How Should The Show End?

gwhh

My view is that, in the end, after creating characters that a lot of us came to care about and that, I think,  we want to see live happily ever after, they need to ensure that the audience doesn't get thrown some strange curveball for an ending.  Some of the suggested endings sound funny but I think would be disingenuous.  I've read stuff from a certain faction that thinks Sheldon and Penny should end up together, something that makes no sense to me, if we assume that the characters will grow, rather than morph into some totally different characters.

This show has, through its 6 seasons, engendered a lot of interest in and affection for the characters, and I hope the writers are sensitive to that when the time comes to wrap up the story.  I am not sure, as of now, how that story could end in a satisfying way without Leonard and Penny being together.  Some will object to that kind of romantic ending, but I think it can be done with appropriate amounts of humor.  For sure you will never be able to please everyone with how the show progresses and concludes.  I guess we'll see when the time comes. 

I think you are right about L/P having a happily ever after since that's how the show has been setup since the pilot. I'm pretty sure we won't see any romantic curve balls since the relationships are pretty basic.

Unlike the protagonists of other sitcoms, the four guys are portrayed as socially unsophisticated, the normal twist and turns you see on RomComs (How I Met your Mother)  would hurt them deeply. TBBT fans are very protective of the guys because of this characteristic and series co-creator, Chuck Lorre says the current show's lead producer, Steve Malero, is as protective of them as if he were a parent. 

Edited by BangerMain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A famous brain type person and actress couple becomes friends with Lenoard and Penny.  They donate a whole bunch of money and they open up a huge research/acting schools in a building. And the gang all goes to work in the same building every day.   

I'm going to take a different path when predicting how the show should end....

1. I somehow dont see Lenoard and Penny ending up together.... I feel the ending will be like the wonder years where Leonard would be successful in his career and a much more confident person...he'll probably marry someone new he meets on his travels...maybe someone working on a project with him. His relationship with Penny would give him the confidence to deal with women and relationships  (as has been happening with each passing series).

2. Leonard is not the best influence for Penny because as the seasons progress I see her changing from this pretty and cheerful girl with dreams into a lush... there are more episodes than I can count on my fingers where she is hitting the bottle and her dreams of acting seem to have fallen by the wayside...what I would ideally love to happen to her is that she bags a role in some sci-fi/superhero movie and achieves cult status, and the knowledge she gained from years of hanging out with the guys pays off....in the last episode, maybe the guys and their better halves are watching tv together and Penny is being interviewed and everyone is happy for her..

3. I'd love Sheldon to actually achieve something big in his career (something long pending since his north pole expedition results were messed by the others and his radio interview was ruined by Kripke)....but I really hope he doesn't end up with Amy because I feel he respects her intelligence and is fond of her, but I really dont see any chemistry....I thought he had a better chemistry with Leslie in the old seasons....she was his intellectual match and he has often mentioned that he considers biology an inferior subject to physics (the blue jay episode and when Amy gets published in a journal) so I somehow see him ending with someone in the same field

4. Amy might shed the dowdy appearence and might turn into a party girl.....she might feel she missed out on a lot in life and decide to enjoy life for a while..she seems to have crossed the high school phase and is entering the college phase....so I find it hard to believe she will settle down when the show ends.

5. Howard and Bernadette might have a kid (since the topic of kids was addressed already).....I feel there will be friction when Howard realises being a sit at home dad is no fun and Bernadette becomes even more driven  by ambition....I think they'll fight but eventually patch up ...I see them happy together in the end....maybe both will work while Howard's Mum looks after the kid (refer the three little pigs and the hair on the chin story)

6. Raj will meet some girl and fight with his parents to be with her, only to maybe discover she is part Indian....his father seems more open to Raj marrying an outsider than his mother so it would be fun to see their reaction to such a scenario....I think Raj would defintiely marry by the end of the show...I hope he doesnt have an arranged marriage to some random Indian girl because he also deserves true love after all the troubles he has had with the deaf girl, lucy etc....

