6.15 The Spoiler Alert Segmentation (Feb. 7)

Your Episode Rating  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I am sure he meant it but it is still a fairly mild expletive these days, mild enough to be on TV.  We have reached a place where it is actually worse to use non-expletives that still retain their meaning to attack than the expletives.  Calling him a crazy bastard is funnier than it is vicious.  I can't read the writers' minds but being that it is a sitcom I wouldn't be surprised if that was what they were going for.

Fair enough. I think you are right. In sitcom world they would have use more words to make him vicious. It was about the harshest expression Leonard has ever used... it went right by me at viewing as it seemed contextually appropriate.

I might contend that S actually was lucky not to stabbed for that spoiler. :)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing is, that after rewatching the episode, I don't think Amy realized what she was doing relationship-wise.   She kept repeating "roomate" and how good she was at everything that Leonard did,

Sheldon thought her lips looked too slippery...

After two watches, I'm still busy laughing at Raj's plot. I thought he was HILARIOUS in this episode - especially his desperate expressions on the phone - and Kunal definitely did a great job if he's

Fair enough. I think you are right. In sitcom world they would have use more words to make him vicious. It was about the harshest expression Leonard has ever used... it went right by me at viewing as it seemed contextually appropriate.

I might contend that S actually was lucky not to stabbed for that spoiler. :)

Didn't he say he was near killing Sheldon in Antartica and meant it?  I'd say that is about the harshest thing you could say about another person.  Who decided that bastard should be an expletive anyway?

Didn't he say he was near killing Sheldon in Antartica and meant it? I'd say that is about the harshest thing you could say about another person. Who decided that bastard should be an expletive anyway?

Absolutely agree about bastard. Bastard is dead letter as insult IMHO. But in diverse cultures it still has teeth. Will get you stabbed here in wrong place.

Also I also liked the what might be the theatricality of the movements in the lobby/foyer. Lots of up down stage stuff that I now think reminded me of a play, or a play staged for television.

Eg penny crossing to Sheldon from Leonard, Amy's exit past Penny. We don't see so much movement usually do we?

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Also I also liked the what might be the theatricality of the movements in the lobby/foyer. Lots of up down stage stuff that I now think reminded me of a play, or a play staged for television.

Eg penny crossing to Sheldon from Leonard, Amy's exit past Penny. We don't see so much movement usually do we?

No, not as individual crosses to other characters. We usual get one person crossing as an entrance or exit. If it's multiple characters, moving, they're usually moving together (think the stairs).

• Like 1

Absolutely agree about bastard. Bastard is dead letter as insult IMHO. But in diverse cultures it still has teeth. Will get you stabbed here in wrong place.

Hard for me to say since I don't normally pay attention to that kind of thing but there was a lot of movement that did remind me of a stage.

I think there were wine glasses on the table. Maybe she hands him a drink as he comes in?

Each setting had two glasses in front of it. One clear, with purple liquid in it, (presumably wine) and one amber with a clear liquid (presumably water) in it. In all cases where Raj talks to women, there's a source of alcohol nearby. 

Edited by eirwinrommel

It's possible. The one shot where you can see her hair resembles Susi's hair, in some images of her.

I noticed that too.  The figure walking by the door sort of moved like a robot wearing a muumuu, though.

He certainly has, but for me it was the way it was said that made it sound more, serious I suppose.

That word is used so much in British television, and has been for decades so I guess I'm just used to it. I also thought Sheldon deserved it.

That word is used so much in British television, and has been for decades so I guess I'm just used to it. I also thought Sheldon deserved it.

It can be jarring, for some, to hear it openly here in the states. But, yeah, Sheldon deserved it, in my mind also.

• Like 1

Everything surrounding her becoming Sheldon's roommate, was in her mind, pushing their relationship further along. Her little tirade beginning with "What the hell Sheldon!" just put an exclamation point on it. IMO she has been reviewing in her mind her 4 year plan and as far as she is concerned Sheldon just isn't moving along as quickly as she had envisioned he would. Amy showed from that point forward during this episode just how frustrated she is becoming with Sheldon. The question is, was this just a one episode storyline for the writers or will they begin to show her frustration more and more perhaps as a season final?

In retrospect, this wasn't the first time Amy has voiced her frustration with Sheldon.  Off the top of my head, Amy has called out Sheldon numerous times already...Shiney Trinket, Weekend Vortex, Date night variable, fun with flags v2.  I think the writers used these episodes ( plus the hand holding, snuggle bunny one) as groundwork for Amy 4 year marriage gameplan. 

