The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Episode 2.23 (May 11th) [Season Finale]

CBS has not yet announced the episode, but has revealed some spoilers:

On the season finale Penny & Leonard reconsider their feelings for each other, as Leonard plans to go on a 3 month expedition.

"The Monopolar Expedition" - Penny is conflicted when Leonard and his friends decide to spend the summer working - at the North Pole, on the second season finale of THE BIG BANG THEORY, Monday, May 11 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Just watched the episode. What a delightful way to end the season! I'll avoid spoilers for now, partly because I'm still wrapping my soft little heart around Penny's last line. But here are a few of the other bits that I really enjoyed: - Mrs Wolowitz and Raj's parents arguing via cell phone and video chat - Sheldon's "pranks" - the way Penny played her interactions with Leonard, communicating her emotions with subtle facial expressions which of course he doesn't catch ... or does he? - the way the layout of the polar science station corresponded to the layout of the apartment, right down to Sheldon's "spot" - Penny's last line. Sorry, won't say a word. But oh ... I'll add to the wiki soon, after a respectable delay to avoid spoilers. Steve

OMG JUST LOVED IT *----------------------------------* I CAN'T BELIEVE I'LL HAVE TO WAIT 3 MONTHS >_< and I also can't believe what I'm about to say, but I kinda liked penny's last line *-------* it was so cute \o/ and I loved the: *knock knock knock* Penny *knock knock knock* Sheldon *knock knock knock* Penny *knock knock knock* Sheldon *knock knock knock* Penny *knock knock knock* Sheldon *knock knock knock* Penny! *knock knock knock* Sheldon! *knock knock knock* PENNY!!!! *knock knock knock* SHELDON!!! just hilarious XDDD

Yeah, and the knock thing! I forgot about that! Not as spectacular an episode as, say, Bath Item Gift Hypothesis, but really fun. A good ending for the second season. Honestly, though, I can't imagine those four guys managing to survive in the Arctic alone together for three months. Seriously. Steve

I loved Penny's line at the end!!! :D :D :D So cute! I hope next season, its Penny's turn to pine!! Its only fair!

Okay, I watched the finale a few times now. And have to comment. First, it was a bit anticlimactic how it ended, to me. Don't get me wrong, I love Leonard and Penny eventually being together, but I think the show finally removed the 'hidden' feelings of the two. Leonard doesn't want to interfere with Penny's life, and Penny doesn't want to interfere with Leonard's life. But, she's not ready to admit she likes him. She dated him, and her insecurity of not be smart did a lot to slow things down. She'd rather have him as a friend than have the relationship possibly go bad. Leonard, as smart as he is, is clueless. He knows something is there, gnawing at the back of his mind, but he can't grasp his hands around it. I just hope when season 3 starts, they don't jump into a relationship. My thought, is it will go one of two ways: The guys come back to find that Penny has 'moved on' and gotten serious with another guy, or They come back, and Leonard brings it up, and Penny denies it. Again, not wanting to 'settle' (or as she put it, is in a relationship for 'light years'), and just longs for him from afar. She doesn't want to have a fling with him, because she always has flings. But she doesn't want to settle. So, sexual tension ensues, and we've had a role reversal. Either way, can't wait for Season 3 to start. Or for Season 2 to come out on DVD. And yes, Waffles, I loved Penny's last line. Finally expressing something she's hidden since she told Leonard they should 'slow down'.

I just hope when season 3 starts, they don't jump into a relationship. My thought, is it will go one of two ways:

The guys come back to find that Penny has 'moved on' and gotten serious with another guy, or

They come back, and Leonard brings it up, and Penny denies it. Again, not wanting to 'settle' (or as she put it, is in a relationship for 'light years'), and just longs for him from afar. She doesn't want to have a fling with him, because she always has flings. But she doesn't want to settle.

well actually, this IS what's going to happen xD one of the guys in the cast (can't remember with one, but I think it was jimmy) said this is the plan for season 3

Wait, which one? Option 1 or Option 2? Honestly, not sure which I'd like it to go, but I think Penny pining after Leonard would be a nice change.

I'm a little disappointed if they go that route, but it wasn't to be unexpected. I'm just tired of Leonard doing the pining. I relate to Leonard (my persona in life, but maybe not as geeky).

It was good to see Leonard hoping, but accepting when Penny said that none of it meant anything ... and then Penny leaning against the door and pining for him. One more way of showing that their feelings are mutual, not just the cartoon "geek lusting after beautiful girl" that they started with. Steve

I loved that we got to see some introspection from Penny, but I swear, if Penny finds a new guy right in the season 3 premiere, I will slap Chuck and his writers. I still find it completely unfair that Leonard should be all emo when Penny finds a new guy. At least they showed us that Penny still really cares about HIM. She might miss the guys, but she didn't say "I wish you GUYS weren't going." and for the record, I was reading a review for this episode, and while I get why some people ship P/S, cause of Jim and Kaley's great chemistry, this one person said they thought the end was bad, and that they should have had her cry over Sheldon. Am I the only one that thinks that would be OOC? Anyways, looking forward to the new season September! :D

