Bible On The History Channel.

walnutcowboy

If you take parts of the BIBLE out of context, you can always MAKE your "view" make sense.

The first point I'll make at this point is that if ONLY men can teach the BIBLE how do you explain ESTER and RUTH which are BOTH books in the Old Testament? 

The second point I'll make is that men are to love their wives as JESUS loves the church. If we as men treat our wives as JESUS loves the church, then they CAN'T be just property but a valued member of the church.

But SHERMINATOR, you already knew that didn't you?

OBTY welcome back, I haven't seen you around lately.! 

Have you noticed that the Church is running a protection racket!!!

I mean the church says that we must give them a percentage of our income, otherwise we will end up in hell!

So theyre collecting protection money from us.

Funny thing is, you do not have to pay to get to heaven, nor do you really need to belong to a church to attain salvation...

If you take parts of the BIBLE out of context, you can always MAKE your "view" make sense.

Do you mean Catholic's context or Protestant?

The entirety of Christendom have taken the Bible out of context.

Most christian churches are still very hostile towards women, not allowing them to be priests and so on.

Also, fundamentalist christian sects do not allow women to do anything else either, but condemn them into a household slavery.

And church has always been against equal rights for women.

And this misogynism comes from bible.

So, Bible is misogynist book, and hence, Christianity misogynist religion.

This is a fact, and anyone saying different is a brazen liar!

The first point I'll make at this point is that if ONLY men can teach the BIBLE how do you explain ESTER and RUTH which are BOTH books in the Old Testament? 

The second point I'll make is that men are to love their wives as JESUS loves the church. If we as men treat our wives as JESUS loves the church, then they CAN'T be just property but a valued member of the church.

But SHERMINATOR, you already knew that didn't you?

OBTY welcome back, I haven't seen you around lately.! 

It looks like your insightful post has fallen on deaf ears.

Questions:

Would you listen to a sermon from a female priest???

Would you respect the theological ideas and teachings of a female priest???

Would you be willing to learn something from a female priest and her theological wievs???

Or would you just dismiss her ideas and thoughts on religion because she is a woman???

Answering these questions honestly, will tell you whether you have been brainwashed into the male chauvinist dogmas of christianity.

Personally, I've listened to both male and female theologists and priests, and have not found much difference therein. Theyre equal to me.

Personally, I've listened to both male and female theologists and priests, and have not found much difference therein. Theyre equal to me.

No surprise there!

If a male or female preaches what Christendom advocates then they're both equal in theological error!

Edited by Catweazle

In Bible it says that the jews are the chosen people of God.

Now, the Bible was written by Jews.

So of course it says the Jews are the chosen people. What else would it say!!!

Remember that over the last ten thousand years, countless of nations have risen and fallen. And most of those nations had a sort of holy script about their birth. And most of these holy scripts claim that their writers were the chosen people of Gods, whereas all other peoples are some sort of sub species.

So, the claim for being The Chosen People has been made countless of times by countless of nations. It is nothing new or original, and it's nothing real either.

Did you know jews had, and might still have, a section of theology dedicated to mathematics!

And they claimed that their holy texts, ie the texts of Old Testament, are mathematically perfect.

What the ancient jews of old did was give each letter a numeric value. then they counted numbers up in the different words, sentences and chapters of the bible, and divided the sums and so on in many ways. and they came up with lot of perfect numbers, which seemed to indicate that the texts were indeed mathematically perfect.

And this, they said, proved that the texts were divine.

Catweazle at least has heard of this.

Funnily enough, a christian mathematician in the 60's decided to check the numbers  to see if they were correct. They were not. It turned out the jews of antiquity had been rounding numbers up and down the line, so as to get all those perfect sums and numbers.

so, the Bible is not really mathematically correct

Even though many christians and jews still believe this old myth like it was true...

That is a gift Catweazle has (eidetic memory) to be able to note and name all the passages of the Bible.(gracious of him)
Altough many of the Bible readers mix and match many passages at random... that I've come to know.

* Regarding the concept of divinization thru numbers, do you state it is a divine law in principle or a theory law hypothesis?
  In a theory law hypothesis > numbers are subject to human errors > so do not cast a spell..as to speak.
  Whereas, if it's a divine law in principle that is immanent and absolute... so no errors cannot be allowed.

