75 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

And you don't think Sheldon's comments to Amy were total jerk moves too?

Not necessarily because Sheldon makes those type of comments to all of his friends.  Even the comment he made about Penny being only good to take everyone's drink order and get it wrong. I do wish the writers would show Sheldon being kinder to Amy.  However, Raj's comment was rude, he basically called her unattractive in my opinion.

Not necessarily because Sheldon makes those type of comments to all of his friends. Even the comment he made about Penny being only good to take everyone's drink order and get it wrong. I do wish the writers would show Sheldon being kinder to Amy. However, Raj's comment was rude, he basically called her unattractive in my opinion.

I see your point. I do think, however, that the writers are pushing Sheldon too far in his disrespect for Amy. He used to admire and actually enjoy her but now he just seems to tolerate her. Perhaps others here are correct and this is a build up to the finale.

• Like 4

Best show of the year. A little short as others have mentioned. Laughed at almost everything. Doesn't look good for the Shamy. Amy should dump Sheldon. A good night for the Lenny however. Penny seemed to be the only one of the five not to be part of all the bickering. She let Leonard handle everything. She kind of did look like a wife.

• Like 3

Great episode tonight, so happy the show is back.  I've missed it.  :)  I hope we find out who is going to get the tenure position.  I really like Ms. Davis, especially her scenes with Sheldon.    Regina King is great actress and I hope we see more of her character. 

Loved all scenes with Sheldon and Amy tonight those had me cracking up the most.   I love how Sheldon confides in Amy all time and looks to her for guidance about social situations that was awesome and how they eat dinner and drink tea alone together in his apartment without everyone else there like they live there together.   It was cool seeing Leonard only at Penny's apartment or at work, and Amy over at Sheldon's I think in future thats how its going be and this is great way to get people use to it.  Love how Amy hinted at the possibility of Sheldon one day getting a house, having a family and kids and he said YEAH or the chainsaw lol.   He's slowly coming around and become more and more social with people which makes him even funnier.  Loved his final attempt to handshake Mrs. Davis.  Old Sheldon hated to touch people and now he's doing it more and more.  I just hope to see him TOUCH AMY a little more.

I guess it makes sense that Raj didn't ask Lucy to come along to the funeral serves because like Sheldon she also doesn't like social situations, but I think it would have been funny if instead he brought his adorable dog as his companion instead lol.  i also like that Penny was willing to help out her man as she put it.  I like how loyal the girls are to the guys and vice versa.  And its fun sometimes to see couple vs. couple it was fun when it was Howardette vs Shamy in parking space fight and now this time Lenny vs Shamy over Tenure and I love how no matter how much they fuss and fight and insult each other they still stay friends and even grow closer in a way because of it.  :wub:

It was funny how Howard kept trying to instigate the drama between friends and of course Leonard was sensible one in end who finally said its not worth losing our friendship over, but since the issue isn't resolved as to who gets tenure I do feel like story is not complete yet.  Kripke getting it would really piss them off, but I rather him or another scientist get it then see Sheldon, Leonard or Raj get it and that cause more tension in the friendship, though I guess if I had to choose one of the three I'd pick Leonard cause I think he could use confidence boost and Sheldon would finally have to treat him with little more respect at least at work cause Leonard would be at a higher level at the university.  He would probably act like a big jealous baby about it, but it be funny and a good excuse to see him go running to Amy for comfort if that happens perhaps another consoling hug maybe. ;)

I hope they don't just forget to tell us who gets the job even if its none of them I'd still like to know who gets the tenure job in next episode otherwise its going seem like they just left it hanging with no real resolution :icon_neutral:  I hate when shows do that. 

But, overall I laughed quite a bit at this one so I'm happy. :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 1

One thing that seems to be missing is evidence of Sheldon trying to cope, like trying to get sarcasm. He used to actively try to get other people, but now he doesn't. I accept that he is written such that he doesn't understand social situations, but he used to try to for no reason other than to fit in.

I find it interesting that Leonard and Penny are shown in her place pretty much all the time now, eating and cooking like a married couple. It looks very natural. If I remember correctly, Amy was sitting in Leonard's chair, and later was acting as his "interpreter" of the outside world. Maybe a little symbolism there, Amy taking on Leonard's former role.

