The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Jim Parsons

What are the odds that they would shake up the taping schedule.  They are due to be off from Wednesday 2/19 through Tuesday 2/25.  There is a table read on Wednesday 2/26 and then taping Tuesday 3/4 with Jim's SNL appearance on Saturday 3/1.

The network and the studio had to know about this, I expect that they would have to "release him" to work on another network.  Also, it is my understanding that negotiating these appearances can take quite a while, so this didn't happen overnight.  There must be plan in place to accommodate Jims SNL appearance, (not that they need it) but this is great PR for TBBT.

I believe that SNL rehearses Tuesday through up to and including Saturday with Sunday and Monday being their weekend. 

P.S. Cracking up reading some of the Tweets about this.  One non-Jim fan was bitching that he could now possibly be a triple Emmy nominee come June: best actor comedy for TBBT, best supporting actor movie or miniseries for The Normal Heart and a best guest actor for SNL.

P.P.S. I call an Olympics Recap sketch making fun of Bob Costas' s eye issues.  I cast Jim as Johnny Weir, the Ice Skating commentator (he and Jim look a lot alike).  His clothes and style have been the talk of the Olympics.

• Like 7

I don't see any resemblance at all between Jim and Johnny Weir, nor how they dress.  They don't dress anything alike either.   But whatever. 

It would be amazing if Jim were nominated in all three areas.  I would be so happy!

Yes, the show had to release him and they have known enough in advance they have worked around it.  There are all kinds of possible ways they could work it so that he is still in the episode plenty and yet accommodate both schedules.  We could spend between now and March 4th coming up with ideas, but bottom line we need not worry.  It will all work out and he won't be missing an episode because of SNL. :girlwink:

What are the odds that they would shake up the taping schedule.  They are due to be off from Wednesday 2/19 through Tuesday 2/25.  There is a table read on Wednesday 2/26 and then taping Tuesday 3/4 with Jim's SNL appearance on Saturday 3/1.

The network and the studio had to know about this, I expect that they would have to "release him" to work on another network.  Also, it is my understanding that negotiating these appearances can take quite a while, so this didn't happen overnight.  There must be plan in place to accommodate Jims SNL appearance, (not that they need it) but this is great PR for TBBT.

I believe that SNL rehearses Tuesday through up to and including Saturday with Sunday and Monday being their weekend. 

P.S. Cracking up reading some of the Tweets about this.  One non-Jim fan was bitching that he could now possibly be a triple Emmy nominee come June: best actor comedy for TBBT, best supporting actor movie or miniseries for The Normal Heart and a best guest actor for SNL.

P.P.S. I call an Olympics Recap sketch making fun of Bob Costas' s eye issues.  I cast Jim as Johnny Weir, the Ice Skating commentator (he and Jim look a lot alike).  His clothes and style have been the talk of the Olympics.

:yes: I LOVE the idea of triple nominee!

First of all KUDOS to NBC --- TBBT has been such a pain in their side from a ratings stand point  that I thought they would never give the opportunity to the juggernaut of TBBT by giving them further promotion.  Jim is deserving and popular which will help deflect some of the negative press SNL was getting prior to the holidays. 

Since they have had several skits referencing TBBT, Jim and Mayim (as Blossom) it's only fitting that they finally bring in the "real deal"!!!  :good:

The Johnny Weir thing aside (IMO they look nothing at all alike - NOTHING)  the Olympic thing could be done with the Bob Costas idea but by then it will be old news. I'm sure they will choose something currently in the news. I'm interested in his monologue since he is not a joke teller so I wonder what will get written up for him.  He has also said he is not an improviser and with this cast I'm not sure if they stick to the scripted material as much as others.

Jim also gets along well with Alec Baldwin and he might bring him in as an unannounced guest. Remember Jim auditioned for the part of Kenneth on 30 Rock so I would love to see a "what if" skit but that's just one of my dreams. I'm just happy he'll get this opportunity.

As far as TBBT schedule another possibility to consider is that Jim might be able to film some of the skits while he is on hiatus as he will be the first show after the Olympics, there isn't an SNL taping during the week he is off.  SNL does have a few prerecorded skits/commercials that they air during the Live show so that might reduce his days on set.  However, with technology Jim has several options since he was able to accomplish both filming for TNH and TBBT earlier in the season.  :imsohappy:

• Like 4

I love this idea. :p They don't have to look a lot alike (Do either Fred Armisen or Jay Pharoah look like Obama?). With the right makeup, costuming, and Jim's acting, this could be hilarious.