On somewhat more humorous note:

Here in Finland, a lady recently wrote a cookbook, that recommended the use of salt, cream and butter in cooking and baking.

Critics did not like the book, because they knew that salt, cream and butter are actually very unhealthy.

The author lady answered thusly:

-Salt, butter and cream are recommended by the Bible. So they must be good for you!!!

I kid you not, that's what the author said, and also said that she will keep using a lot of salt, butter and cream on her cooking, because so the Good Book tells her to do!!!

Funny, is it not?

And a good example how too much religion can really mess a lesser mind...

In Bible it says that the jews are the chosen people of God.

Now, the Bible was written by Jews.

So of course it says the Jews are the chosen people. What else would it say!!!

Remember that over the last ten thousand years, countless of nations have risen and fallen. And most of those nations had a sort of holy script about their birth. And most of these holy scripts claim that their writers were the chosen people of Gods, whereas all other peoples are some sort of sub species.

So, the claim for being The Chosen People has been made countless of times by countless of nations. It is nothing new or original, and it's nothing real either.

Your lack of biblical understanding is your constant stumbling block.

The Bible does not say that the Jews are the chosen people. It says that the children of Israel, or the Israelites, are the chosen people. The Jews are but one of 12 tribes.

Neither are the Jews the only people to write the Bible.

Example: Moses was not a Jew, Moses was a Levite from the tribe of Levi. Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible. Hense your claim is false.

Another example of your biblical ignorance is your claim about the rise and fall of nations over 10,000 years. Biblical recorded history goes back only 6,000 years.

I'm wondering if you even know the biblical purpose of the Israelites being a chosen people as your understanding of scripture is evidently limited.

Edited by Catweazle

Your lack of biblical understanding is your constant stumbling block.

The Bible does not say that the Jews are the chosen people. It says that the children of Israel, or the Israelites, are the chosen people. The Jews are but one of 12 tribes.

Neither are the Jews the only people to write the Bible.

Example: Moses was not a Jew, Moses was a Levite from the tribe of Levi. Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible. Hense your claim is false.

Another example of your biblical ignorance is your claim about the rise and fall of nations over 10,000 years. Biblical recorded history goes back only 6,000 years.

I'm wondering if you even know the biblical purpose of the Israelites being a chosen people as your understanding of scripture is evidently limited.

I agree there just as much as I know for myself...

Just a personal political question here. The promised land is to be shared by all? (current affairs question)

Another funny story somewhat related to the topic at hand:

Recently, a christian fundamentalist church in Finland, decided to start their own inquisition!

That's right, inquisition!

What they do, apparently, is that the inquisition does random house calls to the members of the church, and search the houses for sinfull stuff (such as adult magazines, violent movies, rock music, condoms, sexy underwear and so on).

And if they find such sinfull stuff, they will then take that stuff away, and give the culprit a good talking to.

So, the members of that particular church live in the constant fear of inquisition.

To me, that is really nutty, and a bit funny too. But catweazle will no doubt be applauding such actions of inquisitionism...

Still, I have been following the chuch in question from it's inception (not a member, mind!) and I'm not surprised it has come to this. The founder of the cult is a very serious one, and I have not seen him ever crack a smile...

To me, that is really nutty, and a bit funny too. But catweazle will no doubt be applauding such actions of inquisitionism...

Most Churches including your example go against what is biblical. All my doctrinal beliefs are based on scripture, therefore your certainty of my actions are as incorrect as your biblical knowledge. The upside for you is that you should learn from your stumbles.

I'm as critical as you on Church behaviour, but In a different way.

I see Bible as a guidebook.

It's function is to guide us to Jesus. To help us find Jesus.

And once you found Jesus, and accepted Him as your personal saviour and master, you no longer need the Bible, apart from helping others with it.
-because when you have found Jesus, you have become free and saved.

Sadly, many people become so obsessed with this guidebook, that they forget all about Jesus.
-Instead of worshiping Jesus, they start worshiping the word of Bible. And that leads to heresy, with Jehova's witnesses being a good warning example.