I am very annoyed with the sub-twenty minute running time. Are they deliberately writing shorter episodes to fit in the amazing amount of commercials, or are they just writing short episodes. This one seemed rushed. If they need more commercials, extend the time. It's been done for other shows.

It seems like they have finessed the Raj working for Sheldon plotline such that Raj is on his own again working on astrophysics. The first mention of that was when Raj, Bernadette and Howard were at the telescope control room two seasons ago. Yet Sheldon and Raj shared an office until Sheldon moved to Rothmann's old office.

It was interesting that Ms. Davis said that they were all three outstanding scientists, which suggests that, to the extent Sheldon may or may not have an edge intellectually, Sheldon is not significantly superior. I'm surprised he didn't rise to the implication that Raj and Leonard were basically intellectually equal to him. That is not at all what he said in the first scene, and not typical of Sheldon to miss a chance to assert his intellectual superiority to everyone. If this is indeed the case, Leonard will win hands down as he does not have to be loaded to talk to women, and willing to do politically expected things. Were they laying the groundwork in the outreach episode? Sheldon did come up with a great idea, but Leonard was the one that got them involved at all.

Edited by hamerman55

Howard was acting like a real ratbag in this show. Funny but still a ratbag.

How was he a ratbag?  All he did was observe what the others were already doing.  He didn't really do anything but maybe make a comment here or there about the other guys competing for the position.  He was barely in the episode.

this was the shortest episode of this season

34zwx9k.jpg

I can't believe people are obsessing over the length of the episode.  Sometimes episodes are short simply because the scenes just aren't that long.  Sometimes an episode may run long in what it taped, and certain seems may be trimmed, etc., but some episodes are going to be somewhat shorter, depending on how a scene plays and how it's edited.

One thing that seems to be missing is evidence of Sheldon trying to cope, like trying to get sarcasm. He used to actively try to get other people, but now he doesn't. I accept that he is written such that he doesn't understand social situations, but he used to try to for no reason other than to fit in.

I find it interesting that Leonard and Penny are shown in her place pretty much all the time now, eating and cooking like a married couple. It looks very natural. If I remember correctly, Amy was sitting in Leonard's chair, and later was acting as his "interpreter" of the outside world. Maybe a little symbolism there, Amy taking on Leonard's former role.

I am very annoyed with the sub-twenty minute running time. Are they deliberately writing shorter episodes to fit in the amazing amount of commercials, or are they just writing short episodes. This one seemed rushed. If they need more commercials, extend the time. It's been done for other shows.

It seems like they have finessed the Raj working for Sheldon plotline such that Raj is on his own again working on astrophysics. The first mention of that was when Raj, Bernadette and Howard were at the telescope control room two seasons ago. Yet Sheldon and Raj shared an office until Sheldon moved to Rothmann's old office.

It was interesting that Ms. Davis said that they were all three outstanding scientists, which suggests that, to the extent Sheldon may or may not have an edge intellectually, Sheldon is not significantly superior. I'm surprised he didn't rise to the implication that Raj and Leonard were basically intellectually equal to him. That is not at all what he said in the first scene, and not typical of Sheldon to miss a chance to assert his intellectual superiority to everyone. If this is indeed the case, Leonard will win hands down as he does not have to be loaded to talk to women, and willing to do politically expected things. Were they laying the groundwork in the outreach episode? Sheldon did come up with a great idea, but Leonard was the one that got them involved at all.

I don't think that the three of them being in the running means that Sheldon has no intellectual edge over the other guys.  Just because Raj and Leonard have also made strong contributions to the work in their respective fields doesn't mean that Sheldon isn't still intellectually superior.

I think that it does mean that all the guys do good work, but I think it's also a way for the writers to dodge actually making one of them the winner.  We also don't know whether or not Kripke might also have gotten a recommendation.  Sheldon might not have mentioned it if he had because when he was talking to Mrs. Davis, he was talking only about his friends.

So, in order to maintain the status quo, it could be that Kripke gets the position.  Who knows?

How was he a ratbag?  All he did was observe what the others were already doing.  He didn't really do anything but maybe make a comment here or there about the other guys competing for the position.  He was barely in the episode.

He was a ratbag because he was using his comments to cause conflict in the group for his own amusement. Basically being a troublemaker.

