6.15 The Spoiler Alert Segmentation (Feb. 7)

Your Episode Rating  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

She is saying that Leonard is the one who will react badly by crying, giving angry accusations and high pitched wails of despair. ;-)

ahhh....so Sheldon was talking about Leonard not about Amy .... but why would he care about Penny's problems...   :unsure:  :unsure: 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing is, that after rewatching the episode, I don't think Amy realized what she was doing relationship-wise.   She kept repeating "roomate" and how good she was at everything that Leonard did,

Sheldon thought her lips looked too slippery...

After two watches, I'm still busy laughing at Raj's plot. I thought he was HILARIOUS in this episode - especially his desperate expressions on the phone - and Kunal definitely did a great job if he's

Sheldon was talking about Amy. Penny made the joke about Leonard. Sheldon either didn't get it or was agreeing.

I'm still confused...Sheldon clearly was nodding at the end means he understood what Penny said...

---  Sheldon was talking about Leonard...but Sheldon should not care about Penny's problems as she would be the one who would listen to Leonard crying....

---  Sheldon was talking about Amy ---- then when Penny says who knows how Amy will react... he should not nod because he just described her reactions...

none of these two are making much sense....

amy standing up to sheldon was great,

to save face he told it was penny problems

did not want leonard there.

penny showed mature did not blow up at

leonard four moving in, big growth movement.

saw maybe howards mom :icon_lol:

bernie/howard  sex jokes

• Like 1

Also I also liked the what might be the theatricality of the movements in the lobby/foyer. Lots of up down stage stuff that I now think reminded me of a play, or a play staged for television.

Eg penny crossing to Sheldon from Leonard, Amy's exit past Penny. We don't see so much movement usually do we?

I agree, I thought the placing and movements of the characters were unusual and interesting in that scene. With all of them sort of crossing over to each other to argue or confront them.

What's interesting about those examples is that after Amy spoke up, all of them moved SHELDON forward, just a little bit, in the relationship. Those examples were things a SO wouldn't (or shouldn't) do to someone they were in a relationship with, and Amy (with some help from Penny) got Sheldon to acknowledge it. This episode was different in that after voicing her frustration, there was no forward movement. Everything went back to the status quo (if you don't count her knowing he didn't want her to move in and he didn't voice that information). Probably indicating that while Sheldon doesn't mind the small steps forward, this giant leap was a bit much for him.

Yeah, Amy wasn't able to change Sheldon this time, but I believe this and the previous episode are meant to be precursors for an upcoming change.

I'm rewatching this episode, and my take on the scene where Leonard and Penny start discussing him moving in is that he senses her reluctance, and point blank asks her if she has a problem with it. In fact, he asks her several times.

1. Leonard "Is that a problem". Penny "No, not at all. It's great". Then she goes off about Harry and Ginny.

2. Leonard "Wow, it sounds like you don't want us to live together". Penny "No. No, no, no, I do. But its a really big step."

3. Leonard "Can you give me one reason why we shouldn't live together?". Penny "No, I got nothing".

So three times Leonard calls her out about sounding reluctant, and she could have elaborated but instead agrees for him to move in. He did pick up her tone, and tried to have a discussion with her about moving in. I'm not really sure what else he could do, especially since he was focused on getting away from Sheldon. Actually, why wouldn't he move in with his long-term girlfriend, at least temporarily? Given that Leonard is a nerd, and at least a little tone-deaf to nuance as nerds are supposed to be, I thought he did remarkably well in picking up on her sub textual cues, and did what he could - ask for clarification. It isn't his fault that Penny kept saying yes, and avoiding having a real discussion. 

can anyone explain what is the joke here...

Sheldon: I suppose there's no choice but to face the crying, angry accusations, and the high pitch wails of despair.
Penny: Yeah and who knows how Amy will react..........And then Sheldon nods.. :unsure:  :unsure:

the nodding part was most confusing .... he says he has to face reactions from Amy...then Penny says who knows how Amy will react and he nods agreeingly .... does not make any sense...

Am I missing something here???

First of all, it's a play on audience expectations--"the crying, angry accusations, and (especially) high-pitched wails of despair" are supposed to make you think that Sheldon is talking about Amy, so then when Penny says her line, implying that Leonard is the one Sheldon was saying will have the "high-pitched wails of despair", the turnaround is the joke.

