The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ar Diem

The Truth And Lies About Tbbt Being A Romcom.

Well, seeing as how the show (by your account) went from 68th to 44th, it was already gaining momentum & popularity. The truth is we'll never know how popular it may or may not have become, had it not devolved. That said, popularity is being substituted for quality. As I've said previously, McDonald's is a popular hamburger joint... That doesn't mean they are particularly good hamburgers. Americans especially, have pretty bad taste in things. It makes sense that as the show has become more watered-down, the popularity has risen.

As I recall in the middle of the second season, CBS and Lorre productions crunched the numbers and determined that at best TBBT was going to be a "Niche Market" hit. That may not get you enough viewers and episodes to get you to syndication which is where  the real money is. That's why the big pivot in season 3 where they went after new fans in that big pot of sitcom viewers that you disparage here as having bad taste. Fortunately, Lorre had the number 1 comedy on at the time, "Two and a Half Men" and CBS allowed him to change the show (coupling L/P,  making Sheldon more extreme, adding Bernadette and Amy) and use TaaHM as a lead-in. It worked spectacularly and TBBT went to 12th in the ratings.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder and I don't ridicule other peoples taste so I will leave it at that. There are independent evaluators of quality but those who do not like the direction of the show now, often say that the TV critics are just as stupid as the fans for loving season 6 so much.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

As I recall in the middle of the second season, CBS and Lorre productions crunched the numbers and determined that at best TBBT was going to be a "Niche Market" hit. That may not get you enough viewers and episodes to get you to syndication which is where  the real money is. That's why the big pivot in season 3 where they went after new fans in that big pot of sitcom viewers that you disparage here as having bad taste. Fortunately, Lorre had the number 1 comedy on at the time, "Two and a Half Men" and CBS allowed him to change the show (coupling L/P,  making Sheldon more extreme, adding Bernadette and Amy) and use TaaHM as a lead-in. It worked spectacularly and TBBT went to 12th in the ratings.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder and I don't ridicule other peoples taste so I will leave it at that. There are independent evaluators of quality but those who do not like the direction of the show now, often say that the TV critics are just as stupid as the fans for loving season 6 so much.

Again, substituting popularity for quality. If the show had to be altered, it's obvious it no longer fits with it's creator's original vision. So the popular TBBT is a compromised presentation. As I've said, Star Trek was never a big hit, but it has achieved a status that very few shows have. TBBT has sold out it's hardcore base for a more fickle, but larger audience. TBBT is a sellout.

• Like 1

Again, substituting popularity for quality. If the show had to be altered, it's obvious it no longer fits with it's creator's original vision. So the popular TBBT is a compromised presentation. As I've said, Star Trek was never a big hit, but it has achieved a status that very few shows have. TBBT has sold out it's hardcore base for a more fickle, but larger audience. TBBT is a sellout.

Well, as I said before, quality is in the eye of the beholder. It's subjective opinion. Since none of us has the power to proclaim that this is the standard for quality that must be excepted by all people, it's a moot point.

Even though the critical acclaim and awards for "The Big Bang Theory" has come after season two, all those "professional" evaluators are only stating their collective opinions and nothing more. None of us has to except this as our personal truth.

Edited by BangerMain

Again, substituting popularity for quality.

I happen to think it's popular because of it's quality.

If the show had to be altered, it's obvious it no longer fits with it's creator's original vision.

I thought it was obvious that the original vision was the show would include the changes brought about by "the new girl across the hall".

So the popular TBBT is a compromised presentation.

Not really. If it hadn't included the changes, then it would have been compromised, since including those changes was part of the original vision.

As I've said, Star Trek was never a big hit, but it has achieved a status that very few shows have.

Undeservedly in many cases (just watch "Spock's Brain" and try to tell me all about quality. I have liked both. And Star Wars, written science fiction, comics, gaming, physics, TBBT, etc, so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

TBBT has sold out it's hardcore base for a more fickle, but larger audience. TBBT is a sellout.

