The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Mayim Bialik

I just think she didn't sugar coat it. I'm sure that her daily stress probably contributes to how she comes across in her blog and I also think that when you feel strongly about something it is easy to become a bit aggressive in getting your points across. But I also think it's a bit excessive to get so hung up on one word that she used that comes across as condescending when in the rest of the post she says again and again that it's her own opinion and she's aware that it's going to piss people off. To be honest, all of us I'm sure look down on some types of people in life. Whether it's jocks, cheerleaders, pageant moms, people from certain political parties or whatever. She seems to look down on people who embrace the princess culture without thinking about it, so what? At least she wasn't hypocritical about it.

By all means, be offended, but I think people shouldn't be afraid to speak their minds because they have to want to appeal to everyone. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I didn't like this post either.  She did seem passionate about it but it does come accross as very judgemental.  I happen to have raised(almost raise she's 17) a daughter who loved the disney princess, from Cinderella to Mulan to Tiana.  That however does not make her any less of a female who cares about women issues. Children, in genral, will form their own opinions based on what they are exposed to and their experiences.  In fact, I don't think she has to be labeled at all to be a strong intelligent girl, that cheers, super girly, but has won a spelling bee, takes AP classes, anchors, plays a violin, and can discuss and comprehend great literature and likes science, but also loves teen vogue and that little group 1 Direction.  I find calling oneself feminist is very limiting.  I was very disappointed with the way that Mayim stated "your princess" is the exception because that is how all Mothers with daughters think....anyway. Just my little opinion.  Growing up liking princess does not define you as a whole person...nor is shaving your legs, caring about other girlie things....I

• Like 1

I just think she didn't sugar coat it. I'm sure that her daily stress probably contributes to how she comes across in her blog and I also think that when you feel strongly about something it is easy to become a bit aggressive in getting your points across. But I also think it's a bit excessive to get so hung up on one word that she used that comes across as condescending when in the rest of the post she says again and again that it's her own opinion and she's aware that it's going to piss people off. To be honest, all of us I'm sure look down on some types of people in life. Whether it's jocks, cheerleaders, pageant moms, people from certain political parties or whatever. She seems to look down on people who embrace the princess culture without thinking about it, so what? At least she wasn't hypocritical about it.

By all means, be offended, but I think people shouldn't be afraid to speak their minds because they have to want to appeal to everyone. 

I'm sorry but I don't understand how someone can say that "all of us look down on some types of people in life" so casually.   yeah sure, I'm sure a lot of peope do but it's not right.  What, jock, cheerleader can't be respected?  Are they all airheads...dumb and shallow?  Anyway, you're right, Mayim is entitled to her own opinion, but her tone in this particular blog was kind of like she had some type of bitternes. 

Edited by ShamyFTW

I'm sorry but I don't understand how someone can say that "all of us look down on some types of people in life" so casually.   yeah sure, I'm sure a lot of peope do but it's not right.  What, jock, cheerleader can't be respected?  Are they all airheads...dumb and shallow?  Anyway, you're right, Mayim is entitled to her own opinion, but her tone in this particular blog was kind of like she had some type of bitternes. 

I don't think she was saying EVERYONE who does that is an idiot or anything like that. Again, there was one word in that post that was "offensive", and that's it. I'm saying everyone has generalized at some point in their lives, be it for conviction or convenience. She's looking down on a certain "culture" not the individuals. It just so happens that it's individuals that make up a culture. She's just not being hypocritical about it. 

What she was saying about the princess culture is simply about the fact that often traditions are taken on without dwelling into what they really mean, and once you do you might find some disturbing stuff. Like giving boys guns for toys. Yes, there's a harmless side to it, but there's also a disturbing side to having kids to fake-kill other kids for play. 

Edited by koops

You probably watched it, but maybe you will enjoy it.  It's an interview with Maim on The View  about her book Beyond the Sling

http://www.hulu.com/watch/336435

Well I dare say she will not appear on that show again.  

and here's a picture of Mayim I thought I would share.

mayim-bialik-t3-speaker.png

Well I dare say she will not appear on that show again.  

