The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
walnutcowboy

Bible On The History Channel.

For those interested in the bible, I just saw the first installment (repeats are on for the next couple of days) of the BIBLE on The History Channel. It's a mini series going on until Easter.

It does miss SOME important facts, but it's a pretty good version of the BIBLE.

So if you get the History Channel check your local listings for the time. 

• Like 1

Do you mean History Channel or Viasat History.

According to the program quide, History Channel shows only storage wars reruns, while Viasat History has a bit higher quality.

But as far as bible histories go, you should always check wether they are paid by some religious organisation.

-If they are, then they are probably a lot of nonscientific drivel, with a lot of religious propaganda added.

Luckily there are unbiased histories about bible too, you know, the kind where real historians tell about the real historical facts of the bible.

It's quite amazing how christians, to whom lies are sin, are prepared to lie so as to support the bible 'truth'. I mean there so called archeologists who claim that dinosaurs were killed in the biblical flood, for example. What nonsense, eh?

Have you noticed that biblical movies and documentaries are often filled with historical inaccuracies.

To me, the biggest inaccuracy is the way the temple of Jerusalem is portrayed in them.
-It is shown as a white floored place of learning, peace and light.

However, in reality the temple was very different place in the times BC.

You see, there were dozens, even hundreds, animal sacrifices done in that temple every day. As a consequence:
-the place was filled with bloodsplatter and gore.
-the air was pregnant with the cloying scent of fresh blood.
-and the smell of scores of very nervous animals waiting to be brutally murdered.
-your ears would have been filled with the susurration of millions of flies that came in to feed on the gore.
-and the screams of dying animals and the cries of animal salesmen.
-and in the night, tens of thousands of rats would converge on the temple, to feast on congealed blood and gore.

That was how the temple really was BC. It is a historical fact. Or should I say historical nightmare.
-Personally I'm thankful that romans tore the place down...

I see it's already scheduled for Blu-ray release on April 2nd. I'll see it that way.

I'm glad it's so popular.

I like the fact it's on TV for those people that wouldn't buy it.

I see it's already scheduled for Blu-ray release on April 2nd. I'll see it that way.

You could save money by going to the library and getting some decent history books for your perusal.

-Of course, reading would require mental effort, whereas with tv-documentary you can just sit on your chair in a comatose state, stuffing your face with dingdongs, while the bloke on the telly drones on about this and that...

Edited by Sherminator

I just got through watching the 2nd episode. It's still pretty well on the ball.

The only issue I have with it is that it skips things that I think are important, but if "THEY" put everything in it it would take months instead of weeks.

You could save money by going to the library and getting some decent history books for your perusal.

-Of course, reading would require mental effort, whereas with tv-documentary you can just sit on your chair in a comatose state, stuffing your face with dingdongs, while the bloke on the telly drones on about this and that...

I actually read quite a lot (I always have a book going and constantly read the Bible). I also watch & collect movies (almost 900 on our shelves now). It's not about saving money or not wanting to put forth the effort to read... It's about wanting the Blu-ray.

Edited by Anomaly

I just got through watching the 3rd installment.

In my OPINION its a good show for those who don't know the BIBLE (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth).

Good in background, not too deep in details. 

While I haven't seen any of it yet (waiting for the BD), I have seen comparison pictures... Why does Satan look like Barack Obama? If anyone, he should have resembled Dick Cheney.

Well, I tried it out and it looks to be a typical white-washed piece of crap.

I got as far as the part where Lot was about to leave Sodom. When the crowd came to get the angels at Lots house, they skipped over the part where Lot offers up his 2 virgin daughters to the angry crowd to do with as they please. Nope, we don't want people to know the nasty bits. That might cause people to start thinking and questioning and we can't have that.

Why this show is on the History channel is beyond me. It would be OK if it was part of a show about cultural mythology, or perhaps something on influential literature. But to present a dramatization of a set of myths without actually being true to the source material is pure propaganda. I mean, there are people who believe this stuff and to show only a whitewashed version of the "events" is disingenuous.

Shouldn't the history channel stick with things that actually happened?

If the History Channel "stuck with things that actually happened" the would take 4,000 years to make!

In making of this miniseries somethings have to be left out.

Now that being said, I TOTALLY agree with you about what "THEY" have been leaving out!