Actually, many of those who think it's a sellout are those who are locked into the immature, teenage boy mindset, where nothing changes and can't see how much like real life the show has become.

• Like 3

I happen to think it's popular because of it's quality.

I thought it was obvious that the original vision was the show would include the changes brought about by "the new girl across the hall".

Not really. If it hadn't included the changes, then it would have been compromised, since including those changes was part of the original vision.

Undeservedly in many cases (just watch "Spock's Brain" and try to tell me all about quality. I have liked both. And Star Wars, written science fiction, comics, gaming, physics, TBBT, etc, so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

Actually, many of those who think it's a sellout are those who are locked into the immature, teenage boy mindset, where nothing changes and can't see how much like real life the show has become.

My point about Star Trek is that it wasn't extremely popular and was cancelled after three seasons, yet went on to become one of the most beloved shows of all-time. I was basically saying the popularity argument is a moot one when it comes to how good a show is or is not. I wasn't the one to make the argument that popularity automatically equals quality television.

As far as the show's original vision, neither I nor you know what that really was. But judging by the history of sit-coms, the great ones (as I have stated before) do not fundamentally change. TBBT has gone from a a sit-com to a rom-com. That is a fundamental change. The characters have (almost) all drastically changed. I have zero problem with change, except for the fact this is not real life, nor is it dramatic television. It is a comedy. I feel as though I started watching one program and am now watching a completely different one. I would not only welcome that, but expect it in a drama. But with a (supposed) sit-com, that is not to be expected. It is most definitely unwelcome by me personally. If I were to purchase a Led Zeppelin CD, and half way through the track list, it became an Alanis Morissette album, I would have every right to be unhappy with my purchase. To me, this is the case with TBBT.

As for your comment about people who think TBBT has sold out are stuck in a teen-aged boy mentality... I highly resent that comment because you do not know me. I am highly critical of the teen-aged mentality that permeates today's society and have many times been accused of being "overly" mature. I have already stated (part of) my case as to why I do not like the changes associated with this show, none of which have anything to do with being unwilling to accept change. But when it does occur, I have every right to be critical of it. As much as I loved what the show was, I can also not like what it has become. Just as you think people who are unhappy about their feeling that TBBT has sold out are immature, I could just as easily say those who continue to like despite the changes are sheep who will automatically like anything TPTB do with TBBT. However, we are debating a subjective topic... I am mature & intelligent enough to realize that and put it in perspective.

Edited by Anomaly

Thank you for bringing up the point about the original vision of TBBT.

I'm pretty sure that most of the changes that were made in season 3 were all planned for the show. Lorre was just forced to start the clock faster then he had planned to get the attention of a larger audience. I'm sure un-sleazing Howard and having him dating Bernadette was something they tried earlier than they may have planned. They properly cut the slow buildup for Leonard and Penny short as well. They just became lovers right off the bat in season 3.  Sheldon being more of a center piece of the show just evolved.  The Shamy was a nice end for season. But I believe a lot of those choices were in the plans, that was going to happen eventually over a five year run of the show.

Edited by BangerMain

My point about Star Trek is that it wasn't extremely popular and was cancelled after three seasons, yet went on to become one of the most beloved shows of all-time. I was basically saying the popularity argument is a moot one when it comes to how good a show is or is not. I wasn't the one to make the argument that popularity automatically equals quality television.

Neither does the argument that just because it's popular, it has to be of the same quality as McDonald's.

As far as the show's original vision, neither I nor you know what that really was.

Well, it was stated in interviews enough in the first season that the "girl across the hall" was going to open up the guys world. That seems to suggest change to me.

But judging by the history of sit-coms, the great ones (as I have stated before) do not fundamentally change.

Define great one. From my point of view, two off the top of my head "All in the Family" changed (and I'm not talking about "Archie Bunker's Place") changed fundamentally as Archie became less of a bigot and Michael and Gloria became more responsible. MASH changed from a comedy with some serious elements to more of a serious show with comedy elements.

