The Growing Friendship Between Penny & Sheldon?

gwhh

Has anyone notice the other big story line in this series.

The friendship between Penny & Sheldon. I have been watching all the back episodes and I have notice there friendship is just as deep as her relationship with Leonard. I would say its even deeper. Penny & Sheldon friendship have been on a increasing arch through out the show and never really had any ups and down. Unlike, her relationship with Leonard.

What do you all think of this observation?

I wonder if they are good friend off set?

The friendship between Penny & Sheldon. I have been watching all the back episodes and I have notice there friendship is just as deep as her relationship with Leonard. I would say its even deeper. Penny & Sheldon friendship have been on a increasing arch through out the show and never really had any ups and down. Unlike, her relationship with Leonard.

I dunno, I think Penny has been quite exasperated with Sheldon this season. He's was always interrupting with some inane request and she has been rolling her eyes at him a lot. But this last episode they were so nice to each other and it reminded me of old times. In early seasons, when they weren't fighting like cat and dog, they had the occasional moment of understanding. Which was very poignant because they are so different. We hadn't seen that for a while.

Sheldon has a tendency to go to Penny with his problems. Especially the stuff he doesn't know about, but also just to look for bugs in his ears and all sorts of silly things. She has a way with him that none of the other characters have. I think this is one of the reasons why Amy respects her and asks for her advise. I don't think the friendship has grown more this season, except for this last episode which struck me as a turning point. What other examples did you notice this season? because I can't think of any others.

I think the actors are very close friends, at least they seem to be.

Edited by Moonbase

I think Penny is very much like a fairy godmother to Sheldon, she's taken him under her wing in a way, ever since the beginning she tries to get him to function like a "normal" person and navigate social situations. But, in a way, it's kind of a one-way friendship, because Penny doesn't really get that much out of it, since there's not much that Sheldon can teach her that she can apply to her own life. However, I've often said I find the parallels between L/P and S/A quite interesting and that I do think in that context Penny and Sheldon have a lot to learn from each other. If there's one thing Penny can learn from Sheldon is to get over her fear of commitment, I would have liked this to be explored more this season but now it looks like she's accepted it and is dealing with it, so we're past that. 

I think Penny with Sheldon showcases what the show was meant to be about in a very clear way: the normal girl next door getting the geeks out of their shells. Since Sheldon is the most extreme of the group, the interaction becomes really obvious.

She's done the same thing with Amy but with more success, I actually think she gets more out of her friendship with Amy than she does from Sheldon. This was particularly true during the Priya era. 

• Like 3

I don't think it was always a one-way thing. Penny used to get something back. Sheldon was far more helpful in the past. He helped her set up her Penny Blossom business, tried to teach her physics and gave her money when she was broke. I'm sure a true shenny could name a lot more examples :icon_cheesygrin: .

But the last 2 seasons Penny has done things for him, like cutting his hair but he's not done anything in return. Prior to the last episode he hasn't shown her any appreciation. I thought it was wonderful.

Edited by Moonbase

I don't think it was always a one-way thing. Penny used to get something back. Sheldon was far more helpful in the past. He helped her set up her Penny Blossom business, tried to teach or physics and gave her money when she was broke. I'm sure a true shenny could name a lot more examples :icon_cheesygrin: .

But the last 2 seasons Penny has done things for him, like cutting his hair but he's not done anything in return. Prior to the last episode he hasn't shown her much appreciation lately. I thought it was wonderful.

I'm not saying practical things. Sheldon can be very helpful when he wants to. I'm saying in terms of helping each other grow as people or get support in hard times etc. I don't think Penny gets more out of Sheldon in that area than she does from Leonard or Amy. Leonard is by far the one that has the biggest influence on her life. 

I think OP was referring to the earlier seasons...

Their friendship has always been a high-point of this series....its always light-hearted....there is never drama involved....which makes it fun to watch....

Although recently their scenes have reduced a bit...but I also thought that there were a bit too many scenes between them in the earlier seasons...I would have preferred if they were evened out through-out the show....

Penny clearly has shown more affection and sympathy towards Sheldon than Leonard in this show....the writers have shown her to be protective of him in a motherly kind of way which makes probably makes sense for that affection

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Penny really does seem to mother Sheldon in an adorable way. She looks out for him, defend him and takes care of him in a really sweet way. --she kicked that bully in the balls, cut his hair -- those are all things a parent or older sister would do for her socially challenged family member.

