they decided to keep her around, because having another Sheldon was pointless, so that's what they did. Convoluted is when you have to bend over backwards to make something happen. 

I don't think Lenny are emotionally available at all, Penny still has a long way to go, she's just said ILY to Leonard in a rush without even thinking about it, she doesn't seem to have much of a direction in life, I don't think she's even remotely ready to start thinking about a family when she still can't figure out what her deal is with Leonard. 

Btw, when I was talking about the nerds being childish I was talking about all of them, not just the Shamy. The only two I can see being closer to parenthood are Howard and Bernadette but Bernadette has made it clear she does not like children, and I don't think that was a coincidence on the writers' part. 

Right.  Amy is so much like the character we were originally introduced to. 

I don't know why people keep focusing on Shamy offspring when Lenny is far more plausible.  Their relationship is further along and they are emotionally available.  If her character is 27ish it is a good time for her to start thinking about a family.  Leonard is the most mature of the group so him being a father is not much of a stretch.

It may not happen but it is sitcom 101.  The pregnancy and the delivery writes itself.  Even though he will be jealous of the attention the baby gets you have those Uncle Sheldon moments that the mainstream will find so endearing.

I tried to write a response earlier, but it apparently disappeared into the either.

But this post seems to underscore one of the things I mentioned in that response.

I get the feeling that you almost want to see babies on the show just so that you can point to it and say, "See I told you so!" and show that the show has pandered to the wider, "dumber" audience.

The situation in this show is very different from most sitcom shows in that even though we have characters in relationships, the way they've set them up is not really accommodating to anyone having children.

And I don't think that Amy's evolution is any stranger than Sheldon's when you take into consideration that she has been "opened up" by her association with Penny and Bernadette.  True, they've changed a couple of her very early attitudes in the first couple of episodes in which we saw her, but I think that that's true of all of the characters to some degree.

I think that when they first wrote her, as a "female Sheldon" they didn't really have much back story in mind for her, let alone an exact idea of how they were going to develop her and Sheldon as they went forward in their relationship.

But I do think that it's not unnatural or completely out of character for Amy to have had this sort of idealized vision of romance or relationships with men, etc.  She had some "clinical" experience with orgasm, for example, but apparently no actual sexual experience.  Though she initially talked about no physical contact, that was also on their very first date, so it's not unusual.

I think that though they may have tweaked certain aspects of her character, she's also been on a journey like the others.

• Like 2

The only person I see maybe getting pregnant is Bernadette. It will be a surprise pregnancy but I think she and Howie will be thrilled. I don't see that happening till the last season or maybe the season finale.

I hope penny gets a great acting job and moves away w Leonard.

Sheldon and Amy live in the apartment. And get engaged :D

I don't think Lenny are emotionally available at all, Penny still has a long way to go, she's just said ILY to Leonard in a rush without even thinking about it, she doesn't seem to have much of a direction in life, I don't think she's even remotely ready to start thinking about a family when she still can't figure out what her deal is with Leonard.

They would be emotionally available to a child and I have a feeling their attitude towards each other will take some big steps before the end of this season. It would take all of one scene in one episode to give her some direction in life and in the real world starting a family before a direction is found is not a requirement.

I just wonder if this was early season 2 and I asked if Sheldon would ever have a girlfriend if it would have gotten similiar responses.

I tried to write a response earlier, but it apparently disappeared into the either.

But this post seems to underscore one of the things I mentioned in that response.

I get the feeling that you almost want to see babies on the show just so that you can point to it and say, "See I told you so!" and show that the show has pandered to the wider, "dumber" audience.

The situation in this show is very different from most sitcom shows in that even though we have characters in relationships, the way they've set them up is not really accommodating to anyone having children.

And I don't think that Amy's evolution is any stranger than Sheldon's when you take into consideration that she has been "opened up" by her association with Penny and Bernadette.  True, they've changed a couple of her very early attitudes in the first couple of episodes in which we saw her, but I think that that's true of all of the characters to some degree.

I think that when they first wrote her, as a "female Sheldon" they didn't really have much back story in mind for her, let alone an exact idea of how they were going to develop her and Sheldon as they went forward in their relationship.

But I do think that it's not unnatural or completely out of character for Amy to have had this sort of idealized vision of romance or relationships with men, etc.  She had some "clinical" experience with orgasm, for example, but apparently no actual sexual experience.  Though she initially talked about no physical contact, that was also on their very first date, so it's not unusual.

I think that though they may have tweaked certain aspects of her character, she's also been on a journey like the others.

I am just having a little fun with the discussion.  I am not wrong though.  Most sitcom married couples have families unless they are given a specific reason not to.  If Lenny gets to marriage sometime next year it is plausible they may be pregnant as early as the next season.  They may even be pregnant before they get married.

You guys may know more about this than I do but I took it from the way Amy was originally written it was not intended for them to be a couple and that came later so they had to do alterations.

