The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ar Diem

Is Raj Liked Well Enough To Pull Off A Cutesy Couple Romance?

I think they have to be careful or this could backfire with the season 6/relationship lovers.  Whether or not Raj is liked or not if they make them a cute couple and take her away it might tick off a lot of their fans.

This might be the riskiest move in an otherwise safe season.

Not sure about that one. I think Lenny and Shamy are a lock because L,P,S are untouchables and A was constructed for S. B, Lucy or whoever are paired with H and R should be up for grabs. If it works, great...if not kill it and move on.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't find seeing him in this kind of "cutesy" romance to be enjoyable at all.  I also feel marking him as "innocent" may be a bit much.  Since season 1 he has really been one of my least favorites in the show and I think it was probably his 30 over 30 episdoe or whatever that was that really made me dislike his character.  He's obnoxious, his attitude sucks, and especially after everything the writers did to him in season 4, he's an easy character to not like.

Of course, Raj is only whoever the writers want to make him, so its hard to say " i don't like raj" bevause Raj has no say in who he is... non the less my opinion of his character is very very low at this point and will take a lot more than a mousey girlfriend to get me on board the Raj train...

ETA:  I like his role as more of a background character who comes in to do some really funny stuff.  He was rather funny in his storyline where he had to help Howard's mom.  Stuff like that, that would be horrible to want to go through but is funny to watch is where his character shines i think

Edited by C-Trayne
  • Like 1

I think he is the sacrificial anode in the relationSHIP sagas.

Bad things have to happen to someone. I'm not unhappy if that is his role and I feel that they have deliberately written him for that. It's not so much a corner as his purpose. The perpetual loser.

Lucy may be just a drawn out example of how he loses again. But wait for what the focus groups report. Maybe it has legs with the populace.

Raj has always been fine for me. To be honest, all the relationship stuff is the stuff that I usually ignore. The nerdy, sciency stuff, I watch, but when it comes to who slept with whom, I really couldn't care less. In my opinion, Penny wasn't going out with Leonard so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Leonard, on the other hand, actually started seeing Stephanie while Howard thought he was still going out with her. If it had been anybody other than Howard (who later forgave them because he got another girlfriend), then that person would have felt really bad (although Howard actually did feel bad initially).

I think Raj can pull it off. They need to get his partnership with Sheldon in the university going again, which was great. I always enjoy the Raj/Howard scenes as well, and I think he can be equally as funny as the rest of the characters, sometimes even funnier than Sheldon, because for some reason, the writers keep giving Sheldon ridiculous cliched one liners, as opposed to his former original one liners. Sheldon is still my favourite character though, but Raj is still up there:

Sheldon

Howard

Raj

Leonard

Amy (old one would have been 2nd)

Leslie Winkle

Penny

Wil Wheaton

Stuart

Bernadette

Edited by viddy9

So is it to be assumed that if Raj and Lucy continue as a couple that it is going to be a "cutesy couple romance"? As opposed to what?

And why is it that Raj has to be "well liked" in order to have a relationship?

I do think that Raj has been the most carelessly developed of the characters with the writers kind of falling back on his mutism or being drunk and outrageous for comedy.

But I think that one could see Raj's obnoxious behavior whenever he has some small victory as evidence of what his issues involve--a lack of self-confidence in social situations or in any major career situation. So when he has some success, he over-reacts because he doesn't know any in-between setting.

I don't think that the writers have nessecesarily written toward that end, but they could conceivably go forward from there.

At any rate, I don't think that Raj is some bad guy in the group. As with Sheldon, the others in the group accept him and put up with his behavior, even to the point of "correcting" him at times through the pressure of the group, like when they reacted to his "30 over 30" prize.

I think that the crucial issue is what they intend to do between him and Lucy. It's a little early to tell, but I don't think that anything in the past has to be held against Raj as a reason for him to not be involved in a relationship. I don't think he has to somehow be "good enough" to be worthy of a relationship.

And if he doesn't get over his mutism through his relationship with Lucy, then what's the point of him getting over his mutism? So that he can become some kind of "playa"? To what end?

