The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.18 The Contractual Obligation Implementation (Mar. 7)

Your Episode Rating  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I just can't stop looking at the gifs of Howard taking his shirt off. That face just cracks me up every time.

I agree with phantagrae that this damaged girl might be exactly what Raj needs to break out of his mutism if it's triggered his feelings of inferiority or intimidation by women.  

I agree with phantagrae that this damaged girl might be exactly what Raj needs to break out of his mutism if it's triggered his feelings of inferiority or intimidation by women.  

I am still hoping that when she is alone with him she gets crazy and maybe just scares the mutism out of him.  I am sure they will probably go the safe and boring route though.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

the episode sounded so good in theory, but I really didn't like it much. Like with Speckerman Recurrence, the girls ended up saving the episode from being a complete and utter-disaster (complete disaster = cruciferous vegetable)

I like Lucy okay, I think Kate is doing a great job with her, and for the people saying it makes them unconfortable because she's so awkward... well, she's supposed to be, so she's doing her job well then! having said that, the date could have been done better. I think I found the voiceover thing weird.

funniest scene was undoubtedly Howard's reaction to Berni'es outfit,. I'm still laughing. but all in all, just an OK episode.

Lucy doesn't make me uncomfortable she really doesn't make me anything yet.  If this was her last episode I wouldn't miss her going forward.  I think the texting killed the comedy and couple chemistry.  At the end I don't know if she wanted to kiss Raj because she felt it or because she was pushing herself.

I am very meh about her and them as a couple as of right now.

I think her being awkward the way she is, is really lazy as far as character design. I am hoping they make her a lot more interesting going forward if she is going to hang around.

I'm one of those old-timers who has watched TBBT from its first
minute and I don't mind the changes, especially this season. It has been
generally great, deserving all the accolades its receiving in the
press.

But here is my take on the

last episode. It seems as if "Contract" was an attempt to remind the
viewers about the earlier characterization of the original 5 while
showing the changes in Amy and Bernadette. The tone seemed a bit off.
This is what I saw:

- Leonard was his old mother-damaged self, lacking in self confidence and wollowing in self-pity (season 2).

-
Sheldon was mature and seemed to be in command. His suggestion on how
to approach the subject of getting females into the sciences and cool
pivot in the classroom to call Amy and Bernadette when Leonard and
Howard went off the rails, reminded us once again of the genius he
supposely is. We haven't seen that since he led the conference "Love
Car".

- Howard was once again the little geeky loser,
butt of jokes and intimadated by even middle schoolers. This was the
Pre-Bernadette Howard.

- Raj, well, he still can't even
talk to a girl who has social phobias worst then his. This is now
beyond not funny, though the texting date idea was clever.

-
Penny. Wow, just when you think they have fully resurrected her image,
she is placed back into the gutter she was thrown in during season 4. I
thought it was telling that they had the other characters look at her
with surprise as she recounted her slutty stories as jokes, based on
actually events. She only wanted to go to Disneyland to get drunk and
ride the rides? She went from being the commander of the "Girl Posse" to
being threathen by the pint-sized Bernadette.

The evil
Bernadette is funny and we are seeing more of this. But calling her
friends "bitches" and offering to fight Penny for an off-hand comment
about wanting to be Cinderella, pushed this to a cringe-worthy edge. So
the sweet little Catholic girl is now completely gone?

Amy
showed off her season changes this episode. She was allowed to actually
look beautiful, as was Bernadette and no defference to Penny at all.
Noticed that Penny looked as bad in that ill-filling Princess dress and
unkempt hair as the other girls looked lovely. Amy was allowed to call
herself "Dr. Fowler", something I don't remember her saying before. Amy
seemed her own person not that Sheldon would notice.

I'm
going to believe that this episode was an aberration as far as
characterization were concerned. It's almost as if all the changes that
we have seen this season must have triggered a response in the writting
staff to revist the character sheet to remind the viewers of what was
suppose to be at the core of each character.

