The 7 Season?

ahmed

It was interesting as it was a three year renewal, if I remember correctly. And the show wasn't near as popular as now.

What was interesting was that the show ratings actually fell during the fourth season, the season it was renewed for three years (The announcement was on January 12, 2011).

However, there was a reason for the renewal during a fall in ratings. During the third season, it had been on at 9:30 Mondays, after the high rated Two and a Half Men (TAAHM). For the fourth season, it came on at 8:00 PM, on Thursdays, with no lead in, and a lead out that was cancelled half way through the year. There are generally more people watching at 9:30 than there are at 8:00PM. And, going from a high rated lead in, to a lead out that was bleeding viewers, also lowered ratings. On top of that, Fox had moved American Idol to Thursdays, so TBBT was going up against the highest rated series on TV at the time.

Despite all of this, it only lost an average of 1 million total viewers per episode (to 13.8 million). And, while it's demo rating dropped by almost a point(to 4.4), it's share stayed the same (14)(what this means is basically that while less total people were watching TV(more people were doing something other than watching TV), the fourth season, the same amount of people were watching TBBT in season four as were watching in season three). In total viewers it finished 13 (12th in season 3)

For the time period 8-8:30 on Thursdays (remembering it wasn't on, at that time, the year before) it increased total viewers by almost a million, by almost a full rating point(.8) in the 18-49 demo, and a full point in the 25-54 demo. As a point of comparison, this year (the sixth), TBBT is averaging 7.3 in the 18-49 demo (up 2.9 ratings points from season four) with an average of 18.8 million viewers (up 5 million viewers from season four).

CBS was right in having faith in the show. There is not another entertainment show that cracks a 6.0 in the 18-49 demo.NCIS has a higher amount of total viewers, but it doesn't have as many of the 18-49 crowd. The only shows that do manage to get about a six, are typically sports shows mostly football (American Football) or special sports events or other special events. Those can be ridiculous. For instance, the 2013 Super Bowl had a 39.4, 18-49 rating, with 110 million viewers. Think about that when you see a 7.3 with 19 million viewers for TBBT.

• Like 3

So have they renewed seasons over 7? Will there be season 8? Does somebody know, or will the show end after next season?

It's not going to end after next season.  It's just a matter of how many seasons they'll renew for this time around.

• Like 1

There is NO doubt!  They will have a season 8.  But considering this is the back-end of the show when we hear the renewal info, I bet it will only be one season renewal at a time, then if they do well season 9 will be determined at the end of 2014. 

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

It was weird to see a Facebook announcement that CBS posted on their website stating the renewal for a 7th season. They wrote as if it was news.

Yeah, I saw that and was suprised--like it was new news.  And also, when I clicked on the link, I couldn't see anything at all about TBBT, let alone anything regarding renewal status.

I believe the longevity of the show will depend on the actors themselves staying. I think the Market share will not drop enough for BBT to be canceled. At least not in the next few years. So far Kaley Cucco appears to be the only player to have broken out as Celebrity artist doing hosting and commercials besides her Role on BBT. At this point all the other actors seem to be depend on the BBT as their only present claim to fame. While Jim Parsons is a Veridical actor that has up staged his fellow actors, I believe he will alway be tagged as Sheldon or a Sheldon type cast member. I feel the total Cast with the exception of Kaley Cucco are better off riding BBT into the sunset. Kaley Cucco I suspect already has offers to do Big Screen roles. While I know some feel Penny is not an asset to BBT, I fear that if she leaves it will spell the end of BBT. In Fact Johnny, Jim or Kaley leaving would end the BBT. The rest of the Cast could be replaced or written out with out any major problems.

Edited by Fruit Loop

I don't think any of them are planning on leaving before the show ends.  They've all said that they're in it til the end.

Jim will do fine--he's done 2 Broadway plays and has a Golden Globe and 2 Emmys.

I don't know of Kaley doing anything outside of TBBT apart from her Priceline gig, which is a good one.

Johnny's also done at least one play during hiatus and has been in the business since he was a kid.

