Mayim Bialik

Tripper

I have nothing against Frozen but I wasn't as into it as a lot of other people were. My love for Disney remains mostly in the Pixar classics region :p. Like a few people have said though, it does seem like she just wants to have a go. I have no issue with her opinions, I'm often told I act like some old lady complaining about pop culture to my family and friends...which is probably considered weirder for a 19 year old lol. People are allowed to feel what they want. But if I were relatively well known I wouldn't write a public article about it and stir things up for no productive reason. In an ideal world, people would just read her opinion and think "whatever" and move on, because it really won't change anything. But this is the human race - we have the tendency to take things personally. Plus who likes people we respect bashing our favourite stuff? I would have tried to take that into consideration before sharing those opinions with the world, at least. I think all they needed was a little tone change and it would have gone much more smoothly.

We all have our moments, even if we earn a lot of money as some people have been saying, so I'm not appalled or shocked or upset by her. I just think "oh well" haha

• Like 3

I don't really see how her "future prospects" could be damaged by some pop culture opinions she wrote on her blog. I think you're blowing this a little out of proportion. Also, the woman already has a doctorate and a bunch of acting noms. None of that came from the goodwill of her fans. She'll be fine.

Sorry, but just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. (I can't see atoms, but I know they exist.) An actor's popularity can turn on the head of a pin if the wrong thing happens. I've seen it happen too many times. If she gets a reputation as an opinionated crank, producers could be reluctant to hire her, as it would reflect negatively on their production (it's happened). Is she there yet? No, of course not, but IMHO she'd better learn to reel it in and play nice before she does start doing damage to her reputation. There are ways to express one's opinions without coming across as a cranky jerk.

• Like 3

The more and more I think about this....(and yes, I am bothered by it because she is somebody who I have always admired).... I feel like her "Frozen" rant was just a mask to cover up her rebuttle to the backlash she received from the Ariana article.

Backlash that was well deserved. If this was the case, then it would lower my opinion of her somewhat, because it means she decided to double down rather than admit (without apologizing for her overall views) she went overboard in her rant.

My problem with that post is not the general idea. At all. She hated Frozen, so what? I don't care. I've seen it a few times (that's what you get when your nephew becomes obsessed with Disney movies) and I liked it, but it's definitely overrated in my eyes. Whatever. My main problem is the whole second half of that post - the reasons why she didn't like it. If I didn't know what movie she's talking about, I would never guess it's a freaking Disney movie. All that movie is supposed to tell the kids is that the good guy always wins and that the princess always ends up happy... juts like in any other Disney movie. So to talk about feminism and male bashing and Idk what else just seems ridiculous. Another WTF moment for me was that bit that she was basically worried her sons could like it... Just what the hell.

She better give us some hilarious post next time or I might have a meltdown.

• Like 5

I do not mean to be offensive to anyone on here.  I speak these words to myself as well.   Mayim is HUMAN.  She has good days and bad days just like the rest of us.   She will have opinions that we love, and some that are not popular, but she is entitled to them.   The tricky bit with fandom is we tend to put the person up on a pedestal, and we 'oooh' and 'awww' when they are saying things we like to hear, and showing us pictures of the amazing life they are living, but once they say or do something that we don't agree with or doesn't jive with the 'feels' they have been giving us, we can tend to knock them off of that pedestal.   I'm just reminding myself and my fellow fans, that she's human.  Far from perfect, just like the rest of us.    And yes, you are all entitled to your opinions of her. :yes:

Just playing devil's advocate.  :ninja:

• Like 4

I do not mean to be offensive to anyone on here.  I speak these words to myself as well.   Mayim is HUMAN.  She has good days and bad days just like the rest of us.   She will have opinions that we love, and some that are not popular, but she is entitled to them.   The tricky bit with fandom is we tend to put the person up on a pedestal, and we 'oooh' and 'awww' when they are saying things we like to hear, and showing us pictures of the amazing life they are living, but once they say or do something that we don't agree with or doesn't jive with the 'feels' they have been giving us, we can tend to knock them off of that pedestal.   I'm just reminding myself and my fellow fans, that she's human.  Far from perfect, just like the rest of us.    And yes, you are all entitled to your opinions of her. :yes:

