Jim Parsons

Tripper

From Indiewire

‘A Kid Like Jake’ Review: Silas Howard Directs a Simple but Effective Drama About Raising a Non-Binary Child — Sundance 2018

Claire Danes and Jim Parsons star in a sensitive and nuanced portrait of raising a non-binary kid in a black-and-white world.

<full review in the link>

• Like 3

From The Houston Chronicle

Jim Parsons makes the move to the big screen

TV's king of comedy is showing his serious side at the Sundance Film Festival. Houston native Jim Parsons, the star of the CBS hit "The Big Bang Theory" and TV's highest paid actor, has chosen a transgender family drama with an all-star cast as his first starring role in a film.

Parsons joined Claire Danes, Octavia Spencer, and other cast members at the world premiere of "A Kid Like Jake" at the Sundance Film Festival. Based on a celebrated Broadway play, the story centers around a married couple (Parsons and Danes) trying to find the right kindergarten for their precocious 4-year-old son who prefers to dress up as a Disney princess instead of G.I. Joe.

<full article in the link>

920x920.jpg

• Like 4

From The Hollywood Reporter

Jim Parsons Joins Zac Efron in Ted Bundy Movie 

Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons has joined Zac Efron in Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile,the drama centering on serial killer Ted Bundy.

The movie is currently shooting in Covington, Kentucky, with Joe Berlinger (Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory) is in the director's seat.

Already on the call sheet are John Malkovich, Lily Collins, Jeffrey Donovan and Heathers stars Grace Victoria Cox.

Vile is telling the story of the infamous serial killer, focusing on how a man's routine traffic stop spirals out of control when he's brought up on criminal charges, a process that reveals his vast crimes. Michael Werwie wrote the script.

Parson will portray Larry Simpson, the lead prosecutor of the 1979 Miami trial that finally convicted Bundy.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Jim Parsons Joins Zac Efron in Ted Bundy Movie 

Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons has joined Zac Efron in Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile,the drama centering on serial killer Ted Bundy.

The movie is currently shooting in Covington, Kentucky, with Joe Berlinger (Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory) is in the director's seat.

Already on the call sheet are John Malkovich, Lily Collins, Jeffrey Donovan and Heathers stars Grace Victoria Cox.

Vile is telling the story of the infamous serial killer, focusing on how a man's routine traffic stop spirals out of control when he's brought up on criminal charges, a process that reveals his vast crimes. Michael Werwie wrote the script.

Parson will portray Larry Simpson, the lead prosecutor of the 1979 Miami trial that finally convicted Bundy.

The article said the film is already in the works, so I guess Jim will squeeze it during the one-week hiatus(es) in the show, his work ethic is really impressive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mirs1 said:

The article said the film is already in the works, so I guess Jim will squeeze it during the one-week hiatus(es) in the show, his work ethic is really impressive!

I'm not quite sure how he is juggling it all in.  TBBT, a week at Sundance, now this movie which, like you said he will probably shoot on hiatus weeks and more TBBT and starting to memorize the lines for The Boys in the Band which starts previews in 3 months.

I think he thrives on work, has a strong team behind him and knows that he needs to strike while the iron is hot. All of the connections he is making are so important. So, more power to him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Jim Parsons to Star in 'The Legend of Georgia McBride' for Fox 2000, New Regency

Fox 2000 and New Regency are partnering on a feature adaptation of stage play The Legend of Georgia McBride, which will star Jim Parsons.

The Matthew Lopez-penned play, which enjoyed a run at the Geffen Playhouse, follows Casey, an Elvis impersonator in a run-down, small town Florida bar who is broke and has a baby on the way. When the bar owner brings in a B-level drag show to replace his act, Casey finds that he has a lot to learn about show business and himself. 

Parsons will play Miss Tracy Mills, a veteran drag queen who coaches Casey in the art of performing, helping him transform from a washed-up Elvis impersonator to a show-stopping drag queen. Lopez will adapt his play for the screen.

