So Why Are You Still Watching The Show?

Ar Diem

This is for everyone but it is especially for those of us who liked earlier seasons better to post positive things about the show.

So I will start.

Sheldon.  Even if he is not a pure as he once was he is still one of the funniest characters on an active series.  Jim Parsons can be funnier than the script he has been handed and that is not an easy task.

Lenny.  I know I dog this relationship because they took something I really liked and made me like it less.  I am still invested in seeing it through.   I still like most of their scenes together and I wish the show had time for more of them.

Penny.  She is the true underdog now and I am rooting for her to achieve something more.

Howard and Raj.  This one may surprise those of you who have seen me try and spin Howard and Bernadette off the show but Howard and Raj together and within the group still make for some good TV most of the time.

Raj.  I hate the idea of giving him a full-time girlfriend but I really want to see him get fixed.  I care about his character.

Amy and Penny.  While they have dialed back the lesbian humor I am hoping it makes a return.  I also hope the Amy Skype ambushes return.  Those were solid gold.

Whether I think the show is not as funny as it was earlier it still delivers a lot of comedy.  I am still laughing at the line where Amy said she passed out at a frat party and woke up with more clothes on.  There are still plenty of gems in most of the scripts.

• Like 1

I'm watching for the brilliantly funny scripts: the wonderful game night of The Re-entry Minimization where all 4 actors had me roaring. Having Leonard and Amy take off their glasses to find Waldo was sublime, Penny wrestling with Sheldon - brilliant. 

Amy, hysterical when she asked in choked tones ; do you want to spank me?

Howard & Raj back together again, funnier than ever, spying on Sheldon's time in the closet with priceless scientific equipment. The return of Kripke in all his iwwesistable glowy....

Penny, total underdog, but then she puts on her black nerd glasses and I live in hope...

Raj, I love him, care about him too, he was touching with Amy at the bar.

• Like 2

I love where the show is going. Still as entertaining as ever! Maybe not for all, but I am still in love with the show.

Penny - I would like to see a movie career for her character. A breakout role that she always wanted.

Penny/Leonard - I like to see if they'll end up together or not.

Raj - A GIRLFRIEND for Raj. I don't see him staying single forever. There will be that special one.

Shamy - I don't know how far this will go, but I can see their relationship developing nicely.

Howard/Bernie - A baby! 

I've got a thing for Sheldon. :icon_lol:

... and I love they way the characters speak to each other, the interplay between them. The subjects they talk about, the science I don't understand and their nerdiness.They feel like old friends but not in a "Friends" type way. They are much less realistic than normal sitcom characters. Its almost a cartoon, if you know what I mean. And even though there have been changes there's still enough of the oddness there for me to like it.

And even though there is stuff I don't always like, I find it difficult to step away. The show gets under your skin, even when it disappoints. Its almost an addiction to keep watching... or a touch of masochism. :icon_cheesygrin::icon_neutral:

Edited by Moonbase

I watch it because of the chemisty between the characters. The four boys seem like they are still connected with eachother, which can usually fade in long tv series. Penny is unbelievable and brings normality to the show, which usually would bring bordem, but her jokes are so well scripted and delivered, she is one of the high points of my watch. But the very top reason is the banter between sheldon and Leonard and the development between there characters, the sarcastic comments from leonard, the constant but inocent let downs from sheldon, they both compliment eachother so well.

Honestly... I'm invested in the characters & I want to see where they're going. I really don't like the whole Friends 2.0 vibe that's going on, but it's like when I used to smoke cigarettes... I knew they weren't good, but I couldn't simply stop (I eventually quit cold turkey). To be honest, this new season (6) is pretty damned funny. I don't take the show as seriously or find it "special" like I used to, but it's still a good show.

Edited by Anomaly

Easy answer first: `cause I`m a fan!

Other reasons:

Sheldon Cooper. He´s my favourite character of the show.

Shamy -> So beautiful and sweet these two! I wanna see how they develop!

Penny & Leonard:  my favourite couple since the first episode and now they´re talking after they had a little fight instead of  slaming  the door and not talking to each other for days.

Bernadette & Howard :  Howard grew so much because of her.

Mrs Wolowitz : Can´t get enough of her voice *LOL* :icon_lol:

Raj : I wanna see when he`ll overcome his selective mutism forever (or he just learns how to do sign language -> Howard can teach him )

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

I watch it because I love the characters and I want to see what's going to happen next.

I love the journey that they're all on and how they deal with whatever challenges they face, either professionally or personally.

I love that even though they may all have dust-ups between them over various things, in the end they all care about each other and deal with each other's weaknesses and failings and draw on each other's strengths.

And they're generally very likable characters to watch--they're not hateful, they're not scuzzy, they're not cruel.  They all have weaknesses and vulnerabilities and they all ultimately look out for and take care of each other.

And it's just dang funny!

• Like 1

I am one who thinks the show is getting better! Seasons 1-3 were great. Season 4 was not that bad but the Pria story line wasn't that great. However seasons 5 & 6 have been just as good as the other seasons in my opinion.

