The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Kitka

What Book Are You Reading?

The Bible and books examining the Bible.

I'm also reading Makeup to Breakup: My Years In & Out of Kiss by Peter "Catman" Criss and American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson. I just finished No Regrets by Ace Frehley.

• Like 1

Currently I'm reading Stephen King's IT.

So what are you reading?

:)

That's is interesting Kitka.

Can you tell me a bit about the book you are  reading, I am not very familiar with the author :icon_neutral:

Myself just finished to read a biography novel of Artemisia Gentileschi (Renaissance artist) by the american author Susan Vreeland

Also starting a novel "Women Who Love Too much" by Robin Norwwod

• Like 1

That's is interesting Kitka.Can you tell me a bit about the book you are  reading, I am not very familiar with the author :icon_neutral:

It's about a group of 7 kids who believe evil is all around them and all of Derry, Maine, in the guise of a clown called Pennywise. Other kids go missing, presumably murdered by such evil. Set in the late 1950s and about 30 years later, a series of flashbacks tells the story of what went on, and how the 7 kids tried to stop Pennywise from wreaking havoc and murdering the other kids. That, and older kids in their school from bullying them, in particular, Henry Bowers, who's more crazier than his friends. When they all meet up as adults, they have to fight again, or be killed. One character, Bill Denborough, is consumed by total hatred because Pennywise killed his 6 year old brother Georgie. Pennywise isn't actually the 'evil' exactly, but something else is.

Incidentally, a movie was made in the early 1990s, placing the timeframe slightly differently. Tim Curry played Pennywise and Richard Thomas (from The Waltons) played the adult Bill Denborough. (16 year old Jonathan Brandis played the 12 year old version for the 1950s part.

*Incidentally, a movie was made in the early 1990s, placing the timeframe slightly differently. Tim Curry played Pennywise and Richard Thomas (from The Waltons) played the adult Bill Denborough. (16 year old Jonathan Brandis played the 12 year old version for the 1950s part.

That is awesome!

I like poetry very much... for example Goethe, but this part of  his love poems, and Heinrich Heine, and poetry of my indigenous authors.

And I have finished Wiliam's Wharton "Birdy" I also like Stephen King's books and black humor.

Edited by silverangelD

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

It's about a group of 7 kids who believe evil is all around them and all of Derry, Maine, in the guise of a clown called Pennywise. Other kids go missing, presumably murdered by such evil. Set in the late 1950s and about 30 years later, a series of flashbacks tells the story of what went on, and how the 7 kids tried to stop Pennywise from wreaking havoc and murdering the other kids. That, and older kids in their school from bullying them, in particular, Henry Bowers, who's more crazier than his friends. When they all meet up as adults, they have to fight again, or be killed. One character, Bill Denborough, is consumed by total hatred because Pennywise killed his 6 year old brother Georgie. Pennywise isn't actually the 'evil' exactly, but something else is.

Incidentally, a movie was made in the early 1990s, placing the timeframe slightly differently. Tim Curry played Pennywise and Richard Thomas (from The Waltons) played the adult Bill Denborough. (16 year old Jonathan Brandis played the 12 year old version for the 1950s part.

that movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. My dad thought it was a kid's movie about a funny clown when he saw it on the videoclub and he put the movie for me and my sisters and he left us alone watching it. I was 10, my sister was 8 and the other was 6. Scarred us for life.

Tim Curry was brilliant though.

I am currently reading "Faith in Fakes" by Umberto Eco. It's a semiotic analysis on mass culture, and I just finished another book of his, Apocalittici e integrati which is about mass culture from a sociological point of view.

I'm not much of a fiction reader, and Semiotics is one of my passions.

Edited by Sursonica

I'm jumping between 2. One is a collection of HPLovecraft short stories and the other is Lone Survivors (how our species beat out all the others to become the last human race).

Both interesting but neither page burners. Taking me about a 5 seeks to get through these 2. Usually I'll burn through a book in a week or two.

I'm reading Midnight's Children by Sir Salman Rushdie, at the moment. After that, I'm planning to read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, re-read god is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens and read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I also plan on re-reading War and Peace by Tolstoy and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky; although they are long, the books contain some of the finest literature to come from humanity. After that, I think I'll read The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. Yes, I have a long list, a very long list.

Edited by viddy9

Went through Silmarillion, to see if it could be made into movies.

-But as far as I can tell, it is unfilmable. Too many weird charcters, too confusing events, too many places and so on...

Maybe if they concentrated on the Silmarillions and told the story from Sauron's viewpoint...