In retrospect, this wasn't the first time Amy has voiced her frustration with Sheldon.  Off the top of my head, Amy has called out Sheldon numerous times already...Shiney Trinket, Weekend Vortex, Date night variable, fun with flags v2.  I think the writers used these episodes ( plus the hand holding, snuggle bunny one) as groundwork for Amy 4 year marriage gameplan.

What's interesting about those examples is that after Amy spoke up, all of them moved SHELDON forward, just a little bit, in the relationship. Those examples were things a SO wouldn't (or shouldn't) do to someone they were in a relationship with, and Amy (with some help from Penny) got Sheldon to acknowledge it. This episode was different in that after voicing her frustration, there was no forward movement. Everything went back to the status quo (if you don't count her knowing he didn't want her to move in and he didn't voice that information). Probably indicating that while Sheldon doesn't mind the small steps forward, this giant leap was a bit much for him.

The setup for this episode had the characters suddenly become other forms of themselves that defied previous developments:

- In the previous episode Leonard all but asked Penny if he could buy
an action figure and she said sure if you think that's cool. Leonard
read her face and voice expression and immediately knew that the real
answer was no. Now we are to believe he makes the far bolder decision to
move in with her and suddenly he is blind to her discomfort and did not
really discuss it with her before hand.

- Penny has had no problem letting Leonard know when he is pushing
too hard. We saw her go off when he redid her history paper. Suddenly
she holds her fire because she does not want to hurt his feelings. Then
she becomes Penny again at the end of the episode an tells him he should
have asked her if she was ready.

- Maybe we can believe that Leonard has not read any Harry Potter
novels, despite his geek credibility, But he did not know that
Dumbaldore had died despite that being from an book from 2005 and a
movie later on. Did he selectively censor the internet for 7 years?

- Penny, the slow reader, who only goes to rom-com movies has read
all the Harry Potter books and/or seen all the films? This is the second
time she has made a Harry Potter deep inside reference (Harry's wand
vs. Thor's hammer). When did she become this Potterhead and how come
Leonard did not know this?

- Sheldon has been shown to be spoiler phobic. He got mad at Stuart
just for telling him a comic would be "mind blowing". So is this a one
way street, Sheldon can give spoilers but not receive them?

Well, at least we continue to see that Amy is still the only person
Sheldon respects enough to worry about hurting feelings. He will throw
Leonard and Penny under the bus at a moments notice to avoid having Amy
think ill of him.

The setup for this episode had the characters suddenly become other forms of themselves that defied previous developments:

- Sheldon has been shown to be spoiler phobic. He got mad at Stuart

just for telling him a comic would be "mind blowing". So is this a one

way street, Sheldon can give spoilers but not receive them?

Well, at least we continue to see that Amy is still the only person

Sheldon respects enough to worry about hurting feelings. He will throw

Leonard and Penny under the bus at a moments notice to avoid having Amy

think ill of him.

Yes I agree. I made a few of those points too. That's why I'm taking the conspiracy theorists approach and say this 'Spoiler Alert Segmentation' episode is infact a spoiler for things to come, in the not too distant future. The couples living together, by this exact time next season. Would they do that? I don't see why not... :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

I fully agree with you here. Leonard should have noticed her vocal and facial expressions and realized she had a problem with it. The only thing I can think of is that Leonard was so upset and focused on Sheldon, he missed it.

To be fair, Leonard, by the time Penny went off, had been made aware of Penny's feelings, by Amy and Sheldon. She no longer had to worry about hurting Leonard's feelings, that had already been done.

One or two years I could have bought. Seven years? That's a bit iffy.

Heheheheheh, my wife, who is a slow reader, was/is a complete Potterhead, as was my daughter(which is where my wife got it from). While I scorned it, as a children's book, until the sixth book and never really became a Potterhead.

As for the rest, yep, yep, yep.

Yes I agree. I made a few of those points too. That's why I'm taking the conspiracy theorists approach and say this 'Spoiler Alert Segmentation' episode is infact a spoiler for things to come, in the not too distant future. The couples living together, by this exact time next season. Would they do that? I don't see why not... :icon_mrgreen:

I missed you saying this, but I like it.

can anyone explain what is the joke here...

Sheldon: I suppose there's no choice but to face the crying, angry accusations, and the high pitch wails of despair.
Penny: Yeah and who knows how Amy will react..........And then Sheldon nods.. :unsure:  :unsure:

the nodding part was most confusing .... he says he has to face reactions from Amy...then Penny says who knows how Amy will react and he nods agreeingly .... does not make any sense...

Am I missing something here???
Edited by vasu