Jump to content

Tripper
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 3 months later...

Well, this thread seems to have gone quiet, which is rather a pity IMO. Penny is the romantic heroine, but she's more than just half of Lenny, In S9 it's been made pretty clear she's not happy in her job, but no hints as to how that could be resolved. Of course, most of the world's work is done by people who aren't particularly happy in their jobs, but in TBBT-land she's the only one. Any guesses as to what the writers might have her do next?

An inconsistency just occurred to me: Penny has a financial adviser (her "guy") with whom she apparently invests her savings fron her earnings: but is it possible to get a better return than by paying down her massive credit card debt? I suppose the writers just liked the line about "my guy" and he'll never be mentioned again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

Well, this thread seems to have gone quiet, which is rather a pity IMO. Penny is the romantic heroine, but she's more than just half of Lenny, In S9 it's been made pretty clear she's not happy in her job, but no hints as to how that could be resolved. Of course, most of the world's work is done by people who aren't particularly happy in their jobs, but in TBBT-land she's the only one. Any guesses as to what the writers might have her do next?

An inconsistency just occurred to me: Penny has a financial adviser (her "guy") with whom she apparently invests her savings fron her earnings: but is it possible to get a better return than by paying down her massive credit card debt? I suppose the writers just liked the line about "my guy" and he'll never be mentioned again.

I think the writers forgot about "her guy" as soon as they wrote the next episode.

I wonder if the writers will give Penny a new job, and what will it be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the writers concentrate properly on Penny in S10. Part of S9 she was all over the place. In 905 and 909 Penny was showing an immature and unlikely interest in Amy's other dates - why would Penny (or Bernadette, come to that) be interested? She has a life of her own to concentrate on. And spying on someone's date - come on! At the end of 915 L & P as cupids were just childish. Penny's growth in maturity is the long story, and her regrets in S9 for "lost youth" were fine, but such silly behaviour as in the 3 eps I've mentioned just throws her back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I hope the writers concentrate properly on Penny in S10. Part of S9 she was all over the place. In 905 and 909 Penny was showing an immature and unlikely interest in Amy's other dates - why would Penny (or Bernadette, come to that) be interested? She has a life of her own to concentrate on. And spying on someone's date - come on! At the end of 915 L & P as cupids were just childish. Penny's growth in maturity is the long story, and her regrets in S9 for "lost youth" were fine, but such silly behaviour as in the 3 eps I've mentioned just throws her back.

Because they are friends John, that's why she interacts with them it's simple really when you think about it.

I'm curious to see what sort of career change the writers have in store for her, especially as they have ruled out acting and a profession that encourages using her looks or flirting to be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

Because they are friends John, that's why she interacts with them it's simple really when you think about it.

 

But not school friends - do you really believe married 30-somethings would behave like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

But not school friends - do you really believe married 30-somethings would behave like that?

I think she has a decent life balance to be honest, she has her husband and her friends. It seems like the only thing missing is perhaps a new challenge in her career. I am not married but if I was I don't think I would suddenly ditch my friends or change a lot because of it, it's not like you can't have both.

Edited by Jonny83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But not school friends - do you really believe married 30-somethings would behave like that?

The thing is the writers don't even show or make Penny act like she is married most of the time. So yeah it believable she will act that way.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

The thing is the writers don't even show or make Penny act like she is married most of the time. So yeah it believable she will act that way.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

It has been mentioned before that the writers don't know how to write a married couple. We have the same problem with bernie and howard. I'm very curious to see what season 10 will bring to Penny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the idea the show don't show Penny is married most of the time, kinda LOL worthy to me. What every episode they need Penny to walk into 4A and Scream I am married!! Just in case you forgot :laugh:. YOu would think the Ring on her finger is enough, but apparently not. IF this is based on her behaviour, her beahviour is very domesticated to me. And I Think it was very obvious most of the season she is married. Partic S9 finaie. It is like with ehr character, is it very realistic, that is the problem. It's not meant to be. IS it realistic, that A Waitress can afford the same apartment, as Two succesful Physicists from across the hall. And now Penny has degressed, because she was young and fun in that VD ep Valentino Submergrence? ARe ppl for real. They were growing old, and married. The point of that was to proove they can still be young and fun. What do they need to an old married couple. The point was their is still time to have fun. I don't get this fanbase some times. Their is nothing wrong with adults having fun. The change of Penny has really changed this how, and the writing of ehr character. I would like to see more focus on Penny's career again in S10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The career thing should be resolved in Season 10 and it does interest me to see what direction they go in. It will have to be a plausible career change and at the same time something very different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I'm assuming the writers have shown Penny's dissatisfaction with her job in S9 because they have some interesting way to resolve it planned. Otherwise it could just reflect her restricted social circle - every one of her friends that we know of is a research scientist or engineer, who have unusually high levels of Job Satisfaction (sometimes touted as a cheap substitute for money by managements). Penny doesn't have a single friend who works because they have to, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

I'm assuming the writers have shown Penny's dissatisfaction with her job in S9 because they have some interesting way to resolve it planned. Otherwise it could just reflect her restricted social circle - every one of her friends that we know of is a research scientist or engineer, who have unusually high levels of Job Satisfaction (sometimes touted as a cheap substitute for money by managements). Penny doesn't have a single friend who works because they have to, apparently.