• Like 1

I'm one of those old-timers who has watched TBBT from its first

minute and I don't mind the changes, especially this season. It has been

generally great, deserving all the accolades its receiving in the

press.

But here is my take on the

last episode. It seems as if "Contract" was an attempt to remind the

viewers about the earlier characterization of the original 5 while

showing the changes in Amy and Bernadette. The tone seemed a bit off.

This is what I saw:

- Leonard was his old mother-damaged self, lacking in self confidence and wollowing in self-pity (season 2).

-

Sheldon was mature and seemed to be in command. His suggestion on how

to approach the subject of getting females into the sciences and cool

pivot in the classroom to call Amy and Bernadette when Leonard and

Howard went off the rails, reminded us once again of the genius he

supposely is. We haven't seen that since he led the conference "Love

Car".

- Howard was once again the little geeky loser,

butt of jokes and intimadated by even middle schoolers. This was the

Pre-Bernadette Howard.

- Raj, well, he still can't even

talk to a girl who has social phobias worst then his. This is now

beyond not funny, though the texting date idea was clever.

-

Penny. Wow, just when you think they have fully resurrected her image,

she is placed back into the gutter she was thrown in during season 4. I

thought it was telling that they had the other characters look at her

with surprise as she recounted her slutty stories as jokes, based on

actually events. She only wanted to go to Disneyland to get drunk and

ride the rides? She went from being the commander of the "Girl Posse" to

being threathen by the pint-sized Bernadette.

The evil

Bernadette is funny and we are seeing more of this. But calling her

friends "bitches" and offering to fight Penny for an off-hand comment

about wanting to be Cinderella, pushed this to a cringe-worthy edge. So

the sweet little Catholic girl is now completely gone?

Amy

showed off her season changes this episode. She was allowed to actually

look beautiful, as was Bernadette and no defference to Penny at all.

Noticed that Penny looked as bad in that ill-filling Princess dress and

unkempt hair as the other girls looked lovely. Amy was allowed to call

herself "Dr. Fowler", something I don't remember her saying before. Amy

seemed her own person not that Sheldon would notice.

I'm

going to believe that this episode was an aberration as far as

characterization were concerned. It's almost as if all the changes that

we have seen this season must have triggered a response in the writting

staff to revist the character sheet to remind the viewers of what was

suppose to be at the core of each character.

BangerMain, I, too, have watched since the first minute. My comment was that the writers were lazy and reverted to the old jokes for cheap laughs. But you have made a good point. The writers may have been targeting the newer audiences who came aboard after the shows were syndicated to give back story. So I guess the loyal fans are just attached to the another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis..

• Like 2

Considering how good this season has been, a weak one is to be expected, especially right about now in the season. I suspect this is a filler episode in that they've plotted out the end of season arc, and needed one more episode to fill the contract. This could have been popped in almost at any point except for the Raj plot line. Speckerman was probably the same sort of thing last season. I think they wrote the finale, worked backwards and needed a spacer.

Cute, shy Penny is great, and really closer to the Penny of the first couple of seasons. I loved that in the Valentine's episode. Slutty, drunk Penny is not really true to the earlier character. They used to make her drinking appropriate and funny, like in the first appearance of Leonard's mother, or in the Jiminy Conjecture. I hope they are not setting it up to embarrass Leonard at some point.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Considering how good this season has been, a weak one is to be expected, especially right about now in the season. I suspect this is a filler episode in that they've plotted out the end of season arc, and needed one more episode to fill the contract. This could have been popped in almost at any point except for the Raj plot line. Speckerman was probably the same sort of thing last season. I think they wrote the finale, worked backwards and needed a spacer.