TBBT has gone from a a sit-com to a rom-com. That is a fundamental change. The characters have (almost) all drastically changed. I have zero problem with change, except for the fact this is not real life, nor is it dramatic television. It is a comedy. I feel as though I started watching one program and am now watching a completely different one. I would not only welcome that, but expect it in a drama. But with a (supposed) sit-com, that is not to be expected.

And so because you don't expect it, it is automatically a bad thing? I happen to like the real life elements, but willingly admit it's because of how close it tracks my own life. If they break up Penny and Leonard with something from out in left field, I'll probably be unhappy also. But I enjoy the rest of the show so, who knows?

It is most definitely unwelcome by me personally. If I were to purchase a Led Zeppelin CD, and half way through the track list, it became an Alanis Morissette album, I would have every right to be unhappy with my purchase. To me, this is the case with TBBT.

I can understand all that. I was just was pointing out why I didn't think it was a sell out or bad.

As for your comment about people who think TBBT has sold out are stuck in a teen-aged boy mentality... I highly resent that comment because you do not know me. I am highly critical of the teen-aged mentality that permeates today's society and have many times been accused of being "overly" mature. I have already stated (part of) my case as to why I do not like the changes associated with this show, none of which have anything to do with being unwilling to accept change. But when it does occur, I have every right to be critical of it. As much as I loved what the show was, I can also not like what it has become. Just as you think people who are unhappy about their feeling that TBBT has sold out are immature, I could just as easily say those who continue to like despite the changes are sheep who will automatically like anything TPTB do with TBBT. However, we are debating a subjective topic... I am mature & intelligent enough to realize that and put it in perspective.

I said many, not you(In fact, see below).  But, how is this any different than a group of posters here saying the only one's who enjoy the show now are those who are emo types or enjoy rom-coms?  Then being told that objecting to it mean all you are trying to do is validate your opinion?  If you want to state your opinion of why you don't like the show, fine, state it.  But why can't I provide reason why I like it and think you're wrong?   As far as watching one program and have it turn into another, it's what happened in my life, which is why I like it so much.   You don't, no problem.

If you look at my phrasing (it's not word for word so don't try to compare that), you should see two things. One, most of my comments are 180 degrees out from yours. That was intentional as those comments, I felt, were subjective and I was just giving my subjective opinion. While I don't agree with the majority of your positions, there are some I agree with. Two, that last paragraph was phrased the way it was because myself, and a couple of other posters, were told the same thing. The word was many, or most, or whatever it was to not include everyone. And then words about if we complained about it, it was simply because we needed to look at why we were complaining. Were, the negative opinions causing us to be nervous about our show.

One last thing I want to make clear. As I stated above, you are not included in that many. Generally (see there's the qualifier), you are quite consistent and make your complaints in an intelligent manner. I should have probably (ain't no probably, flat out should have)used a different posters post. But your post had almost all the wording I wanted (not surprisingly), so it was handy. I can sometimes be rather sharp and/or sarcastic. Please accept my apology if this offended you, that was not my intention. I was simply trying to use the same phrasing that was used on me.

Edited by Tensor

As I recall in the middle of the second season, CBS and Lorre productions crunched the numbers and determined that at best TBBT was going to be a "Niche Market" hit

Chuck Lorre said this publicly? If so that's odd because TBBT S2 had an average rating of 10 million viewers and 3.8/4.0 in the major demo. That my friend, is not a niche market hit. Those numbers are better than most shows on TV right now and what HIMYM has always gotten on CBS throughout their entire 8 seasons, and more than enough to get a syndication deal. Of course syndication can only happen after a certain amount of episodes air regardless. I see no need for them to have changed their original vision with numbers like that on a show just starting off on a major network.

The timing of TBBT getting their syndication deal also doesn't match with what you're saying.

Mid Season 4 is when TBBT got their syndication deal so obviously the show's first three seasons is what got the the deal, and not Bernie and Amy being added or the "new vision" we're seeing on S5 and S6.