Well I am not sure Penny showing her dissatisfaction with her job, really is relevant anymore. Because she only mentioned it in The Big Bear Preception. But since then, and especially this season. The show has done nothing to suggest she is still unhappy with her job. We saw her at work in 10x02, visiting Bernadette, and she seems relatively happy about her job. I agree she is in a restricted social circle. As most of her friends, close friends (Amy and Bernadette). Are highely respected, and accomplished in their choosen fields. I suggested maybe Penny should find some friends, who are not like A and B. And give her some perspective. Like to see some of her football girlfriends again, watching the football. Maybe Leonard could mingle with their SO's haha, like the Cornhusker ep in S3.

 Pharm Rep, gave her a sense of autonomy. But in the long term, I am not sure career wise, it is what Penny wants. I get most ppl just want to see her interact with the gang. But I Think from a character stand point, be nice if they show some development with her character their. I have no idea, if Penny decided to quit being a Pharm Rep. What she would do, i have no idea. Acting is clearly out of the question. TBH that was dead in Season 2, The Barbarian Sublimation. When she was typed cast, as a type. It should of been let go of then. And focused on finding an alternative. Instead of waiting till Season 7. And Season Ten and still have no clue. She showed potential with that play in Season 6, The Monster Isolation. But not sure they would make Penny pursue that. I hope they well, because that is her passion, performing and acting. She's good at that. Show pick that up. 

Edited by 3ku11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JE7 said:

THATS the gif I wanted!!! 

pennysexdungeon1007-01.gif

She is literally bouncing and look at that smile :icon_razz:

I think she is having a great time in this quick scene.  I hope we get some bts things from Johnny & Kaley on this!

pennysexdungeon1007-01.gif  Oh!  And this costume is reminiscent of the one KC wore at the Evening at Sardi's event earlier in 2016!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 12/24/2016 at 7:18 AM, thephantom said:

Penny just seems really dissatisfied with her life this season. This season, she mentions every other episode that Leonard "wore her down". 

She only mentioned once Leonard wore her down in the episode Where her and Amy went to Burts party. She also said in 10x01 Leonard makes her incredibly happy. So guess it just depends on how selective you want to be. I don't think Penny's dissatisfied. I think the writing is inconsistent when it comes to that. She seems satisfied. Then she's not etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 28/12/2016 at 4:54 PM, 3ku11 said:

She only mentioned once Leonard wore her down in the episode Where her and Amy went to Burts party. She also said in 10x01 Leonard makes her incredibly happy. So guess it just depends on how selective you want to be. I don't think Penny's dissatisfied. I think the writing is inconsistent when it comes to that. She seems satisfied. Then she's not etc. 

...but that inconsistency sounds a lot like real people. Good days, bad days and moods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Am I the only one wondering about Penny's date with Stuart? She was ready to have sex with him on their FIRST date but Sheldon C*** blocked that. Later Penny describes Stuart as a guy you would date if you "lost the dating game" and other references that suggests she wants nothing to do with him, yet she was ready to jump in the sack with him on the first date. I get how it was funny how he didn't know what "come in for a cup of coffee" meant but I still thing the writers didn't think this one through?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2017 at 6:12 PM, Erik1978 said:

Am I the only one wondering about Penny's date with Stuart? She was ready to have sex with him on their FIRST date but Sheldon C*** blocked that. Later Penny describes Stuart as a guy you would date if you "lost the dating game" and other references that suggests she wants nothing to do with him, yet she was ready to jump in the sack with him on the first date. I get how it was funny how he didn't know what "come in for a cup of coffee" meant but I still thing the writers didn't think this one through?

We could speculate about what's supposed to have caused Stuart's deterioration, but I nguess the writers just thought he'd be funnier as a loser. I don't think this is a change in Penny, just Stuart's different now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2017 at 5:12 AM, Erik1978 said:

Am I the only one wondering about Penny's date with Stuart? She was ready to have sex with him on their FIRST date but Sheldon C*** blocked that. Later Penny describes Stuart as a guy you would date if you "lost the dating game" and other references that suggests she wants nothing to do with him, yet she was ready to jump in the sack with him on the first date. I get how it was funny how he didn't know what "come in for a cup of coffee" meant but I still thing the writers didn't think this one through?

Tbf on their second date she went really close to sleeping with Stuart. With no Sheldon interpretation this time. But said Leonard's name haha. So who's to say on their first date, she wouldn't of said Leonard's name. I think the point of Penny dating Stuart was. She was using him as a substitute for Leonard, at the time. Why Stuart deteriorated over the series? I'm not sure. I agree tptb clearly thought seeing in the long run he wasent an important character. If he was going to be in a recurring role. He would be funnier that way.

Edited by 3ku11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.