Well said and very true.
  • Like 1

Gosh, she's human? Thanks for the insight! And no one is saying she's not entitled to her own opinion, and personally, I'm far past the time when I'd "put someone up on a pedestal," thank you very much. What many of us are saying is that, as a celebrity and a public figure, she's... well, frankly, she's an idiot for being nasty and offensive like she's been in her recent blog posts. Like it or not, celebrities just don't have the luxury of being blunt and offensive in public, at least not if they don't want to commit career suicide, especially in this age of the Internet and 24/7 information overload. Some celebrities can get away with it, usually if they're Hollywood icons (or Don Rickles), but most can't. You have every right to excuse her behavior as "just being human," but I'm sorry, I can't and I won't, because I do hold public figures to a higher standard of behavior. More's the pity that fewer and fewer public figures these days are able to live up to them.

I usually don't read her posts tbh but I read that one. I don't think it's about criticizing a woman for being different. Of course women have the right to dress in whatever way they want and not be judged for that. But the business of entertainment is a hard place and sometimes some women do decide to sell their image rather than their talent. And it does create bad or even dangerous role models. How many girls starve to death in order to be like x or z?? Because sex appeal is all that matters right?? And how many girls decide to have a plastic surgery -which I am not against in general- but for all the wrong reasons. That does happen with men also but for some reason females are expected to be sexy and beautiful way more than men do. And most of the times they are required to show much more skin. Because that's how the industry works most of the times wearing almost nothing is not just an act of who you are etc but do what you're expected to do or an easy way to the top. I don't even know that girl she is talking about and probably she shouldn't have referred to her personally but I think she was the reason to say something she thinks is wrong in the industry about women. As for her photo isn't she younger than that girl in that? I mean back then maybe she didn't have the maturity to not do that shooting and no one advised her against it that doesn't mean she cannot have a different opinion now. About the show I don't really see the problem. For example a lawyer may defend a thief. That doesn't mean he isn't against stealing but everybody deserves defence and he is doing his job. That's it. Same with Mayim. She cannot help if Kayle's sexuality is being the main focus at times. She is doing her job that's it.

As I said before one just cannot be selectively disturbed/outrages by this kind of stuff. Either you are offended or you are not. Thats it.  BBT is a show wher Miss Cuoco's sex appeal is a one of the selling point. Miss Bialik works for that show and promotes it also.

And she chose to work in the show , no one forced her to work. So it is highly hypocritical of her when she essentially reaps benefits from the show where her co-star is objectified , while slamming others for doing the same.

Edited by ATM

I just read mayims post abt frozen. Idk abt her reasons but i just didnt like the movie. I saw it w my youngest, omg, i was.done after the second song. TOO MUCH SINGING. And the whole elsa powers thing and never seeimg her sister. Anna falls in love after 1 min of seeing that guy. I really didn't care for the characters or the storyline. Ill admit let it go is catchy but thats the only thing i liked from the movie.

The funny thing is, I agree with both articles. But the way they were written were very off-putting. I didn't even know who Ariana Grande was (yes, I'm a 25 year old that has no idea who's popular in music, except Taylor Swift). The fact that she singled Ariana out for her billboard, which almost duplicated a picture Mayim took as a young adult, was not called for. That's the only thing that really made it uncomfortable to me. Then, the media sh*t storm that followed was embarrassing, calling Mayim jealous and such. It made me feel bad for her because I don't believe for a second she's jealous of that girl. Live and learn, I suppose.

I think the Frozen post wasn't actually that bad; she's written about much more controversial issues, but since it followed the Ariana article it made it seem much worse.

Edited by denajeanx

It's ok no problem I will answer your question. Firstly let me just say that I have no problem with female sexuality or seeing it and I am not really conservative in my ideas. In cases that require such a display or have an artistic value I really do appreciate it. But I think that sometimes the motives for something like a nude photoshoot is either money or become easily famous. And for me these reasons are wrong. I think there is a difference when someone does that for charity. E.g. in my country (maybe in other countries too idk) famous people are being photographed naked hugging each other in a campaign against AIDS. The point of that is for people to realize that having unprotected sex is like being intimate with all the past sexual partners of the guy/girl you're sleeping with. It is charity, I think they also make a calendar but they aren't getting paid. And believe me that actress I am referring to wasn't in a position to give that money away cause she wasn't even very famous back then. That's why I appreciate her. What I am trying to say is that the purpose behind the act is what makes me like it or not. And sometimes it's just painfully obvious that some girls adopt a style like that just for people to talk about them etc. It's not about being free and be able to wear whatever you want. It's about doing whatever might sell and that is the opposite of being free IMO.