The question is to my mind how formulaic and predictable it would be if everyone gets happy now, all the way to the end. I think that someone being the loser for the purpose of generating comic drama is necessary and that if Raj gets permanently hooked up then they are just limiting the show's opportunities.

Raj is the only one still unattached,with whom they can experiment.with new characters. Everyone else is nailed down - unless they:

- break up Leonard and Penny (again and soooo boring)

- divorce or bereave Howard (really? Though some hope).

- or Amy gets over Sheldon (and they kill the golden goose and Mr Lorre's new toy)

Not saying they can't but why would they?

Nothing to do with Raj being a douche. :)

And nothing to do with him being liked. He can have the cutesy romance... But maybe not for too long.

Edited by Llatasativargon

Raj should have a boyfriend...not a girlfriend.....maybe finally he figures out that he will never be able to talk to women sober and decides its better pursuing men....

and goes after stuart or howard leading to more red hot bernedette trying to protect howard ......

at-least it would be something different....

So is it to be assumed that if Raj and Lucy continue as a couple that it is going to be a "cutesy couple romance"? As opposed to what?

And why is it that Raj has to be "well liked" in order to have a relationship?

This thread has already covered that ground. 

The question is to my mind how formulaic and predictable it would be if everyone gets happy now, all the way to the end. I think that someone being the loser for the purpose of generating comic drama is necessary and that if Raj gets permanently hooked up then they are just limiting the show's opportunities.

Raj is the only one still unattached,with whom they can experiment.with new characters. Everyone else is nailed down - unless they:

- or Amy gets over Sheldon (and they kill the golden goose and Mr Lorre's new toy)

And nothing to do with him being liked. He can have the cutesy romance... But maybe not for too long.

Of course, in introducing Lucy, the relationship doesn't have to be full-blown right away.

I think they're laying some groundwork for a potential relationship, but if you look back at how we got to where we are now, all of the relationships took some time to get off the ground.

Probably the fastest one was Howard and Bernie, but even they had a break-up (off-screen).  She was introduced early in S3 (Creepy Candy Coating Corollary) and we didn't really see much of her that season.  Howard mentioned spending Valentine's Day with her that year (when Leonard was trying to take Penny to Switzerland), but then by the end of the season we had Howard contemplating participating in Dr. Plimpton's sex fantasy (until Leonard pointed out that they'd all see each other naked.)

Then early in S4 we learn that they had at some point broken up (The Hot Troll Deviation), and Howard then makes it up to her, etc.

So, it took them about a year to solidify as a couple, and we didn't see a lot of Bernadette in the meantime.

Of course, L&P went back and forth over the course of 4-1/2 seasons and it wasn't until half-way through the 5th season that they finally figured it out.

Sheldon and Amy took almost a season and a half to become a real bf/gf couple.

The same thing could happen with Raj.  We've only seen 3 episodes with Lucy and they barely had a date in the last one.  I think that he can slowly work his way forward with Lucy, probably spaced out over next season, or whatever, learning to be a proper boyfriend (not the braggart he tends to become) and working at getting over his mutism.  We may or may not see Lucy over such a process, if indeed the writers are planning to make it an ongoing relationship.

I think it's far too early and we have far too little information on where they might go with this arc to judge it properly.

Other than Stuart, Raj's character has never brought in new characters until Lucy.  They recklessly closed all of the other doors and left a character with selective mutism who can't be used to bring in female characters for quite some time.  They seem content to get most of their drama from the relationships and friendships now.

This thread has already covered that ground. 

The questions were largely rhetorical, but I don't think the ground was really covered.

What I saw was a lot of "I don't really like Raj", or "He's the least likable", but nothing that really demonstrated that he was unworthy of having a relationship or whether or not a relationship would really work for him.

Since Raj's being "well-liked" is probably not a factor taken into account by the writers, I doubt it would be a factor in whether or not they decide to pursue this story arc.

And "well-liked" by whom?  by what percentage or demographic of the audience?  how well-liked does he have to be? 10%?80%?

You might ask a different question--"Do you like Raj and do you want to see him in a relationship?"--which would seem to be what most people are responding to.

Whether or not Raj can "pull off" a "cutesy couple romance" isn't really up to the audience, but up to the writers.  Can the writers make a romance between Raj and Lucy believable?

