Bible On The History Channel.

walnutcowboy

Please show me where I claim to provide proof in my post on the books of the Bible. You should know that post is a cut and paste article, an article that I find interesting.

In the future you might consider citing a source so that people don't get the mistaken impression that your posts are your opinion and not someone elses.

Your understanding is limited to physical science only. And without the ability to accept the non-physical you are limited.

Right you are. I do have a limited understanding - limited to reality that is.

Again, you make the mistake of saying I have claiimed proof when I have not.

Please read carefully before you post, that way you will avoid error.

Perhaps you should read your posts before posting them.

Beginning a post with "One of the most fascinating proofs that the Bible is the inspired word of God is..." without stating that this is just an article you think is interesting kind of gives the impression that you agree with what follows.

In the future you might consider citing a source so that people don't get the mistaken impression that your posts are your opinion and not someone elses.

Right you are. I do have a limited understanding - limited to reality that is.

Next time I will site the source.

With regard to your understanding, you are limited to what you perceive to be reality.

Perhaps you should read your posts before posting them.

Beginning a post with "One of the most fascinating proofs that the Bible is the inspired word of God is..." without stating that this is just an article you think is interesting kind of gives the impression that you agree with what follows.

Siting the source will help in future. And of course will avoid plagiarism, now that I think of it.

Edited by Catweazle

God’s stamp of approval

One of the most fascinating proofs that the Bible is the inspired word of God is found in how God inspired His servants to number and order the books of Scripture.

The common "Protestant" ordering of the Old Testament canon includes 39 books, containing the same content that the Jewish ordering grouped into 22 differently-arranged books.  For example, 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings were combined into one book.   When Ezra and Nehemiah finished the final canonization of the Old Testament, there were only 22 books.   Writing around 100ad, Josephus states: “We have not a countless number of books, discordant and arrayed against each other; but only 22 books, containing the history of every age, which are justly accredited as divine.”  From 170ad on, dozens of additional Christian scholars affirm the 22 books of the Old Testament. 

So, what is the significance of the number 22?  In Psalm 119, notice that before verse number one there is a symbol with the name Aleph by it.  Then before v. 9 there is another symbol with the name Beth.  Every 8th verse in Psalm 119 begins this way.  The names next to the symbols are letters of the Hebrew alphabet, and in the Hebrew language each verse within that grouping of eight verses begins with that Hebrew letter.  This style of poetic writing is called an acrostic, and Psalm 119 is a perfect, complete acrostic praising God’s perfect law, because every letter of the Hebrew alphabet was used; all 22 of them.    

The Old Testament Holy Scriptures, as the Jews preserved them, were considered a perfect acrostic.  Twenty-two books of Scripture – 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet.  There was nothing else that could be added to the Old Testament.  All the letters were used up.

Peter was responsible for the first canonization of the New Testament, and John was responsible for the second canonization before his death in the late 90s ad.  The numbering of the 27 New Testament books is not disputed, but the ordering is. 

Peter and John placed the general epistles, James, 1 and 2 Peter, 1, 2, 3 John directly after the four gospels and the book of Acts.  However, in the 400s, Jerome moved Paul’s letters forward to be directly after the four gospels and the book of Acts.  Writing for Roman leaders, it is believed that Jerome wanted to give Paul’s writings prominence over the general, supposedly “more Jewish in tone” epistles.

Here are some amazing numerical facts based on the original inspired grouping and ordering of the Bible: 

1. The Old Testament contains seven (God’s number of completion) parts:  the Law, the Former Prophets, the Major Prophets, the Minor Prophets, the Poetic books, the Megillot, and the Latter Restoration books.
  2. The four Gospels (which tell the story of Jesus’ life) and Acts (which continues the story of what Jesus did through the Church) is the center of Scripture.  There are 22 books that come before and 22 that come after, making Christ the center of the Bible and the chief cornerstone.
  3. Peter, the apostle to the Jews, canonized 22 books, which is exactly the number of books that existed in the Old Testament.
  4. Together, the 22 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament equal 49, or 7 x 7, God’s number of completion squared. 

The Bible was written over a period of 1,500 years in many different locations by more than 40 authors.  Yet, through His consistent use of a complex pattern of numbers and order, God places His divine stamp of approval upon it.

The above article which I found online, is a fascinating insight into the proof of how God gave the world the Bible.

One sees throughtout scripture how numbers are an important part of God's plan.

Numbers are so important to God that He called His forth book of the Bible "Numbers".

Why would an atheist visit a thread about the Bible?

I believe some atheists are enemies of reason.

Some atheist believe they have the moral highground, yet all they do is create their own moral law.

For me God's law the only true law.

Edited by Catweazle

Because the healthy have no need of a physician...