I hope I made you understand what I mean. I really tried but sometimes my English fails me!

eta: btw the reasons you mentioned about doing a nude photoshoot or makes them feel good are ok with me. I say good for them.

It's ok, I get what you're saying. I respectfully disagree though. I think that when some women do it for the money, it's because they have none. If taking off your top means you get to survive another month, I imagine a lot of women would do it. A lot wouldn't do it too and that's fine, but I don't think respect is always a big factor in posing nude.

I love Mayim but I won't pretend to agree with every opinion she expresses. 

It very much unsettled me reading that she thinks women like Ariana Grande were making themselves "sexually available" and my god, I hope she doesn't teach her sons that. I also didn't like that she seemed to assume Ariana had no control over her image and it was all down to her living in a partichal society. Some women do want to express their sexuality in that way and it doest mean they are a victim to sexism.

I think Ariana said it best..

"Women should be able to express themselves however they want...I think that's feminism. I don't think to be a feminist you have to cover yourself up or do something a certain way...people should be able to do what they want and not be stereotyped"

Anyway, like I said...I love Mayim but maybe it's not so bad she got critiqued on this. You shouldn't bring other women into your opinion pieces just to put them down.

I mentioned the "sexually available" comment earlier because it disgusted me. That's an excuse rapists use and it's still something people say when shaming rape victims. "You shouldn't have worn that outfit because you made yourself look willing ". Ugh, no. I am not "sexually available" because I wear a short skirt. I just can't with that comment...

She should be less concerned about her children being exposed to racy billboards and more concerned that she's possibly teaching her sons that women are "sexually available" if they think their outfit is slutty.

Oh come on. If you truly believe that Mayim would tell her sons that just because women dress a certain way that means they're "sexually available", then I think you're sorely mistaken or just being deliberately obtuse. I get that you don't agree with her, and though I don't think either article is really cause for all this pearl clutching, I can agree that they weren't written that well or clearly thought out. But if you've followed Mayim at all, I think you could deduce that she wouldn't teach her kids that someone is slutty for dressing like Ariana Grande.

Oh come on. If you truly believe that Mayim would tell her sons that just because women dress a certain way that means they're "sexually available", then I think you're sorely mistaken or just being deliberately obtuse. I get that you don't agree with her, and though I don't think either article is really cause for all this pearl clutching, I can agree that they weren't written that well or clearly thought out. But if you've followed Mayim at all, I think you could deduce that she wouldn't teach her kids that someone is slutty for dressing like Ariana Grande.

So what exactly is the message she is putting out by saying women who dress that way are sexually available?

I don't understand then. She is willing to write an article that basically claims that a young woman is "sexually available" because of her outfit, but she wouldn't allow her sons to think that? What's the difference between Mayim proclaiming and believing such a thing, but not her sons, who most likely form a lot of their opinions based on what their mother believes?

But I don't think that's what she meant (which is why I said that it wasn't written well or clearly). She says that society is patriarchal and that women are expected to be sexy and sexually available, but nowhere does she say that she believes because Ariana Grande dresses sexually that means she's sexually available and she'll be teaching her sons that awesome lesson (<--sarcasm). You guys can believe what you want of course, but I just don't think she'll be doing that.

@ATM did you ever consider that this job was probably the only one she could have at the time? Besides her neuroscience job which she -for her own reasons- gave up. Sometimes people don't get to be selective with the job they are doing. Besides now she knows that work and her co workers and probably like them and it would be unethical and unprofessional to leave now. Sometimes you have to put up with things that even disturb you to do your job.

