The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

Jim Parsons An Exec Producer?

This sounds so exciting. Trust Jim and Todd to come up with something creative and inspiring for a first production.

Does anyone know what's the difference between producing and executive-producing? The title makes me curious.

This sounds so exciting. Trust Jim and Todd to come up with something creative and inspiring for a first production.

Does anyone know what's the difference between producing and executive-producing? The title makes me curious.

Exec is the one who puts forth the money/funding. 

Exec is the one who puts forth the money/funding. 

Ok, thanks. And what does the producer do? (I thought the funding is from the producer).

Ok, thanks. And what does the producer do? (I thought the funding is from the producer).

Producer: Individual who has the greatest involvement and oversight among a film's various producers. In smaller companies or independent projects, may be the equivalent of the executive producer. 

Executive Producer: In major productions, usually a representative or CEO of the film studio - although the title may be given as an honorarium to a major investor - often oversees the financial, administrative and creative aspects of production, though not technical aspects. In smaller companies or independent projects, may be synonymous with creator/writer.

Co-Producer: A producer who reports to the Executive Producer and provides money to finance a project. In large productions, the co-producer is more involved in the day-to-day production. In independent projects, the title can connote an involvement in the inception of the production. 

Associate Producer: Usually acts as a representative of the Producer, who may share financial, creative, or administrative responsibilities, delegated from that producer. Often, a title for an experienced film professional acting as a consultant or a title granted as a courtesy to one who makes a major financial or creative contribution to the production. According to David Mamet, "It's what you give your secretary instead of a raise." 

Assistant producer: Usually works under the direction of the Associate Producer.

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

Thanks for the info! So Jim and Todd are likely to have quite a principal role in creating the show, apart from funding it. That's what I wanted to know. Sounds great. :)

Where pray-tell did I say they were not a couple?  Just by my quote from JP directly of "people dont know as much as they think." Does not state anything about their personal life.

That alone wouldn't, but given that whenever you've mentioned the possibility that they have a business relationship in the past, it's been in the context of arguing there's not enough evidence to reasonably conclude they're a couple, and being openly frustrated that people were concluding that, it's hard to interpret "hate to say I told you so about Jim working FOR Todd" any other way.

That alone wouldn't, but given that whenever you've mentioned the possibility that they have a business relationship in the past, it's been in the context of arguing there's not enough evidence to reasonably conclude they're a couple, and being openly frustrated that people were concluding that, it's hard to interpret "hate to say I told you so about Jim working FOR Todd" any other way.

They have been business partners for a long time and a lot of people do not know that.  I've never stated they are not a couple but I never believe the media ever!  I'm in the business and have been for a long time.  You learn real quick to never be vulnerable or count on social media outlets.  For example; that article that people believe about how Jim proposed to Todd at the awards ceremony is false and fake and didn't happen.  What bugs me most is when people take things like that as a FACT when it is not.  I've conversed with Jim directly and a quote that I will never forget from him is 'People don't know as much as they think.' Who's word do you think I'm gonna take?

@shelray just out of curiosity how well do you know Jim?

We're not besties or anything but since I do work close and sometimes on the WB lot, I do get to see them on occasion.  Actually my casual contact with him occurred in NYC.  

Oh ok its nice that you are defending him on here with regards to him and todds working relationship

Jim is a very special man and he deserves as much respect as he can get and more so.  :)

• Like 1

You know every interview I have seen him do he always comes across as very humble and down to earth like he probably cant believe his luck at getting such a great role with Sheldon and he always has good things to say about people he works with

Edited by rachygd

You know every interview I have seen him do he always comes across as very humble and down to earth like he probably cant believe his luck at getting such a great role with Sheldon

That's what I love most about him.  He doesn't let fame or fortune take over his personality and life. Same Texan as always.  However he has stated he's not as nice as he used to be.  I can hardly believe that, honestly. 

• Like 1

@shelray have you done a bit of acting yourself?

Yup!  Check my website. \|/ :)  I also had a feature in Rock Star with Jennifer Aniston and Mark Wahlberg. 

They have been business partners for a long time and a lot of people do not know that.  I've never stated they are not a couple but I never believe the media ever!  I'm in the business and have been for a long time.  You learn real quick to never be vulnerable or count on social media outlets.  For example; that article that people believe about how Jim proposed to Todd at the awards ceremony is false and fake and didn't happen.  What bugs me most is when people take things like that as a FACT when it is not.  I've conversed with Jim directly and a quote that I will never forget from him is 'People don't know as much as they think.' Who's word do you think I'm gonna take?

My protest is simply that I don't think gun-jumping or gullibility were involved in this case, at least not in BBT forums, as you imply. We can agree to disagree, it's not a big deal, but that's all I've been trying to say. 

