75 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I can't believe people are obsessing over the length of the episode.  Sometimes episodes are short simply because the scenes just aren't that long.  Sometimes an episode may run long in what it taped, and certain seems may be trimmed, etc., but some episodes are going to be somewhat shorter, depending on how a scene plays and how it's edited.

Ohh gee, sorry teacher  :icon_wink:

Edited by vasu

I think the reasons why people are obsessing about the short time of this episode is that it seemed short, and the scenes that people really enjoyed seemed clipped. After waiting through March Madness, getting an episode that even if for artistic reasons was editied such that it seem clipped, and was actually short by the clock was just annoying. There seems to be an astonishing number of different commercials too (are they selling 10 second commercials now?). My main point is waiting so long for a new episode in the middle of the season, (they are running at best two a month since New Year's) and then getting one that both seemed and was short is annoying. They don't seem to go longer. How about a 25 minute episode sometimes?

Oh, they're mostly harmless. They are (in my opinion) a little to invested in the Shamy, but as long as you don't attack that they are quite reasonable, and many are concerned about the way Sheldon has been treating Amy in the past few episodes. If you want creepy, go to the Shennys.

you are so very right with the creepy shennies!

I enjoyed it. Loved Howard being so snarky. Didn't care much for Leonard's painful scene at the gym, which was way too OTT for me to appreciate.  I see Amy and Sheldon heading for some kind of showdown... she is good at the long-suffering bit with the rolling of the eyes and has apparently a huge amount of patience, but I can't see that going on forever before she gets fed up.

Penny looked amazing but it kind of made me laugh because how inappropriate is it to wear your most revealing dress to a funeral? 

• Like 2

Penny being present with Leonard at a meeting of academics would be very odd.How will he introduce her... his girlfriend the waitress? I doubt that having a waitress as a girlfriend would help him with his tenure chances. Amy laid out exactly why she would help Sheldon because she is a respected scientist in her own right who would fit into the academic crowd.

You may be right about that but Sheldon has already killed his chance by his previous bad behavior especially towards the HR woman and the President of the University. Leonard would have no need to really explain what Penny did

You may be right about that but Sheldon has already killed his chance by his previous bad behavior especially towards the HR woman and the President of the University. Leonard would have no need to really explain what Penny did

If Sheldon had already killed his chance, then the HR woman wouldn't have put him on the short list. ;)

• Like 2

Well Leonard would have to introduce Penny to others right? And the waitress thing will come out.

And ya Sheldon starts on a back foot but Amy could help him.Academics love and more importantly "respect" other academics.

Edited by Kutra

Well Leonard would have to introduce Penny to others right? And the waitress thing will come out.

And ya Sheldon starts on a back foot but Amy could help him.Academics love and more importantly "respect" other academics.

Kutra

I believe you are missing the whole point of Penny's sex appeal. Pretty people have an advantage in this world and proved to be hired more often over less attractive people with better credentials. OK Lenard, in fact done of the Nerds are what we might call Pretty or Handsome. So the next best thing is to have a Beautiful mate. You must be something special to have a beautiful women hanging on your arm.  It doesn't matter that Penny is only a waitress her personal perceived Identity is ACTRESS which sounds a lot better than waitress to the academic crowd.

If Sheldon had already killed his chance, then the HR woman wouldn't have put him on the short list. ;)

You are correct about that. I should have said that his behavior could be a reason he doesn't get tenure.IMO

I would predict that she blows up and delivers an ultimatum in the last episode of the season. Then everyone can stew and fuss over it during the summer guaranteeing great ratings for the opener next season. But does anyone seriously doubt that they'll end up together when the show finally ends? I think  we already know how the story will end.

What you say makes logical sense, but didn't TPTB say that there would be no cliffhangers in the finale?  Do you think they lied to us?

Kutra

I believe you are missing the whole point of Penny's sex appeal. Pretty people have an advantage in this world and proved to be hired more often over less attractive people with better credentials. OK Lenard, in fact done of the Nerds are what we might call Pretty or Handsome. So the next best thing is to have a Beautiful mate. You must be something special to have a beautiful women hanging on your arm.  It doesn't matter that Penny is only a waitress her personal perceived Identity is ACTRESS which sounds a lot better than waitress to the academic crowd.