Still. Loved Stephen King's books when younger, but these days I tend to stay away from horror books, as they steal my sleep.

Oh, you bet your ass it'll get made into a movie. Will "too much" info just means more than a 3 parter, is all (iow, MO MONEY!).

Sides, I really wanna see the Hammer of the Underworld in action!

Oh, you bet your ass it'll get made into a movie. Will "too much" info just means more than a 3 parter, is all (iow, MO MONEY!).

Sides, I really wanna see the Hammer of the Underworld in action!

It would only appeal to the fans. So, if they do it, they probably do it with computer animation style, without live actors at all, and then put it on on bluray.

Went through Silmarillion, to see if it could be made into movies.-But as far as I can tell, it is unfilmable. Too many weird charcters, too confusing events, too many places and so on... Maybe if they concentrated on the Silmarillions and told the story from Sauron's viewpoint...  Still. Loved Stephen King's books when younger, but these days I tend to stay away from horror books, as they steal my sleep.

Isn't Silmarillion from Tolkien?

Actually, having said that, I'm pretty sure that's where the band Marillion got its name from.

I've now finished Stephen King's IT, and I'm now reading Tolkien's The Hobbit.

Miss Kitka, do you like Vampire books?

Vampire horror is pretty much the only horror I read these days, as they are not that scary. Anne Rice, as I recall, is the best author these days.

Mind you, it has been few years since I read a Vampire adventures...

Miss Kitka, do you like Vampire books? Vampire horror is pretty much the only horror I read these days, as they are not that scary. Anne Rice, as I recall, is the best author these days. Mind you, it has been few years since I read a Vampire adventures...

I like Vampire books, yes. Anne Rice is very good indeed.

I've now finished Stephen King's IT, and I'm now reading Tolkien's The Hobbit.

Thanks for your update Kitka.

Please anyone feel free to use this thread any time to suggest books to read.

And why not? Indeed also quote poems or paragraphs from stories you like to share here with us. :)

I like poetry very much... for example Goethe, but this part of  his love poems, and Heinrich Heine, and poetry of my indigenous authors.

And I have finished Wiliam's Wharton "Birdy" I also like Stephen King's books and black humor.

I like poems too!

This one in particular has struck a chord in my senses, 'cause Judi Dench recites this stirring passage from “Ulysses,” by A.Tennyson”

in the James Bond movie, “Skyfall.”

<Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.>

• Like 1

I like Vampire books, yes. Anne Rice is very good indeed.

I agree...up to the point where it started getting just silly. Had to stop reading. The 5thish book? Been some 12+ years...but when all the women of the world started killing off men? Something like that, I was out lol. The first 3 were great. 

I thought the Violin (by Anne Rice) was pretty ghastly, pun intented!

-could not finish it...

Never got poetry. Tried to read it now and then, the classics and all that, but never got the point.

-And I do hate when people recite poems in the most affected way imaginable.

Finished The Hobbit. Good book.

Now on Red Dwarf: Stasis Leaked Complete. It's probably quite an oldish book, but it's all about behind the scenes of the episodes, details of all the episodes so far, making of, the actors and their characters.

Currently reading "A Feast for Crows" which is book #4 from the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R Martin.
I started watching "Game of Thrones" on HBO tv 2 years ago & was sucked right in. Because I wanted to know what would happen I bought the 5 books that are out today & started reading.

If you like the "fantasy" genre I recommend them highly. Brilliantly written with awesome plots/ twists etc. I even take book with me on way to work so I can read it during my train ride. Can't wait for April 1st, Season 3 will begon for us in Europe on HBO.

I must say although I'm Dutch I tend to read my books in English as I have hated some of the translated books I read when I was a kid..

In between I've read "A street cat named Bob" very good as well & Karin Slaughter's "Criminal" which was, as always, brilliant ( have all her books )

Edited by Jacks

Welcome to the fad, Jacks! lol

I'd almost say stop where you are. The first 3 books are AMAZING! The new watermark for measuring fantasy writing. Surpasses everything else I've read in fantasy (and in many aspects, all other genres). 

Keep in mind, I got in at the 2nd book. The second came out a year after the first. Had to wait something like 18 months for the 3rd? Then 5 years for the 4th? Another 5 for the 5th? THAT was after GRRM told us it was already written and would be out soon. It had just gotten too long so had to "split" the book...psych!

Ugh

10 years for a new Tyrion chapter!  
I am, however, very thankful for the first 3 books. Astounding writing. 

If you want another author that can at least compare with GRRM, check out  Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series. The first book is The Blade Itself. Also fantasy. Also gritty.