I like how the characters are growing or not growing. I think the addition of Amy and Bernadette has really helped the show grow. I like the fact that Sheldon is slowly changing but that he is still Sheldon. I like Penny & leonard Part II. The first time they were together I felt they lacked chemistry. Now I feel they do match each other well. Howard was/is dominated by his mother, the fact that his wife now dominates him is funny! As a therapist I am well aware of the theories which say we often marry someone that reminds us of one of our parents and I am glad to see that acted out in this show.

So I watch the show still because I love the premise, I love the characters and want to see what happens to them and I want to see them grow and change. The scripts are still funny and it makes me laugh.

Edited by BillF63

I am one who thinks the show is getting better! Seasons 1-3 were great. Season 4 was not that bad but the Pria story line wasn't that great. However seasons 5 & 6 have been just as good as the other seasons in my opinion.

I like how the characters are growing or not growing. I think the addition of Amy and Bernadette has really helped the show grow. I like the fact that Sheldon is slowly changing but that he is still Sheldon. I like Penny & leonard Part II. The first time they were together I felt they lacked chemistry. Now I feel they do match each other well. Howard was/is dominated by his mother, the fact that his wife now dominates him is funny! As a therapist I am well aware of the theories which say we often marry someone that reminds us of one of our parents and I am glad to see that acted out in this show.

So I watch the show still because I love the premise, I love the characters and want to see what happens to them and I want to see them grow and change. The scripts are still funny and it makes me laugh.

It's all a matter of taste. Like I said, I do find the current season to be very funny. I just don't find it to be as good of a show as it used to be. The stories that are currently being told, have been told countless times in the same manner. TBBT used to be quirky, intelligent & unique. Now, it's very much a typical, Hollywood sit-com. It's funny, but a dumbed-down kind of funny that seems to be aimed at a much more generalized audience than it used to be. It's not that I'm stuck in the show's past, but as I said, I look at it as the unique sit-com it once was vs the been there, done that sit-com that it's become. I guess a lot of people prefer typical?

• Like 1

Chemistry, interplay, the Leonard and Penny story... Just such an intelligent show and although there are some things lost as the series' evolved, overall I think still getting better and better. Favourite show ever is The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis

... I guess a lot of people prefer typical?

Is that an axiom, or a truism? :)

In this vein,some might say the show is a victim of its own success.

But the show is just exceeding its initial performance envelope IMHO. Like that tweak of the coke bottle waist that enabled some t series fighter in the 50s to exceed the speed of sound by a minor but crucial physical change.( area rule law?). The show was not designed for the boutique market. Its becoming what it intended to be.

Again, imvho.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

I almost completely agree with anomaly. The show isn't as intelligent or as unique as it used to be in Seasons 1-4 for me, but there are a number of reasons why I still watch it. Would I be watching it if I had tuned in in Seasons 5-6? Definitely. It'd probably be more of a regular TV show that I watch rather than a near obsession like now, however. Season 6, as Anomaly said, has been excellent and a vast improvement over Season 5. I'm always revisiting Seasons 1-4 on DVD (currently on Season 3, Episode 18 for the 10th time), so enough of my whining and here are the many positives currently on the show:

Sheldon - still a brilliant, unique character and integral to the show, although he's clearly changed (voice, hairstyle, less science, uses his windbreaker almost all of the time etc).

Lenny and Sheldon - I used to really enjoy the Leonard and Penny relationship with Sheldon as the third wheel, and it's been back since the middle of Season 5.

Howard and Raj - great, funny scenes containing these two. They, especially Howard, have provided a larger proportion of the humour in Season 6 than in previous Seasons.

Amy (and Shamy) - I really like Amy's character, especially the Season 4 version. I also liked the Season 4 version of Shamy. Nevertheless, I can't help but find Season 6 Shamy intriguing, especially after the episode where Amy faked her illness.

Edited by viddy9

Is that an axiom, or a truism? :)

In this vein,some might say the show is a victim of its own success.

I can agree with that. As the show became popular, the people behind it wanted it to become even more popular (nothing wrong with that). Unfortunately, the way they went about it was to homogenize the show in order to appeal to a bigger, but more generalized audience. Everything that made the show great is still there, but has been greatly watered down so that everyone gets it and can be entertained by it. As I said, it's no longer a great show. It's just a better than average, typical sit-com.

• Like 3

I can agree with that. As the show became popular, the people behind it wanted it to become even more popular (nothing wrong with that). Unfortunately, the way they went about it was to homogenize the show in order to appeal to a bigger, but more generalized audience. Everything that made the show great is still there, but has been greatly watered down so that everyone gets it and can be entertained by it. As I said, it's no longer a great show. It's just a better than average, typical sit-com.

I am regularly demonized for making this comment.

Because it is funny as frack! I have a good time watching it and I really like to enjoy myself. 

I love the characters, the chemistry, the romance stuff and the awkwardness, even love the fighting. Sheldon was my favourite character from the beginning, he got me hooked up with the show in first place. And I like the development.

• Like 1

Because it is funny as frack! I have a good time watching it and I really like to enjoy myself. 

I love the characters, the chemistry, the romance stuff and the awkwardness, even love the fighting. Sheldon was my favourite character from the beginning, he got me hooked up with the show in first place. And I like the development.

This ^^ right here! (And you used the word Frack too.)

• Like 1