Jim Parsons

Tripper

I just mentioned How To Succeed as a possibility for a live television musical which might be appropriate for Jim, just like the live version of Peter Pan that NBC is airing tonight.  As this musical is NBC's second foray into this type of live musical television broadcast, it must indicate that their first outing (SOUND OF MUSIC) was successful.  Also, as Jim now has a working relationship with NBC via the ELF production, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to imagine that they might ask him to star in a live TV broadcast of a Broadway musical next year.  After all, we know that Jim excels at live theater, so we know he would be outstanding at such an endeavor.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phantagrae

• rachelshamyfan

• vonmar

• stardustmelody

I just mentioned How To Succeed as a possibility for a live television musical which might be appropriate for Jim, just like the live version of Peter Pan that NBC is airing tonight.  As this musical is NBC's second foray into this type of live musical television broadcast, it must indicate that their first outing (SOUND OF MUSIC) was successful.  Also, as Jim now has a working relationship with NBC via the ELF production, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to imagine that they might ask him to star in a live TV broadcast of a Broadway musical next year.  After all, we know that Jim excels at live theater, so we know he would be outstanding at such an endeavor.

He may have a working relationship with NBC, but his contract with CBS controls. I really can't see that happening unless NBC decides to run it on a night other than a night TBBT is on. As for successful, we'll have to wait until this one runs. There were a lot of people involved with various levels of theatre who were interested to see how much of a train wreck it was going to be with a relative theatre novice, Carrie Underwood, in the lead role. While it wasn't a train wreck, it didn't do very well critically and Underwood's acting was pretty much panned (see what I did there). The problem this year may be that a lot of theatre people are indifferent, which is worse in a way, as they won't even bother to tune in.

He may have a working relationship with NBC, but his contract with CBS controls. I really can't see that happening unless NBC decides to run it on a night other than a night TBBT is on. As for successful, we'll have to wait until this one runs. There were a lot of people involved with various levels of theatre who were interested to see how much of a train wreck it was going to be with a relative theatre novice, Carrie Underwood, in the lead role. While it wasn't a train wreck, it didn't do very well critically and Underwood's acting was pretty much panned (see what I did there). The problem this year may be that a lot of theatre people are indifferent, which is worse in a way, as they won't even bother to tune in.

Its a shame about SoM. People were expecting a re-do of the movie, but a stage version is quite a different animal. That being said, not sure how musically inclined/adept Jim is....

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Its a shame about SoM. People were expecting a re-do of the movie, but a stage version is quite a different animal.

It always is. The closest musical to movie, at least for me, was The Music Man. They even used stage style blackouts and cross fades, making it look as if the scenes were on different parts of a stage.

That being said, not sure how musically inclined/adept Jim is....

I seem to remember Jim being quite musical. But, being musically adept and being able to sing well enough to carry a major part in a well known musical are two different things. While I think Jim's acting is subtle and superb, if Jay Leno's last night is any indication, I don't think Jim sings well enough to pull it off. And in musicals, vocal ability usually trumps acting.

Its a shame about SoM. People were expecting a re-do of the movie, but a stage version is quite a different animal. That being said, not sure how musically inclined/adept Jim is....

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

I used to play in the pit for our local Civic Light Opera, back home in ABQ, and we did SoM at one point.  I think our production was fine (as I remember it).  No, it wasn't the movie, but I think it was somewhat better than the special.

I think the problem with the NBC's SoM is that they were looking for a name to star in it, and looking for a singer.  I think they could have cast the part of Maria better and had better success with it.

I don't know how this Peter Pan is going to be.  The commercials I've seen for it haven't gotten me excited, but I'm not really into the Peter Pan story, so maybe that's it.

As for Jim's singing, he is musically adept, in terms of playing the piano for many years, and he also has a way of thinking of the rhythm of a scene as being somewhat "musical", and he can actually sing.  I think he sees himself as something of a comic singer, not like a romantic lead kind of singer, but I think he has the talent to pull of his Elf role.

I don't know that I'd try to cast him as the lead in something like Oklahoma, or whatever, for instance, but I think he could pull off certain kinds of musical roles.

ETA: Speaking of Oklahoma, the kind of role I could see him in would be the guy who's in love with Ado Annie.  There's singing, but it's kind of comic singing.  Of course, the role involves some pretty fancy dancing, so I don't know that Jim could do that. LOL!

I don't know that Jim would want to do a lead role in a Broadway style musical because it does involve heavy singing, but I think he would do well in certain kinds of supporting roles.

