Is Season 7 The Last Season?

gwhh

I see the show coming to an end sooner then later, and not because of ratings which are doing so well, but the characters are getting older & I think some of them would enjoy doing other things in Hollywood. 

Where do you get this "bad" feeling from? Ratings wise they're at their peak, there's no way CBS will cancel them any time soon. The only way it could end next year is if they decide to end it, but from interviews by TPTB it doesn't seem like that's the case.

• Like 2

Not that it would be bad for it to end before they milk the cow dry. But they have way too much stuff right now to cram into one season for 7 to be the last, imo. The cow is still very milkable, imo. 

I think it will go at least till season 8, and probably 9. Who doesn't want 20 million viewers?

I'll be happy if they take the brave decision of ending it after 8 or at least 9.. going out while they're at the top (assuming it still will be). But I doubt if the network would allow that!

Oh boy, it makes me unhappy to think of TBBT ending. :(

Did that sound like a paradox?

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 1

I always wondered how it works in terms of networks and deciding when to end it. Maybe some of the most tv-saavy people (Tensor, I'm looking at you) can enlighten me. Some shows have been pushed way beyond their due date by the network, even when the creators were planning to end it earlier (TXF, *sob*), other times I hear of shows like 30 Rock that finish when they want to finish. How does that work? 

I'm happy for TBBT to continue until they have life in them, it's hard for me to predict how long that will be, they could run out of ideas next year or they might have enough to go to 10 or more, who knows? Although given the premise of the show I doubt they can keep going for more than 10, it'd get a bit absurd when the characters start hitting 40. 

• Like 1

I hope BBT last a thousand years however.

Two & Half Men is a perfect example of why Chuck Lorre won't pull the show. As bad as 2 1/2 men is now that Charlie left, they keep on. 

However just like Charlie Sheen left, so could a few main character decide it was time to move on.  While some people are not fond of Penny, Kaley Cucco is sure getting a lot of face time in Hollywood. I am not saying any one character leaving the show would kill it, but it wouldn't be the same.  

PS  I am a Lenny fan and enjoy the shows that are more about them. However all the shows are good.

Well with the premise of the whole show being that Penny is there to help the science geeks get a social life, which most of them now have there is that possibility that Kaley could leave and the show would not be worse off, however if Jim was to leave it would be poorer but anyways whatever happens i think it will go to 10 seasons

Awww, thanks Tensor! :) 

Rach, I don't think Kaley could leave the show without seriously harming it. Beside the fact that the whole Lenny story is the backbone of the show, like you say, the point was Penny helping the guys come out of their shells and the guys helping Penny grow up: if they both reach their goals then there's no point for the show to continue, imo. And if Kaley leaves then the show is kind of missing one leg to stand on, because the others are all geeks. They could come up with a new formula I guess, if they have to, but they would seriously have to revolutionize the premise.

In any case, I don't see her leaving any time soon. Same for everyone else.

I don't think any of the actors are in a position to jump ship any time soon.

Jim might possibly be the best candidate with 2 Emmys and a Golden Globe to his name, BUT he doesn't seem to be interested in leaving.  He has said that he'd be there to the bitter end, whatever thay may entail.

A TV job is steady employment, which is nothing to sneeze at in the acting business.  It can be a blessing and a curse if you want to do things like movies and plays, but lots of actors, Jim included, have managed to squeeze other projects into the summer hiatus.

And no one wants to pull a David Caruso, where you think you're so hot that you can leave your hit TV show and have movie offers piled at your feet.

None of them seems to be unhappy or artistically frustrated at this point, so it's unlikely that anyone is chafing to get out.

Another factor is who owns the rights to the show, between the creator, studio and network.  If Chuck Lorre/Bill Prady, etc., were to say they wanted to end the show, but WB and/or CBS wanted it to continue, in some cases the network could say, "We're going to continue the show with or without you.  We'll just get someone else in here to write/produce/run the show."  That's essentially what happened to TXF.  Chris Carter's contract was up, but FOX wanted the show to continue.  They still had GA under contract (DD's contract was up) and they intended to continue with or without DD or CC.

