The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ar Diem

Is Raj Liked Well Enough To Pull Off A Cutesy Couple Romance?

As far as primary cast members go I would rank him at the bottom just ahead of Bernadette and Stuart.  The way they have written him has been so obnoxious at times.  He usually has to be in big situations (like with Howard's mom) to be the primary on comedy.  His selective mutism is exhausting now.

Thanks to his boundary issues they either have to ignore that he tried to sleep with Penny and fantasized about Bernadette if they inject her into the girls group or somehow make Lucy okay with it.

Is he the loveable scamp or the ongoing doosh for you?  I think I am somewhere in the middle.  I don't think they have done enough yet to fix him to make me think he is ready for a relationship.  He just gave a heartwarming speech and the followed it up with calling his crowd a bunch of losers 3 episodes ago.

i havent decided whether i like it yet still but raj is my 3rd favourite character 

How do you rank them all?

He is an obnoxious drunk; but he seems an innocent in many ways. If they would just bring out his metro-sexual character & showcase his social awkardness, the character could grow naturally. But he as to be able to speak! The mutism is exhausting.

Also, Penny should not get a pass and Raj assume all the blame for their encounter. She may have initiated it. She helped him with the preventative device that caused the "premature" experience!

A

Is he the loveable scamp or the ongoing doosh for you? 

I will go with doosh.

Here richly, with ridiculous display,

The Douchebag's corpse was laid away.

While all of his acquaintance sneered and slanged

I wept:

for I had longed to see him hanged.

Apologies to Belloc

Edited by Disgusted

I will go with doosh.

Here richly, with ridiculous display,

The Douchebag's corpse was laid away.

While all of his acquaintance sneered and slanged

I wept:

for I had longed to see him hanged.

Apologies to Belloc

^5

(I don't have a like button on my phone)

He is an obnoxious drunk; but he seems an innocent in many ways. If they would just bring out his metro-sexual character & showcase his social awkardness, the character could grow naturally. But he as to be able to speak! The mutism is exhausting.

Also, Penny should not get a pass and Raj assume all the blame for their encounter. She may have initiated it. She helped him with the preventative device that caused the "premature" experience!

I don't think we need to get into the whole who was more responsible for their encounter debate again.  Whether he took more advantage because she was drunk or whether or not they were equally responsible it takes two to almost tangle and he was one of the two.

He is obnoxious, he is innocent, his mutism is annoying, and he can be a really good friend.  That was kind of the point of this thread. 

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

As far as primary cast members go I would rank him at the bottom just ahead of Bernadette and Stuart.  The way they have written him has been so obnoxious at times.  He usually has to be in big situations (like with Howard's mom) to be the primary on comedy.  His selective mutism is exhausting now.

Thanks to his boundary issues they either have to ignore that he tried to sleep with Penny and fantasized about Bernadette if they inject her into the girls group or somehow make Lucy okay with it.

Is he the loveable scamp or the ongoing doosh for you?  I think I am somewhere in the middle.  I don't think they have done enough yet to fix him to make me think he is ready for a relationship.  He just gave a heartwarming speech and the followed it up with calling his crowd a bunch of losers 3 episodes ago.

If only people who are "ready" could be in relationships, then the world would be a much better place, and easy place, and barely populated.

IMO, maybe putting him into one could redeem him. Or totally backfire. I'll just wait and see.

If only people who are "ready" could be in relationships, then the world would be a much better place, and easy place, and barely populated.

IMO, maybe putting him into one could redeem him. Or totally backfire. I'll just wait and see.

I think if you looked at my post in context you will see I meant to ask if he is ready for the audience to accept him in a cutesy romance or not.

I think if you looked at my post in context you will see I meant to ask if he is ready for the audience to accept him in a cutesy romance or not.

and that's how I took it. I'm part of the audience too.

and that's how I took it. I'm part of the audience too.

Then your reply was really that you are ready for them to be in a relationship then?  I mean I know Raj is your favorite so that is no surprise but your reply seemed to be about something else.

How do you rank them all?

If we're talking about just the expanded main cast...

1: Sheldon

2: (old) Howard

3: Leonard

4: Penny

5: Amy

6: (new) Howard

7: Raj

8: Bernadette

If, on the other hand, we're talking about the expanded, expanded cast, to include main recurring characters...

1: Sheldon

2: (old) Howard

3: Barry Kripke

4: Stuart Bloom

5: Leonard

6: Zack

7: Leslie Winkle

8: Wil Wheaton

9: Penny

10: Amy

11: Raj's Parents (mainly the Father)

12: Dr. Stephanie

13: Sheldon's Mother

14: (new) Howard

15: Raj

16: Priya (I absolutely friggin' hated Priya and she comes in above Bernadette)

17: Bernadette 

Then your reply was really that you are ready for them to be in a relationship then?  I mean I know Raj is your favorite so that is no surprise but your reply seemed to be about something else.

yep. I think he is ready for a relationship, to either have a sucessful relationship, or to crash and burn once and for all. We've had 6 seasons of the same Raj over and over. A change needs to be done, and IMO, a relationship is a good catalyst for a character like his.

eta: Raj is not my favorite, Amy is, but he follows after Sheldon, so, that means, he's third. He used to be #1.. good times...

eta2: by the looks of it so far, I don't think they're going for the "cutesy" romance though. I wish they did. His character needs a dose of sweetness, to make him likeable again.

