The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.16 The Tangible Affection Proof (Feb. 14)

Your Episode Rating  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I can't decide which is more screwed up.  Howard continuing to look for his Xbox when the laundry still hadn't been done or Bernadette for treating Howard like her kid instead of her husband.

AV/game addiction drama was totally relatable :). Disregard of domestic duties for sports is a staple across many genres. The washing machine must be a front loader. It would be hard to not drop an Xbox into a top loader and maybe break it. And btw, where do they keep their machine <icon:rhetorical>.

The other two things, well.... for one of them I'm not unhappy... but they do sell a lot of sugared things on Vday.

very good+

penny and the commitment issues just like

living together last week. glad leonard call her out

four it. it was the second time she asked if they breaking

up.glad to see that they are talking about it, could tear

apart they relations. i could see alex staying around        

to push more buttons with the in insecurites of penny.

raj-great speech-- then go off with a girl (kate).

howard/bernie-could see bernie mad working 17 hours.

howard did not do the house work,but playing x-box

shammy--very sweet amy wanted to stay in to be

with sheldon.

:) Alex is dead in the water wrt Leonard IMHO. He and Penny must have signed that one off. I think she will be invisible in that dimension and will never be in any comfortable social situations with either gender group. I think she will play solo with Sheldon mostly.

AV/game addiction drama was totally relatable :). Disregard of domestic duties for sports is a staple across many genres. The washing machine must be a front loader. It would be hard to not drop an Xbox into a top loader and maybe break it. And btw, where do they keep their machine <icon:rhetorical>.

The other two things, well.... for one of them I'm not unhappy... but they do sell a lot of sugared things on Vday.

But the ironic thing was Howard was actually spending that time making a gift for his wife.  Granted he dropped it, but his heart was in the right place.

Plus I would like to see some  insights to Bernadette’s hobbies, I am sure she has some, might be interesting to see Howard turn the tables on her a bit.  Because I have to admit I am tired of the its always Howard’s fault, to be honest I can point to times old Bernie hasn’t been that great to be around.

Edited by Dbear12

:) Alex is dead in the water wrt Leonard IMHO. He and Penny must have signed that one off. I think she will be invisible in that dimension and will never be in any comfortable social situations with either gender group. I think she will play solo with Sheldon mostly.

I think you are right, she's Sheldon's new foil. It's not as sensational as Penny and Sheldon were but not too bad.

• Like 1

I think you are right, she's Sheldon's new foil. It's not as sensational as Penny and Sheldon were but not too bad.

And they have dressed her in a blue top that to me is very reminiscent of somethingpenny used to wear. Someonetalentadmightpostthe pics.

Alex was sweet in thie episode.She is way too hot for Raj or they could have paired her up with him.She is the total package.

I liked Raj in this episode,the second episode in a row where he has shined.Good the writers are starting to give him more to do.

Howard has been completely neutered after his marriage with Bernie.They are not funny anymore.

Penny was a total bitch.Leonard must be given a nobel for trying to make it work with her,She has nothing to offer absolutely a total waste.

Sheldon was good,I liked the Amy-Sheldon interaction.

Edit:- While Alex may be bit too good looking for Raj, he definetly deserves better than Kate Micucci...total ogre 

Edited by Kutra

The more I thought about Penny's "bitchiness" the more I realize it is symptom of a 30 min sit com. She had to have and extreme example to be able to admit commitment issues. That is the exaggerated why a sit-com tells a story. To me in that context it makes sense. Even though Lenny is an ongoing thing all the stories have to stand alone in 30 minutes.

I really hope they are not going to not take this story line with Raj and the girl he met at the comic shop much further.  As much as I like Kate Micucci I don't want to see a repeat of her role as the kooky girlfriend on Scrubs repeated on TBBT.  It's been done and TBBT is such an innovative show it would be a shame to see them going backwards.  I do have hope that they won't based on the description of the next episode.  Sure have Kate as Raj's new love interest but let her play it differently than her Scrubs character.  

And they have dressed her in a blue top that to me is very reminiscent of somethingpenny used to wear. Someonetalentadmightpostthe pics.

