The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moonbase

Howard - The Letter From His Father

61 members have voted

1. 1. The real message from Howards dad came from...?

• Raj
    • Sheldon
    • Amy
    • Penny
    • Leonard
    • Bernadette

Oh man this is a tough one - but I agree with a lot of posters about it most likely being Amy or Leonards. I absolutely loved that scene though (minus Sheldon's Goonies-inspired possibility, of course), and how it was all set up. When I read the taping report I really had no idea it was going to be that wonderful, and so beautifully acted. That's probably the second time the show has actually moved me to tears, especially when Bernie said her story. 

However, I think that if they did decide to introduce his father to the show, then Penny's idea would have the most amusing possibilities script-wise. 

• Like 1

Oh man this is a tough one - but I agree with a lot of posters about it most likely being Amy or Leonards. I absolutely loved that scene though (minus Sheldon's Goonies-inspired possibility, of course), and how it was all set up. When I read the taping report I really had no idea it was going to be that wonderful, and so beautifully acted. That's probably the second time the show has actually moved me to tears, especially when Bernie said her story. 

However, I think that if they did decide to introduce his father to the show, then Penny's idea would have the most amusing possibilities script-wise. 

May I ask what the other time was?

The scene when Sheldon gave Howard his spot as an apology brought a tear to my eye, as did in TIP when Amy said she was the sad little tumor no one wanted to go dress shopping with.

amy or leonard hard to pick:

go with leonard-family

for graduation you have to say how many

people are comming,how did he get in.

It kind of depends on the school, and he may have been able to slip in, depending on the venue. Some schools might have their graduation outisde, Or in a big venue like a stadium, where he could have gotten in more easily.

amy or leonard hard to pick:

go with leonard-family

for graduation you have to say how many

people are comming,how did he get in.

I was estranged from my father (we have an uneasy truce now) when I got my master's degree but he somehow got in.  IMO it's a bad thing to do; I felt violated in a way.

I was estranged from my father (we have an uneasy truce now) when I got my master's degree but he somehow got in.  IMO it's a bad thing to do; I felt violated in a way.

I was as well, I was raised by a step father.

It must have been strange to hear Amy describe the exact same scenario. I don't believe Howard's reactions myself but it's a sitcom so they need to keep it simple I suppose.

It kind of depends on the school, and he may have been able to slip in, depending on the venue. Some schools might have their graduation outisde, Or in a big venue like a stadium, where he could have gotten in more easily.

that is a good point. in my case only mother, father could come to see me,

had 2-brothers and a sister that could not come on it was small place

and it was packed

I voted for Leonard's story since it seemed the most logical and likely but I would have liked Penny's to be true so that it wasn't necessarily his father's fault he had to leave.  Plus its always nice thinkign your dad was a spy or something... Of course this could be stemming from my recent obsession with the TV show Archer haha.  I feel like it couldn't have been Raj's or Bernadettes because we can kind of see the paper in the envelope earlier in the episode and lets face it Sheldon's was just obnoxious like he was the entire episode.

May I ask what the other time was?

The scene when Sheldon gave Howard his spot as an apology brought a tear to my eye, as did in TIP when Amy said she was the sad little tumor no one wanted to go dress shopping with.

Of course! The first time was during the episode where Howard has his stag party (I can't remember the name off the top of my head), and Bernie gets incredibly upset. When Howard is telling Penny what he wants her to tell Bernadette, that whole apology brought me to tears. I actually had the same reaction as Penny to it "Oh my God Howard, that's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard... and it came from you!" 

• Like 2

I voted for Leonard's version because it seemed like the most plausible one as well as the most profound in a way. This version was Howard-centered, not Mr Wolowitz Sr-centered. It focused on what Howard should do to be happy in the future and not on his father's feelings of either pride or regret. Oddly generous and loving of him.

But I am not sure mostly because I wonder how the characters chose the one of them who would get to tell the truth. Did they leave it to chance (names in hat sort of thing) or did they nominate someone specifically ? If they selected someone for the task, would they have picked Leonard ? I don't know.

Regardless, he still ended up with what was, to me, the most touching line, after Howard admitted he wanted all the stories to be true :"Well, one of them is". It hammered home how well they had managed the crisis, as a group.

In re crying : some scenes did make my vision a bit blurry (others quoted them : Howard's apology or Sheldon asking Penny not to hurt his friend) but the ones that truly made me tear up were funny ones, like the ballpit one or Sheldon rubbing his shapely bottom on his cushion and looking at Penny and Leonard in distress because he knew something was wrong with his spot.  