Now, for something like that to happen to TBBT, CBS would have to own the rights to the show and they'd have to have all or most of the actors still under contract.

But if everyone's contracts were up for renewal at the same time and everyone decided they wanted to call it quits, I don't think CBS or WB could do much about it.

It's most likely that Lorre/Prady/Molaro or whoever would come to some understanding with CBS about when they felt the story was getting played out or if the ratings started to drop significantly.  Really significantly, since it would take a VERY precipitous drop to get them significantly below their current competition.  I think someone in the cast would have to be turn out to be a serial killer or something for people to fall away in significant enough droves to make CBS drop the show.

Even if they were to lose 5 million viewers, they'd still be hitting big numbers that no network or producer would be likely to walk away from.

Without losing a critical cast member it should have plenty of momentum to hit 8 and maybe more.    Before Lucy I would predict 9 or 10 but if she is going to be a permanent cast member I think it will drag the show down faster.  I don't know if she is here to stay or not though.

I don't think they can drag out Lenny much longer and get away with it.  I also think Shamy will have to take some big steps too.  S7 should start setting up the decline of the show because it will probably not leave much left on either storyline.

Lets not forget that at this time, they've still only signed on for 7 seasons.

"The InBetweeners" was one of Britain's more popular sitcoms, rating very highly every season, yet the show only went on for 3 seasons, regardless.

Whilst I would love to see BBT go on for many years more, it's no good stretching it out just because of high ratings.

Material and substance need to come into play.

"Flogging a dead horse" is the term I've used in the past regarding this.

Edited by netmouse
  • Like 4

"The InBetweeners" was one of Britain's more popular sitcoms, rating very highly every season, yet the show only went on for 3 seasons, regardless.

Whilst I would love to see BBT go on for many years more, it's no good stretching it out just because of high ratings.

Exactly. I've seen that happen too many times.

Thank you. I've been asking. Can we distinguish this further and get examples from the US?

Exactly. I've seen that happen too many times.

Sorry Anomaly, I think you meant the too many dead horses thing, no? Not too many shows pulled?

Edited by Llatasativargon

With all the talk of how happy the actors are though I am afraid we are looking at a ratings cancellation.  Even if the show tanks next year it will be painful to watch it because it means it has gotten really bad. 

I hope that it could go to season 8 at least.  I think the ratings will stay strong, I just hope none of the actors want to jump ship.  I can't think of any character on the show right now that isn't essential.  In my opinion anyway.

I don't think any of the cast are considering leaving at all, right now. They know they're all 7 of them essential to the show structure at this point, and I'm sure the prestige of being on a show as popular and successful as this counts for something. They seem to be on a high, and justifiably so, in all their interviews. 

If (in a worst-case scenario) the ratings slip drastically in season 7, I could see some second thoughts happening, but definitely not if it goes on the way it is (or even 3-4 million lower). 

I know not everyone will agree but I really hope they wrap up the storylines that have people watching and not try to drag them out to a finale that the show may never see.  I would rather them conclude everything in 8 seasons and take the risk that the show may not be watchable in season 9.

Ya know, there's really not much I can add to what's been said since this morning. About the only thing is to netmouse. It's tough to compare series in the US and Britain as the situations, pressures and demands are different.

Very seldom do you see shows leave the air while they are still creative AND still strong in the ratings. I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show are about the only ones that come to mind. Live action situation comedies very rarely run more than ten years, see And by the time they run that long, they are usually shells of their former selves. Based on what the cast has said and what the current ratings are, I can see TBBT running for 10 years. But based on the track record of almost every other situation comedy, the chances of seasons 9 and 10 being anywhere near the quality of even what most consider the bad year of season four (I don't agree season four was bad, but anyway), is negligible.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 4

AD, im not sure I follow.

Happy actors - check

Good cash flow - check

relatable storytelling - check

Are you saying they will drive story down to the lower common denominator (ie not smart & funny) so as to maintain cashflow and that is what you mean by tanking?

( late sorry:

what Tensor said made it clear

Edited by Llatasativargon