Cute, shy Penny is great, and really closer to the Penny of the first couple of seasons. I loved that in the Valentine's episode. Slutty, drunk Penny is not really true to the earlier character. They used to make her drinking appropriate and funny, like in the first appearance of Leonard's mother, or in the Jiminy Conjecture. I hope they are not setting it up to embarrass Leonard at some point.

agree, after Sweeps, a filler episode was to be expected, except for the Raj storyline it was all filler.

Edited by Sursonica

Maybe that's why they called it the 'Contractual Obligation Implementation' though I'd rather they'd done a better job on a throw away.

• Like 4

Maybe that's why they called it the 'Contractual Obligation Implementation' though I'd rather they'd done a better job on a throw away.

It would not bother me as much except that I have been pretty bored with the show lately.  Raj at Howard's mother is probably my biggest laugh since parking spot.

Well, that was pretty average. Not much to say really, it just had no sparkle.

My favourite line was Sheldon's "Hello female children" and that was about it.

• Like 1

Saw it just now. My belated response: I'm going to be the odd one out here and say that I really enjoyed this episode. It felt pleasant to me, on many counts, even if uneventful. I found myself grinning all the way through it, if not laughing all that much.

The theme of the A-story was interesting to me, and I thought they played it pretty well. I was afraid they could have got more sexist with it, and I'm glad they didn't; the issue is one close to Mayim's heart, so I think they may have reigned in from saying anything potentially offensive about it, if only in deference to her. What I really liked was that Sheldon was at his mature, professional best here, for a change; he was the one who suggested influencing middle-school girls, and thought of calling up 'brilliant scientists' Amy and Bernadette when things were getting out of hand. That's not a side of him we get to see too often, and it pleases me. I noticed that he was the only one who got a clap from the kids, when he pointed out that they had been discouraged from science right then. :)

I also enjoyed the Raj/Lucy date. Not because of the punny jokes, for which I was already spoiled; but I thought they were sweet together, and really looked like they were enjoying each other's company. It was nice to see Raj looking so happy, for once. And honestly, the idea of a texting picnic in a library sounds super-cool and romantic to me. :p I hope Lucy stays around, at least for a while - it seems to me that they're going to be good for each other, with their respective personality issues.

I didn't care for Penny's slut jokes; too overdone now, and one of the things I wish they'd move away from. Leonard in the classroom made me laugh with all his antics and clumsy attempts to sound cool.. Johnny was good. :) His slipping into whining memory lane felt like same old, a bit, but I didn't mind it much because it was continuity with his character. I guess the ghosts of his childhood are never going to leave him completely.

I know nothing about Disney princesses; I'll give it to Amy and Bernadette that they looked pretty. Again, the play on female scientists versus norms of feminine behavior was interesting.

Howard's horsey was hilarious, but I'm just highly satisfied that Sheldon remained aloof and didn't respond in that way to the made-up prettiness. Very nice counterpoint. And his little sing-song 'heard you the first time' did sound so affectionate, almost flirtatious in a Sheldonesque way. :)

Last but not the least, 'how do I get 12-year old girls excited' still made the episode for me, as far as funny goes. :icon_lol:

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 2

Some minutia after a second round

Amy checking her lipstick in the little mirror on her lipstick case was a display of completely high order masterclass "girl". She is no novice now.

The princess irony was really deep. I see a feminist subtext in this one and lots of isms being referenced and mocked. But I didn't recognise Penny's princess - anyone?

If it was a flat episode then they nailed the title (but TBBT is like pizza and particle accelerators).

Bernadette is now into cosplay so a turnaround from her introduction. Could be growth rather than writing - she and her astronautie hottie do click.

Penny has a seriously unfortunate past - skipping school(?) for a 34yo Luther (could they give him a more loaded name?). Not so funny now, goes to real issues. But maybe explains a lot.  Also the clue in the the "Streetcar" speech. "...much too much completely..." etc. I think this is trying to give the answers people have asked about her sexual life. She is not being fixed but is slowly mending.

Why did Raj have to cheapen the sweet moment? Damn.