Also, the 3rd season of TBBT was even bigger than the 4th season, and this before Bernadette was a main character and before Amy was ever introduced (she was the very last episode on S3). The fourh season when both ladies started playing a major role on the show the ratings dropped from S3. Yet mid S4 is when the syndication deal happened.

The reason, and the only reason ratings took off all of a sudden, is syndication. Period.

Syndication has a proven track record of doing this for shows.

Edited by rainydays
  • Like 1

As far as the show's original vision, neither I nor you know what that really was. But judging by the history of sit-coms, the great ones (as I have stated before) do not fundamentally change. TBBT has gone from a a sit-com to a rom-com. That is a fundamental change. The characters have (almost) all drastically changed. I have zero problem with change, except for the fact this is not real life, nor is it dramatic television. It is a comedy. I feel as though I started watching one program and am now watching a completely different one. I would not only welcome that, but expect it in a drama. But with a (supposed) sit-com, that is not to be expected. It is most definitely unwelcome by me personally. If I were to purchase a Led Zeppelin CD, and half way through the track list, it became an Alanis Morissette album, I would have every right to be unhappy with my purchase. To me, this is the case with TBBT.

LOL@ teenage boy mentality. And what is this show now? Who loves poorly written bad romantic pair ups in a sitcom ? A teen girl show, or an old lonely woman mentality, maybe? :)

The show is basically crap now and Lorre is known as a crap writer and his shows always slide into crap after a few seasons; its his track record and why he doesn't have one iconic or classic show under his belt....his big money belt.

It's funny watching some defend the downgrading of all the characters as some big maturing and growth. It's mind boggling considering the "Teenage boy" seasons of 1-3 is more clever, unique, and funnier compared to the load the show has become with its plodding on and on with the characters stuck in a bad romance . What happens for another 100 plus episodes? Oh yea the fights then getting back together.Yippee.

Edited by rainydays
  • Like 1

Chuck Lorre said this publicly? If so that's odd because TBBT S2 had an average rating of 10 million viewers and 3.8/4.0 in the major demo. That my friend, is not a niche market hit. Those numbers are better than most shows on TV right now and what HIMYM has always gotten on CBS throughout their entire 8 seasons, and more than enough to get a syndication deal. Of course syndication can only happen after a certain amount of episodes air regardless. I see no need for them to change their original vision with numbers like that on a show just starting off on a major network.

The timing of TBBT getting their syndication deal also doesn't match with what you're saying.

Mid Season 4 is when TBBT got their syndication deal so obviously the show's previous three seasons, is what got them the deal, and not Bernie and Amy being added or the "new vision" we're seeing on S5 and S6.

Also, the 3rd season of TBBT was even bigger than the 2nd season, and this before Bernadette was a main character and before Amy was ever introduced (well she was the very last episode on S3). The fourh season when both ladies started playing a major role on the show the ratings dropped from S3. The reason, and the only reason ratings took off all of a sudden, is syndication. Period.

Note the decision to change the timing of the changes on the show was made in the 2nd season. Finishing 44th in the ratings is no guarantee of a continued life. This info came from some trade press in 2009. They wanted to get to the syndication number of episodes. The way they did that was to move TBBT, for the third season, behind "Two and a Half Men" and the ratings position jumped over 30 places. They went from 10 million viewers to 14.14 on average. It was a brilliant move all around. That made sure that they got a fourth season and syndication. They also made sure that the show was broad enough to reach new viewers that sampled it after "Two and a Half Men".

Once they got that audience they moved it to Thursday, for the fourth season. where it's been ever since running on its own. Syndication added to the viewership and we have the juggernaut of the 6th season.

We will never know what would have happened if CBS and Lorre had settle for the status quo of season 1 and 2.