Oh yeah, I started watching the one where they discussed her while she wasn't there thinking it might be interesting (I knew nothing of their reputation) and I had to stop watching before I broke my computer screen. It was appalling. They don't deserve to have her back.

Oh yeah, I started watching the one where they discussed her while she wasn't there thinking it might be interesting (I knew nothing of their reputation) and I had to stop watching before I broke my computer screen. It was appalling. They don't deserve to have her back.

I'm confused. I posted it, but I didn't want to do it to show that I'm hater. On the contrary. Maybe I should delete my post. I really like Mayim, and maybe I didn't understand something.

If anyone feel offended sorry

Edited by silverangelD

I'm confused. I posted it, but I didn't want to do it to show that I'm hater. On the contrary. Maybe I should delete my post. I really like Mayim, and maybe I didn't understand something.

If anyone feel offended sorry

No it's not your post, don't worry, that one was very interesting! It's just there is also a video somewhere where they talked about her afterwards and they didn't have some very nice things to say! :(

No it's not your post, don't worry, that one was very interesting! It's just there is also a video somewhere where they talked about her afterwards and they didn't have some very nice things to say! :(

Oh, ok what a relief... If they talk about her some bulshit then let's say to them : live long and suck it ... :icon_evil:  :icon_evil: She's to perfect for them... 

What did they say about her? *An angry cat with claws* Silver Angel is correct: they can suck it! Nobody should EVER be cruel to Mayim; she is such a lovely lady.

What did they say about her? *An angry cat with claws* Silver Angel is correct: they can suck it! Nobody should EVER be cruel to Mayim; she is such a lovely lady.

I don't know if I could go back to find the video to put here because I feel bad just looking for it, haha, but I imiagine it wouldn't be that hard to find if you wanted to. But they were basically making fun of her parenting methods and speculating about her divorce saying stuff like she must've had a lacking sex life because of her co-sleeping etc. It was just unnecessary and unfair.

I really liked her posting Keller about her friendship with Jim, I think its lovely that they can be do expressive and open about it, even if other s try to rain on their parade, wtf has it got to do with the haters and how does J&M being friends affect their life in such a way that they feel the need to be bitter about it

• Like 4

I really liked her posting Keller about her friendship with Jim, I think its lovely that they can be do expressive and open about it, even if other s try to rain on their parade, wtf has it got to do with the haters and how does J&M being friends affect their life in such a way that they feel the need to be bitter about it

I agree. Speaking for myself, I love their openly expressed friendship because I like them so much individually - Jim is literally one of my favorite people on the planet (from whatever I've seen, heard and read of him), and I admire Mayim as a strong woman and a scientist. Also, it's great to see a 'relationship of the mind' coupled with so much respect and affection between two people who are expected to reflect just those dynamics on screen. It's such a happy coincidence. :)

• Like 4

I'm totally with you Pom on this. I don't really follow the actors much and I don't get into celebrities, but I think the reason I have a soft spot for these two is that they are truly unique in Hollywood for being so well-read, articulated, private and down to earth that it makes them seem more like one of us than one of "them". I think their Actor on Actor interview in S4, especially when compared to the ones by the others (no offense to the others), really is an example of why I find them so interesting and shows why they get along so well. I still don't really follow them much beyond TBBT-related appearances blogs, but I do appreciate the glimpses we get into their friendship and at times find them sickeningly sweet.  :icon_lol:

I'm just very weary of getting too involved in celebrities and their affairs because at the end of the day we don't know them and to put them on a pedestal is dangerous, just as it is absurd to think we can infer anything about their private lives that is more than what they tell us. This is why I find baffling when I read people insist about who's closest to whom or deny words that come directly out of their mouths as if we somehow knew better. It's absurd and actually rather arrogant. Speculating is fine and harmless, but when I read some who are so convinced of something that is most definitely hidden from our view I get very uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

That's partly what annoyed me on the other topic with somebody going on like they think they know whats really going on and who is more friendly than others, we know that have a good relationship and that should be all that matters

Exactly. What we know about them is really all that they tell us, and if they're praising each other right and left and expressing joy in their intellectual friendship, I see no reason to second-guess them and think they're saying these things for publicity or something. Neither Jim nor Mayim come across as people who would profess false feelings or attachments just for effect.