I don't believe media stories without substantial evidence to show either, and I didn't and never would assume stories like that Emmy proposal to be true. Like most of the fans online who've been thinking of them as a couple for some time, I did so not because of media claims, but because of the mountains of circumstantial evidence I could see and judge for myself. The candid and event photographs/footage, in some of which they're posing as a couple would, the vacation photographs, the joint donation document, and also things that fans shouldn't be able to stumble upon because they had no right to be online, but that once stumbled on are convincing nonetheless. Then there was Mayim's podcast interview. If you think that's an unreasonable set of evidence for people to have based our conclusion on, that's fine, but it's not the case that mere journalists' articles were the evidence.

Edited by nerdywordy

That's what I love most about him.  He doesn't let fame or fortune take over his personality and life. Same Texan as always.  However he has stated he's not as nice as he used to be.  I can hardly believe that, honestly. 

He does say he's getting cantankerous and is not as social as he used to be. That's probably just his own interpretation, because people around him seem to find him as nice as ever - but if he's become a bit more reserved, I believe it must be a natural reaction to becoming so much more famous and well-known than he was a few years back. With so many people everywhere coming on to him, wanting autographs, wanting to hug him etc, I'm sure it's essential to step back a bit and try to avoid the onslaught sometimes, just to maintain his sanity.

He does say he's getting cantankerous and is not as social as he used to be. That's probably just his own interpretation, because people around him seem to find him as nice as ever - but if he's become a bit more reserved, I believe it must be a natural reaction to becoming so much more famous and well-known than he was a few years back. With so many people everywhere coming on to him, wanting autographs, wanting to hug him etc, I'm sure it's essential to step back a bit and try to avoid the onslaught sometimes, just to maintain his sanity.

He suggested it might be age. Studies do indicate that on average, people become more introverted with age. Not introverted meaning shy, but introverted meaning having less frequent desire for social interaction, wanting more quiet time alone instead. That will make you less friendly in the sense that you'll less often want to do things like start a conversation with a stranger, or get invited out on consecutive weekends, because those things intrude on your moments of calm or reflection. The fact that he was voted "class friendliest" and friendliness seems to form part of his self-image (based on things he's said), probably makes him more aware of the shift in that direction than most, as well as being more in demand socially due to fame, as you say.

Edited by nerdywordy

I'm sure that might be another reason. I have no personal experience of this, since I've always been introverted right from when I was a kid :p (in fact I'm a little better at socializing now, with experience gained over the years). But for someone who was very friendly to start with, the development of reticence with age may be noticeable.

I'm sure that might be another reason. I have no personal experience of this, since I've always been introverted right from when I was a kid :p (in fact I'm a little better at socializing now, with experience gained over the years). But for someone who was very friendly to start with, the development of reticence with age may be noticeable.

I also wonder if quiet time or alone time is how he recharges--some people "recharge their batteries" by going out and socializing and others do it by having alone time or quiet time at home.  I think that he's a friendly, nice guy, but he does seem to value his "down" time.

I know that for myself, going out to socialize is very draining.  While I can have a great time with certain close friends or family and spend a long time talking or whatever, when it comes to more casual friends or acquaintances, I really have to work hard at being sociable.

I was invited to a reception for a colleague who played a solo with our orchestra this weekend and though I really wanted to go because this guy is my neighbor and he's a great player and all that, I was kind of looking for an excuse not to go.  But I did go in the end--and it was hard.  Fortunately it was almost all musicians from the orchestra and I had a few "shop talk" things to talk about with a few people, but still I felt awkward and had to work at making my self talk to people.

Fortunately I had the SAG awards to go home to, so I stayed a short time, talked to a few people, had one small glass of a very nice white wine, and got the heck outta dodge.  So, even though I felt awkward and stupid, I think it went okay. :p

Edited by phantagrae

I also wonder if quiet time or alone time is how he recharges--some people "recharge their batteries" by going out and socializing and others do it by having alone time or quiet time at home.  I think that he's a friendly, nice guy, but he does seem to value his "down" time.

I know that for myself, going out to socialize is very draining.  While I can have a great time with certain close friends or family and spend a long time talking or whatever, when it comes to more casual friends or acquaintances, I really have to work hard at being sociable.

Exactly. Exactly. I can totally relate. I read somewhere that that's how 'introverts' are defined - they lose energy when socializing, and need to get back their groove alone, while extroverts gain energy and a sense of well-being from any kind of company and conversation. I saw myself in that statement.

I think you, me, Jim and Mayim all suffer from this need to recharge alone.

Exactly. Exactly. I can totally relate. I read somewhere that that's how 'introverts' are defined - they lose energy when socializing, and need to get back their groove alone, while extroverts gain energy and a sense of well-being from any kind of company and conversation. I saw myself in that statement.

I think you, me, Jim and Mayim all suffer from this need to recharge alone.

If I had to guess, I would say that most people on forums are introverts. The extroverts are out playing.