What Science Topics Would You Like To See On The Show?

Science geeks come to me! 

I know there are a lot of us on the boards, so I wanted to have a discussion about what science topics you would like to see covered in the show.

I've mentioned many a time I would love for the Shamy to work on a neural network project together. :)

I would also like to see Howard build something really cool, I loved when he got to "borrow" the mechanical hand for the Space Station and generally any time he messes around with techy stuff. I wish we could see more of that. 

• Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know most of the so called science on this show is just science trivia. Also stuff on their white boards is many times just unrelated junk. I would like to see them do something real that is fun

Yes they are Tesla Coils, but I was wondering if the image was from an old monster movie, where they used them a lot.   Turns out it's a photo of Tesla in his lab.  

Science geeks come to me!    I know there are a lot of us on the boards, so I wanted to have a discussion about what science topics you would like to see covered in the show.   I've mentioned many

I absolutely support the idea of Sheldon and Amy working together on neural networks. Such a bonding opportunity for two great minds! And he did work with Beverly on a neuroscience project, adding a physics angle to it.

Other than that, I'm happy to get what I ask for, mostly. This season I wanted a Higgs mention, and we got it early on. Last season I had wanted a reference to faster-than-light neutrinos (I'd actually written to Saltzberg asking for it), and we got a priceless sentence about it, which became providential because the FTL observation did eventually turn out to have more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. :p

I'd like more references to Howard and the Mars Rover, since there's a lot of excitement going on about the mission in real life.

I love Spooks idea of Howard building stuff! I forget how much he has done already, he would definitely be the coolest one of the characters to know.

An episode where he builds something to improve their everyday lives. Then all the guys want to get involved and keep adding to it until it gets so huge its takes over most of the apartment. Causing fights and divisions of territory and eventually has to be dismantled.

Its sort of sciency... 

Oh that'd be hilarious if he built some sort of robot to take care of the cleaning or whatever but then it turns into something impossible to control and manage and stars becoming really obnoxious. Sheldon might want to use it to enforce the Roommate Agreement but then the robot gets so pedantic that even Sheldon can't take it anymore. haha! 

Oh that'd be hilarious if he built some sort of robot to take care of the cleaning or whatever but then it turns into something impossible to control and manage and stars becoming really obnoxious. Sheldon might want to use it to enforce the Roommate Agreement but then the robot gets so pedantic that even Sheldon can't take it anymore. haha! 

:icon_lol:  ... and they have to build another robot to take it down.

• Like 1

hahaha omg! we need to pitch this idea to TPTB! 

(and congratulations to me for my 1000th post. now if only I could type as fast on my thesis)

• Like 2

I'm loving the Sheldonesque robot idea. :icon_mrgreen: There should be fan-fic about this stuff too, it could be hilarious.

Kiru - so I'm guessing you liked Pants Alternative, whence Sheldon went nuts with the Elements song? :)

Spook - congrats on 1000 very nice posts!

Guys, I have to confess. I've been a fan of the show since season 1, but I know nothing about science. I didn't have that many opportunities to take scientific classes back in school, and I don' t really have a math brain...so, I don't think I can really contribute to this discussion. I like to read your opinions, though.  :)  The robot one is good!! :)

Also, we have seen Howard achieve a lot, and I'm really happy about this, but now I think is the other guys' turn to succeed in something. I don't know exactly how...I just want them all to succeed and have brilliant careers!! :)

Not a scientist but interested. I want Leonard to be working on pure science. Not military applications, please. Gratified that he dissed laser missile shields and they cranked him back to remote hair removal. Pick some big topics - maybe more cosmology discussions in the lunchroom. Amy can drag in a Dawkins reference - and discuss consciousness. What about stem cells and Bernadette? Climate science someone? Have Howard model a lofstrom loop. So many choices. Anthropology lies waiting, Dr Hofstadter snr.

If i could have one thing, maybe they mention we all are made of star stuff - describe big bang, stellar and supernovae nucleosynthesis (I think that's real). That would blow Penny's mind with wonder and she'd love it.

Help, real scientists.

• Like 1

I'd love to see some calculations, on the whiteboards, about the orbital decay of binary pulsars, gravitational lensing of quasars by nearer galaxies, and the Feynman diagrams and QM calculations for the two loop photon correction.

Amy/Sheldon's mother/Dawkins .... that's an accident waiting to happen. :icon_lol:

I think the guys should get one of these...

teslacoil.jpg

Convict13 posted a video of Tesla Coils being used as musical instruments it was amazing. No amplification necessary just microprocessors and a few coils.

@ Tensor I wouldn't know it if I saw it, but it sounds great. :)

• Like 2

Weren't there Feynman diagrams in the last ep? 

That thing looks so cool Moonbase! And speaking of instruments, didn't someone mention a laser harp a while ago? 

eta: Oh sorry Tensor, you meant diagrams for the loop photon correction, I thought the "and" was two separate things.

Edited by spook

I'd love to see some calculations, on the whiteboards, about the orbital decay of binary pulsars, gravitational lensing of quasars by nearer galaxies, and the Feynman diagrams and QM calculations for the two loop photon correction.

I also want them to say this...

I am not necessarily into science to the extreme you guys are but i think its refreshing that a television show as popular TBBT doesnt forget about science as a central point of the show, it could easily just focus on the comedy and the relationships.

• Like 1

As I chemist I'm very distraught at the lack of representation of my SUPERIOR science on the show ( :p )

So.

More elements, properties, compounds and famous reactions plz!

They could have someone attempt some chemistry but have it go wrong because it's not their discipline.

SideEffectsHideous.jpg

You might notice, I don't have much on today. :icon_redface:

Edited by Moonbase

They could have someone attempt some chemistry but have it go wrong because it's not their discipline.

SideEffectsHideous.jpg

You might notice, I don't have much on today. :icon_redface:

Lol that reminds me of Bernadette's drugs in Fish Gut. "But it may make your tears burn like acid, so if you take it... happy thoughts!" lol.

Lots of good suggestions.  I would like to see science that the audience would turn around and do at home to see if it actually works... namely science bar tricks.  Have the guys teach some to Penny to help her get better tips when she is tending bar.  They are entertaining and the science is approachable.