And Sheldon's nodding is part of the presentation of the joke--that he was indeed talking about Leonard and that Penny's reply is also true.

I don't think that Sheldon is to be seen as never caring about anyone else's feelings.  While he is usually very self-focused and usually doesn't care about things that he deems to have no impact on himself, I don't think that it's a hard and fast rule.

At any rate, Sheldon was talking about Leonard's reaction and Sheldon himself would actually have to deal with it because if Leonard has to move back in with Sheldon, Sheldon is going to have to deal with Leonard's reaction.  And, of course, Sheldon is going to have to deal with Amy's reaction.

But this aspect of the story isn't what their conversation was about.  It was about the two of them realizing that the only way out of the situation was to tell Leonard and Amy the truth.  And everybody was going to have to deal with the consequences.

First of all, it's a play on audience expectations--"the crying, angry accusations, and (especially) high-pitched wails of despair" are supposed to make you think that Sheldon is talking about Amy, so then when Penny says her line, implying that Leonard is the one Sheldon was saying will have the "high-pitched wails of despair", the turnaround is the joke.

And Sheldon's nodding is part of the presentation of the joke--that he was indeed talking about Leonard and that Penny's reply is also true.

I don't think that Sheldon is to be seen as never caring about anyone else's feelings.  While he is usually very self-focused and usually doesn't care about things that he deems to have no impact on himself, I don't think that it's a hard and fast rule.

At any rate, Sheldon was talking about Leonard's reaction and Sheldon himself would actually have to deal with it because if Leonard has to move back in with Sheldon, Sheldon is going to have to deal with Leonard's reaction.  And, of course, Sheldon is going to have to deal with Amy's reaction.

But this aspect of the story isn't what their conversation was about.  It was about the two of them realizing that the only way out of the situation was to tell Leonard and Amy the truth.  And everybody was going to have to deal with the consequences.

Thanks for explaining :) ... 

I did not think that he was talking about Leonard because I thought Sheldon should care his problems more than  Penny's problems...

ironically it turns out that Penny and Amy were the ones doing all the angry accusations :p

So we are all working under the assumption that Leonard has only two places to live at Sheldon's or at Penny's for show's sake.....

How funny it would have been if Leonard had asked Amy if he could move in with her or if Amy had dragged Leonard with her saying come Leonard lets we two live together....then Penny and Sheldon both at the same time would be like "ummmmmmmmmmmmm"  :D

Edited by vasu

I'm rewatching this episode, and my take on the scene where Leonard and Penny start discussing him moving in is that he senses her reluctance, and point blank asks her if she has a problem with it. In fact, he asks her several times.

1. Leonard "Is that a problem". Penny "No, not at all. It's great". Then she goes off about Harry and Ginny.

2. Leonard "Wow, it sounds like you don't want us to live together". Penny "No. No, no, no, I do. But its a really big step."

3. Leonard "Can you give me one reason why we shouldn't live together?". Penny "No, I got nothing".

So three times Leonard calls her out about sounding reluctant, and she could have elaborated but instead agrees for him to move in. He did pick up her tone, and tried to have a discussion with her about moving in. I'm not really sure what else he could do, especially since he was focused on getting away from Sheldon. Actually, why wouldn't he move in with his long-term girlfriend, at least temporarily? Given that Leonard is a nerd, and at least a little tone-deaf to nuance as nerds are supposed to be, I thought he did remarkably well in picking up on her sub textual cues, and did what he could - ask for clarification. It isn't his fault that Penny kept saying yes, and avoiding having a real discussion. 

No matter how you slice it though the problem is he is moving in for the wrong reason and never made it clear it was temporary.  The driving force was Sheldon not romance. 

No matter how you slice it though the problem is he is moving in for the wrong reason and never made it clear it was temporary.  The driving force was Sheldon not romance. 

I agree. It was an impulsive decision on Leonard's part, following his quarrel with Sheldon, so he wasn't even really thinking of Penny's feelings at that time. Not a good backdrop for moving in with a partner. 