• Like 1

@ Panki

One thing about RAJ

Raj has always been a problematic character for TBBT. On top of never really knowing what to do with him in the first place, the show has grown lazier and lazier with the guy throughout the years. Often times, he's just shoved off by the writers and turned into an easy punchline that is something like, "Hey, he has a funny accent! Jokes!" Moreover, there's always been a hindering indication that he is gay, something fans of the show talk about often, but Big Bang never has put this question in the spotlight. Both of these facts are frustrating, because we all can agree that Raj is a sweet guy. He clearly has a good heart, wants the best for his friends, and has all that other warm and fuzzy stuff that makes up a good person. But when Raj isn't given anything substantial beyond surface level crap, it's not only hard for the audience to see him as a complete character, it's also very difficult to care about him. What this all means is that, typically, episodes that feature him aren't very good. Especially in the Monster Isolation episode he was so sissy panty I felt embarassed for his slackness with a bottle always in his mouth and what a waste of space regarding his scientific achievements. No wonder that Sheldon offered him to work for him so to help him to stay in Pasadena. (Go back to India to get a Maserati, I say, to a spoiled smoocher)

Edited by wannamaker

(Not all in one episode!)

Leonard wins a Nobel Prize and becomes chairman of the Physics Department. Sheldon is consumed with jealousy and finally does something at work that gets him fired. He has to go work for Amy as her assistant until Leonard can find a way to get him back at his old job. 

Penny becomes Professor Penny of a kids science show, and becomes a nerd icon/sex symbol. She and Leonard married earlier, and at the close of the show she is pregnant. 

Raj finds somebody he can talk to and isn't married yet but we know he will be.

Howard has been home for the last season or two as househusband, raising some teeny tiny babies. The jokes about him all revolve around him not having a job, not being the breadwinner, being an overwhelmed Dad, etc. 

Final episode, Amy gives Sheldon yet another ultimatum, and he finally agrees to have sex with her. In that last episode he loves it and realizes what he has been missing. We hear him in another room telling Amy, "I want to have your baby!"

Leonard and Penny overhear, and he says, "I bet they'd have nice kids. Smart and beautiful."

Penny looks at him and says, "No, it's our kids that will be smart and beautiful." They kiss. The End.

My view is that, in the end, after creating characters that a lot of us came to care about and that, I think,  we want to see live happily ever after, they need to ensure that the audience doesn't get thrown some strange curveball for an ending.  Some of the suggested endings sound funny but I think would be disingenuous.  I've read stuff from a certain faction that thinks Sheldon and Penny should end up together, something that makes no sense to me, if we assume that the characters will grow, rather than morph into some totally different characters.

This show has, through its 6 seasons, engendered a lot of interest in and affection for the characters, and I hope the writers are sensitive to that when the time comes to wrap up the story.  I am not sure, as of now, how that story could end in a satisfying way without Leonard and Penny being together.  Some will object to that kind of romantic ending, but I think it can be done with appropriate amounts of humor.  For sure you will never be able to please everyone with how the show progresses and concludes.  I guess we'll see when the time comes. 

I completely agree with this.  We were introduced to the idea of Leonard and Penny from the get go and the show has at least in part revolved around their relationship.  I don't think it would be "cheesy" or "too predictable" for them to end up together.  Rather, I see it as a pay-off/reward for the viewers who have followed and rooted for them from the beginning.  It worked just fine for Jim and Pam on the office and it will work just fine here.

Here's how I see the final 2-4 seasons (if we can safely assume it will follow the general guidelines of this genre and go for 8-10 total) playing out:

Howard and Bernadette have kid(s).  They've been married for a full season now and the next logical step for them in the time-compressed universe of a TV show is to start a family.  This could happen in season 7, and would give us a reasonable sub-plot to fill time while Leonard and Penny, Sheldon and Amy progress.

Sheldon and Amy finally make love.  I think Amy has cemented herself as a permanent character and the chemistry between her and Sheldon is good enough to continue for the duration of the series.  They've spent enough time beating around this bush that it wouldn't make sense for them to not at some point bring resolution to the matter.  I don't see them getting married before the series ends, but I do see this happening.

Leonard and Penny get married.  This to me is the most obvious future plot point.  The premise of the show is just too heavily invested in these two for them to not eventually make it "legal".  I do, however, see two possibilities for this. 

First would be that they don't get married until the end of the final season.  It would be pretty easy to have the last three episodes be 1.) They prepare for the wedding and flashback on their history 2.) The wedding episode 3.) Leonard and Penny move in together, creating a finale in which Sheldon and Leonard say goodbye to each other as roommates.

The second possiblity would be that they get married with 1 or 2 seasons left.  This would give the audience plenty of time to enjoy a married L&P.  It would also allow for them to have children.  I'd be happy with either scenario.