I think they can, if they shift Raj's character little by little as he tries to be the kind of guy he wants to be.  If he really likes Lucy (and not just because she happened to show an interest in him, which is his usual mode), then he'll want to be a safe haven for her, someone she can trust, etc.

Writing such a relationship wouldn't be cutsey, IMO, but more real.  And it can still be funny, I think.

The questions were largely rhetorical, but I don't think the ground was really covered.

What I saw was a lot of "I don't really like Raj", or "He's the least likable", but nothing that really demonstrated that he was unworthy of having a relationship or whether or not a relationship would really work for him.

Since Raj's being "well-liked" is probably not a factor taken into account by the writers, I doubt it would be a factor in whether or not they decide to pursue this story arc.

And "well-liked" by whom?  by what percentage or demographic of the audience?  how well-liked does he have to be? 10%?80%?

You might ask a different question--"Do you like Raj and do you want to see him in a relationship?"--which would seem to be what most people are responding to.

Whether or not Raj can "pull off" a "cutesy couple romance" isn't really up to the audience, but up to the writers.  Can the writers make a romance between Raj and Lucy believable?

I think they can, if they shift Raj's character little by little as he tries to be the kind of guy he wants to be.  If he really likes Lucy (and not just because she happened to show an interest in him, which is his usual mode), then he'll want to be a safe haven for her, someone she can trust, etc.

Writing such a relationship wouldn't be cutsey, IMO, but more real.  And it can still be funny, I think.

Most people are giving the answers I was looking for,   The huge shocker is that you are critiquing the thread.  You are extremely predictable now.

• Like 1

Most people are giving the answers I was looking for,   The huge shocker is that you are critiquing the thread.  You are extremely predictable now.

I'm not critiquing the thread.

I'm trying to get at the core of the question.

Apparently you were looking for a certain "predictable" answer--everybody hates Raj, therefore he doesn't deserve a relationship--or something along those lines.

I was trying to address Raj, his character and where the writers might go with his relationship, but apparently that was too objective for your purposes.

Carry on, by all means.

I'm not critiquing the thread.

I'm trying to get at the core of the question.

Apparently you were looking for a certain "predictable" answer--everybody hates Raj, therefore he doesn't deserve a relationship--or something along those lines.

I was trying to address Raj, his character and where the writers might go with his relationship, but apparently that was too objective for your purposes.

Carry on, by all means.

The bolded assumption has clouded your ability to properly comprehend a very simple thread.  You search for an agenda where there is not one.   Predictable.

So what are we naming our new ship?.. Berraj, Radette, Koothradette, Koothrowitz, etc?

• Like 1

They've hooked up all the other characters into romantic relationships so they can't hardly leave out Raj. The possibility of him being left forever lonely in fictionville would probably upset a lot of viewers. They've gone too far down the romcom road to leave someone behind.

Edited by djvang

They've hooked up all the other characters into romantic relationships so they can't hardly leave out Raj. The possibility of him being left forever lonely in fictionville would probably upset a lot of viewers.

And even though I never saw more than a few minutes of it... Friends was a very popular show.  Romcom works and there is no getting around it.

And even though I never saw more than a few minutes of it... Friends was a very popular show.  Romcom works and there is no getting around it.

My point is that it doesn't really matter if Raj is well liked enough to pull off a cutesy couple romance. It's going to happen and there is no getting around it.

My point is that it doesn't really matter if Raj is well liked enough to pull off a cutesy couple romance. It's going to happen and there is no getting around it.

Well he has the makings of a girlfriend whether this is permanent or not.  The question wasn't whether they were going to go there the question was whether or not this board would buy into it.

I think Raj's relationship with Lucy will make me happy if they have to make him work for it, and they currently are.

They're placing him with someone who is, let's face it, just as broken (if not more) than he is, and he's going to have to work to gain her trust and he's going to have to be so patient until she's comfortable with him. She didn't even kiss him in the library, although she wanted to. So now he has to deal with a relationship moving slowly in that way.

Then they should create a rom-com, rather than f**king up a great show that didn't start out as one.

• Like 1