I assume you mean that people who are healthy (like me) don't need to go to a physician, so they spend that extra time doing interesting things like studying religion.

I assume you mean that people who are healthy (like me) don't need to go to a physician, so they spend that extra time doing interesting things like studying religion.

I am very glad that you are healthy.  I was quoting Jesus who said that He did not come to speak to those who knew Him but to those who didn't.  If a person who does not know or believe in God comes inquiring, I would not want to brush them off at all. 

PS:  I do not study religion and frankly actually don't like the word religion.  I study God and His Word...

Because the healthy have no need of a physician...

What is healthy? Is it healthy to deny God?

Everything has a fundamental truth. Something is either true or not true.

If God's existence is true, then the atheist is not healthy and needs a physician.

If God does not exist then the theist is not healthy and needs a physician.

My position is that the atheist needs a physician...

Of course the atheist will disagree and a circular argument will form.

You believe that you are healthy, as I believe I am healthy. But one of us is sick.

You believe it's me that's sick.  I believe it's you.

You find adsurdity in religion. I find absurdity in religion.

I will also add that I find evil in religion. And not just non-Christian religion, there is evil in Christendom in abundance.

I find absurdity in the evolution belief. Especially when humanity is on course for self annihilation because of religious division, when evolution professes survial.

Things are not what they appear to be.

What is healthy? Is it healthy to deny God?

Everything has a fundamental truth. Something is either true or not true.

If God's existence is true, then the atheist is not healthy and needs a physician.

If God does not exist then the theist is not healthy and needs a physician.

My position is that the atheist needs a physician...

Of course the atheist will disagree and a circular argument will form.

When Jesus used the phrase of the healthy not needing a physician, was Jesus saying He was a physician?  I don't believe so.  He was using it as a metaphor that He did not come to be with or teach or call those who already knew Him.  That is why I would of course want someone who did not believe in Jesus to join me in a conversation about Jesus.  That was the only reason why I quoted that particular verse of Scripture.  Really no great philosophical ulterior motive on my part...:)

When Jesus used the phrase of the healthy not needing a physician, was Jesus saying He was a physician?  I don't believe so.  He was using it as a metaphor that He did not come to be with or teach or call those who already knew Him.  That is why I would of course want someone who did not believe in Jesus to join me in a conversation about Jesus.  That was the only reason why I quoted that particular verse of Scripture.  Really no great philosophical ulterior motive on my part... :)

Your post # 84 came across as a compliment for the atheist.

And indeed the atheist took it as a compliment, as can be seen in post # 86.

My post #84 was neither to applaud nor condemn anyone.  It was merely a statement.  Like I said, if there is a conversation about the Bible, God, Jesus et al then I would welcome an atheist. 

My post #84 was neither to applaud nor condemn anyone.  It was merely a statement.  Like I said, if there is a conversation about the Bible, God, Jesus et al then I would welcome an atheist. 

Your intention is one thing, the way others may see it is another!

@ CATWEAZLE,

I like the fact that KASEY's statement brings the unlearned into a place where adding the original intent of her statement can be made. 

I like it too. That does not negate the fact that one paticular atheist, who considers himself "learned", took her post as a compliment for atheists.

I like it too. That does not negate the fact that one paticular atheist, who considers himself "learned", took her post as a compliment for atheists.

I don't understand.  I explained why I said it and I that I wasn't making any kind of statement about atheists pro or con.  Why would you be concerned whether an atheist took it the wrong way or not?  I neither wavered from my faith nor showed unkindness to another human being.  Isn't that Jesus' great commandment?

I don't understand.  I explained why I said it and I that I wasn't making any kind of statement about atheists pro or con.  Why would you be concerned whether an atheist took it the wrong way or not?  I neither wavered from my faith nor showed unkindness to another human being.  Isn't that Jesus' great commandment?

I don't understand either.

I'm not concerned about the atheist, I just made an observation.

Excellent proof that Bible was not written by God, is the fact that Bible is a very misogynic book.

-I mean in the Bible women are treated as a second class citizens. In Bible, women are considered to be a property of men, nothing more, and the opinions of women are considered worthless in Bible. Paul actually states that women should keep their trap shut in church! Harsh!

Such attitude is not from God. God is not a misogyne, but an egelitarian. To God both men and women are equal in every respect.

So, Biblical texts were written by men, ie males.

BTW, the many males believe in Bible because it gives them an excuse to belittle women and treat women badly.

-I mean it's in the Bible that women are worthless, so these misogynistic men gleefully follow that dogma.

As a woman who believes in the Bible as the infallible Word of God, if any man thinks that the Bible is telling them to belittle women and/or treat them badly then they are reading it wrong...