Leaving Lot's daughters out was just plain wrong!! 

As I've said elsewhere, I think that this series is a SIMPLE guideline for those who would like to know more about the BIBLE and NOT an END ALL/ BE ALL text of the BIBLE

If the History Channel "stuck with things that actually happened" the would take 4,000 years to make!

In making of this miniseries somethings have to be left out.

Now that being said, I TOTALLY agree with you about what "THEY" have been leaving out!

Leaving Lot's daughters out was just plain wrong!! 

As I've said elsewhere, I think that this series is a SIMPLE guideline for those who would like to know more about the BIBLE and NOT an END ALL/ BE ALL text of the BIBLE

The problem is that if the nasty bits are left out, then it isn't really a way to "know more about the bible".

If one only hears the "cherry-picked" version from their priest / pastor / or shows like "the bible" and one doesn't hear about the murderous, misogynous, immoral bits, then one can't really say that one has any real idea about the book at all.

One might even come away thinking that the bible is a "good" book or that it is a source of morality or some other such nonsense.

Actually the Bible is claimed by the believers to be the word of God.

Myself I do not follow religious studies to the core and don't have a great knowledge of the sacre scriptures.

So I gather that a program like that would appeal to people as a sheer curiosity and entertainment, having the time to watch it.

The problem is that if the nasty bits are left out, then it isn't really a way to "know more about the bible".

If one only hears the "cherry-picked" version from their priest / pastor / or shows like "the bible" and one doesn't hear about the murderous, misogynous, immoral bits, then one can't really say that one has any real idea about the book at all.

One might even come away thinking that the bible is a "good" book or that it is a source of morality or some other such nonsense.

If you've read & understand the entire book, you'd know that it is.

Actually the Bible is claimed by the believers to be the word of God.

Myself I do not follow religious studies to the core and don't have a great knowledge of the sacre scriptures.

So I gather that a program like that would appeal to people as a sheer curiosity and entertainment, having the time to watch it.

Well it shouldn't be on the History channel if it is just propaganda. If it is entertainment then maybe it should be on the Oprah network or something.

As for some people thinking it is the word of a god, I presume that those people would think of it metaphorically rather than literally. There are too many things that have been shown to be literally false (virgin births, talking snakes, a world wide flood, the repopulation of the earth from 2 people within the past few thousand years, etc.).

If you've read & understand the entire book, you'd know that it is.

I've read the bible cover to cover on several occasions. I've also read holy books from other religions as well and have also taken several courses related to religious thought through a religious college affiliated with my university.

So I have a very good idea about the moral stance that it propagates. I can't imagine how someone could suggest that it is a source of morality with its position on things like slavery, the role of women, genocide, etc.

How is the path to salvation & everlasting life, bad? Just because bad things happen in the Bible, doesn't make the book itself bad. Besides, truth isn't always pretty.

• Like 1

How is the path to salvation & everlasting life, bad? Just because bad things happen in the Bible, doesn't make the book itself bad. Besides, truth isn't always pretty.

Seriously? Even if those bad things are held to be the moral high ground?

For instance, the bible is very clear about slavery. It's a GOOD thing (both old and new testament. And I'm not talking about the parts of the bible that talk about indentured servitude).

Now please don't tell me that you are pro-slavery.

Of course, if one held that the bible was the source of ones morality, I guess one would have to consider slavery to be "good".

I don't believe that the Bible states that slavery is a good thing.

I have mixed feelings on this miniseries.  I think it's a decent representation of events though it is hard to spend adequate time on everything.  And certain events mean more to some than to others. 

But I feel if it stirs interest in people finding out more about God and His Word then that's a good thing...

I don't believe that the Bible states that slavery is a good thing.

Well then, I suggest reading the entire bible. You'd be surprised at what is in there.

Well then, I suggest reading the entire bible. You'd be surprised at what is in there.

I did, and I was.

If your version of "the truth" requires you to assasinate the beliefs of others with half-truths, it must be a small and petty thing indeed.

I did, and I was.

If your version of "the truth" requires you to assasinate the beliefs of others with half-truths, it must be a small and petty thing indeed.

I have also read the entire Bible.  I am always amazed and inspired by it.  That's the main reason that I read it so often....