Bernadette Should Cheat On Howard

Ar Diem

The saddest part is that Howard used to be an extremely interesting character.

You know that is not really the saddest part for me.  I don't mind that they grew his character because I look at a mostly unchanged Raj and I think the jokes are played out.  They didn't have to make him so vanilla though and if they did they could have made Bernadette interesting and instead she is pretty vanilla herself. She is only entertaining when she is angry and that seldom ever happens.  Their relationship jokes come across like they were written by a remedial romcom class.  I mean ice packs because of sex acts?  Did one of the moron writers from TAHM help write that bit?

Bernadette does little to add to the female group dynamic and her story with Howard is not worth telling anymore.  Servicing their relationship steals time away from the show that could be used for something better.  Shoot, have Sheldon sing the Bird is the Word instead of wasting time on them.

• Like 1

You know that is not really the saddest part for me.  I don't mind that they grew his character because I look at a mostly unchanged Raj and I think the jokes are played out.  They didn't have to make him so vanilla though and if they did they could have made Bernadette interesting and instead she is pretty vanilla herself. She is only entertaining when she is angry and that seldom ever happens.  Their relationship jokes come across like they were written by a remedial romcom class.  I mean ice packs because of sex acts?  Did one of the moron writers from TAHM help write that bit?

Bernadette does little to add to the female group dynamic and her story with Howard is not worth telling anymore.  Servicing their relationship steals time away from the show that could be used for something better.  Shoot, have Sheldon sing the Bird is the Word instead of wasting time on them.

Agreed.

Sure, cheating isn't funny in real life, but this isn't real life. Remember when Leonard and Priya cheated on each other? Were people devastated over that, or was it okay because Leonard and Priya weren't one of their OTPs?

Leonard never cheated on Priya.

Uh, he made out with another woman. You may not consider that 'cheating,' but I'd argue that most people do.

Exactly. The thing is, most people will draw their own lines at the exact point where it stops helping their own personal opinion. That line will then be adjustable as deemed necessary.

Edited by Anomaly

I guess my main objection is that cheating isn't funny. Cheating is DRAMA.  So if this idea is supposed to inject some missing "funny" into the show, it would be the opposite.  Or maybe I just don't find the notion of a heartbroken Howard amusing...

I guess my main objection is that cheating isn't funny. Cheating is DRAMA.  So if this idea is supposed to inject some missing "funny" into the show, it would be the opposite.  Or maybe I just don't find the notion of a heartbroken Howard amusing...

I think it was brought up as a possible way of remedying the many missteps TBBT has taken over the past few seasons... Not to be funny in and of itself.

Unless you are suggesting that every single thing that has happened in almost 7 seasons was scripted to be funny your objection makes no sense.  I know you can't be suggesting that TBBT has never done drama.

I think it was brought up as a possible way of remedying the many missteps TBBT has taken over the past few seasons... Not to be funny in and of itself.

True but when we started getting stupid with the soap opera ideas I have to admit I was laughing.  Not at cheating but just the notion of how ridiculous we were getting.  Of course a sense of humor is lost on many here.

• Like 2

Unless you are suggesting that every single thing that has happened in almost 7 seasons was scripted to be funny your objection makes no sense.  I know you can't be suggesting that TBBT has never done drama.

The other thing is that even though the show is funny, it's following more of an overall dramatic path. Look at the majority of the more successful sit-coms... Most of them didn't alter the characters or basic premise too much, if at all. Sure, once in a great while something big would happen to change a character, but TBBT has been in a state of constant change. This happens in drama, not on sit-coms. It was about four nerds who couldn't get girls. Now it's about couples. It was a sit-com. Now it's a rom-com. It was a geek show. Now it's a chick show.

• Like 1

No, no, of course not.  They have done plenty of drama.

It seems to me that the issue many have with Howard is that he is no longer funny, thus the idea that getting rid of Bernadette will bring us back the "old" Howard. What I'm suggesting is that to get rid of Bernie by having her cheat on Howard will not succeed in getting the old Howard back. He will be totally changed by the experience of having his wife cheat on him.  Whether or not you feel she's a waste of space, it is clear from the show that Howard does love her, so this would be totally devastating.  I suppose they could just have him go right back to being creepy womanizer guy again, but it wouldn't ring true... to me, anyway.

Obviously all this is just my opinion and since my dissent doesn't seem to be too welcome, I'll just bow out of the conversation now.  I'd hate to be accused of taking a sitcom too seriously.  :)

• Like 2

It seems to me that the issue many have with Howard is that he is no longer funny, thus the idea that getting rid of Bernadette will bring us back the "old" Howard. What I'm suggesting is that to get rid of Bernie by having her cheat on Howard will not succeed in getting the old Howard back. He will be totally changed by the experience of having his wife cheat on him.  Whether or not you feel she's a waste of space, it is clear from the show that Howard does love her, so this would be totally devastating.  I suppose they could just have him go right back to being creepy womanizer guy again, but it wouldn't ring true... to me, anyway.

Obviously all this is just my opinion and since my dissent doesn't seem to be too welcome, I'll just bow out of the conversation now.  I'd hate to be accused of taking a sitcom too seriously.  :)

No I totally agree. There is no way to get the old Howard back. We all know this and that is what is so frustrating. Howard has been permanently altered by a life partner who is too different to who he was before. Simon has is such a great comic actor, I think they wasted him on such a conventional marriage. It's also why I enjoy threads like this, letting off steam about it.