I suppose any of them could, in principle, do something horrible in the future that makes me lose all my regard for them, but the chances are slim and I'm willing to take the risk in order to enjoy the pleasure they give me right now. :)

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 1

I agree. Speaking for myself, I love their openly expressed friendship because I like them so much individually - Jim is literally one of my favorite people on the planet (from whatever I've seen, heard and read of him), and I admire Mayim as a strong woman and a scientist. Also, it's great to see a 'relationship of the mind' coupled with so much respect and affection between two people who are expected to reflect just those dynamics on screen. It's such a happy coincidence. :)

I'm totally with you Pom on this. I don't really follow the actors much and I don't get into celebrities, but I think the reason I have a soft spot for these two is that they are truly unique in Hollywood for being so well-read, articulated, private and down to earth that it makes them seem more like one of us than one of "them". I think their Actor on Actor interview in S4, especially when compared to the ones by the others (no offense to the others), really is an example of why I find them so interesting and shows why they get along so well. I still don't really follow them much beyond TBBT-related appearances blogs, but I do appreciate the glimpses we get into their friendship and at times find them sickeningly sweet.  :icon_lol:

I'm just very weary of getting too involved in celebrities and their affairs because at the end of the day we don't know them and to put them on a pedestal is dangerous, just as it is absurd to think we can infer anything about their private lives that is more than what they tell us. This is why I find baffling when I read people insist about who's closest to whom or deny words that come directly out of their mouths as if we somehow knew better. It's absurd and actually rather arrogant. Speculating is fine and harmless, but when I read some who are so convinced of something that is most definitely hidden from our view I get very uncomfortable. 

Exactly. What we know about them is really all that they tell us, and if they're praising each other right and left and expressing joy in their intellectual friendship, I see no reason to second-guess them and think they're saying these things for publicity or something. Neither Jim nor Mayim come across as people who would profess false feelings or attachments just for effect.

I suppose any of them could, in principle, do something horrible in the future that makes me lose all my regard for them, but the chances are slim and I'm willing to take the risk in order to enjoy the pleasure they give me right now. :)

I couldn't say it better. You read my mind. I agree with you in its entirety....

I agree with feeling uncomfortable when people suggest that Jim may like Mayim more than Kaley or that their bond is more than friends. Its part of the shipping war IMHO.

But I don't agree about the comparison. Mayim and Jim are opposites imo. Jim is someone who never wishes to offend others and does not share anything about his private life to the public. Mayim Bialik is extremely public. She is constantly updating the world on her, at times, quite controversial opinions. She is constantly online and seeking the approval of her new extended audience. They couldn't be more different. Other than them being both fairly intelligent I see no comparison between them whatsoever.

• Like 1

Ms Bialik when playing Raggedy Ann seemed to be ready to dance. Is/was she ever known for that? Or is she just comfortable in motion?

Kind of.

Edited by idrive65
  • Like 2

Kind of.

Lol. Exuberant youth. That would be so funny if she broke character on the show and did this. She and mr parsons danced once, but o guess its unlikely to recur. Maybe at her wedding after Amy's plan comes to fruition.

Edit: Or more awkwardly, at Penny's.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Mayim Bialik's Big Bang Theory: Why actress doesn't want to 'sexualise' geeky love with her on-screen love interest Sheldon Cooper

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2307766/Mayim-Bialiks-Big-Bang-Theory-Why-actress-doesnt-want-sexualise-geeky-love-screen-love-Sheldon-Cooper.html

Ah, I was just about to post this. I definitely agree with her on this issue, the Sheldon-Amy relationship should never, ever be sexualised. I know exactly why she's saying this, and for me it would just spoil the unique kind of relationship that they have.

The Daily Mail, as always, attract you to the article with a good headline and then go off on a tangent talking about topics which do not bear any significance to the headline. The same happened in the Stephen Hawking article in which Hawking said that humanity would not survive another 1000 years on this planet.