Jim also gets along well with Alec Baldwin and he might bring him in as an unannounced guest. Remember Jim auditioned for the part of Kenneth on 30 Rock so I would love to see a "what if" skit but that's just one of my dreams. I'm just happy he'll get this opportunity.

Oooh I would love that! Imagine how fun it would be to see some kind if sketch where Jim is porttraying Alec's part and Alec is doing Sheldon!! I would die!! With them being all confident saying they play any part what so ever or maybe get in like a fake fight saying that the other ones character is sooo simple to portray and then see them trying to prove it by acually switching and doing it and totaly screw it up. It would be hysterical. Edited by Jaime

I'm so glad this is true--I saw it last night in the wee hours on Facebook, but on that unofficial JP page, so I didn't know what to make of it--and I couldn't open either this site or the fanforum site to confirm it.

I can't wait to see it!  I was wondering about one thing--someone above said that he doesn't improvise--but isn't that just with TBBT?  I mean, with all his years of doing theater, I'm sure he must have done improv from time to time.  I know he doesn't improv lines on BBT because of the nature of the writing, but I don't know that that would be true about everything else.

I do hope they have some good skits and good writing for him because he has so much talent with his theater background and his comedic timing.  I'm not worried about the timing of the taping of BBT and the SNL performance.  I'm sure they've got that all figured out. :)

Also, just because Visions will start filming soon doesn't mean that Jim will be onset from day one.  His dates for working on that film will depend on his role (which we don't yet know) and the order in which they are filming, etc., so there can be a lot of leeway in that project.  I'm sure he's got that all figured out, too, just like he did with Zach Braff's project.

Jimmy's a busy boy! :biggrin:

I'm really glad that his SNL gig is coming up so soon.  I'd hate to hear this news and find out that it's months down the line.

February is turning into a great JP month! :biggrin:

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

I can't wait to see it! I was wondering about one thing--someone above said that he doesn't improvise--but isn't that just with TBBT? I mean, with all his years of doing theater, I'm sure he must have done improv from time to time. I know he doesn't improv lines on BBT because of the nature of the writing, but I don't know that that would be true about everything else.

Since he has been studied acting at prof school he certainly knows how to improv. I did actingschool myself for 5 years and 80 % of the time is improv! But that ofcourse doesn't mean that is what you prefers to do.

Actors do like to hide behind a character curtain and even if during improv you're still in character some actors find it hard to improv cause the words are coming from you which sort of takes the curtain off.

But thats very independent from actor to actor.

I'm not really sure how its with Jim.. I always thought of him as a very good improviser based on interviews where he usually gives quick and clever responds.. but ofcourse its not the same thing as on stage where I do get the feeling he preferes a script.

Edited by Jaime
  • Like 1

I know vomar cracked up also reading the tweets about non Jim fans complaining about Jim hosting SNL, and here a few posts from SNL fans about people being upset about Jim hosting SNL the first being from livefromyhouse

I don’t understand why people are upset about Parsons on SNL.  First, an actor is not his character or show, so even if you hate TBBT, Parsons is more than that.  Second, part of the complaint against Parsons is that people watch his show instead of SNL. This might be a great way to introduce people who like comedy TV like TBBT to a different kind of comedy. Isn’t that what we want?  But if people have something against him other than his role as Sheldon, please let me know. 

PS. Also, this is a great move by NBC to capitalize on the success of a CBS star.

And a reply from that post from classicajays

This is definitely all true and I agree, especially with your last point.  Let us look at it from SNL/NBC’s point of view.  For the next two weeks, the NBC late night division is going to get a ton of press with Jimmy Fallon taking over The Tonight Show and the next week with Seth Meyers taking over Late Night (the same week that SNL returns).  A lot of more viewers will be watching.  Like it or not, Jim Parsons is a two-time Emmy winner and is currently on the #1 sitcom on television (and was the #1 syndicated show on television).  While I am no fan of TBBT, but with everything going on with NBC’s late night shift, bringing in someone that is on a well-known sitcom is a big deal and as you said, is a good way to capitalize on the success of a star on CBS.

And one last point I want to make. Whenever someone you may not like hosts the show, please make sure to not write it off as being bad before one sketch or pitch meeting has even had the chance to happen.  You can never know how a show will turn out, especially if they never hosted before.  Also, it’s unfair to not the host but the cast and writers too who put in work all week long to put on the best show possible. So never judge by the name or what you previously know of them because you could never know how it will all turn out. Watch with an open mind.

I bet they do some TBBT spoofing.