Edited by BangerMain

LOL@ teenage boy mentality. And what is this show now? Who loves poorly written bad romantic pair ups in a sitcom ? A teen girl show, or an old lonely woman mentality, maybe? :)

Congratulations. I specifically mentioned the teenage boy mentallity, because of people like you claiming the show is nothing more than a rom-com (teen girl show or a lonely woman show in your parlance).  And you've came through spouting such.  Along with your mention of seasons 1-3.  yipppeeeee.  

The show is basically crap now and Lorre is known as a crap writer and his shows always slide into crap after a few seasons; its his track record and why he doesn't have one iconic or classic show under his belt....his big money belt.

Your opinion and your entitled to it. I don't agree and there are many others who don't. And it's strange how all those actors and actresses who aren't divas or weighed down by substance abuse problems keep coming back to work on crap shows for Lorre and his crap writing.

It's funny watching some defend the downgrading of all the characters as some big maturing and growth. It's mind boggling considering the "Teenage boy" seasons of 1-3 is more clever, unique, and funnier compared to the load the show has become with its plodding on and on with the characters stuck in a bad romance .

I really find it funny, as I love the first three seasons. I also love the seasons after those first three. But it's quite obvious that those who like those first three over anything else haven't really paid attention to the relationship stories taking place in those seasons.

What happens for another 100 plus episodes? Oh yea the fights then getting back together.Yippee.

I'm so glad that you've been privy to how everything is going to play out over the next few years. Perhaps you could give us the transcripts, you know, to save us all the time waiting for the taping reports.

• Like 4

Chuck Lorre said this publicly? If so that's odd because TBBT S2 had an average rating of 10 million viewers and 3.8/4.0 in the major demo. That my friend, is not a niche market hit. Those numbers are better than most shows on TV right now and what HIMYM has always gotten on CBS throughout their entire 8 seasons, and more than enough to get a syndication deal. Of course syndication can only happen after a certain amount of episodes air regardless. I see no need for them to have changed their original vision with numbers like that on a show just starting off on a major network.

Mid Season 4 is when TBBT got their syndication deal so obviously the show's first three seasons is what got the the deal, and not Bernie and Amy being added or the "new vision" we're seeing on S5 and S6.

Also, the 3rd season of TBBT was even bigger than the 4th season, and this before Bernadette was a main character and before Amy was ever introduced (she was the very last episode on S3). The fourh season when both ladies started playing a major role on the show the ratings dropped from S3. Yet mid S4 is when the syndication deal happened.

The reason, and the only reason ratings took off all of a sudden, is syndication. Period.

Oh, where to begin with the completely wrong statements.  The syndication deal was signed in May of 2010, before the third season even finished.  Telecasts to start in September 2011, the beginning of the fourth season.    Let's dissect that drop a bit more, shall we?  TBBT went from 9:30 on Monday (a time when more people are watching), following the (at the time) #1 ranked comedy (Two and a Half Men(TAAHM)) to 8:00 PM on Thursday.  A time when less people were watching, with no lead in, against the #1 rated show (American Idol) of the time.  

So, how to judge, exactly how much it fell?  Well, in 2009, Rules of Engagement (RoE)was in the slot after TAAHM.  It was moved to the slot as the lead in to TAAHM, and it dropped almost 3.5 million viewers a week (3.42).  Against much stiffer competition, with no lead in, and a move to a completely different day and a lead out of Shit My Dad Says, TBBT dropped only 1 million viewers a week.  And an interesting side note, RoE, was moved to the lead out of TBBT after Shit My Dad Says was cancelled.  It was averaging ~7-8 million viewers while it was TAAHM's leadin on Monday.  After being moved to after TBBT on Thursday, it's average viewers per episode went up by almost a million.

If, as you seem to claim that the only reason that the ratings took off was because of syndication, then why did the fourth season drop?  Since that was when syndication telecasts started, by your logic, the ratings should have went up, not dropped.  And if, as you seem to claim that the first three seasons were so good, and the ones after were crap, wouldn't  those finding it in syndication not watch the new ones, since they are, as you say, crap?