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 1

I originally thought all of them were a part of the letter except Sheldon's of course, but after thinking about it i think it was leonards

I think it was either Amy's or Bernadette's. 

Amy's seemed very realistic because his 18th birthday would've been right around graduation most likely. Plus, I could see them giving it to Amy because she could keep a straight face. 

Bernadette's didn't seem as realistic but she got so emotional when she said it that I had to wonder if it was her. But, giving it to his wife does seem a little obvious. 

I could also see it being Leonard's. I honestly don't know but it's fun to speculate about. My overall vote was for Amy's. 

that is a good point. in my case only mother, father could come to see me,

had 2-brothers and a sister that could not come on it was small place

and it was packed

My high school graduation was at the gym at our school, but we were a new school and at that point didn't have that many in our graduating class.  I think the next year was the last one held in the gym.

When my little sister graduated, 7 years later, it was held in a basketball arena with thousands of seats, so probably anyone could have managed to get in unnoticed.

I can see Howard's graduation in a similar situation.

I voted for Leonard's version because it seemed like the most plausible one as well as the most profound in a way. This version was Howard-centered, not Mr Wolowitz Sr-centered. It focused on what Howard should do to be happy in the future and not on his father's feelings of either pride or regret. Oddly generous and loving of him.

But I am not sure mostly because I wonder how the characters chose the one of them who would get to tell the truth. Did they leave it to chance (names in hat sort of thing) or did they nominate someone specifically ? If they selected someone for the task, would they have picked Leonard ? I don't know.

Regardless, he still ended up with what was, to me, the most touching line, after Howard admitted he wanted all the stories to be true :"Well, one of them is". It hammered home how well they had managed the crisis, as a group.

In re crying : some scenes did make my vision a bit blurry (others quoted them : Howard's apology or Sheldon asking Penny not to hurt his friend) but the ones that truly made me tear up were funny ones, like the ballpit one or Sheldon rubbing his shapely bottom on his cushion and looking at Penny and Leonard in distress because he knew something was wrong with his spot.  

I kind of think it could very well be Leonard's, or they could have chosen Leonard to tell the true story because he's kind of the more mature one of the group, or at least among the guys.  He's the most serious and the most "normal", if you will.

• Like 1

Let's make a note of this so someone can ask Lorre, Molero, and Prady at Comic-con or next year's PaleyFest.

I vote Leonard's because the envelope was too flexible for a card (also, in one shot you could see a letter inside), and Amy's story while possible depends on Howard's birthday taking place after graduation.

Liked Leonard's. Amy's was cliche and has been descibed before in various versions in other TV shows and movies. The first one that comes to mind (parent in background watching unknowing child) is The Sixth Sense.

If i had to choose i would say leonard's is the most plausible letter, but! I don't think there actually is an answer.

You see, if there was an answer no one could know (in real life) because those letters were all writen with the specific purpouse of not being true, but possible, and all of them (exept sheldon's) follow those restrictions. So even if some day an episode is released where it actually explains everything, the letter would be chosen then!

Concluding, there is no answer.

(But i would like if it was the double life one by penny)

If i had to choose i would say leonard's is the most plausible letter, but! I don't think there actually is an answer.

You see, if there was an answer no one could know (in real life) because those letters were all writen with the specific purpouse of not being true, but possible, and all of them (exept sheldon's) follow those restrictions. So even if some day an episode is released where it actually explains everything, the letter would be chosen then!

Concluding, there is no answer.

(But i would like if it was the double life one by penny)

No, I believe they said that one of them was true, so it could have been any one of them, except Sheldon's.  So one of them was true and the others were all plausible, but untrue.

I do agree with the idea that the writers might not have chosen the right scenario yet... any stories could be the real one (except Sheldon's obviously).

I also agree that the envelope was too thin for a card (Raj) or a picture (Bernadette) but the props might not have thought about that...

Regarding the stories, I had voted for Amy's one...

I think Penny's story could lead to great comedy-situations but it seems like, as an actress, it was the kind of story we could expect from her.

Leonard's story is pretty simple and easy, Howard's dad could have had regrets  and wanted his son to learn from his mistake... but it sounded very 'typical' of Leonard to say that because he has lots of unresolved childhood issues and regrets not having a normal family.

However, Amy's story doesn't relate to anything we know about her... but it is very emotional, even though she isn't very close to Howard.

at the minute I am waiting for the 2nd showing on E4+1 I haven't voted  yet cos I am still trying to calm down

howard didn't want to know what was in the letter yet Sheldon decided to open and read said letter but what really wound me up was penny what on earth has it got to do with her or any of them to know what howards father had written