I'm not so sure about that.  The actress that plays Alex is on tour with Mama Mia as far as I know.  They probably taped this episode ages ago or just brought her in quickly to tape this. To me it's very telling that she is only filmed with Sheldon and even after all the sexual harrasment stuff from before she is still putting up with Sheldon's non-work related demands.  

I don't think Penny still wanted her ex, but I do think that Leonard was right to call her on her responses and tell her that it was hard not to take it personally.

Her reaction reminded me of the movie "When Harry Met Sally"--when Sally (Meg Ryan) finds out that her ex is getting married.  She gets upset, not because she wants her ex back, but because while they were together he hadn't wanted to get married and she had thought she didn't either, and that it was all about being free, etc.  But when she finds out that her ex is getting married she says that it wasn't that he didn't want to get married, but that he didn't want to marry her.  So that made her feel like crap.

While it's not a direct parallel, in this case I think it's still kind of understandable based on Penny's line--"They're bad people, it's not supposed to end happily for them.  It's supposed to end happily for me."  Though she misses the implication of her statement, I think this is the main thing that bothers her--that these two people who betrayed her and getting their happy ending.  She doesn't want him back, she just doesn't want to see him happy.  If she had seen them on any other day, or under different circumstances, she probably wouldn't have fixated on it so much, but given the day and the circumstances, and the fact that they were right there in her line of sight, just made it that much harder for her to let it go.

Yeah, she screwed up, but not because she really wanted her ex back.  She just wanted him to be miserable.

This is how I took it as well.  She was immature, a little bitchy, and probably wanted to sabotage their evening a little, but she did not want to get back with her old boyfriend.

Penny and Sheldon are on the same page: fear of committment, loathing of holidays etc it's just as Doug pointed out. Their relationships are parallel with the persons reversed. When are sweeps? I wonder what will happen, it seems the drama is kind of drained but who knows with sitcoms, I really cannot predict anymore as there is no internal consistency with characters such as you would find in a book.

• Like 2

You still don't handle your spouse as you would a child.  If she were my wife I might have to apologize for not doing the laundry but the fight would not have ended until she got the clear message that she would never try that tactic with me ever again.

• Like 1

You still don't handle your spouse as you would a child.  If she were my wife I might have to apologize for not doing the laundry but the fight would not have ended until she got the clear message that she would never try that tactic with me ever again.

Howard was acting like a child in this episode but I really can't get too upset because Sheldon acts like a child most episodes.  The writers even point that out to the fans when they have Leonard and Penny act like his parents.

• Like 1

Howard was acting like a child in this episode but I really can't get too upset because Sheldon acts like a child most episodes.  The writers even point that out to the fans when they have Leonard and Penny act like his parents.

Plus, let's remember the most important thing: it's a situation comedy, for Christ's sake. The goal is to make people laugh, and if that means they make Howard act like a child and Bernadette treat him like one, they're going to do it, without apology and without hesitation. As much as some people want to hold these characters to the standards of reality, the bottom line is that this isn't reality, it's a sitcom universe where things are going to be skewed and exaggerated in order to make us, the viewing audience, laugh and enjoy themselves. If these people are unable to suspend their disbelief in these situations and just enjoy the rollercoaster ride... well, that's a shame.

• Like 4

Penny and Sheldon are on the same page: fear of committment, loathing of holidays etc it's just as Doug pointed out. Their relationships are parallel with the persons reversed. When are sweeps? I wonder what will happen, it seems the drama is kind of drained but who knows with sitcoms, I really cannot predict anymore as there is no internal consistency with characters such as you would find in a book.

You must be watching a completely different show than me.

I don't think that Sheldon has a fear of commitment. He's totally into commitment, with contracts and everything. It's just the squishy romance that he has trouble with. Yet he was prepared to go through with it for Amy's sake--in order to please her because she's his girlfriend.

And while Penny is struggling with her commitment issues, she does recognize that she has the issues and that's the first step toward working on them. She clearly loves Leonard, and he loves her. But I think her assessment of Valentine's Day is kind of true for many couples. Guys are expected to do something "romantic" and some women have very high expectations for romantic gestures. The selling of VD implies that if a guy doesn't find the right gift or make the right gesture or choose the right restaurant, his wife or GF is going to be disappointed, he's going to be a loser, etc.