• Like 1

Raj and his new GF was a painfull scence to watch.  Could they make her any more screwed up!

Penny is suppose to be Sleeping Beauty....

Arrgghhhh. The worst princess ever. I hated  really dislike that one. Doormat... and stupid too. No wonder Penny was unimpressed.

(I dont like to use the "h" word but Disney's Sleeping Beauty is so wrong.. Go read Sherri S Teppers Beauty.

• Beauty (Doubleday, 1991) (Revised UK edition is author's preferred text) -- Locus Award winner, 1992[3]

Then pause and reflect)

Edited by Llatasativargon

Back to bad Penny!   Some consistency please, I would say worse episode of Season 6, hardly laughed at all.

So I just saw the episode and wanted to wait to read everyones reviews till after so if what I say has been said I apologize...

Overall I found this to be a very "meh" kind of episode.  The guys stuff was okay, the girls fell flat, and i thought the Raj scenes were mediocre at best.  Seriously, something should have been done about his mutism by now... we're pushing seven years come on already.

I actually kind of liked the guys storyline.  It was interesting and certainly had comedic potential.  I mean the whole Leonard was neglected as a child story has been done but it was still amusing.  His little free style was one of the few moments that made me laugh.  Sheldon was too as always rather fun to watch talk to little girls.  "Hello female students" or whatever he says.

The girls story seemed very rushed which I guess makes sense when they only have 20 minutes but i really didn't like the three stories in one episode ordeal.  Also whats up with Bernadette??? Are we just gonna see her fly off the handle every episode now because we saw positive feedback the first couple times she got mad?

Not only that and I know I mentioned it when the taping for this episode came out but is it really necessary to throw in a little "Penny's a slut" line (or in this case 3) every episode???  It would be one thing if they were actually funny, or amusing, or enjoyable to listen too but at this point its not only getting annoying its pushing creepy... I mean a 34 year old guy and a teenager?  That actually had me saying WTF.  Also, I felt like she really wasn't into the whole makeover thing, and Aurora certainly wasn't a good choice for her.  I mean for the character who has cared most about her appearance all show and is always showing the most skin, to cover her entierly in that pink fabric seemed not only out of character but just weird.  I mean Bernadette's cinderella dress seemed more like something Penny would wear.

Raj, Raj, Raj... I don't really know what to say here.  He's probably the character I care the least about seeing grow but I still want some kind of success for him.  I mean we are closing in on the end of season 6 and he is no closer to being cured than the pilot.  I have no real opinion of Lucy yet so I'll hold my judgements on her, hopefully the two broken pieces will fit together nicely.

My last issue with the episode was the last scene.  I mean i get the cheap sex jokes with Howard ripping his shirt off and Leonard dropping trou but I feel like after all the characters have gone through and grown this season it seemed like they were showing us these couples were together for more than sex and yet that's a big part of what we see..

IDK I'm hoped up on pain meds for my ankle and kinda out of it right now so I may be seeing things differently than others.  Sorry this was long, I'm stuck inside and bored...

• Like 1

For me the funniest scene was the last one.

But my question is:

Are there guys having hot fantasies with the Disney princess in real life?? I am asking only for curiousity, not judging of course...you know, we girls like princes so...

Was there a meaning behind the girls as a princess? And, why it triggered Leonard and Howard horny button?

Maybe that's why they called it the 'Contractual Obligation Implementation' 

lol

A better title would have been "The Awkwardness Implementation"

Remember when Penny called her friend/relative "whore of omaha" for sleeping around in season 1 .... I guess she is also a contender for that title.....

Edited by vasu

Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten a non-native fan? What the heck is Chuck talking about in this ep's vanity card?

There will be no vanity card this week due to the sequester. Until such time that federal funding is restored for subliminal verbiage, we have no choice but to pull together as a nation and make do with the liminal. Or should I say... Liminal.

Thx.