The Big Bang Theory Forums

Without Penny the show would have been off the air the first year. Changed Leonard and Sheldon for the better. Only main character that comes close to truly understanding Sheldon.( I apologize Amy fans)

• Like 1

Loser par excellence.What type of person mooches food of her friends for years and year? No career,no ambition, no drive, no education, no housekeeping skills.Basically a good for nothing. 

I like the juxtaposition of Penny being the only really good looking / cool character in the show, but she's come around to understand, appreciate and even date the nerds......plus she has her own issues with lack of education, work opportunities, social background........she could be the product of any secondary (high) school here in the U.K! (only with a different accent!) - 3rd Favourite

Penny's not perfect but she brightens up the show for me. One line from her can lighten the moment and make me smile.

In the Egg Salad when Sheldon gets the girls together to talk about Alex, Penny just says "what is happening?" Just three words but she does it so well, and it sums up exactly what the audience is thinking. Love how Kaley plays her.

• Like 1

Like her or not, the show doesn't work without some version of her.  She's needed as a contrast to the guys' quirkiness.  She's the "straight man" of the show.

Loser par excellence.What type of person mooches food of her friends for years and year? No career,no ambition, no drive, no education, no housekeeping skills.Basically a good for nothing. 

Dude, you are so not where I'm coming from.

Imagine the show without her or similar. Eye candy, aspirational hot girl, bridge between worlds- all that. Also you can hire a housekeeper but you can't buy love. Don't really want to watch the sausage fest s1-3 would have been without her, and who would of?

I don't understand the relationship model you are starting from. It seems more like you are working off a checklist. Maybe it's cultural but romantic, stupid, quixotic love is fairly normal in western literature/ fiction and this is no documentary. Attraction, then work out the details. But whatever works for you.

Stupid quixotic love hardly ever works in the real life.When only one person is contributing in a any way resentment build. Would have prefered someone like Bernadatte for Leonard.Smart and "normal".Howard is a lucky guy.

Penny is no more aspirational.What has she achieved during most of her 20's,which are prime productive years to set up the rest of a person's life.

I've already spoken about Penny somewhere here in the forum.

I repeat myself again. She is a promising actress. If she works at it... she can be whatever she wants to be.

Penny is an essential character on the show. Without her and her influence the show would be very diffident indeed! (Unaired Pilot; I'm looking at you.)

That having been said: I don't like her, much. She grates on my nerves and basically drives me around the bend. But like I said before -- her character is necessary to making the show work. *Sigh* I just wish in some scenes she would be nicer to our boys. And in others I think she is too much of a pushover. In the beginning for instance: she is a pushover at times. On the later series she is sort of a bitch!

Please may the writers discover a happier balance for this much needed character!

• Like 1

Stupid quixotic love hardly ever works in the real life.When only one person is contributing in a any way resentment build. Would have prefered someone like Bernadatte for Leonard.Smart and "normal".Howard is a lucky guy.

Penny is no more aspirational.What has she achieved during most of her 20's,which are prime productive years to set up the rest of a person's life.

And part of the creative challenge in this fictional universe is for the writers to use these tensions as they arise to generate comedy.

Howard is lucky and Bernadette is successful but examine where the funny is. Howard is a reformed creep and borderline stalker and Bernadette has acted out violently against Amy's car (she keyed it) as a substitute for violence against Amy - of what else is she capable? I hope Howard sleeps well and behaves himself. In real life I'd be worried. Makes me now pine for the s1-3 innocence a bit ( if it was there).

None of them are perfect role models. And Penny's failures make some of the audience root for her as an underdog. Or not, as you say. But we still pay attention. That's the creative success. IMHO.

I concur that the show would be almost meaningless without her, however the writers did a disservice to the show by at times making her mean, shallow and excessively arrogant to Leonard. I think that have done well for her character this year by addressing those issues and helping her character mature.

• Like 1

I concur that the show would be almost meaningless without her, however the writers did a disservice to the show by at times making her mean, shallow and excessively arrogant to Leonard. I think that have done well for her character this year by addressing those issues and helping her character mature.

I agree

Her character was needed, because you need a “normal” to counter the weirdness.  But I also agree

the writers did a disservice to her character at times, especially in season four and to a lesser extent in season five.

To be honest it seemed they were purposely trying to make her as unlikable as possible in season four. 

By the end season four, I was half expecting her to be written off (in the real world it is highly unlikely she and Lenard would have gotten back together after sleeping with one of his so called friends).

But I do think they are trying to evolve her character into a more mature version that actually could become likable again.

Hopefully the writers find other ways to make her character funny versus a drunk who treats the guy she supposedly cares about like a dog and who sleeps with anyone not named Howard or Sheldon.

When the writers don’t try so hard she is likable and funny, it’s when they want to be “edgy” that they completely bomb with her character.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Penny's looks on another thread. I think the directors change Penny's attractiveness depending on the story. For instance in the egg salad episode they down played her looks because she felt inferior to Alex, however in the ILY episode I thought she look stunning while building up Leonard. I think she also looked stunning when she was seducing Leonard in his lab or during the beta test. I think some times her attractiveness is used as a prop. I do not think that is unusual.

• Like 2

Someone mentioned Penny's looks on another thread. I think the directors change Penny's attractiveness depending on the story. For instance in the egg salad episode they down played her looks because she felt inferior to Alex, however in the ILY episode I thought she look stunning while building up Leonard. I think she also looked stunning when she was seducing Leonard in his lab or during the beta test. I think some times her attractiveness is used as a prop. I do not think that is unusual.

I agree. That's why I take no notice of it, its all part of the story.

• Like 1

I have a question maybe a more experienced fan can answer. Early in the show we see a little jealousy in Penny with Leslie Winkle, But there is no Jealousy with Dr. Stephanie. Then after the break up we see it with Dr. Plimpton and Priya, but not the Donor. Why is that? Just curious.

I have a question maybe a more experienced fan can answer. Early in the show we see a little jealousy in Penny with Leslie Winkle, But there is no Jealousy with Dr. Stephanie. Then after the break up we see it with Dr. Plimpton and Priya, but not the Donor. Why is that? Just curious.

I'm not sure if there is a definite answer to this. I'm assuming the leslie Winkle was season 2 (not 1). Part of that I think that was the episode after their real first date and Leslie was educated and she was not. Dr. Stephanie was a little later and I think Penny sort of moved on from Leonard at that point. I think Dr. Plimpton was like the second episode after they broke up in season 3. He was supposedly so devastated about breaking up with Penny but seem to move on quickly. It didn't help that she was beautiful too. Actually she started out okay with Leonard and Priya but Amy pointed out that she was beautiful and came from the country that was known for the karma sutra.That's when Penny started crying. The Donor Penny knew all about what was going on with trying to get money for the university. Not only that the woman was like 70 years old and how can you get jealous over that. 

• Like 1

i dont like everything about her but today i watched this episode from season 2 where she kinda wants to protect the guys from this new girl that moved in

and that was kinda sweet

i liked that

Penny was not jealous of Dr. Stephanie because Leonard came to her with his questions about the relationship. Penny explained to Leonard that Stephanie had moved in to Leonard's apartment against his intention. Penny also measures Leonard's other female interest by their looks relative to her. She always makes a descriptive comment about their attractiveness and she made none about the good doctor. 

Penny had no fear of Dr. Stephanie since she was not going to be around for long.

Edited by BangerMain