Sheldon seems to not be treating her as much of a friend, but he does go to her for advice like a brother would or a son with his mum. That is all very sweet.

Their friendship has it's ups and downs. The Monster Isolation showed Penny's sweet side towards Sheldon by helping him with some acting advice and he ended up being extremely rude by first not thanking her and saying no to going to her play. It took Amy to tell him to be nice. the whole "if i HAVE to go i WILL go" . He knows how much acting means to her and he shot her down. 

Yeah but he genuinely appreciated her acting in the end. Although I guess if Penny didn't hear it, it doesn't count? 

he probably did tell her he enjoyed it... eventually. but when it's said in the moment it stings the most. i want to see more interactions between Penny and Sheldon.

Their relationship was special in the first three seasons when they were battling antagonist over Leonard's attention but their interactions started decreasing in season 4 when Sheldon's criticisms of her became exceedingly harsh (her morals) and it fell off a cliff this season. If you listened to his comments to her in season 6, you wonder if she has any self-respect at all. Nothing like having some one agree that you are a "Blond Monkey" to do a job on your self worth.

Until this 6.17 they had exactly two scenes without anyone else, once in Penny's bedroom when he pleaded with her not to hurt Leonard and once in the CheeseCake factory bar when she tricked him to go off to fight Will Wheaton with Long Island Ice Teas. She was not happy with him in either.  This is what Sheldon said in the "Ice Tea" conversation in 6.07:

Penny: Honey, you can’t make people like each other.

Sheldon: Not true. Leonard made me like you. And let me tell you, that was a hard row to hoe.

The writers this year have made them less friendly  then ever before. Even 6.17 did not see them have a friendly conversation. Sheldon gave her a grudging compliment then he promptly stepped all over it, which he was forced to apologize for because of Amy. There are some behind the scenes speculation about why this remoteness between the characters in season 6, dealing with some crazed Shenny-Shippers vs producer Bill Prady and Mayim.

Jim is considered open, professional and friendly with all the cast members but appears to have developed more of a friendship with Mayim according to the trade press. He and Kaley have a professional admiration but they are truly the most different of all the cast members: most distance in age, sexual orientation and social circles. They would not hang out together.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

The writers this year have made them less friendly  then ever before. Even 6.17 did not see them have a friendly conversation. Sheldon gave her a grudging compliment then he promptly stepped all over it, which he was forced to apologize for because of Amy. There are some behind the scenes speculation about why this remoteness between the characters in season 6, dealing with some crazed Shenny-Shippers vs producer Bill Prady and Mayim.

I agree with this. They hardly ever put Sheldon and Penny alone together in scenes anymore. There usually have another character there and they have made their interactions increasingly negative. I think this is intentional. They are working on L/P and S/A and want fans to concentrate on that. Personally I think its a shame, if they work well together then they should use them.

Jim is considered open, professional and friendly with all the cast members but appears to have developed more of a friendship with Mayim according to the trade press. He and Kaley have a professional admiration but they are truly the most different of all the cast members: most distance in age, sexual orientation and social circles. They would not hang out together.

I don't agree with this though. Kaley adores Jim. She may be younger but she is not more distant in sexual orientation and social circles to Jim than Mayim. I believe he is firm friends with both ladies but speculating about who he is fonder of, is impossible. Mayim may be older but she is jewish and has children. He wouldn't move in the same social circles as her. I'm sure he thinks the world of both of them.

Edited by Moonbase

I think the interactions being increasingly negative and/or purposeful is just speculation to be honest. While they have been less in recent times, I personally never see them as that much more negative than they've been in the past until people start pointing it out. So I wonder whether it's a matter of interpretation. Sheldon has always been condescending towards everyone, not just Penny. I don't know if there's any truth to the Shennys vs. Producers thing, but while that might have annoyed the producers I doubt they steer the show in directions that only serve the purpose to make a point to a portion of the fans. They've simply focused more on other things this season, they are juggling a lot of storylines and characters and they always seem to go through phases where they focus more on certain things than others.