Parsons will also produce the project, along with Todd Spiewak via their That’s Wonderful Productions banner. That’s Wonderful’s Eric Norsoph will exec produce and oversee the project for the company. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vonmar said:

Jim Parsons to Star in 'The Legend of Georgia McBride' for Fox 2000, New Regency

Fox 2000 and New Regency are partnering on a feature adaptation of stage play The Legend of Georgia McBride, which will star Jim Parsons.

The Matthew Lopez-penned play, which enjoyed a run at the Geffen Playhouse, follows Casey, an Elvis impersonator in a run-down, small town Florida bar who is broke and has a baby on the way. When the bar owner brings in a B-level drag show to replace his act, Casey finds that he has a lot to learn about show business and himself. 

Parsons will play Miss Tracy Mills, a veteran drag queen who coaches Casey in the art of performing, helping him transform from a washed-up Elvis impersonator to a show-stopping drag queen. Lopez will adapt his play for the screen.

Parsons will also produce the project, along with Todd Spiewak via their That’s Wonderful Productions banner. That’s Wonderful’s Eric Norsoph will exec produce and oversee the project for the company. 

Where does he find the time?

7 minutes ago, kbp said:

Where does he find the time?

Most of these projects are pretty far out.  It took 4 years to bring "A Kid Like Jake" to actual filming status. 

I think a lot of these projects that Jim is lining up are for post-BBT.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Endeed. But that means we'll have at least a couple of years' full quota of Jimness lol

I have a question a bit offtopic. How is exacly the calendar for film festivals? Asking this because, did they only had a chance to show A kid like Jake at Sundance only? For festivals overseas, they need to be picked up, or they have to go over there, take San Sebastian, for example... or that is once the movie has a wide release? Any ideas? 

On 2/13/2018 at 6:17 AM, Andy_90's_generation said:

Endeed. But that means we'll have at least a couple of years' full quota of Jimness lol

I have a question a bit offtopic. How is exacly the calendar for film festivals? Asking this because, did they only had a chance to show A kid like Jake at Sundance only? For festivals overseas, they need to be picked up, or they have to go over there, take San Sebastian, for example... or that is once the movie has a wide release? Any ideas? 

There are a ton of film festivals during a calendar year.  Sundance is one of the first each year and it is considered very important to be selected to participate.

For an indie film like "A Kid Like Jake" you do film festivals to get distributors.  IFC picked up the movie for North American distribution after Sundance and Bankside Films already had picked up the film for European distribution. 

Participating in these festivals costs a lot of money for the production companies who are working on very tight budgets. Once they get a distributor they usually don't participate in many more.  They focus more on premiering the movie and the costs associated with those events.

But who knows, if they got an "invitation they can't refuse" they might take the show back on the road.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

thank you Vonmar, always so ready and helpful :)

Ah! i get it. Didn't know it costs a lot of money, I foolishly thought the more the better, for the possible good critics and/or awards, and that would bring the big distributors... But I understand how it can be such an uphill task for indies. And I didn't know the movie already has an european distributor, that's great! Now a Latinamerican distributor please! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andy_90's_generation said:

thank you Vonmar, always so ready and helpful :)

Ah! i get it. Didn't know it costs a lot of money, I foolishly thought the more the better, for the possible good critics and/or awards, and that would bring the big distributors... But I understand how it can be such an uphill task for indies. And I didn't know the movie already has an european distributor, that's great! Now a Latinamerican distributor please! 

The indie film industry is tricky. These are passion projects.  In an interview at Sundance Jim said that when they were in pre-production last spring and everyone was working for free while they were seeking financing for the film, then suddenly all of the pieces fell together and they were financed and they started shooting 72 hours after everything came together.

• Like 4

From Time Out New York

Meet the all-star, all-gay cast of Broadway's upcoming revival of The Boys in the Band

Here’s our guide to the cast list of what promises to be one hell of a party.

Jim Parsons as Michael
The role: The host of the party and the play’s central figure, a self-loathing, campy alcoholic who spreads misery to his company
Quotable line: “Who was it that always used to say, ‘You show me a happy homosexual and I’ll show you a gay corpse’?”
The match: The four-time Emmy winner and Big Bang Theory vet can lay on the charm, which should help audiences connect with his thorny character.

• Like 8