Tenure  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should get the Tenure

• Sheldon
    • Leonard
    • Raj
    • Kripke
    • None of the above

My reflection was not addressed to the fact you voted Kripke for the poll. That is your personal choice and respect that.

I rather tried to voice my opinion about the writers that they might do as they are pleased or according to their personal views rather that from what I've mentioned from the post above (24)

Perhaps I should not have quoted your post :)

While I don't think it will be resolved, unless at some point it's mentioned in passing that someone we've never heard of got the position, I do think that it would be funnier if it were to go to Kripke.

If Leonard were to get it, I think that Sheldon would rationalize it by going with his earlier statement that tenure just makes people complacent.  He already scoffs at Leonard's work, so he would probably comment that Leonard's work is just going to stagnate or go downhill.

But if Kripke got it, as others have said, it could be fuel for more Kwipke/Cooper antagonism.

But, anyway, like I said, I don't think they plan to revisit or resolve this issue.

Am I missing something here? Is this about meritocracy or bsed only on scientific achievements? Or perhaps just because we favour someone instead of the other on the TBBT show? I just wonder, because in that case judgement that holds power should be vested in individuals according to merit. Advancement in such a system is based on perceived intellectual talent measured through examination and/or demonstrated achievement in the field where it is implemented.

I don't think the episode was meant to be a realistic depiction of the tenure system, but merely to show the guys trying to find ways to make themselves stand out as candidates.  Leonard did talk about letting his work stand for itself, but then realized that if he were to try to make a favorable impression on the committee members, that the value of his work might be underscored by a favorable personal impression.

This is the same conclusion the other guys came to.

It's like a job interview--your resume, references, and experience are technically the elements you should be judged on, compared to other candidates, but your personal impression when you go to the interview is often the deciding factor.  If you and another candidate are equally qualified, but you make a better impression in the interview (dressed well, positive, courteous, confident, etc.), then that could be the deciding factor.

So if the guys are all equally deserving in terms of their research, etc., then the thing that may tip the choice in one individual's favor (according to the episode) is the personal impression they make on the individual members of the committee, etc.  That's why they were each trying to improve Mrs. Davis' opinion of them as a person.

But as others have pointed out, that's not really how it works in the real world.  But it does make for some good comedy. ;)

I couldn't agree more. It will probably be mentioned in passing in a future episode that some other "bigger butt kisser" got it and that will be that. It would be somewhat comical though if Leslie Winkle got it.

Sorry, you all are Dreaming. The writers are done with Tenure and won't be following up this episode. No one gets Tenure.

I really don't think they should try to portray the tenure process too accurately, as from personal experience I know it is tedious. I'm glad to have it, but the process is definitely nothing to write a comedy about. The concept of tenure was portrayed accurately enough, and its desireabilty.

I take the main point at the end to heart, in that in the eyes of those preparing the short list, Raj, Sheldon and Leonard were all qualified on the basis of their work. Whether one is better or not was not addressed, but they were all good enough to be serious candidates. I don't think we've seen enough of their work to truly judge anything about it. Claims by Sheldon and Beverly to the derivative nature or Leonard's work is baloney. Beverly is not a physical scientist, and as a result is not sufficiently knowledgable to make a judgement. She takes her cues from Sheldon. Sheldon derides Leonard's work as derivative simply because has no respect for anything but theoretical work. Anything that isn't theoretical is derivative in his book. We've also seen that Sheldon's work is not all that bulletprooof. The math error in the paper he gave Hawking, the weakness of his ideas on fusion with respect to Kripke's, Dennis Kim's opinion of his work, and Leslie Winkle correcting his work such that he would have to share credit with her. I'm sure he does fine work, but nothing to warrant his stadium-sized ego.

There are certainly academicians that look down on both waitresses and actresses, but they are generally in the minority. Most faculty I know are more interesting in whether you are interesting to talk to at parties, regardless of the job. If Penny told fun stories from the Cheesecake Factory, she'd be just fine regardless of her looks. In fact, the sort of people tha would look down on her woudl definitely be those I would avoid as tedious and boring, as they would want to go on about their work, which I'm likely not to want to hear about it.

"Claims by Sheldon and Beverly to the derivative nature on Leonard's work is baloney. Beverly is not a physical scientist, and as a result is not sufficiently knowledgable to make a judgement. She takes her cues from Sheldon. Sheldon derides Leonard's work as derivative "

I just would like to add that Beverly said to Leonard, when visiting him at Caltech, that there was not much point for her to see what his son was doing in the laboratory, because she could simply read the papers from the Italian scientists who had already experimented on what Leonard was working on. Somehow this would suggest that Leonard's experimental work is of derivative nature.

Edited by wannamaker

Whether Beverly is a physical scientist or not has no effect on her ability to judge whether work is derivative or not. All science works the same way, be it physical, natural or medical. Having said that, the assertion that Leonard does only derivative work is nonsense: he is a research scientist, by definition he does original work. Theoreticians derive their theories from empirical data and refine them and experimentalists derive their experiments from theories and provide more evidence to refine the theories. So either all work is derivative or it's all original. Beverly's comment about reading the papers instead of seeing Leonard's work were just suggesting that other people published that stuff already before Leonard did, it doesn't make it derivative. All it takes is to be a couple of months behind someone who's working on your same topic concurrently and they can get published first and steal your thunder. 

It's the nature of the show unfortunately. They drop plotlines all the time, which is a shame. I also doubt it will be mentioned again, but it's fun to speculate! 

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the "Cooper - Nowitzki Theorem"? You know the episdoe where that redhead helped Sheldon with his work. And in the end he was successful, but it hasn't been mentioned since.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the "Cooper - Nowitzki Theorem"? You know the episdoe where that redhead helped Sheldon with his work. And in the end he was successful, but it hasn't been mentioned since.

Did you know the girl that played Ramona Nowitzki (Riki Lindhome) is 1/2 of a musical act comprised of herself & the girl that plays Lucy (Kate Micucci)?.. It's true.

• Like 1

Did you know the girl that played Ramona Nowitzki (Riki Lindhome) is 1/2 of a musical act comprised of herself & the girl that plays Lucy (Kate Micucci)?.. It's true.

Yes, their names are Garfunkel and Oates.

• Like 1

LOL, indeed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfunkel_and_Oates

@Anomaly: I know you mentioned somewhere in another thread that we actually haven't seen Sheldon's genius in the show - and I tend to agree. That's why I think this episode (C.N.-Theorem) is so important as to how Sheldon is capable to achieve a real breakthrough. First (and only time?) we witness this in the show (except maybe for that episode with the graphene problem ...).

Edited by Berliner

• 8 months later...

Oh please the writers loves Sheldon so much there is no way they will give it to Leonard over their precious Sheldon. So either Sheldon will get it or they will give it to Barry K.

As for Leonard having Penny --- the same can be said that Sheldon has Amy. Big deal!!

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 3

Oh please the writers loves Sheldon so much there is no way they will give it to Leonard over their precious Sheldon. So either Sheldon will get it or they will it to Barry K.

As for Leonard having Penny --- the same can be said that Sheldon has Amy. Big deal!!

Really? Well, we will see won't we.

Big deal? I thought getting Penny was the purpose of Leonard. So yes it is a big deal unless you hate her too.

Edited by Moonbase

I always thought it would be Leonard who would get Tenure. And frankly this season he had some success. Sheldon was really close with that element but then it got disproved. I wouldn't bet for Raj because a few seasons ago he literally had nothing to do so he went to work for/with Sheldon. My guess is Leonard but I am not sure.