• Like 1

We need to stop with the labels and we really need to stop trying to figure out why anyone likes or dislikes a piece of entertainment.  I have no idea why so many people like flatulence jokes and I don't.  I have no idea why I usually like physical comedy.  When work is being extra stressful some of the things I might normally find funny suddenly fail to amuse.

This thread has veered off-topic.  The original intent was to discuss how Season 6 in particular has a number of romantic storylines that are seemingly starved for romance.  Shamy, for instance, will probably end up with 3 big episodes this year.  One at the beginning, one in the middle, and one probably at the end.

• Like 1

We need to stop with the labels and we really need to stop trying to figure out why anyone likes or dislikes a piece of entertainment.  I have no idea why so many people like flatulence jokes and I don't.  I have no idea why I usually like physical comedy.  When work is being extra stressful some of the things I might normally find funny suddenly fail to amuse.

This thread has veered off-topic.  The original intent was to discuss how Season 6 in particular has a number of romantic storylines that are seemingly starved for romance.  Shamy, for instance, will probably end up with 3 big episodes this year.  One at the beginning, one in the middle, and one probably at the end.

I believe the first part of the bold sentence explains the second part of the sentence. :)

Too many couples and main characters to fully develop each couple while maintaining each character as well  This so-called big romantic comedy show that supposedly matured is flopping around not being funny and not being romantic, even though it killed most of the funny these last two seasons to push the romance. What kind of irony.

As far as labels go, the only reason I threw one out there to prove the ignorance of labeling anyone who loved the first three seasons as teenage boy mentality.

I have numbers to back me up, the ratings were big in the major demo for BBT since the beginning and it was biggest among young adults male and female. I'm  in the latter group.

The audience the last couple of years has shown it's biggest growth in the older female group (over 40). When TV shows and movies start trying to appeal to this particular group, do they tend to be edgier or more safe? -_-

Edited by rainydays

Thanks for the reminder and sorry for the veer there Ar.  As you are well aware from my ratings posts, I could rebut, but I will bow out to keep the thread cleaned up.

I believe the first part of the bold sentence explains the second part of the sentence. :)

Too many couples and main characters to fully develop each couple while maintaining each character as well  This so-called big romantic comedy show that supposedly matured is flopping around not being funny and not being romantic, even though it killed most of the funny these last two seasons to push the romance. What kind of irony.

As far as labels go, the only reason I threw one out there to prove the ignorance of labeling anyone who loved the first three seasons as teenage boy mentality.

I have numbers to back me up, the ratings were big in the major demo for BBT since the beginning and it was biggest among young adults male and female. I'm  in the latter group.

The audience the last couple of years has shown it's biggest growth in the older female group (over 40). When TV shows and movies start trying to appeal to this particular group, do they tend to be edgier or more safe? -_-

Even if your comments about the demographic shift were true it proves nothing.  TBBT has never been edgy and has always been relatively safe.  Again, you need to stop trying to quantify why entertainment appeals to a specific person and you need to stop stereotyping a gender or a gender and an age.  40 to 60 year old men and women have pretty much spent their entire lives in an era of TV pushing the envelope of what is acceptable.  TBBT is practically spongebob square pants by comparison to what they have seen.

No matter how you slice it you are being insulting.  Oddly enough, you are even trying to insult yourself since you still watch the show.

Just keep in mind that you are debating about a TV show.

• Like 1

Hey now, as a member of that over-40 and female group, I resent the implication.  :p  I fell in love with this show in the early seasons before the romance took over.  I like the Lenny and the Shamy but prefer it shown in relation to the original premise of the show - the nerdy science stuff.  Penny being impressed by Leonard's experiments, Sheldon washing Amy's lab glassware, etc.

IMO Lorre killed Charlie Harper when he gave him a steady girlfriend.   That was one of the cool things about Seinfeld - the four main characters remained self-absorbed douchebags for the entire run.  But very few shows don't evolve as people get to know the characters.