Re: the actors, I don't see how that matters. The characters are the characters, the actors are the actors. Chemistry doesn't necessarily have to do with who likes who more, Duchovny and Anderson on TXF had incredible chemistry throughout the show's run and went through periods where allegedly they couldn't stand each other. It's just about who works well together. I get the impression that the whole cast gets along incredibly well, which seems a blessing in the industry. 

I think the interactions being increasingly negative and/or purposeful is just speculation to be honest. While they have been less in recent times, I personally never see them as that much more negative than they've been in the past until people start pointing it out. So I wonder whether it's a matter of interpretation. Sheldon has always been condescending towards everyone, not just Penny. I don't know if there's any truth to the Shennys vs. Producers thing, but while that might have annoyed the producers I doubt they steer the show in directions that only serve the purpose to make a point to a portion of the fans. They've simply focused more on other things this season, they are juggling a lot of storylines and characters and they always seem to go through phases where they focus more on certain things than others.

We can speculate over the reason for it but I agree with BangerMain. I have seen an increase in Penny's exasperation. She is far less tolerant of him then she was. She rolls her eyes almost every time he speaks to her and she never used to do this as much. She would look at him, pause, and then ignore what he said.

True. I think the writers tend to get stuck with characterizing characters or interactions in a certain way for a period of time, then suddenly shake it up. I've noticed that Amy's sex jokes have disappeared completely since Xmas, it seems like they've moved on from that, like they did with the Penny-related innuendos after S5. Or Penny's drinking. Maybe it's the same thing with Penny's reactions to Sheldon right now, they're in a "phase". I thought their interactions were pretty good during sweeps though (6x14, 6x15 and the last episode). 

Penny has gone above and beyond the call of duty in putting up with Sheldon. With her relationship with Leonard she has learned to accept and for the most part tolerate Sheldon for who he is. Hopefully Sheldon will in the future learn to appreciate Penny and what different perspectives she alone brings into his life. L/P are a package deal for Sheldon.

Edited by carl1970

I think Sheldon knows she has been very good to him in helping him navigate life, he's just too proud to admit it. He wouldn't constantly be running to Penny for advice otherwise. Part of his growth is to learn to admit to people that he appreciates them, the last episode was partly about that I felt. But he still has a long way to go. 

• Like 3

Penny has been the recipient of pretty nasty barbs form Sheldon, on her lack of education,for just being a waitress,on her sex life, on her mooching of the guys food and internet and the biggest put down on the series when he told her that he has seen pictures of her mother and asked her to continue eating.

It is pretty remarkable that Penny is still a friend of Sheldon but then we know she has a pretty thick skin.

I was just looking over my episode list for this season to see if I could recall any truly negative moments.

In the one where he goes to talk to Penny about not breaking up with Leonard, the conversation isn't at all negative, except for the fact that he disapproves of her new shampoo... :p  He tries to circle around the point he finally makes and then I think her exasperation with him is natural.  Although she gets firm with him, she's not really mad at him and I think they have a very real conversation in the end.

In the game night, although he and Penny are on opposing teams, there really isn't any anger between them.  Penny teases him about losing the Pictionary game, so of course he's naturally a little grumpy--his usual sore loser mode--but he's not mad and she's not being mean.  In the end, it's more about Leonard and Sheldon being a little miffed with each other as they blame each other for losing each round.  But it's all in fun and nobody's feelings get hurt.

When Sheldon goes to Penny for advice about Wil vs Amy, she does actually have a normal conversation with him, though it's in their normal teasing mode (advice about girls, full pubis, etc.) and though she does offer him the LI Iced Tea, she does try to get him to slow down on it.  But it's not as Sheldon didn't know he was at a bar.  At any rate, I don't think Penny got him drunk on purpose or did it to be mean or to sabotage him.

In the Egg Salad episode, their only interaction is in the Council of Ladies scene and it's just a matter of Penny trying to get him to stop with the stupid pseudonyms and just tell her what's going on, but there's no negativity there.

In Bakersfield, there's nothing at all negative in their one scene together--as a matter of fact it's very friendly and upbeat.  Though it's not a scene with just the two of them, still, his interaction with her is very normal and pleasant.

