The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Mayim Bialik

You are entitled to your opinion.  However, she reaches and encourages a lot of young people, especially young women, into a field they may have never considered so while you may feel she is a poor role model she is achieving the goal, which is to encourage young people into STEM.  

And  you have your facts wrong...Mayim NEVER came back to acting for the money, but for the health insurance coverage for her sons.   She left sciences because she knew the demands of staying in a post-doc program would conflict with her desire to be a hands-on mother.   She has been very clear about that.   It was not to return to acting.  The acting decision was because after her second son came, their insurance coverage was disappearing and she needed to have her kids covered.  She never expected to go back full time, just guest roles.   It was her talent that could not be denied that won her the full time role after she came to do a guest appearance on the show.

You may not like Mayim and may not agree with her choices, and you are welcome to your opinion, but make sure you have your facts correct when you speak.

insurance is not money?? ....

its like saying scientists cannot afford insurance for their kids....

insurance is not money?? ....

its like saying scientists cannot afford insurance for their kids....

It is not at all saying that.   Did you not read?  She made the choice to not do a post-doc even before she ever came back to acting.  She had been out of school for a couple of years well before she returned to acting. The choice to not continue a post-doc was because she wanted to be a hands-on mother and knew that doing a post-doc would conflict with that.  You are equating one decision with another.   They were separate decisions and not even close in time to each other.  She had already left science and was mothering and just pregnant with her second child which she gave birth to very soon after awarded her degree.   But by then she made the decision to leave science.   Her second child was nearly 3 years old by the time she returned to acting.  Quite a span of time between the two decisions.

And health insurance is pricey...and necessary, but you can't go out and buy nice clothes, car, etc. with health insurance.   It is a necessary evil sadly....but it was important to cover her boys health wise.  Pure and simple that is her reason for returning, for their well-being...not to buy pretty things.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 6

Honestly, you can think whatever you want, but I, as a female civil engineering student, have to say that I LOVE what Mayim does and she is exactly the person who should be doing it. We need famous people to talk about women in science... As if someone would listen to me for example.

It seriously seems to me that sometimes you don't even think about it logically and just criticize everything you can think of, vasu.

• Like 4

Like my youngest daughter says (who wants to be an engineer and I made mayim as an example of brains, talent and beauty)

"someone been drinking the hateraide"

Edited by Shamyfan
  • Like 4

she should'nt be the one who encourages young girls and women into sciences.......she would be a pretty bad role model......... she was in sciences .....left it to join acting industry....just because it gets her big bucks..........

its like her saying.... I want money...so i won't stay in science.......but other girls should go into science........

gosh ... what a hypocrite....

This post is so wrong and ill informed.

• Like 4

Some people have many different talents and many different strengths and many different opportunities.

Anyone can study anything, do it for a while, and then move on to something else, depending on circumstances.

Mayim is not only one thing.  She is not JUST an actress and not JUST a scientist.  She has done both things, and right now, she's acting.  But acting now does not negate that she earned a PhD in neuroscience.

That's no mean feat.  She didn't just go to school for a couple of years and then go back to acting.  Pursuing her degree took years of her life.  And even though she's acting right now, she still loves her field and still believes that if a girl wants to, she shouldn't be discouraged from going into the sciences.

• Like 6

she should'nt be the one who encourages young girls and women into sciences.......she would be a pretty bad role model......... she was in sciences .....left it to join acting industry....just because it gets her big bucks..........

its like her saying.... I want money...so i won't stay in science.......but other girls should go into science........

FYI, she returned to acting mostly for the reason that she wanted to have more time to spend with her kids. Being a research professor would take a lot of physical time (being away from her kids in a physical sense) from her. She never intended to be back fully into acting, just to have sporadic roles, say some several lines in the shows she auditioned for. The thing is, her role as Amy Farrah Fowler got her acting chops noticed, which in turn got her to be a regular TBBT cast member and some award giving body nominations.She's using the fame associated with her playing Amy Farrah Fowler as a platform to speak about her passion for science and to encourage girls to pursue their interest in sciences.

Your criticizing post is so wrong on so many levels.

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 5

I think you are dead wrong!

To get a Ph.D. one must do original research. Her degree implies she has made a contribution to science so she definitely is not a hypocrite on that basis.

She made a personal choice to be closer to her kids. She continues to contribute to the scientific community by encouraging STEM research. Again she is making personal choices and contributing what she can on her terms. There is nothing "bad role model" about this. There is no one right way to balance work and home life.

Whats more her celebrity status by itself raises curiosity. Have a look at this http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/feature/the_big_bang_theorys_mayim_bialik_shares_experiences_as_an_academic_actor_a

More than 700 attendees gathered at RIMAC Arena for her talk, where she shared her experiences as the child star of the 90s show “Blossom,” the pursuit of her doctorate in neuroscience from UCLA and landing her current role on “The Big Bang Theory.”

“We invited Mayim Bialik to UC San Diego because she is highly educated and a great model for our students—plus ‘The Big Bang Theory’ is hugely popular, so it was a win-win,” said Dan Donoghue, provost of Sixth College. “Our goal was to create a memorable program for our students. Listening to Mayim speak as a strong advocate for STEM education, and particularly the challenges that confront many young women in high school and college, was very inspiring. We hope that she will feel a connection to our campus and want to come back each year on the same day—her day at Sixth College.”

• Like 1

she doesn't have to be present for the nomination announcements.  Trust me, pretty sure she'll know even overseas if she gets a nomination.

• Like 1

She will likely only be there 10-14 days so yes, should be back in plenty of time for the nominations.  But as Kerry said, she doesn't have to be back for them.

• Like 1

Here is a video I found on YouTube of Mayim when she was on a special 'celebrity edition' of the 1990s PBS game show "Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego" the full episode starts off around 0:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ewoSsx-bk

I used to love that show and the PC game. I almost became a defective because of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stay away from any open flames or you'll have a Michael Jackson scare

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

https://instagram.com/p/4ZyuW6iOOp/

Behind the scenes with mayims israel photoshoot

She looks adorable and sexy in that black dress.. like a princess. I wished that TBBT chose Belle instead of Snow White as Amy's Disney princess in The Contractual Obligation. Belle is smart, brave, and independent, and her love story with the Beast has a lot of "heart" in it.

• Like 1

that was the first time I've seen pictures of her kids. I thought she tried to keep them out of the public eye. They are cuties though...and blonde!

understood barely any of that BUT it was cute and she looks so happy.

• Like 2