I am a little bit worried the direction this show is heading into, since everyone got into relationships, things went a little stale - married life is too boring.

But since other lower quality sitcoms got to 13-14 seasons, i think there is still hope for TBBT. Sure, this season was mediocre... but it did not reach romcom level like how i met your mother or etc..

Here is hoping for the best.  

I am not sure why but I am starting to Burn Out on BBT in general. It could be because I watched all the reruns over and over again. Or it could be because the writers are slipping. I mean there are only so many stories they can come up with. I also think the Writer went with the flow and added PERMANENT Cast, instead of staying with the Originals and having a lot of Guest actors.  

By contrast 2 1/2 Men is also a Chuck Lorre show and they stayed with the original cast. However I believe Jim Parsons up staged the Lenny who IMHO were orignally intended as the center focus of TBBT. Therefore the writer switch horse in the Middle  and brought in the Shamy.

@ for rainydays

I am a bit sick and tired to read over and over again... about these rants on relationships developing into rom-com and that the show TBBT was better at the beginning of the series. Than other members of the board, instead, wish to want more rom-com in TBBT. I fear say  this will never end. When I joined this board,  I was so over the moon to take part and voice my opinion. Now is not fun anymore. These discussions tend to become stale. There is not desire to play a little sarcasm in sentences. I am not sure where to post anymore. I tend to fade away and I am sorry that we are not more playful. After all this fansite is about a comedy sitcom.

I would like just to add a thought, maybe to investigate more on the male and female appeal perhaps. Should that show be more male orientated?

Definitely is not only female orientated :) I gather...

Edited by wannamaker
  • Like 1

@ for rainydays

I am a bit sick and tired to read over and over again... about these rants on relationships developing into rom-com and that the show TBBT was better at the beginning of the series. Than other members of the board, instead, wish to want more rom-com in BTTB. I fear say  this will never end. When I joined this board,  I was so over the moon to take part and voice my opinion. Now is not fun anymore. These discussions tend to become stale. There is not desire to play a little sarcasm in sentences. I am not sure where to post anymore. I tend to fade away and I am sorry that we are not more playful. After all this fansite is about a comedy sitcom.

I would like just to add a thought, maybe to investigate more on the male and female appeal perhaps. Should that show be more male orientated?

Definitely is not only female orientated :) I gather...

I agree.  These discussion grow stale because we keep ending up in the same debates.  I try to start threads that review the show from different angles and perspectives but they devolve into loving or hating the show.

I am really bored with these discussions right now.  I can't stand even reading what I think over and over for very long.  That is probably why I didn't make a bigger deal out of how Sheldon humiliated Amy in Closet and then used her as a human shield.   For me that is just the pattern I have seen all along extended and there is no reason to rant about it just because there is new evidence to support my theory.  I watched that episode a few times and I just made the choice to ignore it.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a graduate student at the TU Berlin (mathematics) and have been watching the show since the very beginning. But enough of me ...

Seasons 1,2 and 3 were extremely good with Season 1 probably being my favourite one. And then came Seasons 4 (Amy) and 5 (Priya) and it all went downhill from there. I'm aware of the fact that many things have been said and discussed here, but nevertheless I will say this:

Sheldon: without a doubt my favourite and most unique character. They destroyed him when Amy became his girlfriend. It would have been ok for me to have her for some couple episodes but not as a main cast member ... and now she's most likely the reason why TBBT is so bad lately. One could say she destroyed the group dynamic's and the show in general.

Leonard: Meh. I liked him in Season 1 but then the insecure, litte nerd became a stud over night. I only recall only some episodes where Leonard was single, ridiculous. The on-off relationship with Penny (Lenny you call it here?) is so tiresome and not funny anymore. Both would be better suited in Friends.

Howard: Yes, he was creepy and singular in his own way. But at least he was funny. And now? Forget about him. He's married and so boring. He's been tamed to the point where it gets cringing. Whenever a scene between Howard and his super dull wife Bernadette is shown, I skip over.