Another though I had regarding L&P getting married is that it could bring resolution to Penny not having a last name.  The writers have obviously made an effort to continue this throughout the series and it would be kind of a neat thing to have it finally revealed when she becomes Penny Hofstader.

As for Raj, I think now that we've resolved his inability to talk to women (which I see as possibly the first step toward wrapping up the series) he'll find someone and end up happy.  We may see him date various women for the next few seasons in order to keep things interesting, but I think he'll finally find someone and end up in a serious relationship or engaged (think Phoebe and Mike towards the end of Friends).

I think it's reasonable for all of these scenarios to play out over the next 2-4 seasons.  They would provide plenty of material for episodes and we as viewers would be able to say goodbye to the show feeling satisfied and not rushed.  No one wants to see another Seinfeld finale fiasco (which was funny in a Seinfeld kind of way, but not very satisfying) and I think Chuck Lorre is smart enough to realize that he needs to resolve all of these characters and relationships safely.

Final random tidbit:  Maybe we'll finally meet Howard's mother a la finally seeing Wilson's face at the end of Home Improvement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All the characters are happily married.  They are moving on to better opportunities or to raise their families.  Penny, Leonard and Sheldon move out of their apartments.  Later that afternoon, two young female scientists just hired by the university are moving into Leonard's and Sheldon's apartment.  They are both nerds and smart.  One girl resembles Leonard and one acts and looks like Sheldon.  

When they get to the top of the stairs, they look over at Penny's old apartment.  There is a young, good looking minor league baseball player.  They greet each other with awkward hellos, and the familiar story begins all over again.   

• Like 5

Okay, you asked. Leonard slips and has a fling with a grad student (because he could) Penny dumps him, alone, depressed he winds up with Leslie Winkle who plans their future, their home and their 1.2 prospective children. Penny stuck at Comicon bumps into Josh Whedon and gets cast in his next tv endeavour co-starring with charming Nathan Fillion, she promptly moves to LA and life she always dreamed of having. Raj gives Amy a minor makeover, more confidence building and she realizes Caltech is filled with sex-starved nerdy males who are thrilled to go out with her, she dumps Sheldon and has the time of her life. Sheldon wins an award and gets offered tenure at Princeton, he happily moves in with Dr. Elizabeth Plimpton; neither of them has the remotest sexual interest in the other. Bernadette hears Howard call Raj's name when they are making love. She dumps him. Raj and Howard become the couple they were always meant to be and move in with Howard's mother, while the Koothrapallis start planning their Hindu-Jewish wedding in Calif.

ta-da!

• Like 3

Having read all the comments on this thread, I hate to say it, but the show can't go on forever (in reality, meaning much more than 10 years).  Even the greatest baseball player eventually runs out of steam and the trick is knowing when to call it quits to avoid, dare I say, going out with a whimper.  It's always fascinating how we have come to consider TV characters like these as "friends" whom we've come to know over the years (for TBBT, 6 years now).  And when it ends, there is a sadness that even the syndicated re-runs won't prevent.

Some people like the way the characters (at least most of them) have matured over the 6 years, and others wish it was still about 4 nerds socially adrift and unable to have girlfriends.  I don't think either scenario is sustainable over an extended time period.  "Seinfeld", which followed more the second approach with main characters who never really changed or grew at all, and was one of the most popular shows on TV, called it a day after 9 seasons.

As much as I love the show and the characters, I'd prefer it go out on a high note before the eventual, unavoidable, staleness creeps in.  And I think Kaley and Johnny both have significant opportunities to do other stuff, including dramatic roles, and they may decide in a few seasons that enough is enough (I'm not disrespecting the others, but I think Jim and Simon may be considered too much associated with their quirky TBBT characters to make inroads elsewhere - the Seinfeld Kramer dilemma.

In the meantime, for as long as it lasts, we can continue to enjoy our friends on TBBT.  And as for me, well, I'd go with Penny having twins (since Leonard's original comment was plural as regards children).  I'd also hope that the writers don't have all the big life changes happen (if they do happen) at the end of the final season.  I'm for spreading it out.  

• Like 2

I think given the quality of season 6 and the impending season 7, that TBBT should end once season 7 is finished.

