The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moonbase

Sheldon "the Boyfriend"

I believe they are going in this direction to create a path for Amy and Sheldon to walk together. This is their way of solidifying the relationship and it obviously works for many of you. I agree that for the physical stuff they definitely need this journey. I just don't agree on the emotional part. We have seen Sheldon's gentle side appear so many times, and not just with his mother. They don't need to change him in that respect. Its there already. Just add an Amy specific layer to it. Its perfectly fine to enjoy the direction they are taking but I can't see why the shamys wouldn't want this.

IMO, its already there. He just hasn't expressed it openly TO HER!

His emotional bond is so clear its blinding. Gentility comes with ease. I don't believe he is at ease with his LOVE for her yet, hence the ever decreasing awkwardness.

But I want it all in time, they have at least 3 more seasons to fill....all good things will come in due time. 

Yeah and Penny can have the whiteboard and be explaining things to him. "it was a starry night in Nebraska…" :icon_lol:

But seriously, I suspect a very happy ending this finale. The writers at the moment are all about making things work and moving forward. They don't strike me as risk takers at all. Did you mean a break-up over the course of an episode? with a happy ending...

Next season is anyone's guess, it could happen them.

Haha!!  I think Penny trying to have "that talk" with him would be funny.  She does keep telling him to read "the book" they gave him :p

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Haha!!  I think Penny trying to have "that talk" with him would be funny.  She does keep telling him to read "the book" they gave him :p

He did say on TLA that he finished reading it, so he's ready to have the talk. At least, he has completed the prelimiary text :p hahah.

So how many more years will Sheldon need to be warm towards Amy like he is towards his mother and mee maw?  2?  5? 10? 30?  :icon_rolleyes:

But, hey, Amy can wait.  She is just a dissatisfied woman.  Who cares?  Right?

Edited by Ar Diem

I like the idea of Sheldon being himself to everyone else but Amy and feel that's where the writers are heading.  I think the decision to go at a slower pace is working out just fine. A more immediate or sudden change in Sheldon behavior would feel right.

Having Sheldon resist change ( being dragged kicking and screaming, being an ass) is very much in line with how Sheldon is.  I don't see it hurting the character and doing so, makes the actual change deeper and more meaningful. 

At this point, Amy may be getting the short end of the stick, but she's gaining ground. I don't feel bad or sympathetic for her. If anything she seems to be getting stronger and more determined not weaker.  Plus it let's the writer's do some sort of "every trick in the book" run.

Overall, I think they've done Shamy well.

I like the idea of Sheldon being himself to everyone else but Amy and feel that's where the writers are heading.  I think the decision to go at a slower pace is working out just fine. A more immediate or sudden change in Sheldon behavior would feel right.

At this point, Amy may be getting the short end of the stick, but she's gaining ground. I don't feel bad or sympathetic for her. If anything she seems to be getting stronger and more determined not weaker.  Plus it let's the writer's do some sort of "every trick in the book" run.

Overall, I think they've done Shamy well.

I applaud your frank honesty.  She has gotten the short end of the stick for 2 years now and probably has quite some time to go but it is ok with you.

Im still very glad they are together and that Amy was brought to the show, But her speech, the way she talks is different now :( I loved it when she talked like Sheldon..bold, to the point no concern in whats shes saying and in a way robotic like. She speaks normal now but I guess thats Pennys influence? :) 

I also like the fact that relationship is going slow, means more supprises for us and its just right for them. 

Still Shamy all the way, lets turn back robotic ;)

Edited by LoveShamy
  • Like 1

I think some people enjoy the idea of Amy being responsible for the emotional growth of Sheldon. They like to believe he needs rescuing. This doesn't appeal to me at all. I think the writers are presenting it this way to exaggerate his need for her. When he was perfectly self contained before they met. If they made me feel Sheldon was more in to it, then I could follow his lead, by relating to what I saw. But right now, they aren't quite there.

• Like 3

I think some people enjoy the idea of Amy being responsible for the emotional growth of Sheldon. They like to believe he needs rescuing. This doesn't appeal to me at all. I think the writers are presenting it this way to exaggerate his need for her. When he was perfectly self contained before they met. If they made me feel Sheldon was more in to it, then I could follow his lead, by relating to what I saw. But right now, they aren't quite there.

Right.  He is her project boyfriend. 