Remember, it's a guidebook. It guides you to the goal, but it's not a goal in itself.

It's like a pointing finger. Now, if somebody points his finger at some target, do you focuse on the pointing finger? -Of course not! Same with Bible. Focuse on Christ, not the Bible. Because if you do not, then Bible will come between you and salvation.
-after all, it has happened before: Farisees and scribes of Jesuses time, were not able to see Christ as the messiah, because their holy scriptures were in the way, blocking the wiew.

I see Bible as a guidebook.

It's function is to guide us to Jesus. To help us find Jesus.

And once you found Jesus, and accepted Him as your personal saviour and master, you no longer need the Bible, apart from helping others with it.

-because when you have found Jesus, you have become free and saved.

Sadly, many people become so obsessed with this guidebook, that they forget all about Jesus.

-Instead of worshiping Jesus, they start worshiping the word of Bible. And that leads to heresy, with Jehova's witnesses being a good warning example.

Remember, it's a guidebook. It guides you to the goal, but it's not a goal in itself.

It's like a pointing finger. Now, if somebody points his finger at some target, do you focuse on the pointing finger? -Of course not! Same with Bible. Focuse on Christ, not the Bible. Because if you do not, then Bible will come between you and salvation.

-after all, it has happened before: Farisees and scribes of Jesuses time, were not able to see Christ as the messiah, because their holy scriptures were in the way, blocking the wiew.

Where does one start with such lack of understanding!!

Here is a man who's bibilcal knowledge is so limited that he didn't even know that the Jews are but one of 12 tribes of Israel. He didn't know that Moses was a Levite.

So, according to this man once Christians have found Jesus they no longer need the Bible.

I wonder why Paul didn't tell the Bereans to stop searching the scriputures, as the Bereans were Christians who had accepted Christ.

So, according to Sherm Paul failed his brethern.

Acts 17:10-11

New King James Version (NKJV)

10 Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

Here in Finland, we have an organisation called Victims of Religion.

This organisation helps people who have been victimized or hurt by religion. For example:

-They help people who have been lured into some strange cult, and who desperately want to get out of the said cult.

-They help people whose mind have been broken by too much religion. The poor wretches are offered professional psychiatric care, and also mutual support from others who have had same kind of experiences.

-They also help youngsters who have run away from religious communities. For there are several such communities in Finland, and ever so often a child raised up in one will run away from such fundamentalist community. These kids are offered foster homes, and they are shielded from their nutty parents till they are of full age.

So, very important job and the organisation sure has it's hands full, because here in Finland we have like hundreds of cults and sects and whatnots, not all of them christian origin, though...

I bet such organisation would be direly needed in the ultrareligious USA, the promised land of, ahem, eccentrics...
(eccentric = lunatic, only more polite)

Religion: it can make you, or it can break you. You can never tell beforehand, because gods are capricious beings.
(capricious = barking mad)

"Religion: it can make you, or it can break you. You can never tell beforehand, because gods are capricious beings.
(capricious = barking mad)
:my:

Finland a very strangeland 214.gif  and not a fairyland as i believed it to be.

Remember the story about Jesus turning water into wine?

Well, here's the interesting part:

Bible says that all the guests were already well drunk when Jesus made his miracle.

All the guests!

Now, Jesus was also a guest in the wedding. This means that Jesus too was well drunk.
-after all, the scripture cannot be broken!!!

So, the son of God, drunk as a skunk in a wedding. For shame.

Just try not to think what sort of dance moves Jesus would pull when drunk.

Ooops, too late! Youre already thinkin about it, arent you?

Just imagine Jesus on the dance floor, on his nightshirt, trying to pull cool moves to impress Mary, his girlfriend.

Imagine the old Peter on a corner, his head on his hands, groaning with shame.

And imagine the youngest of the disciples, John, eggin Jesus on.

'Come on Jesus, do the sprinkler!'

And before you accuse me of irreverence, remember the following facts:

1.Dancing has always been big part of jewish festivals and parties.

2.Jesus was well known for His fondness of wine.

So, Jesus was very familiar both with dancing and with drunkenness.

Which annoyed scribes and farisees to no end. I mean they wanted a serious, grizzled messiah, not this young and handsome party animal!