@Consuela of course I was not talking about girls who cannot survive through the next month. But please don't tell me that all these actresses you mentioned (lol I don't even renember all their names :p ) don't have enough money so they had to do that. So I am talking about women in the industry of entertainment who have money but want more or want to become more popular. And that's not the way to do it at least for me. I happened to get a glimpse of a video clip the other day. It was a girl singing Nicky something (sorry don't really know her) and I freaked out. All you could see was her or the dancer's backside. And I wondered doesn't she know that half the people who watch at that don't give a damn about the song and her voice and are just staring at her ass?? Is that what she wants or what any woman want?? I highly doubt that a woman with self respect wants or would do. That's what I think she meant that the society expects that women are sexually available. The actresses and the singers (or at least many of them) have to be gorgeous (thus the extreme and dangerous diets and the plastic surgeries) because they have to be sexually appealing 24/7 and God forbid if they ever walk their dogs without make up on it should be the cover story of every yellow press. And if we like it or not these women work as role models and if they are hot all the time and desirable then all the girls should be like them and all the boys want them. I also condemn opinions of the like "she had that tiny skirt on she deserved what she got". No way!! But the way a woman is dressed can make someone look at a woman sexually just because of the outfit. The point is that some women dress in a provokative way not because they really like it and feel comfortable with that but because they feel they have to in order to fit in to what other people expect from them and be accepted. I imagine that what Mayim is going to teach their sons is not to expect from women to be sexually available all the time and probably not judge a woman by her clothes because deep down she may be just wearing them to please others. That's why I think her biggest mistake was to be so personal with that girl cause I don't think she wanted to say something like "omg Ariana Grande is a slut and she dresses like that". I think she wanted to comment on the society that drives some women to dress in a certain way if they want to be successful in whatever field they are. I admit that her ideas are a little more conservative than mine so yes for me she overreacted especially in some points but I think she does have a point. (Note that the last part of my answer to you Consuela wasn't referring to you I just found the opportunity to talk about something that was mentioned).

• Like 1

@ATM did you ever consider that this job was probably the only one she could have at the time? Besides her neuroscience job which she -for her own reasons- gave up. Sometimes people don't get to be selective with the job they are doing. Besides now she knows that work and her co workers and probably like them and it would be unethical and unprofessional to leave now. Sometimes you have to put up with things that even disturb you to do your job.

But, that's the whole point of calling out on her hipocracy. If she is going to accept it (or ignore it) on her show, what right does she have to condemn the same behavior in other places? While she may have that right, in the minds of many people, by calling it out, she's a hippocrite.

But, that's the whole point of calling out on her hipocracy. If she is going to accept it (or ignore it) on her show, what right does she have to condemn the same behavior in other places? While she may have that right, in the minds of many people, by calling it out, she's a hippocrite.

So, the problem is that she is saying it? I see your reasoning but there are other ways to think about it. We don't have the power to change things like that - I mean whether she works there or not TBBT will still continue doing exactly what it does (whatever that is) but she as a person recognized and loved by people can say an opinion that will be heard. So, for me she did well to call out on something that is wrong with society but she did it with such a bad way that she missed the purpose. I am not really trying to defend Mayim cause I don't know her and I don't read all her posts (and I don't always agree with the little things fron her I read tbh) but I genuinely think that when it comes to a work it's hard to always have ideal conditions cause it's what pays the bills. It's actually a talk I had with a friend about a month ago. She is a lawyer and she told me that she would never ever defend a rapist. I asked her that "so if you have a family to support and work in an office and your boss tells you you will defend him or you're fired what are you going to do?". She said she didn't really know and that she might do it after all. Does this make her a hypocrite? I doubt it. And on the other hand as I said her views have a better chance to be heard than of people's that aren't so well known. I say it's a pitty she couldn't make her point clearer and make more people think about that. Instead she made it personal and missed the point. But I don't think she is a hypocrite. I am saying I don't like it when women are depicted as objects and I trust that no one here does and since many of us expressed the view that Kayle is often objectified (god is that even a word or did I just made it up?) then why do we keep watching that?? Are we hypocrites? And it's not even paying our bills we just watch it for the laughs. But we are not really cause we don't have the power to change it and in this case it's not that bad to put us off so to turn off the tv and not watch it. I can relate more to Martin's point that she comes off as snarky and that's not always good but I've heard many things about negative publicity being ok if they spell your name right so I won't give much thought to that one.