Seconded. But I suspect it will end with either Leonard or Penny smothering the lobotomised Sheldon with a pillow, before using a hydrotherapy control panel to break the window and escape from the asylum.

(Leonard or Penny depending on one's sympathies. Mine are with Sheldon, but I fear that's a moot point in this scenario...)

• Like 2

Seconded. But I suspect it will end with either Leonard or Penny smothering the lobotomised Sheldon with a pillow, before using a hydrotherapy control panel to break the window and escape from the asylum.

(Leonard or Penny depending on one's sympathies. Mine are with Sheldon, but I fear that's a moot point in this scenario...)

Like the reference. In my institute we're only allowed half an hour a day on the internet, but the medication is great!(did you read the book that the film was based on?)

• 1 month later...

Penny & Sheldon becomes friends with a very rich man. He leaves his fortune to them on the conditions they marry Leonard and Amy and start a joint research lab and acting school. Which Penny & Sheldon run each part. I see them having an office with a big glass wall between them and each of them closing a curtain on each other when they get annoyed with each other

Edited by gwhh

I actually think BBT is in its best years since Season 4 but thats JMO. And to above lol Penny needs to meet a rich man with Sheldon, they are individuals who have pretty much different lives just saying. Kaley has always said she wants Leonard and Penny to get married in the tenth season. I actually beleive that is possible, ratings wise BBT is in its best year, ratings are prooving that. And the taping reports sound really good JMO. 

Sheldon and Penny start dating in the final season without Leonard knowing. Leonard finds out Penny is cheating on him with Sheldon and furiously moves out. Sheldon and Penny live happily ever after while Leonard goes to live with his mom

:icon_rolleyes:

eta:  the writers aren't that stupid---- they want the money to keep rolling in even after the show is over.  So keep dreaming!

Edited by ArmyGirl

Leonard and Penny are happy together and Penny is pregnant. Penny dies at childbirth while giving birth to Leonard's twins. Leonard is depressed and decides to go to india with Raj and put the twins up for adoption. Howard and Bernadette take one baby and start a family . Sheldon and Amy take the other one. They get married and Amy moves into apartment 4A

Edited by thephantom

:icon_rolleyes:

eta:  the writers aren't that stupid---- they want the money to keep rolling in even after the show is over.  So keep dreaming!

Lol I swear some people who watch this show live on another planet, I am sorry I have watched the show since the pilot, the only time I even started to notice the idea of this Sheldon and Penny thing, is when I went on the internet. If you serioulsey beleive after 10 years (assuming it well go that far), that after almost a decade of Sheldon devaluing Penny's life, and Penny confused to Sheldon's "deal", and having a brother-sister relationship, and the fact she is in love with Leonard. She well actually then see oh Sheldon! Do these people realize Sheldon and Penny dating 1. Woulden't work and 2. It would destroy the show! I just don't understand why this even began, their has been no suggestion from the characters, writers, even actors that their was ever from the first scene of the show right throughout to S7 that Penny would ever see Sheldon in a romantic light. Besides do you seriousley beleive the writers could sell that, and TBH the idea of Sheldon and Penny dating ended in S3, after the DL ep, it would just be creepy now. Sorry for the rant lol, I just wonder if I am watching the same show, it has always been a brother-sister maternal relationship, and most ppl would agree most of the touching moments of the show have been between Lenny. Most of Sheldon and Penny scenes, have been either Sheldon devaluing Penny's acting career, or just their banter of being from opposite worlds anyway. 

Could you make this ANY MORE DARK!!!!

Leonard and Penny are happy together and Penny is pregnant. Penny dies at childbirth while giving birth to Leonard's twins. Leonard is depressed and decides to go with to india with Raj and put the twins up for adoption. Howard and Bernadette take one baby and start a family . Sheldon and Amy take the other one. They get married and Amy moves into apartment 4A

I have some good and bad ideas how they may end the show for the characters.  Such as Penny and Leonard married, or Penny's acting takes off and she leaves with Leonard's blessing.   One thing that I do think is the ending scene will be 2 young woman moving into Leonard and Sheldon's old apartment, and a young man moving into Penny's old apartment, one girl will look at the guy and sigh saying "Our babies will be smart and beautiful".

Wotcha all. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Not sure how everybody can see Bernadette and Howard having a family just yet. Bernie has said she doesn't like kids and doesn't want to jeopardise her career. Would Howard be willing to be a 'stay at home dad'?