I have no doubt Fruit Loop is right about the hiring of the attractive people and Penny being introduced as an actress. My point was more that they were only going to a memorial service not a university function.There wasn't going to be a lot of chatting going on with people at the service. Most people (not L/P, S/A, and Raj) were there to pay their respects. The only thing the tenure committee was going to notice was if they were there and who they were there with. As Fruit Loop pointed out they are going to think that Leonard is someone special being there with Penny. Kutra you may be right if this was at some other university function but Amy only benefit at the memorial service is to prevent Sheldon from saying or doing something inappropriate.

Kutra

That's hilarious! Pretty people might have an advantage in this world and I will say that Kaley/Penny normally looks fab. But wearing that kind of dress to a memorial service/academic function is completely inappropriate and only served to make her look trashy not classy. Furthermore, being an actress is not a glamorous profession anymore and I doubt an academic audience would be too impressed with her chosen profession. So, if Leonard does get tenure, it'll be on the merit of his work as it should be not because he was with an 'actress'.

That's hilarious! Pretty people might have an advantage in this world and I will say that Kaley/Penny normally looks fab. But wearing that kind of dress to a memorial service/academic function is completely inappropriate and only served to make her look trashy not classy. Furthermore, being an actress is not a glamorous profession anymore and I doubt an academic audience would be too impressed with her chosen profession. So, if Leonard does get tenure, it'll be on the merit of his work as it should be not because he was with an 'actress'.

Ultimately you are right about the merit of his work. It doesn't matter what Penny does. On second thought you may be also right how appropriate her dress was. To me it was somewhat between classy and trashy. Though to me Penny's actual profession at that point really didn't matter because I don't really think it was ever really going to be discussed. I guess will never know what really happened at the memorial service. It leaves us to discuss the possibilities. 

Edited by Chrismo

I would really like to see a resolution of the tenure issue though. I'd hate if they left us hanging! I kind of hope that Kripke gets it too. Out of all the boys, only his schmoozing appeared to work and he did look great in that suit:icon_mrgreen: 

• Like 1

I would really like to see a resolution of the tenure issue though. I'd hate if they left us hanging! I kind of hope that Kripke gets it too. Out of all the boys, only his schmoozing appeared to work and he did look great in that suit:icon_mrgreen: 

Kripke was not on the short list and the fact that the 3 BBT PhD were, tells me this is a dead issue with the writers. They are not going to follow it up. It is kind of like what Lenard said about the Ring. There would one happy guy with no more friends.

Edited by Fruit Loop

Kutra

Pretty people have an advantage but not in such situations.It is pretty rare for a tenured professor to have a waitress as a girlfriend or as a wife. Having a waitress as a girlfriend does not matter however pretty will never look good in certain situations.An academic crowd is one such situation.

Penny is no actress,her primary source of income is waitressing,

Edited by Kutra

Guest DroneInTheSun

Kripke was not on the short list and the fact that the 3 BBT PhD were, tells me this is a dead issue with the writers. They are not going to follow it up. It is kind of like what Lenard said about the Ring. There would one happy guy with no more friends.

It never said that Kripke isn't on the short list.

• Like 2

Shewwy

I agree Penny's breasts being push that far up is trash. However the Writers did that for comic relief and Effect. They wanted Penny really out there because she is normally very Sexy no matter what she is wearing.

I'm seem to remember reading a post that the writers planned a low key, intimate season finale. Last year's would sort of qualify in that sense. Everything that happened in the S5 finale culminated in the final scene, which had no cliffhangers and everything was all right, and indeed hopeful, for all the ships. TBBT doesn't seem to need a cliffhanger at the end of the season.

S1 - Leonard and Penny go out on their first date

S2 - Penny secretly admits not wanting Leonard to leave, guys go to the Arctic

S3 - Sheldon meets Amy, Penny booty calls Leonard

S4 - Penny volunteers that breaking up with Leonard was a mistake, Raj sleeps with Penny, Priya moves back to India

S5 - Howard goes to the ISS, everyone holds hands

The only one that was a cliffhanger was S4, as it was a real shocker for Penny (to appear) to sleep with Raj. Every other season semms to me to have ended on a positive, forward looking note, but nothing dramatic (except the fans jonesing for the next season about ten seconds after the episode ended).

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 2