If Amy came across as weak or depressed i would surely feel bad. But, I'm not getting that vibe. (Sortof goes back to my comments in the doormat thread). I also can't overlook Amy is some sort top dog brain scientist, and the gut feeling that she's trying to alter Sheldon behavior in a similar way to her smoking monkeys. The results of her experiments, good or bad are helping her plan next steps. Come hell or high water, she's going to marry Sheldon in 4 years. Sheldon will likely be kicking and screaming at the alter, but loving it.

• Like 1

I enjoy the Shamy (obviously, given my screen name). I can understand wanting to see a Sheldon who is a little sweeter, without coaxing. I see him as treating Amy differently than his other friends, but perhaps not with the same emotional openness yet that he has with his mom or meemaw. I think it's coming. I see their interactions as a different kind of romance and I'm interested in seeing it develop. I understand that they may not be for everyone. It's hard to say what the "right" way is for Sheldon to be in a relationship. For me, I'm satisfied at the moment. 

• Like 2

Y'all know my opinions so I won't reiterate them (and others have said it very well already).

I just have this, from the OP..

But the problem is he is being dragged towards the enviable

Of course you meant 'inevitable'. But yes, his relationship with Amy is enviable too. Freudian slip much? :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 2

Y'all know my opinions so I won't reiterate them (and others have said it very well already).

I just have this, from the OP..

Of course you meant 'inevitable'. But yes, his relationship with Amy is enviable too. Freudian slip much? :icon_mrgreen:

Cheeky.. you know why?

I enjoy the Shamy (obviously, given my screen name). I can understand wanting to see a Sheldon who is a little sweeter, without coaxing. I see him as treating Amy differently than his other friends, but perhaps not with the same emotional openness yet that he has with his mom or meemaw. I think it's coming. I see their interactions as a different kind of romance and I'm interested in seeing it develop. I understand that they may not be for everyone. It's hard to say what the "right" way is for Sheldon to be in a relationship. For me, I'm satisfied at the moment. 

I want to enjoy this relationship because I love the show, and individual characters so much! But as you wrote they aren't for everyone.

If Amy came across as weak or depressed i would surely feel bad. But, I'm not getting that vibe. (Sortof goes back to my comments in the doormat thread). I also can't overlook Amy is some sort top dog brain scientist, and the gut feeling that she's trying to alter Sheldon behavior in a similar way to her smoking monkeys. The results of her experiments, good or bad are helping her plan next steps. Come hell or high water, she's going to marry Sheldon in 4 years. Sheldon will likely be kicking and screaming at the alter, but loving it.

Loving because he discovered within himself a deeply buried need for companionship, or because of brain plasticity, wherein his neural paths have been reconfigured by Amy's conditioning techniques which are based her extensive understanding of brain function, as you say.

Either way in the end he will be loving it. Maybe she will install a tasp for extra incentive, as his brain apparently always has dibs on the blood supply, so she can't access more traditional reward mechanisms. :)

But of the women he has met, she is the one most likely to complete the task. And he might come to realise that, statistically, men with wives live longer and have better health outcomes (not referencing this but it feels true )' so it is in his own self interest to go along.

But I don't see an easy road for Amy. But it's her choice so, 'respect'.

I completely agree. I really liked the original Amy/Sheldon relationship. It was unique and interesting and funny but for some reason they tried to change it into a more conventional boy/girl relationship, perhaps to tap into the large audience that loves conventional romcom.  Ratings-wise it's worked, but they threw away a real gem.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I've only enjoyed Shamy in one episode (Season 6 Episode 10) since Season 5 started. It was nice when Sheldon and Amy were merely friends, in my

For me, the way to go for Shamy (seeing as it's not going to go away) is to make it, and keep it, an intellectual I sincerely hope the writers don't make it a physical relationship in any sort of way. As I've said before, it could be argued, to some extent, that it might make old Sheldon look fairly hypocritical.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree.

I've only enjoyed Shamy in one episode (Season 6 Episode 10) since Season 5 started. It was nice when Sheldon and Amy were merely friends, in my

For me, the way to go for Shamy (seeing as it's not going to go away) is to make it, and keep it, an intellectual I sincerely hope the writers don't make it a physical relationship in any sort of way. As I've said before, it could be argued, to some extent, that it might make old Sheldon look fairly hypocritical.

Not to some extent.  He has been an undeniable hypocrite but I don't think they care about it.