The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Kitka

What Book Are You Reading?

I started  The Wheel of Time series. I will give my thoughts when I finish the first book. 

I started  The Wheel of Time series. I will give my thoughts when I finish the first book. 

Loved the first book, but the goings on got really silly on bok two...

I just started Inferno! I've read the other four books from Dan Brown, so I hope I'll like this one as well. 

Still enjoying 'Look me in the Eye'. Although Jim P. used this book to understand Aspergers, the author is not like Sheldon(they merely share traits). He drives a motorbike/car, has a girlfriend, and because of his unique way of hearing sound, works with musicians(on Pink Floyd's equipment), and is special effects wiz for Kiss.

Edited by gaqo

Finished Snow Crash (if you liked the Neuromancer series, give this one a shot).

Finished another from the same author, Crypto-nomicon. Interesting read (1200 pages, too). Multiple story lines based in 2 times (WW2 and current). Centered more around code breaking than anything else. Pretty good.

Next is Patient Zero. Zombies!

Edited by BBTfan
  • Like 1

I'm in an "Antarctic" frame of mind of late,  finished reading."Alone on the Ice" the story of Douglas Mawson's incredible survival in Antarctica. and now I am almost finished Robert Scott's journal, which of course is just a complete tragedy. 

Feeling like I need to now more about these two gentlemen, so may start another "Antarctic" themed book afterwards. ALthough I am back at Uni in about 1 week, so probably not too much time for leisure reading what with working full time as well.

Currently reading The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy and The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

The Mayor of Casterbridge I really enjoyed.

That thread exists??? I was thinking about starting one about books!!! I don't have much time now so I am not reading a book but the last one I read is Ibsen's "A Doll's House". I liked it very much. I will keep an eye on the theaters in case it is played!!

We Need To Talk About Kevin. It's an interesting, if slow, book about a woman with a son who kills several children at his school (and his father and sister) with a crossbow. It's disturbing, it really is. The film adaptation is very good.

I've read that. I actually liked it very much!!! It was slow but I think it was needed it should be slow in order to let the characters unravel. The movie was good too but I tend to not like movies based on books when I've read them.

And because you mentioned the word disturbing. "Gone Girl" is one of the most disturbing books I've readn I liked it, it had clever story and kept you on the edge all the time. But it showed how far a twisted mind can go.

I really like that thread!!!! <3

I am reading Pride and Prejudice. Need I say that I love it?? It's wonderful and I have only a few pages left.

I just started Brene Brown's Daring Greatly. Love her TED talks.

Wish I could say I was but I ran out of books to read. Just finished a 678 page romance novel. Was the most boring thing I have ever read. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan
  • Like 1

I just started "The Silkworm", sequel to "The Cuckoo's Calling"(which I really liked) by Robert Galbraith (AKA J. K. Rowling). It looks like it will be a series with Cormoran Strike, a private detective, the main character.

Edited by Strawberry PopTart Fan
  • Like 1

The Stand - Stephen King. Had a weird dream about it soon after reading the first chapter...

The Stand - Stephen King. Had a weird dream about it soon after reading the first chapter...

I looooooove Stephen King's books. And he just churns them out like a machine. I remember reading 'Salem's Lot' this past winter and being absolutely blown away. And who said vampires were overrated? :wink:

One of my teachers gave me a copy of his book 'On Writing', and it's full of great advice. I've got about 50 post-it tabs glued to the pages and half of it's highlighted, lol.

The last book I finished was 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. It was wild. A total joyride. I've never felt so whiplashed by a book before. But it was fantastic!

Right now I'm reading 'Pillars of the Earth'. I'm only 100 pages in and have 900 to go, but my history teacher said it's her all-time favorite, so I'm optimistic.

I looooooove Stephen King's books. And he just churns them out like a machine. I remember reading 'Salem's Lot' this past winter and being absolutely blown away. And who said vampires were overrated? :wink:

One of my teachers gave me a copy of his book 'On Writing', and it's full of great advice. I've got about 50 post-it tabs glued to the pages and half of it's highlighted, lol.

The last book I finished was 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. It was wild. A total joyride. I've never felt so whiplashed by a book before. But it was fantastic!

Right now I'm reading 'Pillars of the Earth'. I'm only 100 pages in and have 900 to go, but my history teacher said it's her all-time favorite, so I'm optimistic.

Pillars of the Earth is a fantastic read. I read it for a book club years ago. I remember feeling daunted by its size and them literally being unable to put it down for hundreds and hundreds of pages. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I am reading 'Shadow man' - Cody McFadyen. Just love this book, I read it before. 

I read that last year. It was quite good. Last sentence was the highlight for me I think. A well written mystery. I plan to read Sharp Objects too ny sister told me it's a very good mystery.

I love pretty much everything by Stephen King, including 'On Writing' (though he had help with that one)

Which author do you mean for 'Pillars of the Earth'? There's more than one out there.

Right now I'm reading 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' (it's hard to get through her examples of 'good negroes' but it does have some good storytelling) and 'The Erasers' ( I love books where I don't immediately know what's going on).

Ender's Game, 1984, and Brave new world. not all at once at least.

When you're done with (or before you start) Brave New World you should read Plato's Republic. It will make it even more disturbing.

• Like 1

Raising Steam, Terry Pratchett (Discworld). Loving it, but I'm sooo behind on my reading. My kindle to-read list is enormous, I need to put more effort in.