They're all fine actors and being in a #1 show raises their profile for other roles.  Once BBT ends, I'm sure they'll all do fine.

Talent will out.

• Like 2

They're all fine actors and being in a #1 show raises their profile for other roles.  Once BBT ends, I'm sure they'll all do fine.

Talent will out.

Not just talent. The entire cast has (and continues to get) a reputation for professionalism and an easy-to-work-with interaction with the rest of the production company. Given a choice between two performers, one who has talent, but is near impossible to work with, and another with slightly less talent, but a reputation of being willing to work to make sure the production goes smoothly, that second person will win out almost every time. Word gets around in the entertainment business and the cast's work ethic and personal interactions will serve them well in the future, whatever projects they work on down the road. They have the talent, their other qualities aren't always so prevalent in Hollywood.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

I think Jim has a great deal of range and wide enough appeal to do just about whatever he wants during and/or after BBT. Don't see him being typecast as a Sheldon-y character at all, tbh. He may always play quirky character roles, since that's his strength, but he's really a brilliant actor all around. And I think he enjoys doing live theater/Broadway, so he can have a great career on stage if that's what he chooses after BBT.

• Like 1

I think they will stay in as long as the writing is good and they can do a play or something in the breaks. Kaley's gigs are hosting awards shows, which shouldn't take too much time away from the show, and they can always cut back the season to fewer episodes. Or they can stack the breaks instead of spreading them out. Since New Year's we've averaged two episodes a month. If they just stacked them up, they could be done by now and give the actors a longer summer break. If the ratings are up, the writing by definition will be good. In "Friends" the writing didn't hold up and the characters didn't evolve. We're six seasons in with no babies, only one marriage and the central couple just settling into a semi-stable relationship. There are a lot of obvious things to develop. There has been minimal stunt casting. "Friends" started that in the first season, and had whole arcs with stunt casting (Tom Selleck for example). It is also a pretty small cast. Through the first three years there was only the core five, and Raj and Howard were definitely smaller roles. Also, in the third season, for all intents and purposes it was the Sheldon Show, which I actually did like very much. I think they didn't know how to write Penny and Leonard as a couple, and as Sheldon was a breakout character, the writers just ran with it. I really thought there was a chance that they were going to write Penny out at one point, but I'd like to think they had a longer term plan. In another thread it was pointed out that "The Wheaton Recurrance", painful as it was, turned out to be necessary emergency surgery, as they could reset the show and get us to where we are now. Again, I thimk that happened in "Friends" as I've read interviews with the show runners that they really didn't write Ross and Rachel as a couple until they watched the pilot, then they realized that the actors had amazing chemistry. The problem was they didn't know how to write them, and hooked them up too soon. Then they flanderized Ross into the always getting married guy, and it just got more ridiculous. I liked the show, but only in reruns. TBBT is far better as the characters are much more three dimensional. "Friends" was all about the relationships and the group. There's something else going on in the TBBT. What other show could have Steven Hawking, Buzz Aldrin and Mike Massamino as guest stars?

• Like 1

@fruit loop--some cast members and kaley talk about

going 10 seasons.

kaley-- do not think would leave.

john--same

jim-- had a problem with last contract  

Yes you are correct and I have seen both Kaley & Johnny give interviews stating they want a 10th season. My thinking was more toward the fact I believe Kaley gets the most exposure of all the cast. I believe she is in demand more so than the Others. However IMHO Jim Parsons is almost as strange as his Character.  I am not so sure he isn't trying to up stage everyone for his own self Glory not unlike his character.  Maybe I am have trouble separating the Person from their Character.

///

If they are wise and consider other examples of long running, high-rated sitcoms, they'll ride TBBT like Zorro. The only one of Friends that had much of an acting career after the show ended was Courtney Cox, and she had a very solid career in movies before Friends. People often speak of the Seinfeld Curse too. I don't think that will happen with TBBT actors, but there is a lesson tobe learned here. Comedy is hard, and when you've got something that works, hang in there. When the writing gets weak, that's when you need to move on. Ten years, give or take a season, is likely to be right.