No, I agree. I don't get the P/S fans. Sheldon's whole character is his anti-social anti-relationship persona. Of the four, Leonard's the only one who truly realizes he's missing out on life and wants what 'other people have'. Howard just wants sex, Raj does--if he can speak to a woman, or get drunk first. And Sheldon has expressed no emotional response to dating/sex/etc. The closest dates Sheldon has ever come to are with Raj's 'date', Ramona, and Leonard's mother. And I laughingly call those dates. As for Penny and Leonard, I still think it's way to soon for them to get into a relationship, other than friendship. The same problem happened at the end of season one, and is what helped propel the P/S shippers into a overdrive. They couldn't date, so they had to get broken up. Same with when they were making out in "Maternal", they can't yet. It's too soon in the series. And, unfortunately, they have used Leonard as the catalyst to end the proceedings in some way. But, I loved her Penny said the line "It means 'I wish you weren't going'", but my first hope watching it was that Leonard would still be on the other side of the door and say "I'm not". But, again, they can't have relationship this early in the series without some kind of controlled breakup where they all remain friends (as Leonard is the catalyst that keeps Penny in the group). Either way, can't wait for Season 3.

Well said, WalletNook. At the end of season one, I was a bit nervous where things would end up. But the writers handled the changing relationship masterfully, making The Date simply one small step toward some far-off possibility. So I trust them now to play this out the way it should be played. Where the writers faltered at the beginning of season two was in writing the character of Sheldon. Think back to The Euclid Alternative and compare that horribly nasty Sheldon to the current version -- still nasty and overbearing but balanced with a little self-awareness and even self-deprecating humour. This season finale tended to fall back into that old Sheldon mode a little, and I worry more about that than I do about what will happen with Leonard and Penny. Steve (who has been writing about first season episodes on the wiki ... wow, have things changed!)

Love Sheldon, but I'd hate for the show to become the Sheldon show. Personally I'd love more of the guys getting some screen time, or a Penny episode.

They've spotlighted both Howard and Raj, but the episodes were pretty poor, in my opinion (Killer Robot and Griffin Equivelency). I agree that there are a lot more stories to tell about the other characters. However, when his character is written correctly, Sheldon is not only hilarious but also a great "mirror" for the foibles and foolishness of the other characters. There have been some fantastic Howard and Raj moments, though. Finding the house of the supermodels comes to mind, as does the trip to Vegas. And who can forget the "ersatz homosexual marriage" moment in "Maternal Capacitance"? Pure gold ... Steve

Howard and Raj compliment eachother. It's clear that in the group context, they're both friends, who happen to be friends with Leonard (and therefore, Sheldon). Raj, when he does speak, has some great lines. My favorite that keeps making me laugh now is "Well, I'm a hindu. And my religion teaches me that if you suffer in this life, you're rewarded in the next. Three months with Sheldon at the North Pole and I'm reborn as a well-hung billionaire with WINGS!" Howard has made progress, but he regresses easily. Which, in a way, keeps his character consistent. "Does she do it one thong at a time, or does she throw them all in, like some sort of erotic bouillabaissee." I think the ensemble cast works best. Put the four guys together, and the chemistry is apparent and very funny. As for Penny, without Leonard, Penny isn't part of the group. Even today, she only tolerates Sheldon because, to be part of the group, you must tolerate Sheldon (Howard and Raj do it all the time). Shows just about Penny would go away from the dynamic of the show, but when she's in with the group, or one on one, her screen time is great. As for P/S fans, they clearly want a "Sheldon and Penny Show", because I can't see any possible way that Leonard's character would stay in the apartment with Sheldon if Sheldon suddenly started dating Penny. And with him, goes Howard (definitely) and probably Raj. As stated, they're only there because they're friends with Leonard. So, who wants to watch a show only of Penny and Sheldon? Without the ensemble, it's not funny. But, that's just me.

OMG JUST LOVED IT *----------------------------------*

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'LL HAVE TO WAIT 3 MONTHS >_<

and I also can't believe what I'm about to say, but I kinda liked penny's last line *-------* it was so cute \o/

and I loved the:

*knock knock knock* Penny

*knock knock knock* Sheldon

*knock knock knock* Penny!

*knock knock knock* Sheldon!

*knock knock knock* PENNY!!!!

*knock knock knock* SHELDON!!!

just hilarious XDDD

that knocking thing was hilarious !!!

ya Penny's last line was sooo cute.

BBT is the best and most UNIQUE comedy i have ever seen!

Yeah, and the knock thing! I forgot about that!

Not as spectacular an episode as, say, Bath Item Gift Hypothesis, but really fun. A good ending for the second season. Honestly, though, I can't imagine those four guys managing to survive in the Arctic alone together for three months. Seriously.

Steve

I'm a new fan of The Big Fan Theory. My wife has been recording them and I just watched this episode. A little pedantry on my part, but I found it a bit amusing that the writers thought that Ellesmere Island in Canada in the summer would be so cold. It would still be cold, bit more like a Seattle or Vancouver winter with above freezing temperatures with little or no snow on the ground. Still, as you mentioned, I can't see them surviving the three months together. Here's a shot of where they would have probably stayed.

Cheers.

post-3258-134808097427_thumb.jpg