Pics From My Play.

Tensor

Ok, I promised to produce some pictures of my play this past weekend.   It was part of a 10 minute play festival and the name of the play was "War Hero".  I was a homeless vet, from the Vietnam War, who talks to a woman  walking by.  My character is friendly, genial, and likes to talk about the Civil War.    Near the end of the play, while talking about a Civil War battle, I have a flashback to a bad experience in Vietnam.  

I picked the following picture for comparison:

http://datadave.zenfolio.com/p245046413/h59d0a088#h59d0a0b4

However, if you want to see the rest of the pictures from the show, click on the various thumbnails on the right or the picture.

After finishing this play on Sunday, I had to rush to a dress rehearsal for a show that opened tonight.  Fortunately for me, there was a TV in our green room, with a DVR and I was able to watch parts of TBBT during intermission and times when I as off stage.  On Monday, I shaved and got my hair cut.  Monday night, I had a couple of pictures taken with my tux (for the scene just prior to the wedding of my character's brother.   That picture is below and you can compare it to the previous link:

post-8079-0-51462000-1365139791_thumb.jp

I apologize for the size, but for some reason, except for this picture, I'm having trouble shrinking the size of the picture, while maintaining a decent picture.  Feel free to make disparaging comments.....

• Like 9

Does this make you a practising thespian? Like with a union card? I'm just gonna say you are lucky that you have to shave your head. Nature is helping me out there.

Looks like this is a fun thing to do. I would die if i had to do it  - but it does look like fun.

To all, I prefer the beard.   I wasn't able to grow one until I was about 26-27.  By then, I was not allowed to because of being in the military.  Once I got out, the various jobs I had made it inconvenient to grow one.  Now, I let it grow when I want, and cut it when I want.   It does go good with the bike though.  

Walnut, moonbase, you're both kinda sorta right.   It's the  funny beginning of the story that leads to my flashback.  Prior to 498, the woman was asking me questions about my service and I was trying to avoid answering.  At one point, (no picture) she grabs me to turn me to make eye contact with her.  At that point, I pull away wide eyed and scared, so I make a joke while I start the story of an ambush of Sherman's troops in Georgia.   The actual flashback starts a couple of paragraphs later, just prior to picture 500, while talking about the ambush.   The woman I worked with was amazing with her reactions to my stories, breakdown, and recovery.  

It's a very good release and a lot of fun.  Being someone else and fixing their problems every night is, in some ways cathartic.    I've been off stage for about 10 minutes and will be until intermission (which gives me another 15 minutes).  So I'm doing a quick post.   I've got my tux on right now.....LOL.   

Does this make you a practising thespian? Like with a union card? 

I'm practicing, and have even gotten paid ("War Hero" was a paid gig), but I am not a member of Equity, so not a union member.   There are many paid jobs without being a member of Equity, but being a member does have benefits for those trying to do it as a professional.   For someone like me, it's just not worth it.   My daughter is the Equity member of the family and her application for SAG is currently pending.  There won't be a problem (since she is already a member of Equity), the paperwork just has to go through channels and her initiation payment has to clear.  

Looks like this is a fun thing to do. I would die if i had to do it  - but it does look like fun.

You'd be surprised on how you wouldn't die.   We get first timers in all the time.  By the time you have an audience (which you can't really see because of the lights), you have rehearsed it over and over and over and over.  Not to mention you're so busy remembering lines, where you need to go, facial reactions (which is one reason I love Kaley so much, her facial reactions can be so varied and are awesome), your reactions to other actors lines, that you sorta forget that there is an audience there, unless they are reacting (laughs, awwwws, etc).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...

By the way, you do realize that a 'homeless vet' is about as unoriginal and clicheed character as you could find for a play?

I mean did you intentionally pick an overused character for the play so as to make the audiences yawn loudly?

Just askin.

Next time, try pick a character that is original and novel, like a white bloke from Missouri who actually graduated from college! :icon_razz:

Yeah...

By the way, you do realize that a 'homeless vet' is about as unoriginal and clicheed character as you could find for a play?

You do realize that as a 100% rated, mostly from mental health issues caused by being in combat, disabled vet, that it's pretty original, and rather personal, for me?  And you do realize the the specifics, of the character, is what differentiates each character. Perhaps you can show how the reason this particular character became homeless is clichéd.

I mean did you intentionally pick an overused character for the play so as to make the audiences yawn loudly?

I didn't write it.  I'm the performer that has to try to make the audience care about my character.   And, actually, the audiences, from their comments after the show,  were quite pleased, cared about the character and several actually cried.  Could you have made sillier  comments concerning stuff you obviously don't really know about? 

Just askin.

Just asking

Next time, try pick a character that is original and novel, like a white bloke from Missouri who actually graduated from college! :icon_razz:

Well can you explain to me which part of the dialogue you considered unoriginal?  Or how exactly the dialogue isn't novel? Or are you just making assumptions without knowing what you are criticizing?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ok, I promised to produce some pictures of my play this past weekend.   It was part of a 10 minute play festival and the name of the play was "War Hero".  I was a homeless vet, from the Vietnam War, who talks to a woman  walking by.  My character is friendly, genial, and likes to talk about the Civil War.    Near the end of the play, while talking about a Civil War battle, I have a flashback to a bad experience in Vietnam.  

I picked the following picture for comparison:

http://datadave.zenfolio.com/p245046413/h59d0a088#h59d0a0b4

However, if you want to see the rest of the pictures from the show, click on the various thumbnails on the right or the picture.

Is THIS you as well?

http://datadave.zenfolio.com/p245046413/h59d0a088#h59d0a3ee

And if so, WHY prithee is this not your profile pic?

The whole thing looks brilliant. Like some sort of cross between The Nibelungenlied and any number of Becket plays.

Well done!

Frankenstein pics to go here as well, yes?

Yes.

Is THIS you as well?

http://datadave.zenfolio.com/p245046413/h59d0a088#h59d0a3ee

And if so, WHY prithee is this not your profile pic?

No, it is not. The whole thing was a presentation of nine, newly written plays, ten minute plays. The one you thought was me, was in one of them, the final play. A guy comes out and starts talking to each of the characters, as if it is a group session and he is their therapist. All of them have some quirk and the therapist loses control and all the characters run off the stage. It's at that point that the real therapist shows up and starts talking to the guy you thought was the therapist in the first place. He has a nine way split personality, and all the characters he lost control of, were his his different personalities.

The whole thing looks brilliant. Like some sort of cross between The Nibelungenlied and any number of Becket plays.

Well done!

Ahhhhhh, I wish it could have been me. That play was brilliant and did win the best comedy though.

Frankenstein pics to go here as well, yes?

Yes.

Oh yes, they will.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I just took the time to look at the pictures and loved 'em :) looks like the play was great :) congratulations!