Edited by Sursonica

yep. I think he is ready for a relationship, to either have a sucessful relationship, or to crash and burn once and for all. We've had 6 seasons of the same Raj over and over. A change needs to be done, and IMO, a relationship is a good catalyst for a character like his.

eta: Raj is not my favorite, Amy is, but he follows after Sheldon, so, that means, he's third. He used to be #1.. good times...

eta2: by the looks of it so far, I don't think they're going for the "cutesy" romance though. I wish they did. His character needs a dose of sweetness, to make him likeable again.

His character definitely needs some work although I am tired of the same old routine of throwing women at the guys to fix or evolve them. 

Funny, when I look at it so far I see the makings of a cutesy romance.  They don't have one on the show and it might be their idea of variety.  I hate the idea unless it is going to be short-lived though.

It's funny... My Wife walked by as I was about to enter this thread and seen the title Is Raj Liked Well Enough... Even she said Oh Hell no. Then again, she's of the same opinion as me, in that she thinks the relationships have messed the show up. That said, she does LOVE Amy though.

• Like 1

His character definitely needs some work although I am tired of the same old routine of throwing women at the guys to fix or evolve them. 

Funny, when I look at it so far I see the makings of a cutesy romance.  They don't have one on the show and it might be their idea of variety.  I hate the idea unless it is going to be short-lived though.

i don't think it is so much as throwing a woman at him as it is giving him a motivation to evolve/change/devolve. You need to set one so it doesn't seem out of nowhere.

Money can't be it: Raj is disgustinly rich. Carreer? he's an accomplished Astrophysicist, so he has that. Friends? He already has great freinds. That, coupled with the fact taht Raj's character has been whining from loneliness since season 1 it's the most believable motivation to have him at least attempting a relationship. It doesn't necessarily need to succeed though, I just think the prospect of that is a good starting point towards taking Raj out of the stagnant place where he has been for 6 seasons already.

It's funny... My Wife walked by as I was about to enter this thread and seen the title Is Raj Liked Well Enough... Even she said Oh Hell no. Then again, she's of the same opinion as me, in that she thinks the relationships have messed the show up. That said, she does LOVE Amy though.

lol.

I figured if I am going to have a civil discussion I needed to start this before people started forming strong opinions about them.

Speaking just for me, my answer is no.  I want him to change but I can't say I am invested in his happiness.  I think by steadily steering clear of sentimentality it makes it hard to balance character flaws and I find him more annoying than funny most of the time now.

i don't think it is so much as throwing a woman at him as it is giving him a motivation to evolve/change/devolve. You need to set one so it doesn't seem out of nowhere.

But if she helps him cure his selective mutism doesn't that strike you are fairy tale-ish?  If he is cured any other way you are right it would not have come out of nowhere but then the question is with all that money why didn't he do whatever it was 5 years ago. 

If the goal is not to cure his SM I don't know where they would be going with this.  They have made no apologies for his bad behavior in the past why would they fix that now?

I really don't understand why a guy that has been as miserably lonely as he has been for as long as he has been would need any additional motivation to fix the things that get in his way.  I would have made so much more sense for him to be in therapy for an extended period of time and have a breakthrough.

lol.

I figured if I am going to have a civil discussion I needed to start this before people started forming strong opinions about them.

Speaking just for me, my answer is no.  I want him to change but I can't say I am invested in his happiness.  I think by steadily steering clear of sentimentality it makes it hard to balance character flaws and I find him more annoying than funny most of the time now.

Personally, I just don't like Raj. I find him only occasionally, mildly funny. The rest of the time, I find him to be a spoiled d'bag.

Nope, I don't think he is popular enough. They have had Raj do too many crappy things. The character is immature and whenever he gets a confidence boost he ruins it by going the other way and acting like a jerk.

I think they will sell this relationship on Lucy, rather than Raj. How far they can take her social anxiety storyline remains to be seen though. It could come down to how popular she becomes. Maybe Lucy is a temporary girl for Raj though. He might be in store for several girlfriends before they find him "the one". Who knows. 

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Nope, I don't think he is popular enough. They have had Raj do too many crappy things. The character is immature and whenever he gets a confidence boost he ruins it by going the other way and acting like a jerk.

I think they will sell this relationship on Lucy, rather than Raj. How far they can take her social anxiety storyline remains to be seen though. It could come down to how popular she becomes. Maybe Lucy is a temporary girl for Raj though. He might be in store for several girlfriends before they find him "the one". Who knows. 

Exactly.

I do like the actress that plays Lucy though. I've liked her ever since she played Gooch on Scrubs. From what I've read, she's supposed to be a few episode story arc, like Dr. Stephanie was for Leonard. Maybe a bit longer?

• Like 1

I think they have to be careful or this could backfire with the season 6/relationship lovers.  Whether or not Raj is liked or not if they make them a cute couple and take her away it might tick off a lot of their fans.

This might be the riskiest move in an otherwise safe season.

I'm game  for doing something with Raj, but i don't want to see some sort cutesy relationship with Lucy.  The writers are already doing, and IMO are struggling to do the cutesy thing with H&B. They need to do something different with Raj and Lucy or don't do it all.

I like Raj, I think that he is sweet most of the time and has been as good a friend as the rest of the guys.  Although I'm still on the fence about Lucy, I think that a relationship for him will be the catalyst for him to work on his mutuism.  I just haven't warmed up to Lucy just yet.  I think she's adorable but we will see.

Favorites:

Amy

Howard(old and new)

Sheldon

Raj

Leonard

Bernadette

Penny

Oops forgot about Leonard

Edited by ShamyFTW