Well don't leave the conversation when it is getting good.

The show is not that deep and not true to real life.  Howard would be momentarily devastated but I doubt it would leave long lasting emotional scars because they really don't do that.  Look at how casually they glossed over Raj's inappropriate feelings for Bernadette and his attempted sexual encounter with Penny as well as Leonard making out with Howard's date.   It is kind of hard to believe they are all still close friends but we accept it for some reason.

He lost his creepy and delusional side because he had no further need of them.  Who is to say he won't fall back on bad habits in time?  Or maybe they can give him a new way to be interesting.

No I totally agree. There is no way to get the old Howard back. We all know this and that is what is so frustrating. Howard has been permanently altered by a life partner who is too different to who he was before. Simon has is such a great comic actor, I think they wasted him on such a conventional marriage. It's also why I enjoy threads like this, letting off steam about it.

In fiction land we can do it.  But we all know it isn't happening and that this thread was always a waste of time.  We don't have much else to discuss though.

Do you think we would have enough interest if one of us started a Sheldon shipping thread?  That is who I really hope he ends up with.

Me too. If Sheldon were real he would definitely ship himself. :icon_mrgreen: As for the viability of a thread here… it would be you, me, anomaly and Sheldon posting on it.

Me too. If Sheldon were real he would definitely ship himself. :icon_mrgreen: As for the viability of a thread here… it would be you, me, anomaly and Sheldon posting on it.

That or so many Shamys would show up we would never have any peace.

• Like 1

Do you think we would have enough interest if one of us started a Sheldon shipping thread?  That is who I really hope he ends up with.

Ha! 

You know, I don't really mind Amy, although her original incarnation as a female Sheldon who didn't want a relationship, wasn't interested in physical contact, etc. was more entertaining to me than the fairly typical girl she's become.  Mayim plays her as well as she can, given the material.  But it's almost too bad they decided to give Sheldon a girlfriend, because if we're talking about staying true to character, Sheldon would likely never change enough to entertain the idea of having a woman in his life.

• Like 1

Ha! 

You know, I don't really mind Amy, although her original incarnation as a female Sheldon who didn't want a relationship, wasn't interested in physical contact, etc. was more entertaining to me than the fairly typical girl she's become.  Mayim plays her as well as she can, given the material.  But it's almost too bad they decided to give Sheldon a girlfriend, because if we're talking about staying true to character, Sheldon would likely never change enough to entertain the idea of having a woman in his life.

Changing her to change him was a definite cop-out IMO.  There is such a thing as asexual and aromantic relationships where both partners can be satisfied with a modest level of intimacy and romance.  I could have immediately accepted it as a healthy relationship.  Instead we have this weird demisexual mostly aromantic Sheldon with a normal girl and we have to wait for him to evolve.  At the very least why couldn't they have both grown from where they were originally?   They could have both confessed to wanting a more normal relationship and give Penny a bigger role in coaching them to that end.  There would have been a ton of comedy there to mine.  I can just imagine Penny trying to explain to Amy why she should want to hold Sheldon's hand and after a few outings they both agree that it is pleasurable.

It would have been so much easier to ship them.  But now I just want Sheldon to stop cheating on himself with Amy and realize his one true love will always be himself. 

I just saw this thread; I have one word - bring back Glen! Glen, mighty tall & handsome. Have Bernadette run away with Glen & then lonely Howard the divorce must get back on the dating horse. I think that would be hysterical but these ghastly writers have turned the show into utter romcom slop...

And I totally agree Sheldon would ship Sheldon, but I would love to see him get some action with Leonard's mom, that would be  poignant and Freudian and Leonard would combust. I barely watch the show now it's so deadly dull...

• Like 1

I just saw this thread; I have one word - bring back Glen! Glen, mighty tall & handsome. Have Bernadette run away with Glen & then lonely Howard the divorce must get back on the dating horse. I think that would be hysterical but these ghastly writers have turned the show into utter romcom slop...

And I totally agree Sheldon would ship Sheldon, but I would love to see him get some action with Leonard's mom, that would be  poignant and Freudian and Leonard would combust. I barely watch the show now it's so deadly dull...

I am betting I would have so much fun with you in a hotseat.   There is still a spot open for this season.  Please go down to Chit Chat and sign up. :icon_lol:  

Edited by Ar Diem

I am betting I would have so much fun with you in a hotseat.   There is still a spot open for this season.  Please go down to Chit Chat and sign up. :icon_lol:  

Ar Diem ; hmm, I'm too snarky to answer questions like that nicely :icon_twisted:  lol.  I forgot to add,  in response to those unicorn lovers who say ' X is never funny; you can't make jokes about it." My response is Hogan's Heroes if you can make an hysterical sitcom about Nazis and a concentration camp (and Robert Clery was in one...amazing)  there are no sacred cows. There should never be for humour.

• Like 1

Ar Diem ; hmm, I'm too snarky to answer questions like that nicely :icon_twisted:  lol.  I forgot to add,  in response to those unicorn lovers who say ' X is never funny; you can't make jokes about it." My response is Hogan's Heroes if you can make an hysterical sitcom about Nazis and a concentration camp (and Robert Clery was in one...amazing)  there are no sacred cows. There should never be for humour.

Come and be snarky with me.  The snarkier the better.  I tailor every hotseat for the the person I am questioning.  If I know you can have fun with me more unfiltered then so be it.  But, hey, if you are scared...