No offense, but I'm getting the feeling that ironically, you're more of a stickler for romance than many of us are. :p

• Like 1

Forgot to mention this previous, when Sheldon was mimicking Leonard i thought that was quite funny and it was done in the same way that Penny did it to leonard a few episodes ago

Yeah--and I love the things he was bringing up that he said Leonard was griping about--talking about his bowel movements over breakfast, throwing away Leonard's shirts, etc. :p

I agree. It was an impulsive decision on Leonard's part, following his quarrel with Sheldon, so he wasn't even really thinking of Penny's feelings at that time. Not a good backdrop for moving in with a partner. 

No offense, but I'm getting the feeling that ironically, you're more of a stickler for romance than many of us are. :p

No offense, but if you are just now getting that feeling you haven't been paying close attention.  :p

I just got through hiding 40 love notes all over the house for my wife to find tomorrow and probably for several days after Valentine's day.

I hold romance to a very high standard.

Basically , I thought this episode was a major disappointment because the dynamics among the characters were so frivolously written in a way which actually countered the gentle progress that has been going on through out this season.

Basically , I thought this episode was a major disappointment because the dynamics among the characters were so frivolously written in a way which actually countered the gentle progress that has been going on through out this season.

It didn't counter the progress. It was merely a pretty real bump along the way--just because you love someone doesn't mean that you should move in together, even if logic seems to support the idea. Logic isn't everything when it comes to relationships.

Peggy and Sheldon still love their SOs, they just didn't want to be forced into a situation neither if them was ready for.

It didn't counter the progress. It was merely a pretty real bump along the way--just because you love someone doesn't mean that you should move in together, even if logic seems to support the idea. Logic isn't everything when it comes to relationships.

Peggy and Sheldon still love their SOs, they just didn't want to be forced into a situation neither if them was ready for.

Yeah, but how ready does Penny have to be? It gets sold really well, and her inner monologue leaks out enough that we understand that she is struggling to rein in her panic but that she wants to make things work. All that is good ( and directly addresses the enigma / cypher issue some have noted here over the years)

It's just that its taking so long. P/L 2.0 is not a "re-imagined relationship". It is a "relationship interrupted then restarted". That Penny and Sheldon are so complementary and symmetrical in their responses (cerebral/emotional etc ) is fun to watch. The rub is that Sheldon starts from such a low base yet they are now look to be on par. They argue to the same conclusion. Both are not ready, but one of them should be.

I'm wishing that TPTB get confident enough with the show to let P/L run free and not just be the ying to S/A's yang. Im also wishing that they have the creative juice to write funny once they move past this phase. I hope they do.

The other rub is that commercial imperative might keep the rate of story progress slow to try to stay in this sweet spot they have at the moment. That would be painful, but they took risks before that have paid off. Maybe they can take some more.

(Colour me prolix)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

Yeah, but how ready does Penny have to be? It gets sold really well, and her inner monologue leaks out enough that we understand that she is struggling to rein in her panic but that she wants to make things work. All that is good ( and directly addresses the enigma / cypher issue some have noted here over the years)

It's just that its taking so long. P/L 2.0 is not a "re-imagined relationship". It is a "relationship interrupted then restarted". That Penny and Sheldon are so complementary and symmetrical in their responses (cerebral/emotional etc ) is fun to watch. The rub is that Sheldon starts from such a low base yet they are now look to be on par. They argue to the same conclusion. Both are not ready, but one of them should be.

I'm wishing that TPTB get confident enough with the show to let P/L run free and not just be the ying to S/A's yang. Im also wishing that they have the creative juice to write funny once they move past this phase. I hope they do.

The other rub is that commercial imperative might keep the rate of story progress slow to try to stay in this sweet spot they have at the moment. That would be painful, but they took risks before that have paid off. Maybe they can take some more.

(Colour me prolix)

While I can give Penny a pass on not being ready when it is sprung on her the fact she can't articulate why she isn't ready to move in together is unacceptable.  Even if she had just said that she wanted a chance to talk about it before making a big step it would have been something.  Their ship seems to have no rudder.

If you read my previous posts about this episode , you will find that I am putting most of the blame on Leonard for the things he did in this episode...atleast Amy's desperation was understandable and her reactions were clearly show........

So if you thought that I thought Penny and Sheldon should have let their so's move in .. you are wrong....

My point was that everything in this episode felt so forced and given the horrible ending it felt like the writers were just following a template for comedy instead of focusing on whether the character's would do things like this given their past...