• Like 2

Best show of the year. A little short as others have mentioned. Laughed at almost everything. Doesn't look good for the Shamy. Amy should dump Sheldon. A good night for the Lenny however. Penny seemed to be the only one of the five not to be part of all the bickering. She let Leonard handle everything. She kind of did look like a wife.

she wasn't part of the bickering but she let Leonard use her only assets to try and get what he wanted which was part of the bickering! Edited by rachygd

she wasn't part of the bickering but she let Leonard use her only assets to try and get what he wanted which was part of the bickering!

I think if you will notice, It was Penny who advised Leonard to schmooze the members of the committee and her idea to use sex appeal to help Leonard (or do you think she just happened to 'tie her shoe' then). So she wasn't being used, she was a willing participant.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

I think if you will notice, It was Penny who advised Leonard to schmooze the members of the committee and her idea to use sex appeal to help Leonard (or do you she just happened to 'tie her shoe' then). So she wasn't being used, she was a willing participant.

yeah that's what I meant, she let Leonard use her best assests

The episode was okay. After watching, I'm thinking that maybe Leonard does deserve tenure over Sheldon and Raj! 

The only thing I didn't like was the line that Raj made in reference to Amy. She was standing right there!  I know it was meant to be funny, but it wasnt to me.  That was a total jerk move!

Didn't Howard say back in season 1 that he was a jerk you just don't normally hear him.

Too many characters on the show.. too little screen time for each of them.. Bernadette barely says anything any more.. penny has just 2-3 scenes.. 

Also, in this episode it seemed to me that they took the insults a little too far.. i have never seen something similar before when the characters make fun of each other's mothers and girlfriends... seemed awkward not funny.. what do you think?

Enjoyed it thoroughly even though the pacing was a bit off for me. I don not mind short scenes in rapid succession but there were too many of those for my taste : I like when there are slightly longer scenes as well.

Kripke was faithful to himself and I sincerely like that character. Odd, arrogant yet with an air of harmlessness (probably due to his speech impediment) : he is the perfect "villain" against which the boys can fight.

Mrs. Davies... How I love thee ? The actress is a blast. Her deadpan delivery is excellent especially when contrasted with Sheldon's detached offensiveness.

Howard... Merkats.... 'Nuff said. 

Sheldon : Roots ? Secret handshake (with a little jiggy at the end) ? Having to be reminded that somebody's death is "sad" ? Made me giggle. While  I was at times a bit uncomfortable with his handling of Amy, I usually take my cue from her to see if I should be upset with his behaviour. In this episode, she took his little jabs with an eyeroll so I stick by her reaction. 

Though I have to say one of Sheldon's remarks made me pause a bit. When he said "those moments when you worship me really keep you in the running" reminded me of something Roger Ebert (RIP, great guy) once said when reviewing Boyfriends and Girfriends : he pointed out that, ultimately, when it comes to love, we are all pushovers desperate for appreciation. The people we are most likely to love are those who love us too. Sheldon embodies that to a certain extent : on the one hand, he is a self-sufficent, self-serving creature who has no natural inclination for romance; on the other, he is eager to be appreciated and cannot  not notice that nobody (man, woman, animal or vegetal) will ever love and accept him like Amy so he keeps the relationship going. 

Raj made me laugh : I like his "I am the 1%" problems. And the way his eyes kept going back to Penny's bosoms... Like a moth to a flame. 

Penny and Leonard were as charming as ever. I loved that Penny was neither worshiping Leonard nor being a "stage mom" type who wants her man to make it, no matter what. She could tell he wanted tenure and did her no-nonsense best to help him get it, without compromising too much of his integrity and wide-eyed innocence.

Furthermore, and that is an ongoing theme this year, I particularly enjoyed the way Penny and Leonard can laugh with and at each other : the "pretty waitress at the Cheesacake Fatory = tenure" joke, the "I'm a naive idiot / Oh good, you heard me" remark, the joke about killing some of the older professors so everybody can get tenure, "hit them with double barrels"... They communicate effortlessly with each other, can mock each other without any feeling getting hurt. It is a thrill to see how much progress they have made and the ease with which they navigate their relationship. 

All in all, a good episode but a bit too "clippy". 

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 3