I think with a Broadway type of musical you really need a very good actor who can really sing.  I think that's why Julie Andrews and Shirley Jones were so good in their respective roles.  They can both act and sing.

I don't think there are as many TV/Movie "names" out there who can do both.  You'll find them in theater, but TV/Movie audiences won't necessarily recognize them, so they're not big name draws for the ratings or box office.

I'm sure there are lots of actresses in the Broadway musical scene who could act and sing circles around someone like Carrie Underwood, but they wouldn't have the name recognition factor.

Edited by phantagrae

Another BTS clip (this one with Jim in it) added to Jim's Interview post.

Thanks for this.  It's fascinating to see him in that process, but I wonder how he feels about having that woman kind of disect every line of his performance (well, the lines that we see in this clip.)

Anyway, I love how he can change it up so quickly and easily and can integrate what she suggests.  And he seems so focused and intense, in a way (his eyes!)

And somehow I love the way he's wiping spit from his mouth! :p

And his arms...!

Thanks for this.  It's fascinating to see him in that process, but I wonder how he feels about having that woman kind of disect every line of his performance (well, the lines that we see in this clip.)

Anyway, I love how he can change it up so quickly and easily and can integrate what she suggests.  And he seems so focused and intense, in a way (his eyes!)

And somehow I love the way he's wiping spit from his mouth! :p

And his arms...!

That woman was the director in this case and that is very typical in this industry.  He probably had a similar experience for Home.  They get used to it and it was very true to the business.   That is what happens with voice over work.

That woman was the director in this case and that is very typical in this industry.  He probably had a similar experience for Home.  They get used to it and it was very true to the business.   That is what happens with voice over work.

Better her than me...there's no way I could ever direct Jim.  I'd be too in awe of him.  

"That was great!"

"...I didn't even say my line yet."

"Oh..well...it was still great!"    :girlsigh:   :girlinlove:

Better her than me...there's no way I could ever direct Jim.  I'd be too in awe of him.  

"That was great!"

Are you sure about that?   He takes direction very well:spiteful:

Why do I turn into Howard Wolowitz in this thread?? Need help. :banghead:

Edited by sheldorslady

Another BTS clip (this one with Jim in it) added to Jim's Interview post.

Ever the optometrist I tried again on this.  Still could not get the initial interview to play, but what do you know, the BTS one with Jim did.  Loved how he is so focused on her directions, that little nose wrinkle and his body movements well .........................................

Also when the video finished one of he screen savers that came up was of the interview and Hey Presto I could see it.  He is soooo expressive with his hands and such a fidget - I love it.

I assume that I can see these now as both are accessible on You Tube, but thanks Star - I don't feel so out in the cold now. :)

"That was great!"

When I first read this, I thought it was something on the BTS video and that I had missed it, viewed the video again and the suddenly realised - duh. :icon_rolleyes:   But still had to double check the video a couple of times just to make sure though. :wink:

I would love to see him in Aresnic and old Lace playing the Cary Grant part.

The Philadelphia story playing the Jimmy Stewart part.

Arsenic and old lace! I LOVE this movie.. I often watched it with my grandmother when I was a baby and we're laughing so hard! 

I would see very well jim playing that role too  :)

Jim's Today Show interview will air on Tuesday December 16th 

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2014/12/05/charli-xcx-perform-nbcs-today-show/

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm glad it's scheduled for the 7-9 hours, rather than their later slots.  Normally, I'm supposed to leave for work by 8:15, but I don't care if I'm late, as long as I get to see Jim. :p

YES!  I dashed home for lunch today and grabbed my iPad and found that sweet surprise! :)

He's so adorable.

Now, if only that "brielle" girl would grow the %@#$@# up.  I know she's super excited that she got a pic with Jim--who wouldn't be?--but now she has to pester him and everyone else on IG to try to get him to go look at the picture (that he was already in).

She's one of the one's who is always spamming him over one thing or another.  Ugh.

Anyway, he's such a little smarta$$ in his pic with the naked boobies. :p

He relented, he liked her photo just now. 

She was majorly annoying; he must be in a VERY good mood.  I refuse to do that.

I saw the girl that night at the signing. If I knew she was gonna act like that on insta after I'd taken her phone right there on the spot and thrown it to the ground.

Major annoying. Hope she's proud of herself now. She pushed Jim to the limit where he had to like her picture just to shut her up. I saw others giving her the suggestion to go spam Jim's friends on insta just so he would notice her. Its mad.

Edited by Jamie