I hope so as well since the moment one of the new cast members Kyle Mooney joined the cast I kept picturing him as Leonard in a spoof sketch (even though Kyle may or may not look like Johnny but with the right makeup and costuming for Kyle it could be hilarious not sure about who on the SNL cast will play Penny, Raj, Howard, Amy, and Bernadette (if a TBBT spoof sketch were to be in Jim's SNL episode that is).

And I also count on seeing a Alec Baldwin cameo as well when Jim hosts SNL in a few weeks.

Edited by JoeSal90

Sorry for the random post, but JoeSal, I saw on your profile you're from Andrews, Texas. Just wanted to say I'm from Seminole! Small world. :p

• Like 1

I don't know where the idea came from for a cameo by Alec Baldwin, but of all of Jim's acting friends and acquaintances (with or without SNL connections) Baldwin is a pretty random choice.  There may be some reason for it, I guess, but I'd rather see just about anyone else.

Anyway, I think JP on SNL is going to be good for everyone--good for TBBT and for Jim and for SNL.  He's clever and charming and quick on his feet and funny and not afraid to be bawdy and self-deprecating.  I think everyone who works with him seems to love him, so I think it will be great. :)

• Like 2

Hi there... I have one question, that someone may have an answer for. I know about Jim's life almost nothing, but besides Mayim, who else are his close friends? 

Mayim he is very close to and both acknowledge that and do get together outside of the set.  Simon he also is very close to and they too get together outside of the set.  He is also close to Melissa, although I think she and Mayim are even closer friends.  But those are the main cast friends.   Outside of the cast I think he and Ryan Murphy developed a friendship ever since he was cast on TNH.  He mentioned him on Dan Patrick.  Not sure if they "hang out" much, but I do think they keep in touch.

• Like 1

Mayim he is very close to and both acknowledge that and do get together outside of the set.  Simon he also is very close to and they too get together outside of the set.  He is also close to Melissa, although I think she and Mayim are even closer friends.  But those are the main cast friends.   Outside of the cast I think he and Ryan Murphy developed a friendship ever since he was cast on TNH.  He mentioned him on Dan Patrick.  Not sure if they "hang out" much, but I do think they keep in touch.

I'm grateful, Mel :girlsmile:

I was just wondering guys what kind of roles do you want to see Jim doing in the near future in film or TV?

I wanna see him as a villian/psyco/murderer in some kind of really dark mystery terror movie.. playing the guy that's seems all normal but keeps people locked inside the basement where he goes down when its dark....

I would love to have him on an episode of Criminal minds! Playing some kind of psychodic murderer. Maybe schizophrenic..

Edited by Jaime
  • Like 5

I wanna see him as a villian/psyco/murderer in some kind of really dark mystery terror movie.. playing the guy that's seems all normal but keeps people locked inside the basement where he goes down when its dark....

I would love to have him on an episode of Criminal minds! Playing some kind of psykodic murderer. Would be awesome

Same, I like actors play a role completely different then they did.

Like Elijah Wood did.

From Frodo in LotR to a killer in Sin City.

• Like 1

Haha sorry pearl, someday I want to see him in a romantic comedy aswell.. but not right now, while he is still Sheldon.. I only want to see him be romantic with Mayim at the moment :p so glad that Jim's first onscreen kiss was with her! Hihi

• Like 4

What really?

Well yes, he's first initiated one (JIK) atleast.. I can't recall him kiss anyone in any movie or tvserie before :/ not 100 % sure though Edited by Jaime

My dream is for him to play a teacher who came from an ivy league who will volunteer to teach in a very hostile school in one of the ghetto areas for reasons unknown until the ending of the film. Like have kids who don't seem they'll amount to something in the future under his tutelage. Like a hardcore, gritty version of Dead Poet's Society or History Boys. Gentle, well-bred teacher amongst students who know nothing but violence. Then a surprise reason towards the end why he chose to teach there.

• Like 4

I'm not going to lie I just want to see Jim do an onscreen sex scene. I don't think it's something he would be new to, I have a feeling he's probably done one on stage, I only say because he mentioned being nude on stage once, although I may have misinterpreted that!

Nicole, do you have the article/interview/video where he said he's done a nude scene? I did not know this. :O

Edited by Maddie21

Its in the video from the Paley centre. It was in a play a long time ago from what I can gather, I'm not sure which part it's in though

m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6-orkCEyjdrVTHhiepWDTaKmqCqebhpQ

^its the beginning of part 3 :)

• Like 1

Oooh thank you, I knew I had heard it somewhere but couldn't remember where!! Cheers