First of all:

Why in season 10 will be the final of this program?? Why everybody look like sure about "the last season number 10"? I want at least to reach 15 seasons pleassseee!!

Second:

NO KIDS PLEASE :icon_rolleyes:

They would be emotionally available to a child and I have a feeling their attitude towards each other will take some big steps before the end of this season. It would take all of one scene in one episode to give her some direction in life and in the real world starting a family before a direction is found is not a requirement.

I just wonder if this was early season 2 and I asked if Sheldon would ever have a girlfriend if it would have gotten similiar responses.

Where do you get this impression that they are emotionally available to a child? They might take some big steps over the rest of the season, but to go from barely saying ILY to having a child is a big leap. 

Saying whether Sheldon would EVER have a girlfriend is different from saying whether Sheldon is ready to have a girlfriend NOW (as in, S2). Penny, imo, isn't ready NOW, and I don't think TPTB are interested in a baby storyline at all. I'm sure Penny will be ready at some point, but there's a big difference between how Sheldon got a girlfriend and what you are suggesting. It wasn't done in one scene just to set him up, it was done over a season and a half. And it's still very much a work in progress. This is not the kind of show that has characters have one scene that changes everything, they like to stick with the status quo for as long as possible and develop things in baby steps. They don't do sudden changes. The appeal of Leonard and Penny to the audience is the whole uncertainty thing, as much as it pains the Lennys, and the writers know that. If you have them settled down, married and pregnant in S8 already, with 2 more seasons to go, what stories are you going to tell about them? 

I am just having a little fun with the discussion.  I am not wrong though.  Most sitcom married couples have families unless they are given a specific reason not to.  If Lenny gets to marriage sometime next year it is plausible they may be pregnant as early as the next season.  They may even be pregnant before they get married.

You guys may know more about this than I do but I took it from the way Amy was originally written it was not intended for them to be a couple and that came later so they had to do alterations.

Howard and Bernadette are married and yet the writers made it clear they won't have kids just yet by having Bernadette say she doesn't like them and doesn't want her career to suffer. 

Amy was blatantly introduced to be Sheldon's girlfriend, did you not see 3x23? The whole point of it was that it was a relationship that developed in a Sheldon-way, and that's what's funny about it. That for all intents and purposes they were a couple since day 1, and everybody treated them as such, and they even behaved as such, but they didn't even know it. They changed Amy because they didn't want her to be just a copy-cat of Sheldon and because they wanted to tell a different story with her character, but they knew where they were going with it since the moment they introduced her. She wasn't introduced just because they wanted to add a character, especially a character that was the copy-cat of one they had already. 

I'm not saying I will stop watching the show if Penny ends up pregnant, you never know what they might come up with to give it an original twist and keep it interesting. But I truly believe the writers do not even think about babies for this show, and I just find it hard to envision how they could fit in it.

First of all:

Why in season 10 will be the final of this program?? Why everybody look like sure about "the last season number 10"? I want at least to reach 15 seasons pleassseee!!

Second:

NO KIDS PLEASE :icon_rolleyes:

10 is a solid number for a sitcom.  Very few shows have ever made it that far.  The people doing the show get tired and bored of it after awhile.  Keeping the cast together for 15 seasons would be quite a feat.

I don't think any of the couples will have children

• Penny is too carefree and I don't think she will ever really want kids and Leonard would respect that
  • Sheldon said he wants kids, but he wants maybe a surrogate or adopt, because I don't think he will have sex
  • Bernadette is the most likely answer, but that's doubtful because she doesn't enjoy kids

I'm not saying I will stop watching the show if Penny ends up pregnant, you never know what they might come up with to give it an original twist and keep it interesting. But I truly believe the writers do not even think about babies for this show, and I just find it hard to envision how they could fit in it.

Well I haven't figured out how they intend Shamy to work longterm so I can't help you with a baby.  The vision for Howard and Bernadette seems to have been on the dry side.  If Amy was introduced to be more than a torture point for Sheldon they didn't have much initial vision there either.

I don't get the sense that they have a big plan for all of it and in that respect anything is possible.  I don't want the baby because it would be too predictable and the last thing the show needs is more characters... even ones that can't talk yet.  However, I am surviving Shamy so I suppose I could survive the inevitable late night scenes with the crying baby and watching Sheldon being instantly great with the child.

I'd rather have the show end sooner and end good than last too long and die a painful death. Been there, done that with The X-Files, I don't want a repeat.

10000 percent agree.  I can think of many shows that would have been better off ending 2 seasons earlier.  The Office is one of them right now.

Well I haven't figured out how they intend Shamy to work longterm so I can't help you with a baby.  The vision for Howard and Bernadette seems to have been on the dry side.  If Amy was introduced to be more than a torture point for Sheldon they didn't have much initial vision there either.

I don't get the sense that they have a big plan for all of it and in that respect anything is possible.  I don't want the baby because it would be too predictable and the last thing the show needs is more characters... even ones that can't talk yet.  However, I am surviving Shamy so I suppose I could survive the inevitable late night scenes with the crying baby and watching Sheldon being instantly great with the child.

