The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

Quirks, Patterns And Consistencies I Have Noticed...

I wanted to open a thread that is dedicated to all the quirks, patterns and consistencies that we have noticed throughout the series.

Example: Penny knocks.  They may be creative and different all the time but the essence has always been there.  I've been watching s6 and its fun to see a new one with Sheldon's 'fist pumps' or lack there of.  We all know about Sheldon's spot and that's been played out since day one.  

I could post more but I wanted to open this up to others and discuss it.   :)

What else have you noticed?

Also what would you like to see?

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le
  • Like 1

There's not very many that you actually see, although we have quite a vast knowledge of Sheldon's schedule.

He's on his PC a lot of the time, I've noticed.

I feel like there should be better examples, but I really can't think of any others at the moment.

I suppose whenever Raj is alone in his apartment he's often watching Bollywood movies.

Sheldon has the thermostat at 72 degrees, all year round.

Leonard holds his head on the side, he's done that pretty consistently since day one.

Oh it is not a an inconsistency per se but when Sheldon and Leonard were discussing the Rebels building Death Stars that of course was inaccurate.

Urm thats a BIG error :icon_lol: and it was noticed on other boards and probably this one too, but I wasn't around then.

Wait, Sheldon didn't say the Rebels were building Death Stars. He said "Despite their (meaning the Empire) tendency to build Death Stars, I've always considered myself more of an Empire man". At least that's how I interpreted that sentence. 

Spook, agree. That's the way I understood that too. Made me smirk, because it is so Sheldony considering himself as a Man of the Empire because they always had the cooler stuff. And he always uses the Jedi-Mind thing in a not generous way   :icon_lol:

Wait, Sheldon didn't say the Rebels were building Death Stars. He said "Despite their (meaning the Empire) tendency to build Death Stars, I've always considered myself more of an Empire man". At least that's how I interpreted that sentence. 

Really? I always thought Sheldon messed that up. I never should have doubted him.

There is no way tptb would allow a HUGE mistake slip by.  That is why they hired David Saltzberg.

They still get things wrong. Maybe not to that magnitude but they did have Bernadette join the guys for Star Wars TOR and that game only supports 4 players not 5.

Really? I always thought Sheldon messed that up. I never should have doubted him.

I think it was just an awkwardly phrased sentence because right before that he says "I've never really identified myself as part of the Rebel Alliance" so you could interpret the "their tendency" as their = the RA, but I think what he meant was that even though the Empire build Death Stars (so they are the baddies) he still identifies with them the most. 

I think it was just an awkwardly phrased sentence because right before that he says "I've never really identified myself as part of the Rebel Alliance" so you could interpret the "their tendency" as their = the RA, but I think what he meant was that even though the Empire build Death Stars (so they are the baddies) he still identifies with them the most. 

Yeah I see that now. All this time I thought that line sounded off.

I'm always torn on the matter because Darth Vader and Han Solo are my favorite characters so I'm a mess if I had to pick. LOL. :p

I'm always torn on the matter because Darth Vader and Han Solo are my favorite characters so I'm a mess if I had to pick. LOL. :p

I bet Han Solo is the better kisser......    grmpf

They still get things wrong. Maybe not to that magnitude but they did have Bernadette join the guys for Star Wars TOR and that game only supports 4 players not 5.

Oh no!  What a crime! sarcasm1-1_zpscc0dbfb5.gif

• Like 1

Hey, Saltzberg takes care of the science stuff, not the science-fiction stuff. :)

Krys pointed out one interesting new addition to Sheldon's quirks - his hand-shake in place of fist-pumping. They're making it a thing, in this season.

His sentence was very correctly worded--because he was starting a new sentence.  Although ordinarily the pronoun "their" would refer to the last-referenced proper noun, in this case the Rebel Alliance, it is also proper to use the pronoun in place of the proper noun that is named later in the sentence, especially because the phrase leading up to it, "tendency to build death stars", clearly relates to the Empire.

He could have said it the other way around--"I've always considered myself more of an Empire man, despite their tendency to build Death Stars", but the impact would have been lost.

Since the desired greater impact was to have him say that he considered himself more of an Empire man, that had to be at the end of the sentence, so the other phrase came first.

It's still proper grammar, just a stylistic choice to achieve the greatest impact (and the joke.)

I never knew that anyone had ever thought that his comment about building Death Stars referred to the Rebels.  Huh.

About Sheldon's triple knock--does anyone know when it actually first appeared?

I know that there was one 1st season episode where he knocked 4 times--"knock-knock-knock-knock, Leonard", but I can't remember off the top of my head which episode it was.  I assume it was after that that they went to the triple knock.

But in the Big Bran episode when Leonard makes Sheldon go across the hall and apologize for going into Penny's apartment, he doesn't do the triple knock.

I love Sheldon's pajama sets.and the fact that he ties his robe in a big bow, kind of high on his waist.  Don't know why that cracks me up.

Sheldon has so many quirks its hard to keep up sometimes, but I do notice he's not repeating same phases as much as he use to like take tonight for example when Leonard called Sheldon "a crazy bastard"  I was expecting like so many times in past for Sheldon to say his classic "I'm not crazy my mother had me tested."  But instead he just repeated what Leonard said.   He also hasn't said "Bazinga" this season yet if I recall correctly.  But, he still does the knocking which is great and that thing where if someone cuts him off from saying a phase three times, he always finishes it like last week when Kripke cut him off when he was say NOBEL NOBEL....he still had to finish with the third and Last NOBEL before continuing on.  Sheldon has best quirks on show IMO.  But, I think they all have some cute ones.

Amy:  She is always talking about monkeys monkeys monkeys lol

Bernadette:  She does this thing where she switches from being really sweet and cutesy to taking charge and sounding badass in less than 10 seconds its pretty cool. 

Howard:  "Always making jokes about being Jewish or about his mom's weight.

Raj -  With all his stereotypical gay guy comments he says those a lot or talking about his own weight and feeling fat.

Penny -  She does this thing where she opens her eyes up SUPER WIDE and big like this :icon_eek:  whenever somebody says something that shocks her like she did it last week when Sheldon said its possiblity he'd have sleep with Amy someday and this week when Leonard mentioned  coming to live with her.  I expect one day her eyes are going to get so big they will take over her entire face lol

Leonard - Does this pouty thing with his lip a lot whenever Sheldon says something that kind of annoys him he pouts out his lip like a disapproving monkey lol 

Stuart - always complains about how hard it is to run a Comic book store.

So far these are main patterns i've noticed, but there are plenty more I'm sure.

Edited by Superlovelexi

Despite the lack of a Bazinga so far this season, inconsistencies have been at a minimum since season 2. Pattern-wise, I would like to find the point Bernadette became so hilarious and Amy's quirks shrunk exponentialy since her first appearance....