The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Mayim Bialik

I love Mayim so much. I cannot imagine why anyone would have a complaint with her. She is beautiful, strong, talented, smart! I have a girl crush on her lol

I love NOH8 pics! If they are ever in your area, I highly recommend getting yours taken. You won't be disappointed. :)

No chance...they are not in my area. Anyway... why should I want to have a photo taken with my mouth shut...

Edited by wannamaker

After reading her latest blog where she and mike were together for something special for the children i wonder whether they would get back together and they just needed/need time apart for a while

I'm pretty sure if that's all they needed, Mayim would not have filed for divorce. 

I love Mayim so much. I cannot imagine why anyone would have a complaint with her. She is beautiful, strong, talented, smart! I have a girl crush on her lol

:):wub:

post-8585-0-68110100-1362680213.jpg

Mayim posted about her costume and girls dressing as princesses:

http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/on-the-big-bang-theory-princess-scene-why-i-dont-like-princess-culture/

Yeah, I get it, but I think a lot of her attitude is a defense mechanism.  Being told you're basically not cute enough to be anything but a character actor, at age 11, will do that to you.

Mayim posted about her costume and girls dressing as princesses:

http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/on-the-big-bang-theory-princess-scene-why-i-dont-like-princess-culture/

Yeah, I get it, but I think a lot of her attitude is a defense mechanism.  Being told you're basically not cute enough to be anything but a character actor, at age 11, will do that to you.

What is your gain by saying that?  Everybody somehow has a defence mechanism ...but given the chance I was very happy to dress up for carneval parade in the street. I was longing for it..

Edited by wannamaker

What is your gain by saying that?  Everybody somehow has a defence mechanism ...but given the chance I was very happy to dress up for carneval parade in the street. I was longing for it..

What is my gain for saying what?  I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I was somewhat offended that she thinks that people with a different view are being "uppity" simpletons, as compared to those who share her complex educated perspective.  I usually enjoy reading her blog, but the tone here was very condescending.

• Like 1

What is my gain for saying what?  I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I was somewhat offended that she thinks that people with a different view are being "uppity" simpletons, as compared to those who share her complex educated perspective.  I usually enjoy reading her blog, but the tone here was very condescending.

The princess issue is something that is discussed in feminist circles. Mayim has a right to dislike the concept and to discuss it on her blog. As you have the right to take things strangely personally.

Some people really hate princesses. There are real discussions in child development circles about this issue. I don't happen to agree with the idea that allowing a child to have a princess fixation is necessarily a bad thing, but I understand the logic.

I felt her tone inidcated that this was something she was passionate about, something that sets her off. She's entitled.

I never once said she wasn't entitled to her opinion, did I?  

By the way, she knew what the reaction would be when she posted it, calling people who disagreed with her "haters" getting "uppity".  That is more than an opinion, that's judgmental and condescending.  If she wants to be that way it's her right, and I will judge her accordingly.

Edited by idrive65

I'm really disappointed in Mayim. I didn't care for the tone of the article at all and I found it to be unnecessarily judgmental. Yes, it's true that not all girls like to dress up as princesses but that doesn't mean that you criticize children and their parents. You can be both a feminist and feminine. 

• Like 2

I find it difficult to be offended by something that Mayim thinks personally. She's saying that we should have the right to reject the princess culture if we want to, and who can blame her when she was told she could only be a character actress from such a young age? I think she's still struggling to understand just how pretty she really is.

• Like 2

I feel that Mayim's blog has too much about her family which should be private, IMHO. What about her blog about how to handle a divorce? Surely there is no "right way" to do something so personal.

• Like 1

She gives people pointers based on personal experience. Whether you follow that advice is your choice, and she's made it very clear if you watch a lot of her interviews that the way she does things is not for everyone. The reason she brings her family life into a lot of her posts is so people can relate more easily.

• Like 4

She posts on a parenting website where people discuss their family lives. She shares what she feels comfortable sharing and I enjoy her posts. 