At any rate, I don't think things would have been bad if that other couple hadn't shown up. She was happy with the restaurant and even okay with H/B joining them.

And Amy's unselfish offer was the best gift she could give Sheldon--she understood what would please him and was unselfish enough to give up a conventional VD celebration in order to please her BF. And Sheldon was prepared to give her the kind of VD she wanted--a gift, a dinner date, and he was even prepared to try to look as if he were enjoying the process. And it wouldn't have been that he would have had a problem spending time with her, it's just the trappings of the day that he had trouble with.

In the end, Sheldon also gave Amy a gift that hit just the right note, more so than any conventional gift would have done.

In the end they were both very happy with their date.

And this month IS sweeps--January 31st through February 21st.

• Like 9

Alex was sweet in thie episode.She is way too hot for Raj or they could have paired her up with him.She is the total package.

I liked Raj in this episode,the second episode in a row where he has shined.Good the writers are starting to give him more to do.

Howard has been completely neutered after his marriage with Bernie.They are not funny anymore.

Penny was a total bitch.Leonard must be given a nobel for trying to make it work with her,She has nothing to offer absolutely a total waste.

Sheldon was good,I liked the Amy-Sheldon interaction.

Edit:- While Alex may be bit too good looking for Raj, he definetly deserves better than Kate Micucci...total ogre 

So only "beautiful" actresses should be allowed to be love interests? What if some viewers find that Kunal isn't handsome enough to deserve this or that actress as a love interest?

A lot of what you've said above is just ugly and hateful.

• Like 1

Plus, let's remember the most important thing: it's a situation comedy, for Christ's sake. The goal is to make people laugh, and if that means they make Howard act like a child and Bernadette treat him like one, they're going to do it, without apology and without hesitation. As much as some people want to hold these characters to the standards of reality, the bottom line is that this isn't reality, it's a sitcom universe where things are going to be skewed and exaggerated in order to make us, the viewing audience, laugh and enjoy themselves. If these people are unable to suspend their disbelief in these situations and just enjoy the rollercoaster ride... well, that's a shame.

Not every joke is funny to everyone.  It is a shame that such a simple concept escapes you. 

• Like 1

Yep, they will have Penny and Sheldon get together.

The H/B squabble seemed like classic marriage sitcom material used since the days of Married With Children. Husband doesn't do what wife says, she retaliates and they continue to argue. Then they realize how petty they're being by seeing another couple arguing, reconcile, end of episode. Not exactly revolutionary scripting, but they modernized it with the Xbox, which was great writing.

I really think they're not just going to just have Alex appear with only Sheldon from now on. Probably just one more episode with part of the group, but it's definitely not over.

Alex maybe more attractive than Lucy, I don't think Micucci is an OGRE. She's definitely cute enough for Raj

So only "beautiful" actresses should be allowed to be love interests? What if some viewers find that Kunal isn't handsome enough to deserve this or that actress as a love interest?

A lot of what you've said above is just ugly and hateful.

I have said it myself..Kunal not handsome enough to get Alex. Heh it is my opinion.

I have said it myself..Kunal not handsome enough to get Alex. Heh it is my opinion.

This is Kunal's wife, a former Miss India.  Now what's this about him not being handsome enough to get Alex? 

For those who have not seen it, check out Chuck Lorre's Vanity Card shown after this episode.

http://www.chucklorr...index.php?p=408

This is 100% ground Chuck :icon_wink:

Wow, I am a guy, and not even a touchy feely type of guy,and I have to say I hope his wife/girlfriend whatever read that and said “Well A$$hole, you’re not getting lucky tonight”.

This along with what he did with the Penny character in previous seasons, kind of points the guy has issues.

• Like 1

This is Kunal's wife, a former Miss India.  Now what's this about him not being handsome enough to get Alex? 

And she looks like a shapeless ladder to me.Wonder how she became Miss India there are some super hot women in India.

Anyway as I said it is my opinion.Beauty is subjective.