Mayim Bialik

Tripper

very sad.  I hope people give her the respect and privacy she deserves.  Not too happy seeing people smacking pics of her father & her on the internet as almost like "tributes".  While I know its meant to say "hey we are thinking of you" if you actually read her article on kveller, I wouldn't do so....

• Like 8

i, too, had a feeling it was her dad but i couldn't bring myself to accept it because i know how much pain it'll cause Mayim if it were true. my heart is breaking for her. i wish i can do something to make her feel better. 

i am legit crying right now. Mayim.. :( 

I was also thinking it could have something to do with her parents, but then she posted yesterday and it sounded like she was okay... Don't want to say I know how she feels (because of her blog and also because I was allergic to that sentence when someone really close to me died), but, well, I know how it feels when you lose a loved one. So sad.

Hopefully at least tonight's taping will make her think of something else for a few hours. :)

• Like 1

Loosing a parent is such a rough thing to go through, at least the hiatus is coming up so that she will have the summer to get away from everything to think, mourn and reflect, while not having to worry about work - my thoughts and prayers are with Mayim and her family, I hope she finds some peace in thinking about the good memories she had with her father.

• Like 5

The thing I don't get about Mayim is that on her blog, she is so condescending. She wrote something like- Your telling me you know what it's like to lose a parent or friend, but you don't because it was my father.- So anyone else who lost a parent can't say they understand the pain of loosing a mother or father? People try to offer her condolence, and she automatically alienates them,right off the bat.

The thing I don't get about Mayim is that on her blog, she is so condescending. She wrote something like- Your telling me you know what it's like to lose a parent or friend, but you don't because it was my father.- So anyone else who lost a parent can't say they understand the pain of loosing a mother or father? People try to offer her condolence, and she automatically alienates them,right off the bat.

I think she meant they don't know how it feels to have lost HER father not a father, like their's
  • Like 7

I'm sorry for her loss. Everyone mourns the loss differently no matter what their faith or beliefs are. I'm sure that along with her faith and family and good friends they will support each other.

• Like 1

Oh man, I knew it. I had a feeling it was her Dad. She had posted that picture of him months ago and he looked sick even then. I think the BBT writers purposely wrote her light in these last episodes because they knew he could pass any time and she would need to miss episodes to sit Shiva. So sad.

Here is the kveller post about her Dad's passing:

http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik-mourning-my-fathers-death/

Grieving or not, that was a pretty callous and disrespectful thing to say to people who are simply trying to offer sympathy. (And I'm going to stop right now before I let loose with some rather choice expletives...)

• Like 3

I've lost both of my parents, my mom in 2011. It still sucks expecially for my kids since they do not have ant grandparents.

We all grieve differently. Mayim is probly still mad. We need to give her a break.

Luckily She has the summer to rest

Edited by Shamyfan
  • Like 1

I knew what she meant, everybody who has lost a parent can relate to her on that level, but not knowing her personally and what her relationship with her father was like, you can't really know what she is going through or feel her feelings, I've felt like crying all day because the news has made me think back on loosing my own mother and father, but nobody can really know what Mayim is thinking and feeling except for her.

• Like 3

Yes. I read her post on Kevller and it threw me off as well. She was very stand offish. Of course no one is going to know exactly what she's going through because they are not her. What people were saying is that they understand how she feels, and they do, just not exactly. There are a lot of daughters who have lost their father so they can empathize because they went through something similar. And then the bit that Jewish mourning is profound.  What is that supposed to mean? That if you aren't Jewish you cannot mourn someone profoundly? Hhhhhhhh, no!

• Like 1

We all grieve differently. Mayim is probly still mad. We need to give her a break.

Then IMHO she should have kept her mouth shut and not said a damn thing, at least until she's come to terms with her grief. A simple "my father died, I'm still grieving, I'll be back soon, thank you for all your well wishes" would have sufficed, rather than saying something thoughtless (again) and pissing off some of her fans (again). Honestly, I love her work, but she's an absolute disaster when it comes to knowing when and what to say on social media.

I've felt like crying all day because the news has made me think back on loosing my own mother and father, but nobody can really know what Mayim is thinking and feeling except for her.

I flashed back to the death of my father, too, but to put it bluntly, nobody cares what Mayim is thinking and feeling. They're just offering their condolences, they're not in the "grieving someone's death" equivalent of a dick-measuring contest.

• Like 2

It did sound a bit off-putting to me, as well, though I understand the concept and the personal pain behind her words.  I know a woman who lost her mother very suddenly in a house fire back in March.

I'm very fortunate in that I still have both my parents, but they're in their 80s and I think more and more about the fear of losing either of them.  I feel like I'm not old enough to be ready for that.

Yes, we all grieve in personal ways and our personal feelings can't be understood by others--and it's even harder when you're in the public eye--but I think there are probably more circumspect ways of communicating that private grief than by saying you understand but you don't understand.

I know that she was perhaps trying to portray the depth of her love and loss, and that's fine.  And one isn't necessarily going to be at one's best in a moment like this, but I just found her way of saying it a little brusque.

And I think that all mourning is profound.  The process may be different, but it's all profound in its own way.

I'm sorry for her loss.  I just wish she'd perhaps chosen different words.

• Like 2