Meh, I disagree on a lot of things with Mayim but I totally share her views on the princess culture. And she made it clear that she was going to make a lot of people hate her for expressing her opinions on the matter, but shared them anyway, I really respect that. So many people are obsessed with being liked by everyone and always saying things that please everyone instead of speaking their mind. I respect that she stands by her opinions regardless of how people will perceive them.

• Like 7

This is one blog post I really didn't enjoy. I disagree on Princess culture, but I don't like the tone of this blogpost. Love her to death, but this was kinda mean.

She gives people pointers based on personal experience. Whether you follow that advice is your choice, and she's made it very clear if you watch a lot of her interviews that the way she does things is not for everyone. The reason she brings her family life into a lot of her posts is so people can relate more easily.

The way Mayim writes allows her little real private life IMO. It's great for the fans but it I knew her, I'd be concerned.

This is one blog post I really didn't enjoy. I disagree on Princess culture, but I don't like the tone of this blogpost. Love her to death, but this was kinda mean.

Exactly.  Typically she shares bit of her life, her beliefs, etc. and I enjoy reading those things even when I don't see eye to eye on an issue.  For example, I am not vegan and my kids don't sleep in my bed, but if she wants to do that, more power to her!

This one was different.  She was critical of people who might dare to disagree with her, as well as hypocritical because she not only enjoyed dressing up as a child (in bright colors, and pink) but she also dresses in lovely colors and long feminine gowns now, with her makeup and hair done.  In addition, she said that if you disagree with her views on allowing your daughter to dress as a princess, you just don't know any better.  Since I disagree, she is, in effect, saying that I'm not complex enough (her words) to see the subtle damage, yada yada yada.  Which is rubbish, and unlike Mayim, I have a grown daughter.

And I was particularly irritated by her use of the phrase "uppity" which is often used by men to put women (or whites to blacks) in their place.

• Like 2

I love mayim and although I too do not necessarily share her religious or child rearing beliefs I love her honesty and conviction. I also love how she shares her views freely when other 'famous' people seem to say what is expected of them. This princess post read differently to others. Maybe she has just had a bad week. But it made me uncomfortable and I'm not sue why.

Yeah, she's going through some pretty tough times and a lot of her blog posts have had quite a despondent undertone. So yes, I'm not really enjoying her blog as much as I usually do, not because I feel personally offended by her negativity but because I always wish things were better for her. I really hope she can start writing more about how much she enjoys certain things and make more of those behind-the-scenes posts that weren't just complaints. I miss those :(

There is an interview/article with Mayim in the new People Magazine.  It is the issue with Valerie Harper on the cover.   Mayim talks about her accident & divorce.  There are also some quotes from Jim in the article.

• Like 1

After reading her latest blog where she and mike were together for something special for the children i wonder whether they would get back together and they just needed/need time apart for a while

Maybe :icon_wink: but I fear not ...according to what I read here she filed the divorce papers.

And this is my last post in this Thread. Goodbye!

Edited by wannamaker

No chance...they are not in my area. Anyway... why should I want to have a photo taken with my mouth shut...

Why should you NOT want to have a photo taken with tape over your mouth? ;)

From their press release on their site:

"Photos feature subjects with duct tape over their mouths to symbolize their voices not being heard, and NOH8 painted on one cheek in protest"

• Like 1

I don't think she was confrontational in the post about Princess Culture to a large extent at all. She pointed out that everyone has the right to embrace it as well as criticise it. I completely agree with her on princess culture, and with everything in that post, as well as her tomboy/feminist views (such as not shaving). It's great that she thinks in a scientific, rational point of view rather than succumbing to social norms. Just because there's a consensus, doesn't mean it's always rational.

By far the cast member who is most like the characters on the show.

Edited by viddy9
  • Like 5

Mayim's princess blog has ruffled quite a few feathers everywhere, it seems. This debate is raging across forums. Maybe that was the intention.. to get people thinking and talking about it. Because then the conversation is not just about whether Mayim behaved well or not, it's also about the 'princess culture' itself; and those who are critical of it (me included) do want it to be talked about.

I do think her tone was a little condescending here. The same things could have been said more nicely, even if equally firmly. But I'm sure her real-life stress does have an effect in sharpening a negative reaction to anything (this happens to all of us), so I can't blame her.

• Like 1