In Cooper/Kripke, they're not alone, but the conversation is again very normal and even positive in the end where they're just having a normal, kind of grown-up conversation about what Sheldon is thinking, what he's going through, etc.  And Sheldon's little smile and positive reaction to Penny's remark, when he's at the fridge, is again very open and friendly.

In Spoiler Alert, even though they have that little squabble at the end when the truth comes out, it's still not really negative, as I see it.  She's just pointing out his dishonesty and he has to admit to it.  But their earlier conversation in the hallway, when he calls her a homewrecker, is their first chance to talk about the situation without L or A around and they're able to be honest about what's going on.  They come to an agreement and it's all very helpful to both of them.  Of course, SHeldon blows it later when he chickens out about telling Amy the truth and tries to blame Penny.

Even so, though Penny scolds him, it doesn't strike me as being mean or hateful or anything like that.  It's more like a big sister scolding a little brother for doing something naughty--point it out, make him own up to it, then let it go.

THen of course, in this last episode, they have a friendly, somewhat helpful moment together--she helps him with his segment and he does seem to have a positive reaction with her while they're doing it.

Though Amy has to remind him to thank her for her help, he does genuinely express his appreciation of her help while he's talking to Amy, so we know that he was happy with what they'd done together.

Of course his weasling over the play invitation may have hurt Penny's feelings, but I don't think she would have been all that surprised at his reaction to the invitation.

Though it was maybe a bit of a surprise coming on the heels of his kind words about her help with FWF, still, not wanting to go to the play would be typical Sheldon, so it shouldn't have been such a surprise.

And then the back and forth about wanting to go vs having to go vs having to want to, etc., was typical exasperating Sheldon.  I think that Penny was right to be exasperated with him, and to want him to go because he wanted to go, but she shouldn't have been surprised at his convoluted way of trying to make up for his previous rejection.  And in the end, I don't think Penny was really upset or hurt or offended.

I think she's used to her little brother by now.  And I think she loves him in spite of all of his "quirks".

• Like 2

They are in what has been a mutually beneficial relationship.  However, she is closer to Leonard than she is to Sheldon simply because the time she spends with Leonard is not as tedious.  Other than Amy who probably has issues of her own, none of the characters wake up looking forward to spending time with Sheldon.  I have never been really close to a person I find myself barely tolerating most of the time.

• Like 2

They are in what has been a mutually beneficial relationship.  However, she is closer to Leonard than she is to Sheldon simply because the time she spends with Leonard is not as tedious.  Other than Amy who probably has issues of her own, none of the characters wake up looking forward to spending time with Sheldon.  I have never been really close to a person I find myself barely tolerating most of the time.

Great answer! No one on the show, except Amy, wants to spend time with Sheldon. And even she finds it maddening.

• Like 1

I was just looking over my episode list for this season to see if I could recall any truly negative moments.

{snip...}

I think she's used to her little brother by now.  And I think she loves him in spite of all of his "quirks".

That's an awful lot of time that Penny spends overlooking his rude behavior toward her.

But here is the test. If Leonard had not been living with Sheldon when Penny moved in to her apartment, what would have been their relationship after her first greeting to her new neighbor?

Edited by BangerMain

Their friendship has it's ups and downs. The Monster Isolation showed Penny's sweet side towards Sheldon by helping him with some acting advice and he ended up being extremely rude by first not thanking her and saying no to going to her play. It took Amy to tell him to be nice. the whole "if i HAVE to go i WILL go" . He knows how much acting means to her and he shot her down. 

Exactly like a younger brother.

That's an awful lot of time that Penny spends overlooking his rude behavior toward her.

But here is the test. If Leonard had not been living with Sheldon when Penny moved in to her apartment, what would have been their relationship after her first greeting to her new neighbor?

Sheldon wouldn't have been friends with anyone if it weren't for Leonard. Not just Penny. 

However, we have to keep in mind this is a tv show. Everything is exaggerated, especially the interactions between Penny and Sheldon. They're not all meant to be taken seriously. They're meant to make people laugh. I doubt Penny is bubbling up rage inside over this. It's a sitcom. Plus, you can have that sort of banter with someone you're close. Again, of course it's extremely exaggerated on the show. But I have a relationship sort of like that with one of my best friends, and we're super close.

Edited by koops
  • Like 1