You keep insisting that it's "inevitable", but there's nothing that says it is.  And your assumption as to how they would do it is pretty ridicuolous as well.

I also wonder why it is you can't understand how the Shamy would work longterm--or why any of them would have a baby.

I think that the Shamy will work longterm--for however long the show continues--because they started out basing the relationship on shared interests and compatible personalities, even if they don't agree on everything (and who ever does in real life??)  The only real factor at issue at this point is Sheldon's issues with things like physical contact, but the emotion and understanding has been growing between them little by little since they first met and will carry them through future developments.

I get the feeling that you seem to watch the show with a big ol' chip on your shoulder or something.   You keep making assumptions or jumping to conclusions or something based on things unrelated to this specific show, or based on whatever it is you want the show to be rather than what it is.

I'm not saying that's all there is to it for you, but your stance in these conversations (not just this thread) seems to suggest it.

You keep insisting that it's "inevitable", but there's nothing that says it is.  And your assumption as to how they would do it is pretty ridicuolous as well.

I also wonder why it is you can't understand how the Shamy would work longterm--or why any of them would have a baby.

I think that the Shamy will work longterm--for however long the show continues--because they started out basing the relationship on shared interests and compatible personalities, even if they don't agree on everything (and who ever does in real life??)  The only real factor at issue at this point is Sheldon's issues with things like physical contact, but the emotion and understanding has been growing between them little by little since they first met and will carry them through future developments.

I get the feeling that you seem to watch the show with a big ol' chip on your shoulder or something.   You keep making assumptions or jumping to conclusions or something based on things unrelated to this specific show, or based on whatever it is you want the show to be rather than what it is.

I'm not saying that's all there is to it for you, but your stance in these conversations (not just this thread) seems to suggest it.

In context I said if they had a baby the late night crying scene would be inevitable and it sort of would be.  There are only so many ways to script in a baby and supply humor. 

Let me correct one thing.  I don't see how Shamy could work longterm and it still be as funny.  I don't like Shamy because I feel like the only reason it is happening is because Sheldon was too popular and it violated a sitcom rule for him to be single.  I don't want a Lenny baby either but it could happen for the very same reason.

We all want the show to be a specific way.  Some like it the way it is now better.  Some liked it the way it was before more.  I have never made it a secret that I liked it better before.

A pregnancy in the final season is pretty standard for most sitcoms and other characters announcing pregnancies and depends on how they do the series finale...it may be children than babies. 

The series finale may not be when they think it is.  Supernatural was supposed to be done and they brought it back.  They show could end without a true finale too.

I can almost guarantee that this show will not go past season 10.  

I hope not but being so popular in the sixth season scares me.  If there is character development I wish 8 were the limit and it had nothing to do with ratings.  Tell a good story, supply some laughs, and end it on top.  A show with a specific timeline like Scrubs should have ended shortly after their residency did.

I hate it when good shows end up like zombies.

I don't think any of the couples will have children

• Penny is too carefree and I don't think she will ever really want kids and Leonard would respect that
  • Sheldon said he wants kids, but he wants maybe a surrogate or adopt, because I don't think he will have sex
  • Bernadette is the most likely answer, but that's doubtful because she doesn't enjoy kids

Your points make good sense, though I don't think the lack of a shamy baby will come from Sheldon not wanting to have sex.

Edited by Razberrypie

Your points make good sense, though I don't think the lack of a shamy baby will come from Sheldon not wanting to have sex, since he recently established that it was possible :p

Is this a spoiler? because if it is please do not post spoilers outside threads which are clearly marked. There are still some of us who don't read taping reports. I love my TBBT, as it comes. And I rarely, if ever, look ahead by reading those things.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Is this a spoiler? because if it is please do not post spoilers outside threads which are clearly marked. There are still some of us who don't read taping reports. I love my TBBT, as it comes. And I rarely, if ever, not look ahead by reading those things.

Apologies, my mistake, I often don't remember which threads have been marked when I follow so many at once!

He mentioned in season 4 that he and Amy might have a test tube baby but Penny pointed out that his mother would disapprove. I don't read the spoilers so I don't know if he said it recently.   

Yes, that is a good point! But what I said was a spoiler (which, again, I apologise for) so I will keep by lip sealed from now on until the episode airs :).

I can see the series finale being about whether or not Penny is pregnant. The tag at the end of the episode (and series) has Penny telling Leonard she is pregnant. And the final words of the series are from Leonard telling Penny: "Our babies will be smart and beautiful". Blackout.

Or dumb and short? ;)

Is this a spoiler? because if it is please do not post spoilers outside threads which are clearly marked. There are still some of us who don't read taping reports. I love my TBBT, as it comes. And I rarely, if ever, look ahead by reading those things.

There really wasnt a spoiler there as it was a vague observation/desire. :)