Raj: Still lonely and pathetic. Never liked him very much, because he's a real douchebag. The mutism is getting really old, but at least he's a "constant" in the show, who hasn't changed that much and - most importantly - doesn't have a (steady) girlfriend.

Penny: Hmm, nothing to say really. Her character got butchered in Season 4 and she's never recovered since ...

All in all, yes I'm pretty disappointed with the direction where this show is going. It's clearly a romcom now, no doubt about it. I realise there's no going back now, but maybe the writers have something new planned for Season 7 because they pretty much screwed up the current Season.

And btw that Shamy thread has to be one of the weirdest thread I've ever encountered on the internet. It's kind of sad.

Regards,

Berliner

I think writing romance is the weakest aspect of the writers on this show , probably save for a few episodes.

So for me BBT being kind of a rom-com more comes under lies category...

Congratulations. I specifically mentioned the teenage boy mentallity, because of people like you claiming the show is nothing more than a rom-com (teen girl show or a lonely woman show in your parlance).  And you've came through spouting such.  Along with your mention of seasons 1-3.  yipppeeeee.  

Your opinion and your entitled to it. I don't agree and there are many others who don't. And it's strange how all those actors and actresses who aren't divas or weighed down by substance abuse problems keep coming back to work on crap shows for Lorre and his crap writing.

I really find it funny, as I love the first three seasons. I also love the seasons after those first three. But it's quite obvious that those who like those first three over anything else haven't really paid attention to the relationship stories taking place in those seasons.

I'm so glad that you've been privy to how everything is going to play out over the next few years. Perhaps you could give us the transcripts, you know, to save us all the time waiting for the taping reports.

Just because rainydays (and myself) responded to your teenage boy bait, doesn't mean the show hasn't become a rom-com or more for teen aged girls, because it obviously has. You are entitled to like every season, but others (while also entitled to) don't necessarily have to. It is undeniable that the show has changed over the course of it's 6 seasons. To say it is not now geared more toward the teenage girl demographic is not being honest. Whether the change was planned from the beginning or not is irrelevant. The point is that it has happened and we, as viewers have to re-look at it to see if this reworked show still appeals to us. Some like the more typical, relationship centered format, Some couldn't care one way or another. But some find the "evolved", rom-com format to be boring, predictable, stale and a devolution of what once was a unique, intelligent show. I know reviews, in the end don't mean too much, but here's a snippet of a review that conveys my feelings regarding the newer TBBT seasons in much better fashion than I have been able to...

On its surface, The Big Bang Theory is a picturesque sitcom. Eccentric, niche-culture nerd-herds roam its fertile plains, gathering near comic shop watering holes for socialization and sustenance, indulging in the freedom of high ratings and widespread popularity, and exiling any outsider who isn't willing to adopt its geek-chic customs and rom-com mating rituals. But the seemingly idyllic comedy is experiencing tremendous creative upheaval. The once witty banter and saber-sharp pop culture references of its first two fan-favorite seasons are now little more than a distant memory, and chasing hope that the show will recover has become something of a fool's errand. Had Season One arrived with the Phantom Menace scripting of Season Five, the series would have been yanked off the air in early 2008, if not sooner. But "getting back to the problem at hand..."

Sheldon: What to do with a washed up experimental physicist? Leonard: I am not washed up! Sheldon: Oh, Leonard. Lots of people love you and want to help you. But they can't until you admit the problem!

Cue riotous laughter from the series' studio audience, most of whom are oblivious to the irony. Simply put, after 111 episodes, The Big Bang Theory is all washed up. A sad state of affairs, yes. But it's the sad state of affairs showrunners Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady find themselves in just the same.

When the show began they were all single and in their late 20s. What do the majority of people in their 20s do? They find mates and form long term relationships. I enjoy watching these characters grow and I love the characters of Amy & Bernadette they have added much humor and depth to the show. I fear without these changes the show would have stagnated and died.

• Like 1